Last post by Emabulator
Today 08:44 AM
1 Replies, 444 Views
» Promotion

Old 11-26-2012, 11:59 AM   #1
Emabulator
iBlood Donor

Mass Effect 3 - Omega Launch Trailer

BioWare has released the official launch trailer for the Mass Effect 3 single-player DLC, Omega.

Quote:
The war for Omega has begun—How far will you go to end it?

Join Omega's infamous leader in her fight to retake the notorious black market station. Navigate Omega's seedy underbelly as Aria joins your squad and you witness her legendary biotic powers and unrelenting ruthlessness first-hand. Help Nyreen Kandros, the valiant turian leader of the Talon mercenary group, as she fights to free the enslaved people of Omega. Face down fearsome new enemies, including the Cerberus-manipulated Reaper, the Adjutant.
Click on the headline to watch the trailer.
Emabulator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:59 AM   #2
Emabulator
iBlood Donor

Emabulator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:04 PM   #3
sai tyrus
Evil Dead

Awesome. That music is from Two Steps from Hell. That particular song is "Protectors of the Earth" from their first album, Invincible. The rest of their stuff is meh. But that album. Ooooh boy is it good.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve!" - Bilbo Baggins
sai tyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:05 PM   #4
sai tyrus
Evil Dead

Totally wrong on the song... its by Two Steps from Hell though. lol. Pretty sure it's on Invincible.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve!" - Bilbo Baggins
Old 11-26-2012, 01:38 PM   #5
ElektroDragon
Panzermensch!

Man I haven't even bothered to launch Leviathan yet.
Old 11-26-2012, 02:29 PM   #6
vallor
Evil Dead

Another reason not to buy games before the DLC comes out. The game would be that much more epic when playing with these integrated into the campaign BEFORE you decide the fate of the elusive man, etc.

It's basically spoiled since you know what happens at the end.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:06 PM   #7
sai tyrus
Evil Dead

^Yeah. I know the general endings and was more satisfied with the extended cut but have yet to play through the entire game.

Old 11-26-2012, 04:17 PM   #8
DeluxE
Evil Dead

To anyone who hasn't played Leviathan yet - do it.

I now understand why Bioware were so cagey with the, "you'll understand... later" responses they gave after the initial complaints about ME3's ending.

It really should have been a part of the released game. Explains where the Reapers came from, why there are cycles, why the Reapers look like giant squid, who/what the starchild is, the origins of indoctrination and more.

Really improved the story a hell of a lot for me.
DeluxE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:57 PM   #9
Agnostic Pope
Evil Dead

Pulling space magic out of your ass for a game...no SERIES... that didn't involve space magic can never truly be understandable as a real ending. Because Bio didn't want to use $$$ for the real promised endings we played 90 hours across to have. The Leviathan is further proof that BIO is on crack. The Leviathans created an intelligence that, in turn, turned on them to create the Reapers. In this whole DLC they never mentioned HOW they killed off the Leviathans or anything. Or why the catalyst looks like the kid from the beginning. Or why its creation is motherfucking flawed. So the catalyst was made to kill of synthetics because they kill of its creators right? So why did HE kill off his creators after creating him? God if Bio would just OWN up to fucking up an ending for $$$ people would forgive them for being full of shit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicidal ShiZuru View Post
If women didn't have vaginas, men would hunt them with dogs. For sport.
Agnostic Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:07 PM   #10
Agnostic Pope
Evil Dead

Dark energy ending lulz.
Quote:
Old 11-26-2012, 05:37 PM   #11
Agnostic Pope
Evil Dead

