Last post by Suicidal ShiZuru
Today 03:29 AM
9 Replies, 598 Views
» Promotion

Old 04-24-2012, 02:58 PM   #1
Emabulator
iBlood Donor

The Walking Dead - Story Trailer

The Walking Dead is now available on Steam.

Quote:
An untold story set in the world of The Walking Dead follows convicted criminal Lee Everett; a man given a second chance at life in a world gone to hell. With danger around every corner, protecting an orphaned girl named Clementine may offer him redemption in a world of true horror.

Experience events, meet people and visit locations foreshadowing the story of Deputy Sheriff Rick Grimes in this extension of Robert Kirkman's award-winning universe.

A 5 part game of Adventure Horror, where the decisions that you make will have profound and lasting consequences.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 03:24 PM   #2
spdiscus
Evil Dead

I wasn't interested in the game, but the reviews rolling out today are excellent. I've wishlisted it for price tracking.
Old 04-24-2012, 03:27 PM   #3
Earth Djinn
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdiscus View Post
I wasn't interested in the game, but the reviews rolling out today are excellent. I've wishlisted it for price tracking.
I'm in the exact same boat. Figured it just wasn't for me, but the reviews make me willing to grab the first episode some time and see if I like it.
Old 04-24-2012, 04:24 PM   #4
The Radical Cleric
Soul Reaper

"A 5 part game of Adventure Horror, where the decisions that you make will have profound and lasting consequences."

Uh oh, are you sure you want to say that?
The Radical Cleric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 04:52 PM   #5
MasterKwan
Evil Dead

I have it. Have played it some already. It's slow and plodding.

I hate the TV show because all the survivors seem to be morons. There's a bit of that at play here. It's like none of the characters in the game have ever played video games.

I was looking for an experience more like "Left for Dead". This is like "jesus these people are stupid". I've killed 2 walkers in about an hour. I don't have a gun, my character just sort of dropped it. There are more guns than people in the US, I ought to be able to find a gun.
MasterKwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:09 PM   #6
UttiniDaKilrJawa
Evil Dead

not sure I interested in a 5 part adventure game where each part is 20 bucks.
UttiniDaKilrJawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:28 PM   #7
darkwarrior
Evil Dead

Why on Earth would you go into a Walking Dead game by Telltale and be expecting Left 4 Dead? That's a failing on your part, not the games.

I personally loved it, its like a mini Alpha Protocol, you have lots of dialogue options and some big decisions that generally result in at least some people dying. Sadly the practical choice is not necessarily the best one. The story was interesting and I'm really looking forward to the next one after the preview.

What it does need is a skip dialogue button for when you've heard it already.
darkwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:29 PM   #8
darkwarrior
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by UttiniDaKilrJawa View Post
not sure I interested in a 5 part adventure game where each part is 20 bucks.
Each part is 5 bucks.
Old 04-24-2012, 05:47 PM   #9
MasterKwan
Evil Dead

Quote:
Why on Earth would you go into a Walking Dead game by Telltale and be expecting Left 4 Dead? That's a failing on your part, not the games.
Well, I was hoping for something more balanced toward blowing away zombies instead of just hiding from them. Did a mission at a hotel that I enjoyed. It wasn't clear to me if it's possible to screw the mission up. I don't think it was. It's not really a question of fail but, of expectations. It's not a bad game. I just prefer something a little more fast paced.

The most likable character is the little girl, she's like Newt in aliens. Not keen for the rest of them.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:01 PM   #10
darkwarrior
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterKwan View Post
Well, I was hoping for something more balanced toward blowing away zombies instead of just hiding from them. Did a mission at a hotel that I enjoyed. It wasn't clear to me if it's possible to screw the mission up. I don't think it was. It's not really a question of fail but, of expectations. It's not a bad game. I just prefer something a little more fast paced.

