Last post by Peelzbury
Today 12:06 PM
10 Replies, 1,264 Views
» Promotion

Old 05-22-2012, 12:00 PM   #1
Emabulator
iBlood Donor

MechWarrior Online Closed Beta Details

Piranha Games and Infinite Game Publishing have revealed how you can get in on the MechWarrior Online closed beta with the Operation: Inception Founder's Program.

Quote:
MONTREAL - May 22, 2012 - Calling all MechWarrior® fans! MechWarrior Online is heading into the first closed beta this week (fans can register now for a chance to gain access at www.mwomercs.com) and Piranha Games and Infinite Game Publishing have revealed how fans can obtain guaranteed early access this summer with OPERATION INCEPTION: an exclusive MechWarrior Online™ Founder’s Program that goes on sale June 19th.

OPERATION INCEPTION will offer die-hard fans of this beloved franchise valuable benefits including: in-game currency, a custom BattleMech™ (“ELITE” level only), up to a two-month free premium account, a permanent “Founder’s Tag” and more. OPERATION INCEPTION” gives fans a limited one-time chance to secure exclusive MechWarrior Online game content via two ranks:

$60 ELITE Founder's Package Includes:
  • Exclusive custom "Founder's BattleMech." This 'Mech includes a lifetime, per-match C-Bill booster.
  • $80 value of in-game currency* for in-game item purchases.
  • Two-month premium account to MechWarrior Online at launch: Earn XP & C-Bills faster.
  • Founder's Tag - sets your status apart from the crowd & get noticed in-game and on the forums.
  • Early access to the game along with Founder's assets availability starts July 17th.
$30 VETERAN Founder's Package Includes:
  • $40 value of in-game currency* for in-game item purchases.
  • One-month premium account to MechWarrior Online at launch: Earn XP & C-Bills faster.
  • Founder's Tag - sets your status apart from the crowd & get noticed in-game and on the forums.
  • Early access to the game along with Founder's assets availability starts July 17th.
OPERATION INCEPTION assets and early game access will be available for ELITE or VETERAN Founder's Package players starting July 17th.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 04:07 PM   #2
Skunk
Evil Dead

Seems to me for $60 you should just get a complete game....

Also, only 2 months of premium account? Are these going to cost something in the $30 ballpark? I like Battletech but not that much.
Skunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 04:58 PM   #3
Whimbrel
Subhuman

I tried the Mechwarrior 3 back when it was only 12 years old, because a friend swore how great it was. I stopped playing after about 5 minutes because I couldn't seem to control the fucking thing. I'm guessing I wasn't the only one.
Whimbrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 05:35 PM   #4
randir14
Subscriber

I want to be interested in this game...but has Piranha ever made anything good? The last thing they created was Duke Nukem Forever's multiplayer.
randir14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 07:05 PM   #5
Peelzbury
Evil Dead

-.- premium?

urge to play.. flagging.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:30 PM   #6
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peelzbury View Post
-.- premium?

urge to play.. flagging.
Put me in the same boat. I'm about done with anything that costs a monthly fee.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:51 PM   #7
Steve_Erhardt
Pancake Rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peelzbury View Post
-.- premium?

urge to play.. flagging.
My interest has been seriously flagging for months, between the whole approach of grinding for goodies and pared-down design from the initial retail release concept, and now this F2P, which honestly we all knew would have micro transactions, now has $30 and $60 premium buy-in options?

Seriously. WTF. Make up your fucking minds, Pirahna. For $60 mother fucking dollars, I want to be able to fully customize a mech from 20 to 100 tons, with any and all components, right from launching the game without fucking MMO grinding to get it, AND the ability to create a private match where I and my friends can slug it out without having to suffer strangers in our midst.

Give me that, and I'll happily be first in line with my $60, but I somehow doubt that's going to be the case.
Steve_Erhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:02 PM   #8
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_Erhardt View Post
Give me that, and I'll happily be first in line with my $60, but I somehow doubt that's going to be the case.
I'm sorry, Sir. Your description of the game did not include money hats.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:11 PM   #9
Emabulator
iBlood Donor

The free-to-play market will come crashing down soon enough when people get tired of spending endless money on mediocre games.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 05:43 AM   #10
Anenome
Autarchist

Hawken's going to take down the champ.
Anenome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:38 AM   #11
Steve_Erhardt
Pancake Rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anenome View Post
Hawken's going to take down the champ.
I dunno about that… That's like saying HAWX took down IL-2.

Mechwarrior, as much as their approach is pissing me right the fuck off and making me want to kick their loved ones in the face, still seems to be more of a tactical, deliberate, combat sim with an appropriately slower pace to the actual gameplay, vs. Haken's gameplay, which appears to be straight-up, old-fashioned, run-and-gun FPS thrash and blast frenzy where your avatar just happens to be a big robot instead of a roid-raging super hero.
Old 05-24-2012, 02:12 AM   #12
Anenome
Autarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_Erhardt View Post
I dunno about that… That's like saying HAWX took down IL-2.

Mechwarrior, as much as their approach is pissing me right the fuck off and making me want to kick their loved ones in the face, still seems to be more of a tactical, deliberate, combat sim with an appropriately slower pace to the actual gameplay, vs. Haken's gameplay, which appears to be straight-up, old-fashioned, run-and-gun FPS thrash and blast frenzy where your avatar just happens to be a big robot instead of a roid-raging super hero.
Here's my problem with the whole 'Hawken is just an FPS pretending to be a mech sim' you some keep saying...

If people ever did create actual mechs, I think it would be a lot more like Hawken than like Mechwarrior.

The size difference accounts for the majority of the differences. Hawken-mech suits aren't much larger than an actual person, whereas mechwarrior has you in robots the size of three story houses.

There's a major problem with that--you could never build one in reality. Metals don't exist and aren't likely to exist that are strong enough to pull that off, with energy densities powerful enough to propel them, and if they did exist by some radical improvement in technology YOU CAN DAMN WELL BET THAT HEAT BUILDUP WILL BE THE LAST THING AN ENGINEER OF THAT PERIOD WOULD HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT.

Okay, so I'm bitter, you know that, and I judge games critically from a realism perspective of actual mechanics (when it comes to scifi at least, I'm more of a hard-scifi guy in gaming).
Anenome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 06:43 AM   #13
Steve_Erhardt
Pancake Rabbit

Real-world engineering concerns aside...

The way they play is still as I described. One (mechwarrior) plays as a more deliberate, considered, tactical/strategic affair, and the other (Hawken) is a FPS (strictly going by what they've shown of it so far).

If Hawken does end up eating Mechwarrior's lunch, it won't be because it's a better mech sim (because, well, it's a pure FPS), it'll be because gamers are lazy and it'll be easier to pick up and play, combined with Piranha's screwing the pooch with a level-grinding F2P MMO with multiple levels of pay-to-win that still won't let players play the game the way they want to play it.

Now I'm not saying Hawken doesn't deserve success, and right this minute the approach being taken with Mechwarrior is such a hot mess you better believe I'm twice as likely to play Hawken than I will Mechwarrior. All I'm saying is that they aren't the same kind of game past the cosmetic aspect.

Tags
infinite game publishing, mechwarrior online, piranha games