Ubisoft Emails an...
Last post by Peelzbury
Today 12:06 PM
10 Replies, 1,247 Views
» Promotion

Old 05-07-2012, 07:57 AM   #61
Caerim
Evil Dead

uhhh Blackzc isn't saying *you* shouldn't go to the movie, he's saying *he's* not going to see the movie. He's respecting his own beliefs and not impinging on anyone else's.

Avengers was great. The two extra scenes are worth it (first one made me go ooooh, the second one made me laugh). Hulk stole the scene and everyone got to do something cool except for Agent Robin Sparkles.
Caerim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:09 AM   #62
Ozena
Discombobulated

I'm glad to hear the Hulk's role being praised so much for this movie.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:54 AM   #63
Anenome
Autarchist

The Hulk got the biggest laugh of all, in one particular scene. I honestly can't remember laughing for that long in a movie, ever, like, I was laughing for 30 seconds, and so were other people. It's the scene right after he downs one of the ships and is standing next to Thor looking at it... ^_^
Anenome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:15 AM   #64
SaintBlitzkrieg
On Hiatus For Awhile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anenome View Post
The Hulk got the biggest laugh of all, in one particular scene. I honestly can't remember laughing for that long in a movie, ever, like, I was laughing for 30 seconds, and so were other people. It's the scene right after he downs one of the ships and is standing next to Thor looking at it... ^_^
one of the best scenes in the movie.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:19 AM   #65
SaintBlitzkrieg
On Hiatus For Awhile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caerim View Post
uhhh Blackzc isn't saying *you* shouldn't go to the movie, he's saying *he's* not going to see the movie. He's respecting his own beliefs and not impinging on anyone else's.

Avengers was great. The two extra scenes are worth it (first one made me go ooooh, the second one made me laugh). Hulk stole the scene and everyone got to do something cool except for Agent Robin Sparkles.
Its just easier to say "im not planning on seeing this movie". Instead he took it a step further by adding a heated topic of religion in it. He then put it out there that he pretty much dislikes people who dont believe in his god.

I for one, believe in science, and therefore dont think there is a god. Could there be one, sure, there could, but science says that its not likely. So in a way he says that he dislikes me (I dont really care, but still the fact remains that he is crossing lines) He brought this on himself. This is why you dont talk about religion or politics. You just dont. Instead he crossed that line.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:38 AM   #66
Whimbrel
Subhuman

I was a huge Avengers comic book fan in the 70's and 80's. I never got that into the stand alone mags for Captain America, Thor, or The Hulk, but I found the Avengers to be really entertaining. The characters like Jocasta and Vision and the drama with Pym made it one of my absolute favorite comics along with Iron Man and Daredevil.

Having said that, I saw the movie yesterday with my wife and kids and they all loved it without ever having read a single comic at all, let alone without having grown up deeply loving the Avengers. I had a great time in the film with only two minor complaints. I wish Hawkeye had an actual costume, although that would have been a bit of a stretch, but I thought it minimized his heroness. My only other complaint was that the director's outspoken athiesm and corrupt hollywood money grabbing movie really destroyed all of my religious beliefs and ability to think for myself.
Whimbrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:46 AM   #67
Anenome
Autarchist

Quote:
I for one, believe in science, and therefore dont think there is a god. Could there be one, sure, there could, but science says that its not likely.
Remember when science (including Einstein!) believed the universe was without beginning, eternal, and were forced by the evidence to conclude the universe had a beginning, which corresponded with theistic statements?

That was hilarious.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:42 AM   #68
vallor
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSPfreak View Post
I just don't get this overall point of view. Not saying you're wrong on the literature part, but as far as accuracy goes, this was pretty much the most accurate comic-to-film adaption I can remember seeing.
That's a big part of the problem. It was a direct adaptation, nearly frame for frame, of the graphic novel. A graphic novel only a small majority of a small majority actually liked. If comic fans at large didn't like the book, how did Zack Snyder expect that it would pay for itself much less become a 300 style blockbuster with a direct adaptation? I guess it worked with 300 but that was far more action orientated fare with no real characters that required thought on the part of the viewer.

That's one key among most of the successful comic book movies. They tend to draw from the lore in an interesting and accessible way to make a fun movie rather than film the fiction outright.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:52 AM   #69
Reverend Meta
Evil Dead

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whimbrel View Post
My only other complaint was that the director's outspoken athiesm and corrupt hollywood money grabbing movie really destroyed all of my religious beliefs and ability to think for myself.
Yeah, this part of the movie really bugged me too. Everything else was great!

I actually think I am going to go see it in theaters again with different friends, there was a lot going on and I'm interested to see what stands out during a second viewing.

Also, that fake poster from the box office thread makes me excited thinking about what characters will be added in Avengers 2. Not that I care much for giant ant man Pym or Wasp, but I love War Machine and it would be cool to see others like Vision.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:04 PM   #70
Anenome
Autarchist

All the hidden messages about atheism embedded in the movie were really grating too :P When the Hulk downs a ship, the dust blows up and forms the word 'there is no god' for a split second. I just about jumped out of my chair :P
Old 05-07-2012, 05:36 PM   #71
PSPfreak
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
That's a big part of the problem. It was a direct adaptation, nearly frame for frame, of the graphic novel. A graphic novel only a small majority of a small majority actually liked. If comic fans at large didn't like the book, how did Zack Snyder expect that it would pay for itself much less become a 300 style blockbuster with a direct adaptation? I guess it worked with 300 but that was far more action orientated fare with no real characters that required thought on the part of the viewer.
Quite frankly I think that's the best part of the movie. Instead of dumbing itself down for everyone simply to make money it stayed farily true to itself for the people that could truly appreciate it. And for that Snyder earns a lot of respect from me.

We have enough mindless popcorn flicks. Watchmen didn't need to become that. That's why I respect directors like Richard Kelly so much; he doesn't make movies that only appeal to a minority of people... the intellectuals. God bless him.

Case in point: most people today are idiots.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintBlitzkrieg View Post
I don't believe in reviews.
PSPfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:21 PM   #72
vallor
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSPfreak View Post
Quite frankly I think that's the best part of the movie. Instead of dumbing itself down for everyone simply to make money it stayed farily true to itself for the people that could truly appreciate it.
Faithful adaptation is entirely different than having a good and entertaining movie. Particularly if the source material isn't strong enough to stand on its own when exposed to a broader population. A market that could have easily welcomed a meater comic movie in The Watchmen (as proven by TDK) if it had a more accessible approach.

If all they ever wanted to speak directly to the uber minority that crows on about the comics it would have never gotten the budget to go to the big screen. Straight to DVD at best, made for TV at worst.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:49 PM   #73
Mav
Moderator & Nerd For Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anenome View Post
Hulk really stole the show. He isn't really in the start of the movie but once he is in, he's in. I think he maybe has like one line of dialogue the entire movie but it's done perfectly. I do love me some Hulk, how I often wish I could just smash shit with unbridled rage..
Raptr mavgeek
Twitter @Maverickroll
Mav is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marvel's the avengers