Last post by Emabulator
Today 02:12 PM
1 Replies, 148 Views
» Promotion

Old 08-30-2012, 05:09 PM   #1
randir14
Subscriber

Wasteland 2 Footage

Just a short video clip of Wasteland 2 that was shown during Brian Fargo's "Power of the Crowd" speech at Unite 2012. It shows the same location as the screenshot that was released awhile back.
randir14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 05:26 PM   #2
ElektroDragon
Panzermensch!

That was probably the stupidest clip I've ever seen. 5 people standing in a circle gesturing at a robot scorpion across a river?!? WTF? Was this just a weird tech demo?
Old 08-30-2012, 05:33 PM   #3
lockwoodx
Photobomber

I'll believe it when I see it... Finished.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkumaATR View Post
Lock is untouchable though, he's too cool to be targeted, like ever. He's Detroit's Heisenberg!
lockwoodx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 06:12 PM   #4
Azriel77
Evil Dead

Remember, this is just alpha footage to show off the engine, this was not intended to wow gamers. With that said though, I just wish the game looked a bit less cartoony.
Azriel77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 06:19 PM   #5
lockwoodx
Photobomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azriel77 View Post
Remember, this is just alpha footage to show off the engine, this was not intended to wow gamers. With that said though, I just wish the game looked a bit less cartoony.
Yeah even Xcom is shaping up to be a better game atm but hey, these guys went for the dream and got it, so more power to them. I'll reserve judgement for the finalized product, since they will be attempting to market it directly to me, the consumer and not their kickstarter suckers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkumaATR View Post
Lock is untouchable though, he's too cool to be targeted, like ever. He's Detroit's Heisenberg!
lockwoodx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:42 PM   #6
Raw
UNDUBs 4 ALL

I hope the best for the team and the game, but this kind of demos should be internal only. This is not something you want to show to the guys that payed tens, if not hundreds of dlls for the kickstarter.
Raw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:43 PM   #7
Asmodan
Evil Dead

Quote:
Yeah even Xcom is shaping up to be a better game atm
Xcom is releasing in a month, this is probably still a year away.
Asmodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:40 PM   #8
NilreMK
Peon

You guys are expecting way too much. Wasteland 2 will be a labor of love and is being made by some of the smartest, most passionate devs around. However they've only been working for a couple of months! Actually even less, considering they had to start by staffing up. Finding good people take time and it's not something you want to cut corners on.

The other thing is, they're only working with a budget of what, 3 millions? That's only a fraction of psychonauts budget, a ps2/xbox era title that wasn't considered a large title even in those days. I'm guessing here, but xcom's budget is probably 15+ millions and they've been working on it for around 3 years.

Why are they showing such early tests? Because they can, there's no publisher or marketing team forcing them to work secretly without community feedback. Because the money men ARE the community, it make sense for us to see internal tests and prototype. They're eager to engage fans and to have a relationship with them during development and this is a good thing.
NilreMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 12:06 AM   #9
BytorUK
Soul Reaper

OK not sure I get the last 2 posts.

Borderlands 2 comes out in a few weeks. The first game had carttony graphics but it worked and was a lot of fun . It was an FPS where as this demo makes B2 look more like an RTS.

The video clip sucks!!!
BytorUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 12:08 AM   #10
BytorUK
Soul Reaper

I mean wasteland 2 doh!!! Now I get it!! Too early for me
BytorUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 12:17 AM   #11
davidj.dk
Reaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NilreMK View Post
You guys are expecting way too much. Wasteland 2 will be a labor of love and is being made by some of the smartest, most passionate devs around. However they've only been working for a couple of months! Actually even less, considering they had to start by staffing up. Finding good people take time and it's not something you want to cut corners on.

The other thing is, they're only working with a budget of what, 3 millions? That's only a fraction of psychonauts budget, a ps2/xbox era title that wasn't considered a large title even in those days. I'm guessing here, but xcom's budget is probably 15+ millions and they've been working on it for around 3 years.