The most likable character is the little girl, she's like Newt in aliens. Not keen for the rest of them.
The Walking Dead has never been about that though. There may be parts where they have to kill zombies but for the most part it's about drama, survival and human interaction in a world where you are dependent on each other.

The hotel mission I assume you can fail if you make noise or keep looking too long, though you will likely just get a game over and get eaten.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:25 PM   #11
MasterKwan
Evil Dead

Just finished it. Was a satisfying $5. Looking forward to the next episode. They still seem like a bunch of morons though. It's like all the smart people got eaten early and only the knuckle dragger's remained.

The main character is likable too.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:35 PM   #12
darkwarrior
Evil Dead

I don't see why anyone is an idiot. The people in the show? They're idiots. In the game, they were all effective, there was never a time I was in peril because of someone else except the leaders father who did it deliberately.

Some of the writing early on was a bit weak though. Lee refers to them as "walkers" despite never having met the Rick's group who coin that term, and he had Shawn are very relaxed when they get back to the farm despite what they've been seeing.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:56 PM   #13
VIVIsectVI
Evil Dead

It sure would be sweet if they released it on the Telltale site.
VIVIsectVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:09 PM   #14
Emabulator
iBlood Donor

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVIsectVI View Post
It sure would be sweet if they released it on the Telltale site.
It is surprising they have not released it on their own site yet, even though it is the number one seller on Steam right now.

My wife and I have each purchased several games directly from Telltale.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:49 PM   #15
sai tyrus
Evil Dead

Yeah. they sent you a code for Steam.

Downloading it now. I'll have a walk-through/mini-review of sorts up possibly in a few days!

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve!" - Bilbo Baggins
sai tyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:14 PM   #16
MasterKwan
Evil Dead

Quote:
I don't see why anyone is an idiot.
Hmm should I worry about spoilers? How about this. What did you think of the "fix the radio" mission? Do you think anyone would be that stupid?

Maybe my perspective is different. I have some friends who are borderline preppers so, they're ready for a zombie invasion. They'd know what to do if the world fell apart. They're ready for it.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:22 PM   #17
Mightysack
Peon

I pre-ordered from the TTG website. Logged in this afternoon expecting to be able to download the game and didn't see it available. They eventually sent people steam codes, but looking through the forums there isn't an official announcement thread giving a reason for the delay or an ETA for it's release. I only found out they sent a steam code by sifting through the last few pages of a post with over 1200 replies.

It wouldn't be a big deal if they weren't keeping their customers in the dark and wondering. This was my first time using the TTG website and will also be my last. I'll stick with steam from now on.

Still, I'm looking forward to the game and will give it a go tomorrow.
Mightysack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:27 PM   #18
lockwoodx
Photobomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdiscus View Post
That's exactly what I do with titles I'll pick up down the road too. Good call!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkumaATR View Post
Lock is untouchable though, he's too cool to be targeted, like ever. He's Detroit's Heisenberg!
lockwoodx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 02:55 AM   #19
darkwarrior
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterKwan View Post
Hmm should I worry about spoilers? How about this. What did you think of the "fix the radio" mission? Do you think anyone would be that stupid?

Maybe my perspective is different. I have some friends who are borderline preppers so, they're ready for a zombie invasion. They'd know what to do if the world fell apart. They're ready for it.
Well that's a bit silly but it's her being stupid for the sake of giving you a small puzzle to solve. I thought you meant more stupid decisions, which is what they do in the show a lot. Here, I was pretty much involved and if you don't know me, I will nitpick the hell out of things, so that I'm not doing that means they did a decent, or at least better job than the show's writers.

The radio thing is a bit silly, I can only imagine that puzzle was meant to be a lot harder at the start and they decided the control scheme didn't work or it just wasn't fun.
Old 04-25-2012, 03:02 AM   #20
Azrael
Subscriber

why would you pay for 5 games upfront when their is no guarantee they are going to finish all the titles?

Looks good and i'm interested but holding off for a while
Azrael is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
telltale games, the walking dead