Evil Avatar  




Go Back   Evil Avatar > Daily Gaming News > News Items

» Sponsored Links


» Recent Threads
Star Wars: The Force...
Last post by BeachGaara
Today 04:40 PM
22 Replies, 1,137 Views
Happy Thanksgiving!
Last post by shadow763
Today 04:12 PM
17 Replies, 1,027 Views
Titanfall Hits the Ultra...
Last post by shadow763
Today 04:11 PM
30 Replies, 2,057 Views
Xbox Live Games with...
Last post by shadow763
Today 04:09 PM
5 Replies, 768 Views
The Steam Exploration...
Last post by brandonjclark
Today 03:44 PM
25 Replies, 1,843 Views
Weekend Gamer: What are...
Last post by Rommel
Today 02:46 PM
13 Replies, 435 Views
#GamerGate Happenings...
Last post by Venkman
Today 12:45 PM
30 Replies, 3,800 Views
Ubisoft Emails an...
Last post by Peelzbury
Today 12:06 PM
10 Replies, 1,247 Views
» Promotion


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2012, 07:57 AM   #61
Caerim
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 341
uhhh Blackzc isn't saying *you* shouldn't go to the movie, he's saying *he's* not going to see the movie. He's respecting his own beliefs and not impinging on anyone else's.

Avengers was great. The two extra scenes are worth it (first one made me go ooooh, the second one made me laugh). Hulk stole the scene and everyone got to do something cool except for Agent Robin Sparkles.
Caerim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:09 AM   #62
Ozena
Discombobulated
 
Ozena's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: St. John's, NL
Posts: 1,453
I'm glad to hear the Hulk's role being praised so much for this movie.
__________________
Live life like you're gonna die. Because you are.
Ozena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:54 AM   #63
Anenome
Autarchist
 
Anenome's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Recursion City
Posts: 42,223
Blog Entries: 59
The Hulk got the biggest laugh of all, in one particular scene. I honestly can't remember laughing for that long in a movie, ever, like, I was laughing for 30 seconds, and so were other people. It's the scene right after he downs one of the ships and is standing next to Thor looking at it... ^_^
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by VenomUSMC View Post
I wonder if there would be enough digital storage space in the world if someone tried to digitize your ego -- I'm guessing no.
Anenome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:15 AM   #64
SaintBlitzkrieg
On Hiatus For Awhile
 
SaintBlitzkrieg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: WI
Posts: 5,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anenome View Post
The Hulk got the biggest laugh of all, in one particular scene. I honestly can't remember laughing for that long in a movie, ever, like, I was laughing for 30 seconds, and so were other people. It's the scene right after he downs one of the ships and is standing next to Thor looking at it... ^_^
one of the best scenes in the movie.
__________________
Learned that the EvAv community... hates EVERYTHING!
SaintBlitzkrieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:19 AM   #65
SaintBlitzkrieg
On Hiatus For Awhile
 
SaintBlitzkrieg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: WI
Posts: 5,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caerim View Post
uhhh Blackzc isn't saying *you* shouldn't go to the movie, he's saying *he's* not going to see the movie. He's respecting his own beliefs and not impinging on anyone else's.

Avengers was great. The two extra scenes are worth it (first one made me go ooooh, the second one made me laugh). Hulk stole the scene and everyone got to do something cool except for Agent Robin Sparkles.
Its just easier to say "im not planning on seeing this movie". Instead he took it a step further by adding a heated topic of religion in it. He then put it out there that he pretty much dislikes people who dont believe in his god.

I for one, believe in science, and therefore dont think there is a god. Could there be one, sure, there could, but science says that its not likely. So in a way he says that he dislikes me (I dont really care, but still the fact remains that he is crossing lines) He brought this on himself. This is why you dont talk about religion or politics. You just dont. Instead he crossed that line.
__________________
Learned that the EvAv community... hates EVERYTHING!
SaintBlitzkrieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:38 AM   #66
Whimbrel
Subhuman
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,476
I was a huge Avengers comic book fan in the 70's and 80's. I never got that into the stand alone mags for Captain America, Thor, or The Hulk, but I found the Avengers to be really entertaining. The characters like Jocasta and Vision and the drama with Pym made it one of my absolute favorite comics along with Iron Man and Daredevil.

Having said that, I saw the movie yesterday with my wife and kids and they all loved it without ever having read a single comic at all, let alone without having grown up deeply loving the Avengers. I had a great time in the film with only two minor complaints. I wish Hawkeye had an actual costume, although that would have been a bit of a stretch, but I thought it minimized his heroness. My only other complaint was that the director's outspoken athiesm and corrupt hollywood money grabbing movie really destroyed all of my religious beliefs and ability to think for myself.
Whimbrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:46 AM   #67
Anenome
Autarchist
 
Anenome's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Recursion City
Posts: 42,223
Blog Entries: 59
Quote:
I for one, believe in science, and therefore dont think there is a god. Could there be one, sure, there could, but science says that its not likely.
Remember when science (including Einstein!) believed the universe was without beginning, eternal, and were forced by the evidence to conclude the universe had a beginning, which corresponded with theistic statements?

