Last post by Emabulator
Today 10:49 AM
1 Replies, 366 Views
» Promotion

Old 02-08-2013, 04:57 PM   #1
randir14
Subscriber

Rage Tool Kit Released

Id Software has finally released the mod tools for Rage.

Quote:
Later today on Steam we will be releasing the official tool kit for RAGE – the same tools used to create RAGE and it’s DLC, The Scorchers. From the game’s world building tool, idStudio, to game maps and assets, the kit provides everything you need to get started with modding the first-ever idTech 5 title.

Interested? Before you start downloading the hefty 35+ GB file, the RAGE team has provided some documents to read. As described in the welcome document, these tools provided are complex and aimed towards “technically sophisticated and adventurous” modders.

Welcome to the RAGE Tool Kit

RAGE Tool Kit FAQ and EULA

To download the kit itself, be on the lookout for the RAGE Tool Kit in the Tools section of Steam (the same place you’d download Skyrim’s Creation Kit).

On behalf of everyone at id, we look forward to seeing your creations. If you have something to share, shoot us an email or share it with our id Software Facebook and Twitter accounts.
From BethBlog
randir14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:12 PM   #2
brandonjclark
Subscriber

So fucking Carmack couldn't get a good game out of it but we can?
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:13 PM   #3
Agnostic Pope
Evil Dead

Burn! BUUUUURRRRNNNNNNNN!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicidal ShiZuru View Post
If women didn't have vaginas, men would hunt them with dogs. For sport.
Agnostic Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:25 PM   #4
MasterKwan
Evil Dead

Quote:
So fucking Carmack couldn't get a good game out of it but we can?
I don't think it's fair to blame Carmack for Rage. He did the engine sure but, I imagine other people came up with the plot and gameplay. I never had (m)any complaints about the engine. It's what they did with the engine that made Rage kind of meh. It's a pity. You can look at the hospital level and see that someone had some good ideas. It just wasn't enough to carry the game. The fighting was decent. The player movement was good. Even the driving was good. It just didn't jell into a good game though.

If I had one complaint, it would be that it simply wasn't horrible enough. They threw in some evil elements, but they didn't sustain it. All the ingredients of a good game were there. There just wasn't enough there, there.

I think if people work with the engine and add, say double the number of explorable areas along with more dungeon crawling, they could make it into a good game. Maybe that's what Id needs, to crowd source parts of their games.
MasterKwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:50 PM   #5
DingBat
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterKwan View Post
I don't think it's fair to blame Carmack for Rage. He did the engine sure but, I imagine other people came up with the plot and gameplay. I never had (m)any complaints about the engine. It's what they did with the engine that made Rage kind of meh.
Yes, but...

1. Id has a history lately of focusing on the engines rather than the game
2. With Unreal and CryEngine, the world doesn't really need another game engine

I really don't understand the continued hero worship that Carmack gets. Sure, Doom and Quake were great, but that's getting on 20 years ago now. Id is now a 3rd rate games engine producer and a 3rd rate games developer.
DingBat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:52 PM   #6
Capt_Thad
Do a Barrell Roll

I still haven't beaten the game, but as far as I've gotten (8 or so hours in) it wasn't too bad. Didn't really get all the hate. Might still be coming though, I guess.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:19 PM   #7
ElfShotTheFood
Evil Dead

I liked the game well enough. At least they tried to break the standard corridor-shooter mold they're known for, even though the parts outside of shooting things in corridors could have been better.
ElfShotTheFood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:33 PM   #8
Rommel
International Playboy

idtech5 is the real loser. CryEngine, Unreal tech and Frostbite are all prettier. Considering that there hasn't been a successful idtech since the Quake III engine, I would say this is the end of Carmack's influence.
Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:33 PM   #9
AkumaATR
Jaded Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DingBat View Post
I really don't understand the continued hero worship that Carmack gets. Sure, Doom and Quake were great, but that's getting on 20 years ago now. Id is now a 3rd rate games engine producer and a 3rd rate games developer.
Sometimes when you create amazing tech for decades that pushes a science/hobby forward by leaps and bounds, you get to be in the cool kids club. Sometimes you do such amazing work that you get a lifer card (Doom, Doom2, Quake, Quake 2, Quake 3 -- don't make me go on).

People get old, they sometimes start to put time into other things like rocket science, raising families, etc.

What I can't believe is that people would question this man's street cred. If you were around when Quake shipped you probably wouldn't.

This man is STILL kicking ass and taking names (id Tech 5, major Oculus Rift work). He earned and deserves the praise.
AkumaATR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:49 PM   #10
Rommel
International Playboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkumaATR View Post
Sometimes when you create amazing tech for decades that pushes a science/hobby forward by leaps and bounds, you get to be in the cool kids club. Sometimes you do such amazing work that you get a lifer card (Doom, Doom2, Quake, Quake 2, Quake 3 -- don't make me go on).

People get old, they sometimes start to put time into other things like rocket science, raising families, etc.

What I can't believe is that people would question this man's street cred. If you were around when Quake shipped you probably wouldn't.

