Last post by Suicidal ShiZuru
Today 03:31 PM
6 Replies, 632 Views
» Promotion

Old 03-05-2013, 04:11 AM   #1
Suicidal ShiZuru
Mutual Hatred

Dead Space 4 Has Been Cancelled

Videogamer.com is reporting that EA has cancelled development of Dead Space 4. This is rather shocking but after not reaching the touted marker of five million units in sales I suppose it should have been expected from the likes of such a publisher.

Quote:
Speaking on condition of anonymity, a source familiar with the unannounced project told VideoGamer.com that Dead Space 4 had been in pre-production at Visceral Games, with a small team at Visceral Montreal allegedly tasked with developing prototypes and mock-ups for the title, and collaborating on ideas for the game's narrative.

However, the project was cancelled after Dead Space 3 failed to meet its sales targets, our source claims, telling us that EA executives visited Visceral Montreal last month to inform staff that the project had been terminated and announce details of the company's restructuring.
Hopefully this may enlighten some at EA to the damage they do when clawing away at formerly good publishers and letting their talons sink deeper and deeper into a good IP until it bleeds out in a slow and agonizing death.
Suicidal ShiZuru is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:32 AM   #2
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Hey, EA, that decision to make it into more of an action title and less of a horror title is sure looking like a good call right now, eh?
Old 03-05-2013, 06:35 AM   #3
Taiso
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
Hey, EA, that decision to make it into more of an action title and less of a horror title is sure looking like a good call right now, eh?
This thread is already over. Thanks for spoiling everyone else's fun, EvAv.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:41 AM   #4
AspectVoid
Evil Dead

To be honest, I'm fine with it being killed. These days, I'm finding sequelities to be a disease in the industry. I would say turn an IP into no more than a trilogy and then kill it and make something new. And yes, that even includes franchises that I love.
AspectVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:42 AM   #5
steved
Soul Reaper

Have you actually played it, Evil? There's still enough horror in it for my taste, thou it's probably a bit too easy (my inventory is overflowing with medkits, maybe I should have started at a higher difficulty level).

The beginning isn't very good, but it gets back to quality once you actually reach space. The ice planet is also great, a very welcome change, and captures the mood of The Thing very well. Introducing the stupid love triangle story arc didn't help thou.
steved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:49 AM   #6
Jotoco
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
Sad thing is that the big guys making the calls will never know this. And if they know this, they will never believe it was their fault. They will close the studio and do this to the next big IP they buy. AND still be receiving millions in bonus.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:14 AM   #7
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved View Post
Have you actually played it, Evil? There's still enough horror in it for my taste, thou it's probably a bit too easy (my inventory is overflowing with medkits, maybe I should have started at a higher difficulty level).
I'm not that far into it. I'm finding the crafting system to be a chore and while they ramped up the difficulty on some of the enemies, it seems like it is still an easier game on the highest difficulty level than it was on the medium difficulty level in Dead Space 2.

The biggest flaw so far seems to be that the studio wasted resources on a whole co-op campaign that I'll never see.

Plus, I noticed right away that I didn't have one of the items I needed to open a door in a side quest and once I got that item it wouldn't let me go back to the side quest. WTF?

It isn't a bad title at all, but if it is getting average scores from most gamers and selling poorly they must have done something wrong.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:16 AM   #8
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jotoco View Post
Sad thing is that the big guys making the calls will never know this. And if they know this, they will never believe it was their fault. They will close the studio and do this to the next big IP they buy. AND still be receiving millions in bonus.
It's Mirror's Edge all over again. If DICE wasn't the developer of the Battlefield franchise, they would have been closed too.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:23 AM   #9
DeadPixel
Evil Dead

I would have purchased it had it come out on Steam, but what's one extra sale to EA?
DeadPixel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:32 AM   #10
PSPfreak
Evil Dead

Oh, please. Bitching about the "switch to action?" Really? DS is still an outstanding series that somehow doesn't sell much but yet the newest COD always sells millions upon millions. It really does make me sick.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintBlitzkrieg View Post
I don't believe in reviews.
PSPfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:32 AM   #11
Sammael
Nope, nope. Not this time

So, the rotted corpse of Dead Space gets tossed into the corner and EA looks for another IP to run through the ringer. Surprise, surprise. The 1st one was the best. I loved that there was a fresh feeling game from EA a few years ago...

Biggest Ranger Fan on EA!!!!!!!!
Lets go Rangers!!!!
Sammael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:33 AM   #12
Azrael
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPixel View Post
I would have purchased it had it come out on Steam, but what's one extra sale to EA?
Make that 2 extra sales, got Dead Space 1 & Dead Space 2 but now i'll never buy Dead Space 3
Azrael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:39 AM   #13
divinechaos
Plays Rock Band naked

Old 03-05-2013, 07:47 AM   #14
vallor
Evil Dead

Too sad. Unfortunately its not good enough any more to sell 1 or 2 million units. If it isn't 3+ the publishers feel they are wasting their time.

I didn't buy DS3, even though I loved DS1 and liked DS2 mainly because I didn't like what I'd heard about the changes.

I also thought their marketing was bunk. If you want to sell 5m+ units you need better than a few making of or trailers, a couple commercials, some banner ads, and a few print ads. If I had to guess these guys maybe got $10m-$15m in marketing, which is kinda shitty for a game with that ambitious a forecast. That tells me a little about how little faith they had the game would make that forecast from the beginning; no commitment to actually make the franchise resonate.

Anyway, I'm sad to see it go. As someone above mentioned one of the real tragedies that the people that need to be punished for this failure (mainly the executives that mandated the changes and then withheld appropriate marketing dollars) won't be... only the guys at the studio level are going to feel the repercussions.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:52 AM   #15
EL CABONG
Evil Dead

3 is enough DS games for awhile. Maybe in 4 or 5 years bring it back.
EL CABONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:53 AM   #16
Ozena
Discombobulated

So just like that the series is dead? And EA kills Visceral over it, too.

Hopefully we see some decent expanded games or side stories . . . EA might have killed it off, but Dead Space as a sci-fi franchise has a very interesting universe
Old 03-05-2013, 07:55 AM   #17
Ozena
Discombobulated

Sorry for the double post, but speaking of Visceral being re-structured . . . I guess Army of Two: Devil's Cartel is their last game. Or will EA do something with that, as well?
Old 03-05-2013, 08:02 AM   #18
automaton
Evil Dead

I did my part in buying the game, but I can't speak to quality as I haven't started it yet. I'm a little miffed they barely gave the game a month and decide it's not worth continuing the franchise. I'm not entirely sad to hear this though as I feel 3 games in a series is enough. Time for something new. I hope Visceral get that opportunity and the rumors of lay-off don't pan out to be true. They are obviously a very good development house.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:04 AM   #19
MADxMrMike
Evil Dead

This is probably not entirely true. More then likely they will do research on how to make it better for consumers. Maybe a reboot or something. Different story and gameplay. I mean its a pretty established name. They wouldn't waste that.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:08 AM   #20
Raw
UNDUBs 4 ALL

This is great news. WE DON'T NEED ANOTHER DEAD SPACE. Dead Space 3 almost killed the franchise. We don't want another Resident Evil.

As Dead Space is my favorite IP this generation, I would rather see it die with dignity than fall on its face like RE.
Raw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuck you i like it!, mental sub-normals