Last post by Agnostic Pope
Yesterday 09:48 PM
7 Replies, 837 Views
» Promotion

Old 11-24-2012, 06:46 PM   #1
sai tyrus
Evil Dead

"M" is for Mature...

The above image, posted by our very own Suicidal ShiZuru, got me thinking about shifting demographics in games and what the new "mature" is.

Quote:
“Mature” games nowadays means different things to different people. Games like Call of Duty and Halo have become synonymous with pre-pubescent boys, profanity, and the all too-frequent racial slurs. Violence in games is often a hot topic in the media. What the mudslingers forget to mention however, is that violence pervades movies and television in western culture. So do you really expect games to be any different? Furthermore, one could argue that violence is common in games because that’s what people want.
You can check the full write-up here.
sai tyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:53 PM   #2
BeachGaara
Evil Dead

I just don't want to have to play with them on XBL.
BeachGaara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:54 PM   #3
BeachGaara
Evil Dead

Oh, and I don't want the parents that buy these games to then blame them for all the ills in the world when their shitty parenting is responsible for their sons cat murdering.
BeachGaara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:12 PM   #4
cassidyc
Peon

I have to say that i fall into the "now a parent" category stated in the article. However i have controlled what my son is allowed to play. It started with portal 1 and 2 which he can complete both in a full day. And then we moved onto playing the Halo series, playing through the story together. We have only now started to play online. My son is only allowed to play when I'm there, has no online chat, and i do my best to encourage good sportsmanship. I draw the line at Call of duty and similar because of the nature of the "violence". Halo has always had a slightly cartoony element to it, and is not overly gory.

All that said there are some wee sh*ites online, because their parents do not take the same level of interest/control of their online gaming
cassidyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:47 PM   #5
Agnostic Pope
Evil Dead

M is for Mature and it has a Witcher tag? Hilarious!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Jesus View Post
You sir, are my fucking hero!
Agnostic Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:42 PM   #6
lockwoodx
Photobomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkumaATR View Post
Lock is untouchable though, he's too cool to be targeted, like ever. He's Detroit's Heisenberg!
lockwoodx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:55 PM   #7
sai tyrus
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidyc View Post
I have to say that i fall into the "now a parent" category stated in the article. However i have controlled what my son is allowed to play. It started with portal 1 and 2 which he can complete both in a full day. And then we moved onto playing the Halo series, playing through the story together. We have only now started to play online. My son is only allowed to play when I'm there, has no online chat, and i do my best to encourage good sportsmanship. I draw the line at Call of duty and similar because of the nature of the "violence". Halo has always had a slightly cartoony element to it, and is not overly gory.

All that said there are some wee sh*ites online, because their parents do not take the same level of interest/control of their online gaming
You're in a minority then, which in this case is a good thing. Most parents don't even know what the hell is in these games.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve!" - Bilbo Baggins
Old 11-25-2012, 04:10 PM   #8
sixtyfps
Evil Dead

As far as FPS games go, my youngins are still fine with Minecraft. It's a good vehicle for learning WASD fundamentals, which they're gonna need if/when we have multiple desktops.

Wanting to be taken seriously as a gamer is like wanting to be taken "dessertly" as a potato. —LoTECH
sixtyfps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:49 PM   #9
bean19
Butt Stallion

I still remember being a kid and we saw violence all the time - on regular TV in the 90s. . . but I also understood this to be fiction. Getting kids to be self-aware enough to understand fiction is not real and shouldn't be taken as an example of correct or "cool" behavior seems like something that most of my friends didn't need an adult to help with, but I also remember kids who were a lot more influenced by it. One time we were playing football and a neighborhood kid got out a toy gun so that we could play "Last Boy Scout" (a violent movie back in the 90's that I hadn't seen then). Anyway, we basically punt returned and had a gun that we could use to "kill" tacklers who had to fall down dead instead of tackling the punt returner. That seems odd, but the kid who came up with it joined the military at 18 and I assume he isn't a serial killer now. . . lost touch.

If I were a parent, I'd worry about my kids watching the news. I remember watching the news and actually being worried about the stuff they fear-monger about on there to get ratings. That's where I'd spend my time educating my kids. . . they should know not to trust the news and understand that they lie for ratings.

Also, there are tons of studies that have shown that being exposed to violent media does not lead children to be more likely to be violent in their behavior. The science shows this over and over, but we still have this discussion come up. I think people prefer the myth that exposure to "bad stuff" causes violence. . . but it's just not true.

What causes kids to be more violent is a bad role model or a traumatic early childhood experience. A dad that hits his wife and kids is modeling that behavior to his children. There are also people who are just bad because their circumstances demand it for survival, or they just make the choice to be bad for various reasons. Criminologists and psychologists focus a lot of time and effort on this with decades of studies done on prisoners. We have really good data now on what causes violent crime.
bean19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:15 AM   #10
gojira
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidyc View Post
I draw the line at Call of duty and similar because of the nature of the "violence". Halo has always had a slightly cartoony element to it, and is not overly gory.

Rating systems need to be better defined and actually enforced, imo. Halo should be rated PG-13 for cartoony violence, and actual mature games with swearing, racial elements (you know the kind I mean) and lots of blood should be rated M.

I agree there's no substitute for actual parenting, but at minimum the packaging should match what's inside the box.
gojira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:45 AM   #11
sai tyrus
Evil Dead

I agree with gojira. And bean19, in my post, I don't talk about violence in games and the issues it may cause so much as that there needs to be more mature games actually catering to a mature audience. Take this experience I had playing The Witcher 2:

Warning, as it does contain a few mild spoilers...

