The Elder Scrolls Online...
Last post by Emabulator
Today 01:12 PM
1 Replies, 181 Views

Old 10-25-2012, 03:44 PM   #1
randir14
Subscriber

InXile Partners With Science Consultancy Firm Thwacke for Wasteland 2

A Canadian science consultancy firm called Thwacke has announced that they're collaborating on Wasteland 2. Click the headline for the full press release.

Quote:
While a post-apocalyptic future is a bleak one to imagine, with the right minds, it is a feasible one to speculate. In order to bring a novel sense of believability to narrative, inXile will be working with the Montreal-based science consultancy, Thwacke. Thwacke will bring in experts in the realms of evolutionary biology, nuclear physics, and medicine to add depth and believability to the wasteland, its people, its creatures and its afflictions.

As part of their collaboration with inXile, Thwacke, will be working closely with the writers and producers behind Wasteland 2 to enrich their fiction with interesting science. Thwacke CEO and molecular biologist, Sebastian Alvarado, has ensured that his entire team will align good science from their respective expertise to build rich stories. “We’re interested in creating moments where the player feels the line blur between reality and fiction, ultimately impacting gameplay and narrative”.
For those wondering why a game full of radioactive monsters, giant robots and ray guns would try to be believable, Brian Fargo elaborates:

Quote:
Don't worry...Wasteland will still keep its odd humor, mutants and Scorpitrons etc. Thwacke helps with overall logic and science in parts.

Last edited by randir14; 10-25-2012 at 04:05 PM..
randir14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 03:44 PM   #2
randir14
Subscriber

Press release:

Quote:
Reinventing science fiction in a post-apocalyptic future

While a post-apocalyptic future is a bleak one to imagine, with the right minds, it is a feasible one to speculate. In order to bring a novel sense of believability to narrative, inXile will be working with the Montreal-based science consultancy, Thwacke. Thwacke will bring in experts in the realms of evolutionary biology, nuclear physics, and medicine to add depth and believability to the wasteland, its people, its creatures and its afflictions.

As part of their collaboration with inXile, Thwacke, will be working closely with the writers and producers behind Wasteland 2 to enrich their fiction with interesting science. Thwacke CEO and molecular biologist, Sebastian Alvarado, has ensured that his entire team will align good science from their respective expertise to build rich stories. “We’re interested in creating moments where the player feels the line blur between reality and fiction, ultimately impacting gameplay and narrative”.

What to expect…

Role playing games bring some of the most personalized gaming experiences to the player. At the core of their gameplay, immersion is required to sell the believability of this experience. While writers can craft this experience with artistic merit, Thwacke offers to enhance it with interdisciplinary science. But what does this mean to the player? Expect creatures that are a natural byproduct of their environment, biological and chemical warfare that makes sense and the medical know-how to survive with the scarcest of resources.

While the full details of Thwacke’s involvement cannot be fully disclosed, they have already brought in unique perspectives from entomologists, nuclear engineers, surgeons and geologists. We plan on using these insights to shape a world capable of capturing the imagination of players and offer relevant, creative and immersive experience for the player.

"The more smart guys we have in room looking at the writing and design is always a good thing and in this case we have a group of very bright people checking our work." –Brian Fargo

Thwacke: A science consultancy for the gaming industry

Thwacke’s extensive network has been built around two pillars; a passion for scientific research and a love for video games. Maral Tajerian, co-founder at Thwacke and neuroscientist has assured that “Thwacke isn’t interested in fact checking or burdening a player with details. We’re only interested in working within the realms of a player’s interest to discuss next generation research“. With a team that represents fields from rocket science to brain surgery (and everything in between) they bring in the brightest of minds to build a team unique to a specific project’s vision.
randir14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 02:26 AM   #3
sai tyrus
Renegade Paragon

That's different. Hopefully, it won't chew up funding too much.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve!" - Bilbo Baggins
sai tyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:06 AM   #4
Agnostic Pope
Evil Dead

It is a real shame I won't be playing this game (pc only). I don't like the genre but the original was the exception.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Jesus View Post
You sir, are my fucking hero!
Agnostic Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:31 AM   #5
Gusj
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic Pope View Post
It is a real shame I won't be playing this game (pc only). I don't like the genre but the original was the exception.
Why not? It will be released for Macintosh and Linux as well, and the hardware requirements will probably not be that high.
Old 10-26-2012, 03:39 AM   #6
Agnostic Pope
Evil Dead

My PC is crap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Jesus View Post
You sir, are my fucking hero!
Agnostic Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 07:23 PM   #7
Azzy
Cthulian

A) I love that somebody besides me still says Macintosh.
B) I'm upset they didn't go with my Scientific Foundation "Kyrblammo-Oink-Oink-Wooja".
Azzy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inxile, thwacke, wasteland 2