This man is STILL kicking ass and taking names (id Tech 5, major Oculus Rift work). He earned and deserves the praise.
He also is and has been at the forefront of private space exploration. John Carmack is one of the people responsible for PC Gaming as an alternative to the Japanese-driven console market. More so than MS, which would happily quit it to focus on the living room.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:30 PM   #11
DingBat
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkumaATR View Post
I WAS around for Quake. I was around for Doom. Cut my gaming teeth on an Atari 800 and an Apple II.

I'm not questioning the man's "street cred". Or, at least I don't think I am since I have no idea what "street cred" means in the computer games industry. Carmack, the guy who built Doom and Quake, was great. But that doesn't translate into a free pass on new games any more. In fact, I think he discarded a lot of that mantle when he decided he liked building engines more than he liked building games. That was, oh, around about Quake3.

If Carmack came out with a new game, and I was in the market for a game engine, I might give it a look. If I'm in the market for a game, I read the reviews first. If you're honest with yourself, you'll admit you would too. And I didn't do that to Carmack. He did that to himself.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:37 PM   #12
bean19
Butt Stallion

Glad to see more than just Carmack hate on here. Having said that, I think he needs a good game designer/writer as a partner and should try to just be the head engineer. Imagine if he was the head engineer for a game helmed by Tim Schafer.
bean19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:46 PM   #13
Rommel
International Playboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DingBat View Post
In fact, I think he discarded a lot of that mantle when he decided he liked building engines more than he liked building games. That was, oh, around about Quake3.
That's been the knock on Carmack for a while. I hated Quake II, thought it was boring. It was, however, incredibly successful as an engine. QIII was thus more a tech demo than a game onto itself. It's been the model ever since. Unfortunately, he's not the only engine builder on the block. Crytek, Frostbyte and Unreal are all available and, in many ways, better than the tools id is producing. That's why the DoomIII engine, idtech4, was barely licensed and no one is licensing Rage's idtech5.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:14 PM   #14
Rirath
最終兵器

Rage was fine by my standards. Not great, but good. Glad to see this come, and hope some good results come of it as well. A bit too large for casually poking around with though.

Quote:
I really don't understand the continued hero worship that Carmack gets
How about simply because he's a really nice guy, with a really neat job, and a continued leader of the field? The way he fell on his sword about Rage at the last con and his early support for the Oculus Rift (he approached them!) shows me he still "gets it". They pushed this through (along with some new DLC) when many companies would have called any continued support of Rage "not profitable enough" and left it to rot.

I'd put him up with people like Markus Persson, Gabe Newell and Bill Gates (and to some extent, Steve Jobs) as people whom I genuinely respect.

I don't think anyone above has mentioned the fact that ID releases the source code of their older stuff - that is incredibly cool.

People will gush all day about an indie game with rough edges galore, myself included, but if ID makes a game less than the greatest thing ever, somehow it's crap. If ID's games aren't quadruple-A industry gold anymore, but just plain old decent games by interesting folks, then I really don't mind.
Rirath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:21 PM   #15
Agnostic Pope
Evil Dead

Steve Jobs was a horrible person. Did I miss something?
Quote:
Old 02-08-2013, 11:00 PM   #16
sai tyrus
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by bean19 View Post
Glad to see more than just Carmack hate on here. Having said that, I think he needs a good game designer/writer as a partner and should try to just be the head engineer. Imagine if he was the head engineer for a game helmed by Tim Schafer.
That's supposedly where he and Romero balanced one another out.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve!" - Bilbo Baggins
sai tyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:08 PM   #17
Agnostic Pope
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by bean19 View Post
Tim Schafer never...really completes his games. Everygame I've played of his just kinda ends, seems like it is missing many things or seems rushed. I've yet to play a game I felt was complete made by him.
Quote:
Old 02-09-2013, 06:38 AM   #18
MasterKwan
Evil Dead

Quote:
How about simply because he's a really nice guy, with a really neat job, and a continued leader of the field? The way he fell on his sword about Rage at the last con and his early support for the Oculus Rift (he approached them!) shows me he still "gets it". They pushed this through (along with some new DLC) when many companies would have called any continued support of Rage "not profitable enough" and left it to rot.
He's the kind of programmer all programmers should aspire to be like. Tries different things. He has a good work ethic and as you pointed out, is simply good at what he does. I don't get the hate either. Typically, I think it's from mediocre people trying to drag down a genius.
MasterKwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:39 AM   #19
drevezan
Lord

I had no issues with the game and have no opinions on Carmack. The game wasnt great. It looked nice, played well, but lacked enough pizzazz to be special in my opinion. I'm just surprised that almost a year and a half after the lackluster release they are still making headlines for stuff that should have happened much sooner, like the patch a while back.
drevezan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:38 AM   #20
DingBat
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterKwan View Post
He's the kind of programmer all programmers should aspire to be like. Tries different things. He has a good work ethic and as you pointed out, is simply good at what he does. I don't get the hate either. Typically, I think it's from mediocre people trying to drag down a genius.
Is that the same way that fan bois tend to prop up people? C'mon, don't descend to tactics like that. It's transparent and childish.

I don't hate Carmack, I just think he's a very good game developer. Engine developer, that's a different story.

Tags
bethesda, id software, rage