Last post by ashikenshin
Today 11:18 AM
3 Replies, 356 Views
» Promotion

Old 01-07-2013, 12:52 PM   #1
randir14
Subscriber

DayZ Standalone Update

The DayZ team has released a new update letting people know what's currently happening with the project. There is some good news for those of you who weren't able to enjoy the original game because of its user interface.

Quote:
One of the most profound and major architectural changes has had its initial implementation completed, this is the overhaul of the inventory system. In fact, the inventory and item management system was completely removed and rewritten from the ground by Jirka, one of the original engine programmers. The work that has been completed on this groundbreaking, and it going to fundamentally change the DayZ experience.

You scavenge for items now, as individual parts, picking up pieces rather than piles, looking for cans on shelves or under beds. The new system opens the door for durability of items, disease tracking (cholera lingering on clothes a player wears…), batteries, addon components, and much more. If you shoot a player in the head to take his night vision, you will damage the night vision. The changes to this inventory system are huge.

-

UI Changes

ArmA community legend kju has been part of the DayZ development for some time, and is now one of your key development members. He has been working with our CEO (Marek) and me to develop the DayZ UI. We have been greatly inspired by Minecraft to make the UI simple and effective, rather than flashy and complex. All our art and code efforts are going into the game, the UI is being designed to be straightforward and functional just like in Minecraft.
Read the full update here.
randir14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:59 PM   #2
Mav
Moderator & Nerd For Life

I bought DayZ (or I should say ArmA II) about a month ago. It's not bad, there are aspects of it I enjoy, and parts I dislike. I know everyone who was a fan was telling new folks like myself "wait for standalone, it'll be here in a few weeks, in December" and it never happened. I know its in alpha and Rocket is working hard but trying to hash out a complete standalone client in like six months (he announced it back in the summer if I remember right) was an ambitious goal.

I was getting worried cause he hasn't communicated on his tumblr or twitter really about standalone updates in a while now. I wish him the best of luck.
Raptr mavgeek
Twitter @Maverickroll
Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:33 PM   #3
Tolgar
Evil Dead

The potential for this game is awesome, its a shame the mod was ruined by hackers and dupers, forcing people to hide on private hives. I await the expanded map and better security =D
Tolgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:50 PM   #4
Silverbaine
Evil Dead

My problem with the game was that once I got some decent gear, food supplies, tools. I never wanted to log in again. There needs to be some sort of endgame added to stop players from doing just that.
Steam ID: SilverBaine
WII: I have one but never bothered to play anything online.
Silverbaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:19 PM   #5
bean19
Butt Stallion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbaine View Post
My problem with the game was that once I got some decent gear, food supplies, tools. I never wanted to log in again. There needs to be some sort of endgame added to stop players from doing just that.
I agree. I'm not really a grief player, so accumulating more stuff so that I can take out other players doesn't appeal to me. I want there to be a noble goal to the game larger than just staying alive until someone ganks you.
bean19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:28 PM   #6
brandonjclark
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by bean19 View Post
I agree. I'm not really a grief player, so accumulating more stuff so that I can take out other players doesn't appeal to me. I want there to be a noble goal to the game larger than just staying alive until someone ganks you.

Are you talking about an escape of the infected area?
brandonjclark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:28 PM   #7
brandonjclark
Subscriber

I hope they take their time. Don't worry about adding shit like breaking NVG's or cholera-laden sweatshirts just yet. Create the game and add expanded content later as much as possible.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:34 PM   #8
sai tyrus
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by bean19 View Post
They're planning on adding base building. If you had that and/or some sort of economy, it could be amazing.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve!" - Bilbo Baggins
sai tyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:41 PM   #9
Mav

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjclark View Post
Are you talking about an escape of the infected area?
That would be kind of, off. I mean, if they did that it would kind of turn into a much more slower paced Left 4 Dead, with potential pvp thrown in. The goal being to find food, weapons, items, etc and 'escape'. Ok, so whats left, game play wise, after you 'escape'? Go to a different server and do the same?

I think they should try something similar to what WarZ is (hopefully going to implement as they said they would) doing, with a skill tree, clans and such to help add some depth to the "end game". You'll want to progress your character, made engage in some clan rivalries (all while trying to avoid zombies and shit) etc. Otherwise the standalone will just be the same as the current DayZ; a zombie survival simulator with pvp potential. Which isn't a bad thing but as others point out once you've messed around with it a while there's nothing left to keep you hooked into playing it.
Raptr mavgeek
Twitter @Maverickroll
Old 01-07-2013, 03:36 PM   #10
brandonjclark
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav View Post
That would be kind of, off. I mean, if they did that it would kind of turn into a much more slower paced Left 4 Dead, with potential pvp thrown in. The goal being to find food, weapons, items, etc and 'escape'. Ok, so whats left, game play wise, after you 'escape'? Go to a different server and do the same?

