Last post by Venkman
Today 11:53 AM
26 Replies, 1,490 Views
» Promotion

Old 03-01-2013, 12:46 PM   #1
randir14
Subscriber

World of Darkness MMO to be Shown at EVE Fanfest

CCP's World of Darkness MMO is still in development and will be shown at this year's EVE Online Fanfest in April.

Quote:
The secretive MMO is being played internally, CCP CEO Hilmar Veigar Pétursson said, and has benefited from the restructuring that once looked like it had killed the project.

"It's going on very nicely," he told me. "A great example of focus and clearer priorities.

"We're playing it internally at CCP. It's actually a problem that some of our employees are losing themselves already in the World of Darkness as we go through the playtests.

"And we'll be showing a tiny piece of that also at Fanfest. So that is all I have to say about that at this time."
From Eurogamer
randir14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:06 PM   #2
Capt_Thad
Do a Barrell Roll

heh After so long, really hoping this game lives up to my expectations.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:14 PM   #3
Rommel
International Playboy

I know its an MMO but ... do WW games have gameplay? Y'know, beyond emo goth dudes smoking and having depressing sex with each other while the fat girl with the nose stud comments how hot she finds it.
Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:23 PM   #4
rubbishfoo
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
I know its an MMO but ... do WW games have gameplay? Y'know, beyond emo goth dudes smoking and having depressing sex with each other while the fat girl with the nose stud comments how hot she finds it.
You know... that's a great question.

The WW games have IMO one of the best dice systems that I've seen in tabletop gaming. Many will argue (correctly) that the odds are stacked against the players... but that's exactly the point. You aren't here to win or accomplish progression of character... you are here because the world is slowly falling apart. And this is your story of demise...

How well would this translate into a video game? Im very skeptical, but you know... want to believe that it could be done. Troika did a pretty good job of laying the groundwork (which the community later completed)... and showed that it IS possible... but that was a single player game. We're talking MMO here... and while I don't want to sound like an ass for those who enjoy them... I feel that MMOs generally have a lot less "soul" to the game and can't cater to the individual as well due to having to please everyone.

WW games are incredibly personal stories... and I really don't know that you can translate that into a system where the rules are rigidly defined (IE in a computer game).

I want to believe, (cue the shadowy alien saucer)... but just don't know that it is possible.

Hopefully CDPR will deliver on Cyberpunk 2077... that's where my gaming hope is right now.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:24 PM   #5
Demo_Boy
@DemoEvolved on Twitter

yep, its dark.
Demo_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:51 PM   #6
vallor
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubbishfoo View Post
WW games are incredibly personal stories... and I really don't know that you can translate that into a system where the rules are rigidly defined (IE in a computer game).
Yep, there's a reason it's referred to as the "storytelling" system. Sure, you might find an RPG group that actually roleplay's their characters in other PnP systems but, in my experience most RPG groups have a strong combat focus and the story is a fixed narrative that just leads from one encounter to the other.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:07 PM   #7
lockwoodx
Photobomber

Still world of vapor to me
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkumaATR View Post
Lock is untouchable though, he's too cool to be targeted, like ever. He's Detroit's Heisenberg!
lockwoodx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:26 PM   #8
Anenome
Autarchist

Interested, interested.
Anenome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:10 PM   #9
Rommel
International Playboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubbishfoo View Post
You know... that's a great question.

The WW games have IMO one of the best dice systems that I've seen in tabletop gaming. Many will argue (correctly) that the odds are stacked against the players... but that's exactly the point. You aren't here to win or accomplish progression of character... you are here because the world is slowly falling apart. And this is your story of demise...

How well would this translate into a video game? Im very skeptical, but you know... want to believe that it could be done. Troika did a pretty good job of laying the groundwork (which the community later completed)... and showed that it IS possible... but that was a single player game. We're talking MMO here... and while I don't want to sound like an ass for those who enjoy them... I feel that MMOs generally have a lot less "soul" to the game and can't cater to the individual as well due to having to please everyone.

I want to believe, (cue the shadowy alien saucer)... but just don't know that it is possible.

Hopefully CDPR will deliver on Cyberpunk 2077... that's where my gaming hope is right now.
Exactly. WW games are stories, stories where the outcasts from the D&D club go to have creepy gay sex. I mean geez guys, what's wrong with regular gay sex? That's what I do, like an American. Do ya have to drink each other's blood and chant at the moon while you're doing it too? I say no, you should split those activities up and have something to do the next night. Anyway, the few times I have played any games in this system I found the actual gameplay/adjudicating rules vapid and, worse, rare. I have no idea how I grind that loot in a video game.
Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 04:41 PM   #10
Capt_Thad
Do a Barrell Roll

Honestly, I've never played the PnP version of the source material. I'm just wanting a massively co-op/pvp version of Vampire:The Masquerade - Bloodlines. Worst case--and hopefully it's not that bad--it'd be like going from KotOR to SW:tOR, right?

My actual greatest worry is that the game ends up like EVE with vampires. They've only really told us so far that there will be a "focus on player politics and social interaction", along with some kind of players as Princes system. I'm not too keen on purely player driven MMOs. As far as I know, there hasn't been any mention at all at what kind of game systems they'll use or how they'll handle player development/stories.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:59 PM   #11
ElektroDragon
Panzermensch!

Every time I see the word MMO my mind replaces it with "poo" and I tune out.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:01 AM   #12
Chimpbot
King Ghidorah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
I've played plenty of White Wolf games, both from the old and new systems...and none of that was inherent to any of the games.

I'm assuming by "gameplay", you mean "combat"...and yes, there can be plenty of that if the Storyteller and players want it. Werewolf, for example, is entirely built around smashing faces. Vampire has always had a more social/courtly intrigue aspect to it...but its extremely easy to build a physical brute who can ugg-smash his way though any problem.

WoD sometimes gets a bad rap from people who don't take the time to actually figure out what the games are about, but the nWoD d10 system is amazing.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:08 AM   #13
Ravijn
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElektroDragon View Post
Every time I see the word MMO my mind replaces it with "poo" and I tune out.

I'm the opposite of that. Whenever I see the word MMO I see this in my head...

And I am the firefly aka sucker....
Ravijn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:55 PM   #14
Anenome
Autarchist

Afaiconcerned, WoD is the best PnP roleplaying system ever created. I just doubt it can be distilled into a game. Well, Mage can never be made into a game, since Mage, at least how we played it, allows for free-form spells as well as rote ones.

But Vampire and Werewolf would make great games. Of the two, especially Werewolf. Enjoyed greatly the last Vampire game. Would start a Werewolf character in a second.
Anenome is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ccp, world of darkness