Last post by brandonjclark
Today 03:44 PM
25 Replies, 1,904 Views
» Promotion

Old 09-09-2006, 12:08 PM   #1
Kefkataran
Die trying

Halo RTS Fan Project Shut Down

Destructoid is reporting that the Halo RTS mod being workd on over at Halogen has been received shut-down orders courtesy of Microsoft. From Halogen's post:

Quote:
For the last three years, we’ve worked incessantly to bring you the best Halo mod that we could. There have been a lot of ups and downs, but somehow Halogen has always managed to come out kicking. The problem with using copyrighted intellectual property as a base for a fan project is that you’re very susceptible to legal action. We always figured that since Halogen was such a different take on the Halo franchise, we might manage to make it without incident. That changed today.

Hours ago, we finally recieved the words we’ve been dreading since the mod started to get noticed. Microsoft has decided that we are infringing on the intellectual property of Bungie Studios and has asked us to stop development on Halogen.
Yuck. I'm not going to say Microsoft's in the wrong here, exactly, but it's always sad to see these projects die after the people behind them have pumped so much hard work into them.

Update from the guys over at Halogen:

Quote:
1. Halogen was started back in 2003. Before Microsoft actually absorbed Bungie and took control of all property, IIRC

2. Halogen was based on the BOOKS, not the game. As far as I know, Microsoft only owns property related to the games. Since both share common material, that gets a little sticky.

3. Bungie has known about us for at least a year prior to this, and has ALWAYS approved of what we were doing. See Sketch's posts on the HBO forums for proof.

4. It was never for profit. EVER. It was just a fan project to be distributed for free.
Kefkataran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 12:14 PM   #2
Adam Blue
BlueGamer.net

Bullshit. I didn´t wan´t to post from brazil, but this pisses me off. I`ve been following this thing since the beginning. I didn`t think miçrosoft would do this.
Old 09-09-2006, 12:14 PM   #3
michaelwhite
Banned

I'd propose to anyone considering development of a project with the potential to be FOX'ed to do so as discretely as possible, having just one large release. In fact, I'm sure there are even ways for this particular team to continue production, perhaps through the use of newsgroups, torrents, and plain old anonymity.
michaelwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 12:19 PM   #4
jBusy
Developer of Fortune

I understand Microsoft protecting their trademarks and IP. However, there are better ways of doing this. King's Quest: The Silver Lining received a Fan License from Vivendi so they could continue to work on their Fan Project while still protecting the IP.
jBusy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 12:21 PM   #5
Phades
Non-Mod

This is total BS. If they're not releasing it for profit, what's the problem? Don't things like this just serve to broaden awareness/appeal of a particular brand? Heck, if someone gets really into the RTS and wants more of the Halo world they may go out and buy the official games. As long as they're not trying to play it off as an official Halo project, I don't see how this could hurt Microsoft.
Phades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 12:22 PM   #6
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Frankly, the idea of making a Halo RTS and saying "it's so far from" what Halo is, when Halos tarted out as an RTS is a bit silly. I could see if they were making a Halo racing game or a Halo collectible card game how they would be beyond attack, but an RTS was almost taunting MS.
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 12:22 PM   #7
Banacek
The Α and the Ω

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefkataran
Yuck. I'm not going to say Microsoft's in the wrong here, exactly, but it's always sad to see these projects die after the people behind them have pumped so much hard work into them.
Maybe they should of put all that hard work into working on something they own the right to. It makes no sense to do this anymore. You know you're going to get shut down. Why not just make the game based on something new?
Old 09-09-2006, 12:23 PM   #8
MoJoBehaumat
Evil Dead

Hey there is a simple answer to their problem simply stop using the Halo as the backbone and create your own damn IP.

I mean they can still somewhat copy Halo in certin aspects but put your own twist on the whole series with different enemies, worlds, charcter design. Is it really that hard be creative?
MoJoBehaumat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 12:25 PM   #9
thecrazyd

Maybe this means that Bungie is now working on an official RTS? Beyond that, the team was really stupid to make this public from the beginning.
Old 09-09-2006, 12:28 PM   #10
Zawath
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phades
This is total BS. If they're not releasing it for profit, what's the problem? Don't things like this just serve to broaden awareness/appeal of a particular brand? Heck, if someone gets really into the RTS and wants more of the Halo world they may go out and buy the official games. As long as they're not trying to play it off as an official Halo project, I don't see how this could hurt Microsoft.
If it had suck, it would have hurt the Halo name.
Zawath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 12:38 PM   #11
SaintArnold
Reaper

FOXED!

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to 10 characters.
SaintArnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 12:39 PM   #12
Varsity
Fine Nonsense

Mods that exist solely to turn game X into game, film and especially anime series Y are always crap anyway.
Varsity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 12:39 PM   #13
Suicidal ShiZuru
Mutual Hatred

MS is just jealous they actually had a good idea.
Old 09-09-2006, 12:42 PM   #14
Draft
Barry? Where's Barry?

Seems more likely that the Halo RTS game is going to be a reality.
Rescue
Service
Draft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 12:45 PM   #15
ElectricMonk
Vaultdweller

I think it's retarded that people keep making games like this with other people's ip.

if you're going to spend so much time and effort on something, why not do it with your own ideas? maybe make some money in the end too?
Old 09-09-2006, 12:47 PM   #16
Mr.Green
Always greener

Why not create your own "universe"? It seems a hell lot more productive and fun that to plagiarize someone else's work.
Mr.Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 12:49 PM   #17
EvilBob46
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricMonk
I think it's retarded that people keep making games like this with other people's ip.

if you're going to spend so much time and effort on something, why not do it with your own ideas?
People may want to experience their favorite universe in a different way or see it updated in some form. It's not any different from a lot of folk's obsession with, say, Star Wars fan fiction, videos, mods and whatnot.
EvilBob46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 12:57 PM   #18
Kefkataran
Die trying

Quote:
Frankly, the idea of making a Halo RTS and saying "it's so far from" what Halo is, when Halos tarted out as an RTS is a bit silly. I could see if they were making a Halo racing game or a Halo collectible card game how they would be beyond attack, but an RTS was almost taunting MS.
Did the group ever say it's "so far" from what Halo is? And even if Halo started as an RTS, the final release was obviously nowhere near that.
Old 09-09-2006, 12:58 PM   #19
Jenga
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricMonk

if you're going to spend so much time and effort on something, why not do it with your own ideas? maybe make some money in the end too?
They are fans. FAAAAANS. FAN MADE. Not made for money, but for the simple enjoyment they get out of doing something fun with a universe they love. Do you understand?
Jenga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 01:00 PM   #20
markster3000
Soul Reaper

Realistically, they will continue with their project, but change all the details that are Halo-related.
markster3000 is offline   Reply With Quote