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/to...70146/1#970421
(posted 3 years ago)
Quote:
Originally Posted by screwoffreg
Exactly. There are two endings I wouldn't like for ME 3. One being a random GOD LIKE force that saves the Galaxy or another being that to defeat the Reapers, everyone has to become a primitivst and destroy the Relays, Citadel, etc. Both would make me pretty unhappy as those endings have been done to death.
Quote:
Old 11-26-2012, 05:46 PM   #12
DeluxE
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic Pope View Post
Pulling space magic out of your ass for a game...no SERIES... that didn't involve space magic can never truly be understandable as a real ending. Because Bio didn't want to use $$$ for the real promised endings we played 90 hours across to have. The Leviathan is further proof that BIO is on crack. The Leviathans created an intelligence that, in turn, turned on them to create the Reapers. In this whole DLC they never mentioned HOW they killed off the Leviathans or anything. Or why the catalyst looks like the kid from the beginning. Or why its creation is motherfucking flawed. So the catalyst was made to kill of synthetics because they kill of its creators right? So why did HE kill off his creators after creating him? God if Bio would just OWN up to fucking up an ending for $$$ people would forgive them for being full of shit.
You asked for it.

SPOILERS.

They DO mention how the intelligence killed off the Leviathans; the intelligence had spread throughout the gallaxy, presumably working for quite some time at the task the Leviathans had given it - how to prevent the erradication of organic life throughout the galaxy due to the inevitable conflict with synthetics. When it began the first harvest, the intelligence was already everywhere, and presumably had the ability to control organics, (which it passed down to the Reapers). So the intelligence turned the gallaxy, (including all the thralls the Leviathans depended on), against it's creators. Do you need specific details? For me this was enough of a back story...

The intelligence LOOKS LIKE the Catalyst/starchild/kid from the begining of ME3 TO Shepard. That's all. Because it was a memory that was important to Shepard, that's how it chose to present itself to him/her. That's the only reason.

Leviathan says the intelligence ISN'T FLAWED. It's doing exactly what it was intended to do. It solved the problem the Leviathans were worried about - that biological life would eventually be permanently erased by synthetics. The harvest ensures that biologic and synthetic life are both reset every 100,000 years, so that a new "crop" of biologic life can be allowed to come into it's own. The culture and genetic information of the dominant species from each cycle is preserved within the Reapers and their servants the Collectors, so that information is not truely "lost", at least as far as the in-organic intelligence is concerned.

And finally, the intelligence killed off, (most of), the Leviathans in the first harvest because it had determined that ALL ORGANIC LIFE WILL EVENTUALLY LEAD TO PERMANENT DESTRUCTION. This is the core of the whole concept of the Reapers; they are actually tending the "garden" of the galaxy, preventing organics from destroying themselves PERMANENTLY. That's why Reapers don't bother pre-spaceflight species - they WANT them to grow and prosper, because that is the goal the intelligence strives to protect. The intelligence sees the period of a species' development up to faster than light travel as a desired successful crop, but then the crop must be harvested before the dangerous period when synthetic intelligence begins to emerge from it. The Reapers aren't destroying the galaxy to save the galaxy, they're destroying selected planets and species for the greater good of the REST of the organic species in the galaxy, to ensure biological diversity. It's really no different than humans reducing numbers of animals in a region, to ensure that all the creatures in the region can survive.

This stuff is all in the subtext. If you really want a story that just spells everything out for you, I suggest that Mass Effect might not be the game for you. Mass Effect is a story that asks the player to infer details and leaves quite a bit to the individual's imagination. I personally found the story of the Protheans far more interesting before Javik was introduced. Sometimes things just work better when you have to fill in the blanks yourself!
Old 11-26-2012, 05:57 PM   #13
Agnostic Pope
Evil Dead