Why are they showing such early tests? Because they can, there's no publisher or marketing team forcing them to work secretly without community feedback. Because the money men ARE the community, it make sense for us to see internal tests and prototype. They're eager to engage fans and to have a relationship with them during development and this is a good thing.
+1 - What he said!
davidj.dk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 01:14 AM   #12
vallor
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by NilreMK View Post
You guys are expecting way too much. Wasteland 2 will be a labor of love and is being made by some of the smartest, most passionate devs around.
I won't argue that they are passionate or smart, but THE smartest and THE most passionate? I dunno but statements like these make the hair stand up on the back of my neck.

Quote:
The other thing is, they're only working with a budget of what, 3 millions? That's only a fraction of psychonauts budget, a ps2/xbox era title that wasn't considered a large title even in those days.
I remember somewhere that psychonauts cost about $9m. So even though it is technically "a fraction" you're implying a very tiny amount by comparison but 33% in my mind is bigger than that implication. Large, well funded XBLA/PSN games have half this $3 budget and there are some really good XBLA/PSN games out there with great gameplay AND high production values. This game may not be rolling in AAA retail boxed product dough, but they have a dream budget compared to many other titles of similar scale.

IMO their real problem is they are already too ambitious for their budget. Just on what Fargo has said about the depth of the areas, the assets they are building, the linking stories across areas, each "tile" having it's own story... a lot of these things sound like fodder for a cut list.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 01:46 AM   #13
ldi222
Subscriber

It was a prototype that was meant to show flexibility in camera angles. Having said that, it was a very dull PR piece. Less is more, they already have the money. Still, I liked the fact that the camera was not limited to a far angle tactical zoom (which I think was the point of the footage). Too many games do not allow for that and the top down homage was just icing on the cake. It's hard to understand though why they would present potential gameplay of a giant scorpion and 5 players and not show a fight with spectacular PFX.
ldi222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 02:34 AM   #14
HillTribe
Evil Dead

Color me fucking excited. I never got to play wasteland in its day, but this is close to what I wanted out of Fallout 3.
HillTribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 02:48 AM   #15
AboveAvgCharles
Evil Dead

This was a proof of concept showing off the engine and some of the animation designs, nothing more. This is obviously in a very early state, and I for one respect that the devs are being so open about the development process rather than saving everything for a perfectly polished sizzle reel or a completely prerendered movie showing no game assets whatsoever.

I like seeing this more inside look at the process and respect that they respect US enough to share internal milestones like this.
AboveAvgCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 04:22 AM   #16
Mix-Master
Soul Reaper

Sounds like i am a sucker than hehe. But the game sounded cool so i kicked in along with a few other games. Now it is up to them to make it release worthy.
Old 08-31-2012, 05:50 AM   #17
Nosfaratus_
Dread Lord

The animations are competent and they already have a working engine at least in the prototype stage.
Nosfaratus_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 08:49 AM   #18
ElfShotTheFood
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
I won't argue that they are passionate or smart, but THE smartest and THE most passionate? I dunno but statements like these make the hair stand up on the back of my neck.
Here's a quote for the back of the box: "From the creators of Hunted: The Demon's Forge and ChopLifter HD!"
ElfShotTheFood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 09:25 PM   #19
Azzy
Cthulian

if you're going to take the quote "Some of the smartest" and turn it into "THE smartest" then you are kind of dumb. nobody said that this game is being made by the most intelligent, alien sentience granted finger of god motherfuckers on the planet who skeet mountain dew and cry gold coins.
this demo proves that they're putting their money where their mouths are, and that they're staying TRUE to what the INVESTORS got behind to BEGIN with.
this isn't a game you play because of graphics. it's not using Cryengine 10. and if it plays like an RTS, good. it's WASTELAND 2. understand what the first one was and you'll see that this is a glorious update with people who obviously care about what they're doing.
Azzy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wasteland 2