Last post by Anenome
Yesterday 05:08 PM
19 Replies, 1,189 Views
» Promotion

Old 03-01-2013, 01:57 PM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Lord British Presents

In the spirit of pissing on your childhood memories, we present http://www.lordbritishpresents.com/ which consists of a countdown clock and an Spam-mail signup thing.

Nothing Richard Garriott touches could ever be good, lets hope he isn't involved with this.
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:14 PM   #2
Phoenix1985
Subscriber

Since he's using the name Lord British, I'm guessing another RPG or fantasy setting of some sort. Tabula Rasa, while not really of interest to me, eventually turned somewhat palatable to the people I remember talking about it with, but I still hope it isn't an online venture unless they're releasing something like Ultima Online 2.
Phoenix1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:22 PM   #3
Demo_Boy
@DemoEvolved on Twitter

hey I like presents. I wonder what hes giving away.

Maybe his used underwear to each signup.
Demo_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:34 PM   #4
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix1985 View Post
Tabula Rasa, while not really of interest to me, eventually turned somewhat palatable to the people I remember talking about it with, but I still hope it isn't an online venture unless they're releasing something like Ultima Online 2.
Tabula Rasa went out of business in like 60 days. 'nuff said.

It is worth mentioning that Gamespy gave the game 4 out of 5. Good riddance to bad rubbish that store-bought corporate sites like Gamespy are going out of business.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:58 PM   #5
Mr. Lake
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
Tabula Rasa went out of business in like 60 days. 'nuff said.

It is worth mentioning that Gamespy gave the game 4 out of 5. Good riddance to bad rubbish that store-bought corporate sites like Gamespy are going out of business.
Hey now, Gamespy and the "planet" sites were pretty good before IGN took over. At the very least they had awesome parties.
Old 03-01-2013, 03:06 PM   #6
Mr. Lake
Developer

Also, I hate admitting this... as most of us designers get older, we don't tend to make things as awesome as when we were younger. Call it an inability to evolve, a failure to read the market, or the loss of understanding to innovate on fun activities for a younger audience. Even I sometimes feel like I'm starting to lose my edge, and it's rare that designers get better after a certain generation - some do, most don't. Garriot is OLD, and while Ultima has its place in history it wasn't great to begin with.
Old 03-01-2013, 03:07 PM   #7
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lake View Post
Hey now, Gamespy and the "planet" sites were pretty good before IGN took over. At the very least they had awesome parties.
I think my point is still valid, the game was shit and it failed fairly quickly and the big corporate sites keep feeding us 8, 9 and 10 out of 10 reviews for crap that the second consumers get their hands on it we find out it's shit.

ie, Tomb Raider.

I will not miss more spoon-fed reviews purchased with advertising dollars.
Old 03-01-2013, 03:17 PM   #8
Mav
Moderator & Nerd For Life

Quote:

Nothing Richard Garriott touches could ever be good, lets hope he isn't involved with this.
Ultima Online (prior to some of it's later expansions nerfing the hell out of it's pvp) was pretty damn epic back in the day
Raptr mavgeek
Twitter @Maverickroll
Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:40 PM   #9
julienb01
Dread Lord

Man you can say what you want on the failures of Richard Garriott the truth is he's made the best RPG ever with Ultima 7 that is yet to be matched 20 years later in term of simulating a real living world and he simply created the best MMO with Ultima Online, an experience that will never exist again in today market. Now say what you want, this man is in the Hall of Fame as a pionneer what ever has happened next.
julienb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:44 PM   #10
lockwoodx
Photobomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkumaATR View Post
Lock is untouchable though, he's too cool to be targeted, like ever. He's Detroit's Heisenberg!
lockwoodx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:48 PM   #11
DeluxE
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lake View Post
Garriot is OLD, and while Ultima has its place in history it wasn't great to begin with.
Too funny!

So the fact that these games were essentially the FIRST open world RPGs, and introduced most of the staples of the genre is completely lost on you?

Even in Japan this guy is considered the originator of computer/video RPGs, so much so that Final Fantasy, Dragon Warrior et al were largely inspired by the success of the early Ultima games in that country.

Dude, from one game designer to another, you seriously need to respect your elders.
DeluxE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 04:11 PM   #12
Kreigmstr
Evil Dead

The level of detail in Ultima 4 was amazing for it's time. If had not been introduced to it I would have never became a PC gamer.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:05 PM   #13
walstib
Dread Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by julienb01 View Post
Man you can say what you want on the failures of Richard Garriott the truth is he's made the best RPG ever with Ultima 7 that is yet to be matched 20 years later in term of simulating a real living world and he simply created the best MMO with Ultima Online, an experience that will never exist again in today market. Now say what you want, this man is in the Hall of Fame as a pionneer what ever has happened next.
Ultima 7, 7.5, and 4 are three of the best classic rpg games i have ever had the pleasure of playing.

The rest are a mix bag but those three are simply amazing for their time.

I miss my old 800XL.
walstib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:18 PM   #14
dirtbag
野郎

I suspect Lord British plans to send cock-pics to our inner children . . .

http://diplodan.wordpress.com/
dirtbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:56 PM   #15
wunshot
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by julienb01 View Post
I completely agree. UO during launch was fucking insanity! I remember selling scrolls for like 12 hours straight porting from town to town. Finally my buddy was like "will you please go fucking kill something??!?!?!", so I grabbed 15 other newbs I found wandering around the countryside and we eventually had some other newb show us a "dungeon". More like a cave since we walked in and a 30 foot giant spider ate all of us for dinner.
That game, the pvp, its sandbox nature, and all of the unknown elements were EPIC!

Oh and Ultima IV was pretty dope for a 12 year old too.
wunshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:27 PM   #16
Evil_SPanKY
It aint easy being cheezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wunshot View Post
I completely agree. UO during launch was fucking insanity! I remember selling scrolls for like 12 hours straight porting from town to town. Finally my buddy was like "will you please go fucking kill something??!?!?!", so I grabbed 15 other newbs I found wandering around the countryside and we eventually had some other newb show us a "dungeon". More like a cave since we walked in and a 30 foot giant spider ate all of us for dinner.
LOL, I was probably in that party of n00bs getting eaten by giant spiders casting fireball and that bolt spell (cant remember its name now/not lightning)!
Evil_SPanKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:45 PM   #17
Ravijn
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by wunshot View Post
That game, the pvp, its sandbox nature, and all of the unknown elements were EPIC!

Oh and Ultima IV was pretty dope for a 12 year old too.
I remember going to a hedge maze dungeon and getting extorted by the 'Banana Brothers'. They were players dressed all in yellow outfits. They would root you in place and demand money or they would kill you. Fun times.
Ravijn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:52 PM   #18
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

UO was fantastic in the beginning and the more they worked on it the worse it got. I'm not sure I see any reason to give Lord British any credit. Like all developers he is only as good as his last game and his last game sucked.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:06 PM   #19
Azzy
Cthulian

Quote:
UO was fantastic in the beginning and the more they worked on it the worse it got. I'm not sure I see any reason to give Lord British any credit.
except for that first part? /logic boggle
Azzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:52 PM   #20
ElektroDragon
Panzermensch!

Quote:

Nothing Richard Garriott touches could ever be good.
You forgot the key word, "anymore" after touches.