Last post by VenomUSMC
Today 11:17 AM
2 Replies, 3 Views
» Promotion

Old 01-29-2013, 10:24 AM   #1
randir14
Subscriber

Torment Gets an Official Name, Mark Morgan Returns for the Soundtrack

An update on InXile's Torment Facebook page reveals the official name of the title, which is Torment: Tides of Numenera. They also announced that Mark Morgan, the original composer of Planescape: Torment, will return to do the soundtrack.
randir14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:27 AM   #2
lockwoodx
Photobomber

I'd rather they just left it at "Torment" because it's just that waiting for this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkumaATR View Post
Lock is untouchable though, he's too cool to be targeted, like ever. He's Detroit's Heisenberg!
lockwoodx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:29 AM   #3
Demo_Boy
@DemoEvolved on Twitter

Torment: Tides of Numenera

new-men-air-ah

terrible name. Vocal gymnastics.
Demo_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:01 PM   #4
Azriel77
Evil Dead

Tacking the name torment on a game that has nothing to do with the planescape setting is the worse type of bait and switch. Oh, its a "spiritual successor"? Bullshit! That is just marketing lingo. This is a completely different game with NOTHING (let me repeat, NOTHING!) related to PST in any way, shape, or form. This is just trying to sucker in fans of PST into playing a totally different game, this is done all the time in media and I have learned to give huge negative points when I see it done because it usually means the product is going to suck on its own without a bump from a prexisting fan base from another product. I hate when they do this. I hope the game will be good, but using this tactic is already not a promising sign. The only new game that should have torment in it is PST 2!
Azriel77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:52 PM   #5
randir14
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azriel77 View Post
Tacking the name torment on a game that has nothing to do with the planescape setting is the worse type of bait and switch. Oh, its a "spiritual successor"? Bullshit! That is just marketing lingo. This is a completely different game with NOTHING (let me repeat, NOTHING!) related to PST in any way, shape, or form. This is just trying to sucker in fans of PST into playing a totally different game, this is done all the time in media and I have learned to give huge negative points when I see it done because it usually means the product is going to suck on its own without a bump from a prexisting fan base from another product. I hate when they do this. I hope the game will be good, but using this tactic is already not a promising sign. The only new game that should have torment in it is PST 2!
Some of the developers from the original game (including one of the lead designers), along with the creators of the Planescape setting itself, are working on this. Chris Avellone who was the project lead on PS:T gave this his blessing (who, btw, said the only reason he isn't directly involved is because he's busy with Wasteland 2 and Project Eternity). It doesn't get much more spiritual successor than that.

Yes the "Torment" is obviously meant to bring in old fans, but it's not going to be a totally different game. They've said from the beginning their goal is to make a character-driven RPG with philosophical themes that feels like PS:T.

Last edited by randir14; 01-29-2013 at 03:09 PM..
randir14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:12 AM   #6
Azriel77
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by randir14 View Post
Some of the developers from the original game (including one of the lead designers), along with the creators of the Planescape setting itself, are working on this. Chris Avellone who was the project lead on PS:T gave this his blessing (who, btw, said the only reason he isn't directly involved is because he's busy with Wasteland 2 and Project Eternity). It doesn't get much more spiritual successor than that.

Yes the "Torment" is obviously meant to bring in old fans, but it's not going to be a totally different game. They've said from the beginning their goal is to make a character-driven RPG with philosophical themes that feels like PS:T.
Without the planescape setting, its not a torment game. Saying "their goal is to make a character-driven RPG with philosophical themes that feels like PS:T." is just what they want you to believe, but the truth is that is still nothing but marketing spin. I have seen this tactic used too much and it just pisses me off. The game might be fantastic, I really hope it is. However, this is still shady tactics. I know wizard is being stuborn about the licensing of the planescape setting, but what everyone really wants is PST2 in the crazy setting of planescape.
Azriel77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inxile, tides of numenera, torment