14 Replies, 1,076 Views
» Promotion

Old 09-23-2006, 08:57 AM   #1
J Arcane
Banned

Counter-Strike Brings Economics to Gameplay

Slashdot brings us news of an interesting new change to CS:S:
Quote:
"The ever so popular game, Counter Strike:Source developed by Valve, has a new feature added to the game: A virtual marketplace for the weapons and equipment. According to Valve, every item's price will be updated on a weekly basis depending on the global market demand. Some users have posted their anger toward the new change on the Valve forums and have even started a petition to stop the change. Is Valve turning into Microsoft by introducing features that are not needed or wanted by the community, or are they merely spicing the game up?"
I rather think this is a neat idea myself. It essentially allows the game to balance itself, because the weapons most players want will wind up costing the most money. And it's certainly a very creative use of Steam's capabilities.

Last edited by J Arcane; 09-23-2006 at 03:29 PM..
J Arcane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 02:17 PM   #2
BigJonno
Back in bl...orange.

I've not played CS for a long time, but I find this very interesting. I'll be watching to see how this pans out.
Old 09-23-2006, 02:21 PM   #3
tombofsoldier
Irascibley Complacent

So, AWPs are going to cost $16,000 each and people will still buy them. Its an interesting idea, but probably not a very good idea.
tombofsoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 02:23 PM   #4
kaddar
Reaper

I am sorta wondering what the effect of zombie servers, gun game servers, betting servers, and maximum money servers will all have on prices
kaddar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 02:23 PM   #5
Doctor Setebos
Banned

It's not a real economy unless there's some competition. Bring in another publisher or two to also sell their own versions of the top weapons and watch the price wars begin!
Doctor Setebos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 02:26 PM   #6
Intruder
Retired

Just started playing CS:S again last night, this change sounds like fun/
Old 09-23-2006, 02:34 PM   #7
Heretic Machine
Peon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorSetebos
It's not a real economy unless there's some competition. Bring in another publisher or two to also sell their own versions of the top weapons and watch the price wars begin!
Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not, but you know they are talking about fake money that you earn in the game, right?
Currently Playing: Castle Crashers, Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time, Beyond Good & Evil
Heretic Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 02:43 PM   #8
Doctor Setebos
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perigon
Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not, but you know they are talking about fake money that you earn in the game, right?
I was being sarcastic.
Doctor Setebos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 02:47 PM   #9
Fyd
Evil Dead

CSS needs more classic maps, and all that money stuff is crap i want shields come back
Fyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 02:48 PM   #10
Mozgus
Evil Dead

Haha I knew it. Look at the 47, M4A1, Desert Eagle, and the AWP. They will indeed be 16,000 before this goes into effect. Thank god. People need to try some new weapons for once. This is going to get me back into CSS. Shame the price will only update 1 time a week.
Mozgus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 02:54 PM   #11
Johan
sub-$20 Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Arcane
I rather think this is a neat idea myself. It essentially allows the game to balance itself, because the weapons most players want will wind up costing the most money. And it's certainly a very creative use of Steam's capabilities.
One question, though: Under such a system, where demand would drive up the price of the most attractive equpment, wouldn't this favor those who are fortunate enough to be the first to buy the best equipment?

In other words, if a gun costs 16,000 right now, a genuine, mad rush for that weapon might increase the price to quite a bit more (if the system really follows Keynesian economics of supply and demand). This would seem to reward luck (being first or early) rather than skill, patience, careful selection of equipment, etc.

Just wondering...
Johan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 02:57 PM   #12
BigJonno
Back in bl...orange.

Unless something has changed since I played, CS doesn't work like that. You buy equipment at the start of each round and unless you survived the previous one, you start with nothing but a pistol. It's not like once you've bought the gun you keep it forever.
Old 09-23-2006, 02:57 PM   #13
ttoastt
Dread Lord

Yeah if prices on the 'good guns' go up, it just gives the winners that much more of an advantage. The AK47 is a great gun, and pretty cheap. I think having it be much more expensive paired with being on the losing team would make me not want to play much at all.
ttoastt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 03:04 PM   #14
rein
Evil Dead

knife fight!
rein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 03:08 PM   #15
Dr Quincy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyd
i want shields come back
Shields would be cool, but you'd need to figure out how to sort out the clipping issues.
Old 09-23-2006, 03:27 PM   #16
Ventura_DK
Soul Reaper

It seems to me that this is also the case in Test Drive Unlimited, except that the feature is not working atm. But some cars DO have price charts and I assume that the cars in demand will go up in price. It's a nice gameplay feature IMHO. The gaming world needs new ideas, lets see where this will take us
Ventura_DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 03:31 PM   #17
Leto K
Squire

As much as I love the old CS designs, this does sound like fun. And hey, anything that increases the amount of different weapons people play with is fun by me. Half the time I play I just grab secondary ammo for my pistol and use whatever I can pick up, having to adapt to different things is part of what made the game fun!

Well, except maybe when everyone else is AWPing and you happen to grab a shotgun off some idiots body.
Leto K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 03:34 PM   #18
Wolfgang
Evil Dead

I don't think this is a good idea. I mean, the M4 and AK are the most popular weapons -- are they eventually going to cost the same as an AWP?
Wolfgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 03:34 PM   #19
Sensei-X
Evil Dead

Nice to see Valve is wasting their time coming up with stupid bullshit like this instead of real improvements like more maps or modes. Someone please tell Gabe Newell he should go back to stuffing his pie-hole with fried chicken and stop screwing with CS:S.
Old 09-23-2006, 03:45 PM   #20
MrWonderstuff
Soul Reaper

Quote:
it just gives the winners that much more of an advantage
Got to agree with ttoastt on that. If I was on a bad team and we kept losing rounds with not even a sniff of decent weapon due to cost then it would give an unfair advantage.

However the principal of players utilising different, cheaper and inferior weapons and becoming proficient in them sounds interesting. Most servers I play on the AWM is frowned upon whereas the AWP is given the green light as its not a one hit one kill weapon generally (although in the right hands it can be).
MrWonderstuff is offline   Reply With Quote