Last post by Agnostic Pope
Today 08:57 PM
41 Replies, 2,773 Views
» Promotion

Old 05-06-2012, 01:42 AM   #1
randir14
Subscriber

Dead Island Getting a Game of the Year Edition

Eurogamer reports that Dead Island: Game of the Year Edition will be releasing on June 30th.

Quote:
Marmite zombie actioner Dead Island is getting a Game of the Year edition according to UK ratings board the BBFC.

As spotted by Siliconera, the game's listing mentions a 30th June release date for the re-launch.

There's no word on exactly what's included, but presumably both the Ryder White and Bloodbath Arena add-ons will be in there.
Read more
randir14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 02:06 AM   #2
Azrael
Subscriber

really? why? oh well, loved this game. I'll wait till the DLC both hit the bargain basement then i'll probably pick them up.
Azrael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 02:25 AM   #3
Anenome
Autarchist

Grame of the year?
Anenome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 04:17 AM   #4
Fizzl
Reaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anenome View Post
Game of the year?
There are certain interpretations of quantum mechanics that predict even Daikatana was game of the year somewhere.
Fizzl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 06:04 AM   #5
LoTECH
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizzl View Post
There are certain interpretations of quantum mechanics that predict even Daikatana was game of the year somewhere.
Actually, what happened here is a sort of Wibbly-Wobbly Timey-Wimey thing where a particular shard of an alternate dimension managed to imbed itself in our dimension.
This particular alternate dimension is a doozy, though. In it, no other video-games were released that year, so Dead Island-while being a fun romp (but certainly never a GOTY contender), was made the GOTY.
Don't worry, as long as we don't buy it, reality will self-correct
Old 05-06-2012, 08:37 AM   #6
Orphiuchus
Evil Dead

I loved this game, but they really should have just given you some sort of character creation. All 4 characters are really annoying and 3 of them are pretty racist.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:05 AM   #7
Korialstrazs
Evil Dead

I loved this game in the first act, but somewhere during the city my love for the game died. It lost a lot of the unique feel it had going for it, and I realized the weapons weren't going to get any cooler ala Borderlands legendaries. They start using more spawning tricks where zombies can spawn literally on top of you, weapons started disappearing more often etc.

I heavily duped using that well known bug to get around the weapon disappearances. They patched out duping when I was about two hours from the end of the game, but this ended in me losing EVERY SINGLE WEAPON I HAD GATHERED. I ended the game hurling white fire axes I had found on the walls of the prison, the whole thing left a really sour taste in my mouth for a game I had really liked.
Korialstrazs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:49 AM   #8
Patera
Dread Lord

I would love to see where they got this "game of the year" bit from. Magazine, website, bathroom stall? I did enjoy it but it was a far cry from being anywhere near a game of the year contender on any level.
Patera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 01:55 PM   #9
ElfShotTheFood
Evil Dead

Trailer of the year is more like it.

I enjoyed the game, even though it was essentially nothing more than Borderlands Meets Left 4 Dead.

Not sure if a GOTY edition is required, since the DLC isn't all that good from what I've read.
ElfShotTheFood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 02:28 PM   #10
Anenome
Autarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korialstrazs View Post
I heavily duped using that well known bug to get around the weapon disappearances. They patched out duping when I was about two hours from the end of the game, but this ended in me losing EVERY SINGLE WEAPON I HAD GATHERED.
Check and mate. Muahahahahahha! Evil devs win again.
Old 05-06-2012, 02:29 PM   #11
Anenome
Autarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElfShotTheFood View Post
Trailer of the year is more like it.
Lol!

There's no way this grame is GOTY.
Old 05-06-2012, 05:37 PM   #12
KlausFlouride
Poisoned 2 my rotten core

I loved the trailer for this game. I never did buy it for one reason or another. I guess now is a good time to buy it.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:01 PM   #13
Anenome
Autarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlausFlouride View Post
I loved the trailer for this game. I never did buy it for one reason or another. I guess now is a good time to buy it.
Negatory >_>
Old 05-06-2012, 11:36 PM   #14
Agnostic Pope
Evil Dead

It plays best outside a pc. So if you don't have a console then don't get this bugfest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Jesus View Post
You sir, are my fucking hero!
Agnostic Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 01:57 AM   #15
MasterKwan
Evil Dead

Quote:
I loved this game in the first act, but somewhere during the city my love for the game died. It lost a lot of the unique feel it had going for it, and I realized the weapons weren't going to get any cooler ala Borderlands legendaries.
This...100 times this. It was great till a certain point then the fun went away. The weapon breaking mechanic was weak to begin with. I'd rather more and stronger zombies then having my sledge hammer break.
MasterKwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:17 AM   #16
Anenome
Autarchist

Weapon breaking is what pissed me off about Dead Rising too. Really, a samurai sword breaks after what, 5 kills? Really Capcom? FU Capcom! FU!!!
Old 05-07-2012, 02:35 AM   #17
Azrael
Subscriber

Disagree with some of the hate above, this game really is top notch. Yes it was a bugged launch but these were fixed in the first couple weeks. Game is a lot of fun and i clocked up a lot of hours playing it. Towards the end it got a bit long in the tooth but i really do recommend you pick it up if you can see yourself getting into this kinda game.
Azrael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 03:03 AM   #18
Cincinati

how do you do

Oh, that's Great Sir !!
Old 05-07-2012, 03:32 AM   #19
Anenome
Autarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincinati View Post
Oh, that's Great Sir !!
Could you be any more obvious.
Old 05-07-2012, 04:08 AM   #20
MasterKwan
Evil Dead

Quote:
Disagree with some of the hate above, this game really is top notch. Yes it was a bugged launch but these were fixed in the first couple weeks. Game is a lot of fun and i clocked up a lot of hours playing it. Towards the end it got a bit long in the tooth but i really do recommend you pick it up if you can see yourself getting into this kinda game.
My comments aren't really hate. More like regret. It started out strong and then petered out. With some polish and relatively small design changes, I think it would have been a real winner. I loved fallout and 'vega's for instance with their quick to wear out weapons. I was constantly repairing them. Being able to use weapons I picked up to repair the weapons I liked was a real positive thing for me. As it is, I couldn't get attached to any weapon in this game. In Borderlands which worked very similarly top this game, you end up sorting through a bunch of weapons till you find the ones you like and stick with (revolvers for me). The control presentation for the weapons was just god awful too.

I really wanted to love this game. I enjoyed the beginning in spite of the flaws but, later one with the increased zombie count and difficulty, it just became a grind.
MasterKwan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dead island