StarChild narrative, and similarly to ME3's finale, it feels (at least to me) completely disjointed from everything we experienced previously, and - in the case of this DLC - everything we experience afterwards as well, since the discovery of the most advanced organic species in the universe, previous masters of the Milky Way and the creators of the Reapers has *no* impact on anything, other than Hacket's two lines of dialogue, handwaving them as being sooo super duper ahead of us. If you thought that Javik's discovery should have made a bigger impact than just a few lines of dialogue thrown here and there, try not to smirk when the whole crew goes back to usual buzinass after actually asking the Leviathan to join up with them and hearing a weirdly honest reply of "sure, but I will enslave the Reapers afterwards This isn't about subtext. It is about poking plot holes and people defending space magic in a game about tech.
Quote:
Old 11-26-2012, 06:22 PM   #14
DeluxE
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic Pope View Post
StarChild narrative, and similarly to ME3's finale, it feels (at least to me) completely disjointed from everything we experienced previously, and - in the case of this DLC - everything we experience afterwards as well, since the discovery of the most advanced organic species in the universe, previous masters of the Milky Way and the creators of the Reapers has *no* impact on anything, other than Hacket's two lines of dialogue, handwaving them as being sooo super duper ahead of us. If you thought that Javik's discovery should have made a bigger impact than just a few lines of dialogue thrown here and there, try not to smirk when the whole crew goes back to usual buzinass after actually asking the Leviathan to join up with them and hearing a weirdly honest reply of "sure, but I will enslave the Reapers afterwards This isn't about subtext. It is about poking plot holes and people defending space magic in a game about tech.
It's true, the Leviathans were the most advanced race ever, and masters of the galaxy. BUT the one we meet in the DLC is the decendent of those ancient creatures - why should it have access to the technology of it's ancestors from millions of years ago? Maybe having it on "our" side would only be slightly better than having Javik, a Prothean who was born during a Reaper harvest and has no knowledge of their technology because he was a warrior, not a scientist.

Anyway, the game makes a point of Shepard and crew not completely trusting the Leviathan, for the very reasons you mention. That's part of the story - that in a desperate situation, you might work with a devil to defeat an army of devils. You can worry about the future when you get there!

Anyway, none of this excuses the three endings, or any of the plot issues of ME3's final mission, but that's not the point. The point is that SOME of the questions that many people felt were left unanswered DID get answered in this DLC.

And another thing; if you happened to encounter an alien species, (organic or synthetic), hundreds of thousands, maybe even millions of years more advanced than your own, don't you think their technology might seem like magic? Narratively, how else could you express anything that advanced?

It's also silly to dissmiss all the great entertainment the game, (and this DLC), offers, just because you don't like the last ten minutes. It's still a great universe, still got great characters and designs, still a lot of fun to play.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:35 PM   #15
Agnostic Pope
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxE View Post

And another thing; if you happened to encounter an alien species, (organic or synthetic), hundreds of thousands, maybe even millions of years more advanced than your own, don't you think their technology might seem like magic? Narratively, how else could you express anything that advanced?

It's also silly to dissmiss all the great entertainment the game, (and this DLC), offers, just because you don't like the last ten minutes. It's still a great universe, still got great characters and designs, still a lot of fun to play.
Space magic refers to the bs plotholes and the entire ME lore being discredited in 10 minutes. Not advanced tech in reality.

Not silly, but I don't like it when a world is turned upside down for no reason other than sheer laziness. The original endings were scrapped because of time constraints that is fine. But they didn't have to re-write everything and with every upcomming dlc it is getting worse. Oh and btw the Rachni were being controlled by the Leviathan now because FUCK YOU, right Bioware?

The DLC offered nothing but two lines to the overall goal of playing the damn thing (to finish thigs) so it was extremely lacking really.
Quote:
Old 11-27-2012, 06:38 AM   #16
Sammael
Nope, nope. Not this time

It has been said before, but I will say it again. If you release a product and have to make excuses for it because you are adding things in later, you are doing it all wrong.

ME1 and 2 had tons of content. 3 had nothing. Most of the things you do as far as side quests were from just standing next to someone and eavsdropping on their conversations. It was stupid. Some of the best stuff was the character interaction, and they brought that down to a minimum. The reason? They want to piece meal everything out to us at $5 to $15 a pop. Omega should have been in the game. Leviathan should have been in the game. From Ashes should have been in the game.

Fuck you Bioware. I'll stick to your back catalog.

BTW - This sounds like Dennis Dyack telling everyone that his favorite class in Too Human isn't in the game yet.

Biggest Ranger Fan on EA!!!!!!!!
Lets go Rangers!!!!
Sammael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:50 AM   #17
SaintBlitzkrieg
On Hiatus For Awhile

Well, I for one can't wait to go home and play it. So neener neener.

Tags
bioware, electronic arts, mass effect 3, milk that fucker!