Last post by see colon
Yesterday 08:49 PM
14 Replies, 939 Views
» Promotion

Old 08-30-2006, 06:55 AM   #1
MoJoBehaumat
Evil Dead

New PSP 2007

According to my newest PSM Sony is going to Re-release a redesigned PSP that will hit first in Japan as soon as March 2007
So far it looks like Sony will
  • reached a deal with Samsung to purchase 8GB flash memory chips which will be built in according to industry reports.
  • miniature hard disk drives are out
  • will be streamlined and thinner and lighter
  • Sony is still expected to include astill/video camera of undertermined resolution as a buit-in feature of the new PSP

Wow, did Sony redesign the PSP too early or was this just what might be needed to help the PSP move forward.

Last edited by MoJoBehaumat; 08-30-2006 at 08:12 AM..
MoJoBehaumat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 08:09 AM   #2
IagoTheHunted
Evil Dead

More fancy hardware with no good games. THANKS SONY! Oh wait...
IagoTheHunted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 08:15 AM   #3
Morratut
Evil Dead

LOL i wasn't expecting this at all.

I chose a DS Lite but that was because of the games.
Morratut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 08:18 AM   #4
31 Flavas
Baskin-Robbins

Well if this is the case, what are they going to do with the existing 7 million unsold PSP's?

If the new PSP units are going to have 8 gig of memory built in, streamlined and thinner and lighter, and have a camera built in, who would want to buy the old version PSP, assming the new PSP doesn't cost $600....
[The DS] was a huge success because it had basically zero competition.
31 Flavas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 08:18 AM   #5
Gorvi
Dark Resistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by IagoTheHunted
Really, the 'no good PSP games' line needs to stop. This may have been true 8 months ago (and even then it wasn't really), but it's not anymore. It's no longer a witty thing to say.
Gorvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 08:24 AM   #6
MoJoBehaumat
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31 Flavas
Well if this is the case, what are they going to do with the existing 7 million unsold PSP's?
Well according to the article
"Sony is instead eyeing a page from Apples iPod strategy and upgrading the existing PSP's specifications while keeping the retail price the same. It is also expected that, as Apple does with its generational iPod rollouts, the current PSP configuaration will be discountinued when the new model gones on sale."
Old 08-30-2006, 08:24 AM   #7
Kamalot
plays Helix daily

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoJoBehaumat
Wow, did Sony redesign the PSP too early or was this just what might be needed to help the PSP move forward.
The PSP needed a better design, focused on gaming, load times and battery life, from the get-go. UMD is a huge drain on battery and most game developers never optimize their titles to make loading fast. Non-crappy buttons would help. A not so slippy-shitty analog nub (use the joystick from the Tapwave Zodiac) is necessary. Make sure the system has 2 analog inputs too.

I'd also like to see less shovelware and ports and remakes pooped onto the system too, but I suppose if that's what PSP users are buying these days...
Kamalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 08:24 AM   #8
TrackZero
秘密のプロジェクト

Where's my fixed d-pad Sony?
TrackZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 08:26 AM   #9
Kamalot
plays Helix daily

Oh, and Sony...make sure you plug all the 'hacker holes' Heaven forbid that people run a goddamn emulator on their device. ;-)
Old 08-30-2006, 08:27 AM   #10
MSUStud911
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamalot
The PSP needed a better design, focused on gaming, load times and battery life, from the get-go. UMD is a huge drain on battery and most game developers never optimize their titles to make loading fast. Non-crappy buttons would help. A not so slippy-shitty analog nub (use the joystick from the Tapwave Zodiac) is necessary. Make sure the system has 2 analog inputs too.
All of these are the obvious and best suggestions, especially dual analog sticks/nubs. But if you notice, the speculated new features don't include any of this obvious stuff. My question is, if they're not going to fix this obvious stuff, what's the damn point of a re-design?
MSUStud911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 08:28 AM   #11
soco
Evil Dead

correct me if i'm wrong, but Sony has still never confirmed this have they? these rumours have been floating around for months on end.
soco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 08:30 AM   #12
pheriannath
no puppet = no go

"if nintendo can do it, so can we!"

except, it looks like sony isn't going to streamline the device and take suggestions on what would actually make it a better system. on-board storage is a plus, though. those memory sticks are expensive!
pheriannath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 08:31 AM   #13
MoJoBehaumat
Evil Dead

Apparently having 8GB of rewritable memory in the PSP as a standard feature is likely a key part of Sony's plans for funneling downloadable content to the handheld via the PS3.
Old 08-30-2006, 08:35 AM   #14
51|RandoM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSUStud911
My question is, if they're not going to fix this obvious stuff, what's the damn point of a re-design?
Reduce productions costs while showing continuing commitment to the platform.