I think they should try something similar to what WarZ is (hopefully going to implement as they said they would) doing, with a skill tree, clans and such to help add some depth to the "end game". You'll want to progress your character, made engage in some clan rivalries (all while trying to avoid zombies and shit) etc. Otherwise the standalone will just be the same as the current DayZ; a zombie survival simulator with pvp potential. Which isn't a bad thing but as others point out once you've messed around with it a while there's nothing left to keep you hooked into playing it.
Has DayZ been fixed enough to be worth buying right now? I know you've always supported it but if they addressed some of the things that others around here have complained about I'll give it a shot.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:54 PM   #11
AkumaATR
Jaded Developer

Quote:
Has DayZ been fixed enough to be worth buying right now? I know you've always supported it but if they addressed some of the things that others around here have complained about I'll give it a shot.
Nope. There is no real way to address the script kiddie problem with their tech in a practical way. And no private servers. But there is a lot to be excited for in the standalone version.
AkumaATR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:33 PM   #12
Mav

Quote:
I've supported WarZ. DayZ is good as well, but it has it's own issues just like WarZ has it's issues. DayZ is more like a "simulator" of a survival game whereas WarZ is a more "arcade"-feel survival game. DayZ can be a little overwhelming to jump into cause you have to download ArmaII and it's expansion, then download DayZ, do some file swapping in directories, etc. There's a few custom fan made launchers for DayZ you can try like DayZ Commander or Six Launcher, otherwise you'll be creating a batch file to execute DayZ.

Both games have their merits. DayZ is "tougher" since you have to micromanage food, water, blood (health), and coldness. Supplies are scarce, and the zombies can be quick difficult until you learn to juke like a mad man. Once you get the hang of it, you'll be searching for vehicles so you can travel easier, get better weapons, maybe even try to fly a helicopter. WarZ only focuses on food, water, and health. It doesn't have vehicles yet but supplies aren't as rare, and eventually it'll hopefully start to live up to it's goals of being an mmo when they put in the skill tree and such.

The only downside to being new to each game is, you can find someone who has a guest key to WarZ that will let you try the game for I think up to 48 hours without buying it, whereas with DayZ there's really no way to "try" it out without purchasing ArmaII and it's expansion pack.
Raptr mavgeek
Twitter @Maverickroll
Old 01-07-2013, 05:01 PM   #13
blackzc
Evil Dead

Do you get this update through day Z commander?
Old 01-07-2013, 05:03 PM   #14
randir14
Subscriber

Quote:
The only downside to being new to each game is, you can find someone who has a guest key to WarZ that will let you try the game for I think up to 48 hours without buying it, whereas with DayZ there's really no way to "try" it out without purchasing ArmaII and it's expansion pack.
You can actually try DayZ by downloading ArmA 2 free edition, you'll just have crappy graphics until you buy the real game.

-edit- or not, I guess you still have to buy Operation Arrowhead.
randir14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:21 PM   #15
brandonjclark
Subscriber

Quote:
I've supported WarZ. DayZ is good as well, but it has it's own issues just like WarZ has it's issues. DayZ is more like a "simulator" of a survival game whereas WarZ is a more "arcade"-feel survival game. DayZ can be a little overwhelming to jump into cause you have to download ArmaII and it's expansion, then download DayZ, do some file swapping in directories, etc. There's a few custom fan made launchers for DayZ you can try like DayZ Commander or Six Launcher, otherwise you'll be creating a batch file to execute DayZ.

Both games have their merits. DayZ is "tougher" since you have to micromanage food, water, blood (health), and coldness. Supplies are scarce, and the zombies can be quick difficult until you learn to juke like a mad man. Once you get the hang of it, you'll be searching for vehicles so you can travel easier, get better weapons, maybe even try to fly a helicopter. WarZ only focuses on food, water, and health. It doesn't have vehicles yet but supplies aren't as rare, and eventually it'll hopefully start to live up to it's goals of being an mmo when they put in the skill tree and such.

I meant WarZ.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:18 PM   #16
MasterKwan
Evil Dead

Quote:
This. I enjoyed trying to get a gun but, once I had it, I was done.
MasterKwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:54 PM   #17
wunshot
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterKwan View Post
This. I enjoyed trying to get a gun but, once I had it, I was done.
Do you come across people often enough for pvp? WarZ is pretty much all pvp with zombies littering the killing grounds.
wunshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:32 AM   #18
BeachGaara
Evil Dead

Quote:
I was getting worried cause he hasn't communicated on his tumblr or twitter really about standalone updates in a while now. I wish him the best of luck.
He took a break due to stress.
BeachGaara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:41 AM   #19
MasterKwan
Evil Dead

Quote:
Do you come across people often enough for pvp? WarZ is pretty much all pvp with zombies littering the killing grounds.
In DayZ, you could go many hours without seeing a single human on a full server. WarZ on the other hand, has fewer weapons and lots of PVP. Don't mind the PVP but, the lack of weapons for players who just warp into the server really put me off. I don't want to have to find an unpopulated server in order to collect weapons before I can find a populated one for PVP.
MasterKwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:05 PM   #20
firecut
Evil Dead

Looks great but the character models look to healthy (not skinny enough) given the apocalypse scenario.

Tags
dayz