That was hilarious.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by VenomUSMC View Post
I wonder if there would be enough digital storage space in the world if someone tried to digitize your ego -- I'm guessing no.
Anenome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:42 AM   #68
vallor
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 3,972
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSPfreak View Post
I just don't get this overall point of view. Not saying you're wrong on the literature part, but as far as accuracy goes, this was pretty much the most accurate comic-to-film adaption I can remember seeing.
That's a big part of the problem. It was a direct adaptation, nearly frame for frame, of the graphic novel. A graphic novel only a small majority of a small majority actually liked. If comic fans at large didn't like the book, how did Zack Snyder expect that it would pay for itself much less become a 300 style blockbuster with a direct adaptation? I guess it worked with 300 but that was far more action orientated fare with no real characters that required thought on the part of the viewer.

That's one key among most of the successful comic book movies. They tend to draw from the lore in an interesting and accessible way to make a fun movie rather than film the fiction outright.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:52 AM   #69
Reverend Meta
Evil Dead
 
Reverend Meta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 650
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whimbrel View Post
My only other complaint was that the director's outspoken athiesm and corrupt hollywood money grabbing movie really destroyed all of my religious beliefs and ability to think for myself.
Yeah, this part of the movie really bugged me too. Everything else was great!

I actually think I am going to go see it in theaters again with different friends, there was a lot going on and I'm interested to see what stands out during a second viewing.

Also, that fake poster from the box office thread makes me excited thinking about what characters will be added in Avengers 2. Not that I care much for giant ant man Pym or Wasp, but I love War Machine and it would be cool to see others like Vision.
__________________
XBL Reverend M3TA PSN M721G660944 Wii 3604 2156 7172 5966
Reverend Meta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:04 PM   #70
Anenome
Autarchist
 
Anenome's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Recursion City
Posts: 42,223
Blog Entries: 59
All the hidden messages about atheism embedded in the movie were really grating too :P When the Hulk downs a ship, the dust blows up and forms the word 'there is no god' for a split second. I just about jumped out of my chair :P
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by VenomUSMC View Post
I wonder if there would be enough digital storage space in the world if someone tried to digitize your ego -- I'm guessing no.
Anenome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:36 PM   #71
PSPfreak
Evil Dead
 
PSPfreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 4,956
Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
That's a big part of the problem. It was a direct adaptation, nearly frame for frame, of the graphic novel. A graphic novel only a small majority of a small majority actually liked. If comic fans at large didn't like the book, how did Zack Snyder expect that it would pay for itself much less become a 300 style blockbuster with a direct adaptation? I guess it worked with 300 but that was far more action orientated fare with no real characters that required thought on the part of the viewer.
Quite frankly I think that's the best part of the movie. Instead of dumbing itself down for everyone simply to make money it stayed farily true to itself for the people that could truly appreciate it. And for that Snyder earns a lot of respect from me.

We have enough mindless popcorn flicks. Watchmen didn't need to become that. That's why I respect directors like Richard Kelly so much; he doesn't make movies that only appeal to a minority of people... the intellectuals. God bless him.

Case in point: most people today are idiots.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintBlitzkrieg View Post
I used Metacritic which compiles ALL REVIEW scores
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintBlitzkrieg View Post
I don't believe in reviews.
PSPfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:21 PM   #72
vallor
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 3,972
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSPfreak View Post
Quite frankly I think that's the best part of the movie. Instead of dumbing itself down for everyone simply to make money it stayed farily true to itself for the people that could truly appreciate it.
Faithful adaptation is entirely different than having a good and entertaining movie. Particularly if the source material isn't strong enough to stand on its own when exposed to a broader population. A market that could have easily welcomed a meater comic movie in The Watchmen (as proven by TDK) if it had a more accessible approach.

If all they ever wanted to speak directly to the uber minority that crows on about the comics it would have never gotten the budget to go to the big screen. Straight to DVD at best, made for TV at worst.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:49 PM   #73
Mav
Moderator & Nerd For Life
 
Mav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,544
Blog Entries: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anenome View Post
The Hulk got the biggest laugh of all, in one particular scene. I honestly can't remember laughing for that long in a movie, ever, like, I was laughing for 30 seconds, and so were other people. It's the scene right after he downs one of the ships and is standing next to Thor looking at it... ^_^
Hulk really stole the show. He isn't really in the start of the movie but once he is in, he's in. I think he maybe has like one line of dialogue the entire movie but it's done perfectly. I do love me some Hulk, how I often wish I could just smash shit with unbridled rage..
__________________
EvAv iOS Game Reviews - My regular iOS game reviews
RedShirtArmy.com - Various Gaming Podcasts
Xfire mavgeek
Raptr mavgeek
Twitter @Maverickroll
Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
marvel's the avengers

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:56 PM.