...which is probably a good idea if people want to see more good games on the platform. People aren't going to want to develop on the PSP if they think Sony is going to turn around and abandon it.
51|RandoM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 08:35 AM   #15
Kamalot
plays Helix daily

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSUStud911
All of these are the obvious and best suggestions, especially dual analog sticks/nubs. But if you notice, the speculated new features don't include any of this obvious stuff. My question is, if they're not going to fix this obvious stuff, what's the damn point of a re-design?
Well, Sony obviously is tapped into the gamer psyche. They KNOW what gamers want. It is plain to see that gamers want GPS and camera addons. Gamers want RSS readers and email with the most painful goddamn text entry system known to humankind.

In all seriousness, you raise some valid points. There are a ton of things that can be improved upon with the PSP to make it a better gaming system, but Sony is completely fucking bat-shit crazy to overlook them. Instead, they'll put flash memory in there to SELL you music, still trying to dethrone the iPod with a PSP.

I don't know how many more non-gaming functions they can squeeze into the PSP, but I'm sure Sony will keep cramming crap in there as long as they can.

Here's a pic of the redesign inspiration...

Source

Last edited by Kamalot; 08-30-2006 at 08:42 AM..
Old 08-30-2006, 08:38 AM   #16
Stevercakes
Lord

I actually don't mind the weight of the psp. Like my mouse for the pc, I have the mx1000 and that thing weighs a lot, for a mouse.

But everything else, i'd trade my psp in, especially for the 8 gigs built in.
Stevercakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 08:44 AM   #17
MoJoBehaumat
Evil Dead

also noted that:
"the complex UMD hatch is being replaced by a slot loading configuration wherby UMD discs are inserted directly into the system, much like a cartridge into a Game Boy or DS game cards.
The biggest unknown remais whether or not Sony will add a second analog stick to its design. Technically speaking, there's nothing stopping them from doing it; after all, PS one gained not one, but two analog sticks during its lifespan, and it only made the system better in the end. If it's done, this does create problems for owners of current PSPs since gamesrequiring two analog sticks will obviously be released for the newer hardward. It's for this reason that we at PSM still feel that this addition to the PSP spec may not happen"
Old 08-30-2006, 08:49 AM   #18
31 Flavas
Baskin-Robbins

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoJoBehaumat
"Sony is [...] upgrading the existing PSP's specifications while keeping the retail price the same. It is also expected that [...] the current PSP configuaration will be discountinued when the new model gones on sale."
Well, that fine and dandy I don't have a problem with the upgrades being sold at the same retail price as the predecessor.

Perhaps i'm blind/missing something here since i'm much more a Nintendo fan, but I'm sure Sony would like to sell _some_ of those unsold 7 million PSP1 units. I just don't see how they would ever sell in light of this upgrade, without a price cut...

The retailers aren't going to take the hit, they'll just return them to Sony for credit.
[The DS] was a huge success because it had basically zero competition.
31 Flavas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 09:15 AM   #19
kid cabelgo
cuttin' muffins!

Sony comes so very close to selling me on a PSP all the time, but they always end up fucking it up in the end. It's always something tha turns me off...

First it was the price, then it was the games and the battery life, but then the price dropped, but not quite enough and the game library still sucked. Oh, and the loading times. Now, the improved version sounds kind of cool, but they went and added a useless piece of shit like a camera to it instead of giving us more than 8mb of flash to work with. Nobody wants a camera on their PSP. We have them on our phones. We have [i]actual[i] digital cameras. No more cameras! Put the money into something that makes the system actually worth purchasing. It's not like it's so great and perfect that you might as well add something new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Finger
The machive is filled with dugs.
kid cabelgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 09:19 AM   #20
Metal Jesus
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by IagoTheHunted
Here's a partial list of great games for the PSP:

Lumines
WipEout Pure
Tekken: Dark Resurrection
Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories
Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror
Burnout Legends
Daxter
Loco Roco
Virtua Tennis: World Tour
MLB '06: The Show
Mega Man Powered Up