Quote:
I was playing the other day and encountered a young elven woman about to be lynched by some human guards of a local outpost. The soldiers claimed that she had lured some of their men to a cave where elven rebels killed their comrades Because there were monsters in the area, no one was willing to go near the cave where the men were last seen. I was given the option of allowing the guards to hang the woman, investigate, or do nothing. I offered to investigate and headed out to the cave. Delving deep into the murky darkness, I fought terrors of the deep. Pushing on, I found the slain men… with elven arrows in their bodies. It was quite clear the elvish woman was indeed collaborating with the rebels. Knowing this, I went back to the guards. But instead of revealing what she did, I claimed she was innocent instead. More than anything, I was curious to her intentions. Surprised, she gave thanks by offering to meet me by a waterfall in the woods, and “show how grateful she was.”

I was like, “Okay, I guess I’m going to get some elvish poo-nanny.” Sadly, that wasn’t the case. Upon my arrival to the waterfall, the young elvish woman told me that she was grateful I saved her life. Unfortunately, “dead men tell no tales” and I had to be killed. Five elvish rebels immediately appeared from the surrounding forest. What ensued was a battle where I was almost literally caught with my pants down. As a player, I chided myself for thinking with my dick, so to speak. Upon dispatching my foes, I was given the task of finding the woman who betrayed me. And you know the best part? There was no icon on the map telling me where the girl was. I had to find her in the whole damn forest. When I finally found my betrayer, she begged for mercy. I was given a few options, like letting her go, taking her to the local garrison and revealing that she was a spy, or killing her on the spot. I opted to mete out justice with my blade. Dead men tell no tales, right?
We need more games like that. I also touch on Heavy Rain a bit. I think there need to be more mature games out there that are really intended for adults. Halo and Call of Duty, while violent, aren't necessarily graphic like Gears of War. As gojira said, I think we need to redefine elements of the ESRB rating system and even the film rating system for that matter. I loved The Dark Knight, but when we were growing up, that would not be a PG-13 movie. That film scrimped by, not that it wasn't gory, but it was violent, and implied a lot. In my opinion, it was artfully done, but not something I would have brought a ten year-old to see.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve!" - Bilbo Baggins
Old 11-26-2012, 08:02 AM   #12
ldi222
Subscriber

Good parents will monitor their childrens content, bad parents won't. I just wish I wasn't forced to play in the same online realm with the children of bad parents. If there was an adult only player restriction I'd enable it immediately and never look back.
ldi222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:48 AM   #13
LoTECH
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldi222 View Post
Good parents will monitor their childrens content, bad parents won't. I just wish I wasn't forced to play in the same online realm with the children of bad parents. If there was an adult only player restriction I'd enable it immediately and never look back.
I hear you there. My 13 year-old daughter has requested I start teaching her how to be "good" at Halo 4. I am happy to oblige her request, but I have set out a code of conduct when playing online.

First: No mic unless playing with friends. There is literally NOTHING the rest of the world needs to say to my daughter.

Second: No reading messages sent from strangers. After my daughter played with her cousin in a public match on my profile (the only profile in the house), the next day, I had 4 different messages from assholes saying the most disturbing shit I have ever read.

Third: a lesson learned from #2 was using private chat only when playing with friends and strangers.

The thing is, most of this stuff needs to be taught to a 13 year-old. She could fiddle around and find it, but as the parent letting her use this system, it was my responsibility to learn it first and know how to avoid bad situations.
As far as the creepers that sent sick messages, my daughter never saw them. I had a long chat with XBOX customer service and forwarded them screen-shots of the messages sent and my understanding was that suspensions and bannings were the order of the day.
It didn't hurt that I swung my weight around as a prolific customer and long-time LIVE subscriber (hitting 10 year mark in January), but I was given many apologies and a few hundred MS points for my trouble.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:25 PM   #14
vallor
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoTECH View Post
but I was given many apologies and a few hundred MS points for my trouble.
Don't think you're too special, I think they give away that stuff as a matter of course I don't think I've ever gotten off Xbox customer support without them giving me enough points to fund my next DLC purchase.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:40 PM   #15
Venkman
Evil Dead

Make a party (even if you are the only one) every time you play xbox live. You will never have to hear another idiot again.
Venkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 02:56 PM   #16
Agnostic Pope
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkman View Post
Make a party (even if you are the only one) every time you play xbox live. You will never have to hear another idiot again.
You will. It will just be a idiot you know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Jesus View Post
You sir, are my fucking hero!
Agnostic Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:11 AM   #17
LoTECH
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
Don't think you're too special, I think they give away that stuff as a matter of course I don't think I've ever gotten off Xbox customer support without them giving me enough points to fund my next DLC purchase.
Haha. Of course, but I felt obligated to add that because if you don't ask for MS points for your trouble, you're a rube.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:21 AM   #18
sai tyrus
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkman View Post
Me and my boy do friends only. You have to earn the price of admission to hear us or be heard in turn.

Old 11-27-2012, 06:13 AM   #19
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by gojira View Post
Rating systems need to be better defined and actually enforced, imo. Halo should be rated PG-13 for cartoony violence, and actual mature games with swearing, racial elements (you know the kind I mean) and lots of blood should be rated M.

I agree there's no substitute for actual parenting, but at minimum the packaging should match what's inside the box.
This.

I've never understood why the Halo series was rated M. It is the only rated M title that I let my son play. All his friends play all the shooters, Black Ops, etc. and I've kept him away from them because of all the profanity (I'm not all that concerned about cartoon violence... we saw it and lived).

Tags
call of duty, halo 4, heavy rain, mature games, the witcher 2