Last post by brandonjclark
Yesterday 11:38 PM
8 Replies, 695 Views
» Promotion

Old 06-07-2012, 08:54 AM   #1
randir14
Subscriber

IO Interactive Apologizes for Hitman Trailer

Tore Blystad from IO Interactive has apologized for Hitman Absolution's recent trailer that featured Agent 47 vs. nuns with guns.

Quote:
“We’re sorry that we offended people – that was truly not the intention of the trailer,” he said, asked if IO understood what it was about the Attack of the Saints trailer that left a sour taste.

Of course we understand, this has been a very big topic for us and we’ve been reading as much as we could of the articles and responses. We were surprised that it turned into such a huge topic. Something similar happened with our Sniper Challenge pre-order bonus... We just wanted to make something cool, it wasn’t the intention to stir up anything."

Some commentators had suggested that the trailer was in itself a marketing ploy designed to attract attention, something that Blystad strongly denies. "It really came as a big surprise to us how it all went down," he said. "It was never the intention to provoke people with it."
Read more at IGN

Last edited by randir14; 06-07-2012 at 09:17 AM..
randir14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 09:59 AM   #2
BruceLeeroy
Death Knight

Fuck people...this world has become the biggest cesspool of thin skinned pansies with whom free speech is only okay if it agrees with their opinions. Good for I/O. I found nothing offensive about that trailer...and even if I did, who am I to criticize? Just move along. I seriously want to rage when I see stories like this.
BruceLeeroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:02 AM   #3
Sammael
Nope, nope. Not this time

I would say that if you were offended by that video, you probably weren't interested at any point in buying a game called "Hitman"...

Waste of breath.

Biggest Ranger Fan on EA!!!!!!!!
Lets go Rangers!!!!
Sammael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:13 AM   #4
drakkarim
Evil Dead

Location: in a van under the I-80 bridge, down by the missouri river
so the original chick raised a stink to get web hits and serve up more ads, seemed to work, so she's doing it again.
drakkarim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:31 AM   #5
lockwoodx
Photobomber

Such a waste of perfectly badass nuns.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkumaATR View Post
Lock is untouchable though, he's too cool to be targeted, like ever. He's Detroit's Heisenberg!
lockwoodx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 11:13 AM   #6
Azzy
Cthulian

if it were my company we'd revisit the trailer and make a v2.0 where 47 saves the last one, takes her back to as shed, does some bath salts and eats her face while he puts a baby in her butt.
Azzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 11:29 AM   #7
Adain
Death Knight

what was a lot of the backlash surrounding? Just watched the trailer and it seems a bit far out for a hitman game, though it has been a long time since I've played any. I seem to remember them being grounded more in reality and not ninja assassin nuns.
Adain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 11:39 AM   #8
Patera
Dread Lord

The only thing that this video kind of disappointed me on was that I had thought that this Hitman game was to be taken fairly serious. Sexy nuns shooting up things and using rocket launchers, while not to be necessarily taken lightly, seemed a little more tongue in cheek than I was expecting from this game.

I am also calling shenanigans on "It really came as a big surprise to us how it all went down," he said. "It was never the intention to provoke people with it."
Patera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 11:41 AM   #9
LoTECH
Evil Dead

The point where the sexy nun pulls a fucking rocket-launcher out of her habit should have been a signal to people that they weren't going for a serious vibe with the advert.
It was Grindhouse, through-and-through.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:56 AM   #10
randir14
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adain View Post
what was a lot of the backlash surrounding? Just watched the trailer and it seems a bit far out for a hitman game, though it has been a long time since I've played any. I seem to remember them being grounded more in reality and not ninja assassin nuns.
A bunch of people wailed and gnashed their teeth, claiming that it promoted violence against women (funny how nobody complains about killing hordes of men in other games), one comment I saw said that it set back the gaming industry 27 years. But by far the most insane were the articles stating that the trailer proved that there is a "gamer rape culture". I don't know why IO felt the need to apologize to those idiots.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:58 AM   #11
lockwoodx
Photobomber

I find it funny people complain about this trailer, yet there was little to no backlash against using giant purple dongs in Saints Row 3. The industry hasn't jumped the shark, it jumped the rainbow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkumaATR View Post
Lock is untouchable though, he's too cool to be targeted, like ever. He's Detroit's Heisenberg!
lockwoodx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 12:41 PM   #12
BoomDoc
Peon

People always find a way to complain about something. While I agree that the latex attire wasn't really needed I know that if they would have been just nuns that pulled out guns someone would have said that it promotes violence towards women and it's an attack on religion. I do feel that it would have made a better trailer if they would have been just female hitmen dressed as nuns instead of fetish gang members though.
BoomDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 12:55 PM   #13
Dag-Sabot
Evil Dead

This game has become ridiculous. If you're going that way why not make it saint's row over the top ridiculous.
Old 06-07-2012, 01:08 PM   #14
LilAbner
Evil Dead

Good thing for IO that they didn't use Muslims. When they get offended, someone usually dies.

Romans 6:23
LilAbner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 01:11 PM   #15
vallor
Evil Dead

I don't get it. Why did they have to apologize? I didn't see anything objectionable there. Hot nuns getting wasted by 47. Big deal.

The nuns were at least armed, what about the poor innocent people in the other motel rooms that just got exploded by the Nun's rocket. Nobody is weeping for them. SHAME!
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 01:19 PM   #16
blackzc
Evil Dead

^Shot em a nun didn't he? No more classless than any of the other hitman games though. Garbage. But yeah religious folks loose credibility when they only complain about bs like this.
Old 06-07-2012, 01:37 PM   #17
Sensei-X
Evil Dead

So let me check, women blowing Duke Nukem = not offensive, bad-ass nuns trying to kill 47 = offensive. Got it.
Old 06-07-2012, 01:38 PM   #18
blackzc
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensei-X View Post
So let me check, women blowing Duke Nukem = not offensive, bad-ass nuns trying to kill 47 = offensive. Got it.
Nuns blowing duke? AHHHH!!!!!
Old 06-07-2012, 02:37 PM   #19
toob_ninja
Soul Reaper

He's far better at PR than I would have been in his situation.

I went to catholic schools for most of my childhood and I can attest that that is an accurate depiction of killer nuns...
Old 06-07-2012, 02:49 PM   #20
randir14
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensei-X View Post
People made a big stink about DNF's hive level

Tags
hitman absolution, io interactive