Batman Arkham Origins -...
Last post by divinechaos
Yesterday 08:13 PM
7 Replies, 582 Views

Old 04-23-2012, 11:48 AM   #1
gzsfrk
Punch, brothers, punch!

METAL JESUS ROCKS!: iPad Games - 10 of WIN

Have you heard the rumors that the iPhone 5 is going to be encased within a psuedo-magical shell made of liquid metal? With that, we now have definitive proof that Siri will indeed become mankind's greatest self-inflicted wound to itself, as Apple is beyond all doubt the true progenitor of SkyNet.

But if we are to be dominated by a legion of morphic-metal demigods, at least it would seem that they will be of the benevolent(ish) dictator variety. Or at least that's the impression one might get judging by the seemingly never-ending stream of digital delights passed down to us via our App Store overlords. There's so many delicious diversions, in fact, that it's sometimes easy to get overwhelmed by such an embarassment of mobile gaming riches. Once again, enter our silver savior Metal Jesus to share with us a delectable dectet of iOS titles especially suited for enjoying on teh iPadz.

Cozy up in your Tim Cook snuggie, do 10 "Hail Siri"s, and then check out this week's episode of METAL JESUS ROCKS! to find out which ten are in with a win:

Some great titles listed, but I'm disappointed to not see the fantastic Midway Arcade make the cut. Best $9.99 of my parents money I've ever spent on an iOS app.
gzsfrk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 12:02 PM   #2
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Midway Arcade now supports the iCade also. Which means I may finally break down and buy the iCade.
Old 04-23-2012, 12:04 PM   #3
Metal Jesus
Evil Dead

Here's the list of games I show in this episode, if you happen to be heading to the Apple app store any time soon.

Blot
Bring Me Sandwiches
Treasures of Montezuma 3
Pizza vs Skeletons
Mage Gauntlet
Shogun HD
Draw Something
Blueprint3D HD
Bug Princess 2
Sword & Sworcery EP
Old 04-23-2012, 12:07 PM   #4
gzsfrk
Punch, brothers, punch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
Midway Arcade now supports the iCade also. Which means I may finally break down and buy the iCade.
I got one a few weeks back off ShopGoodwill.com for $54 shipped. Apparently, they also go on clearance at Best Buy every so often for $50. The nice thing about the iCade, it connects via Bluetooth, so any Bluetooth enabled Android tablet can likewise use it (I'm using mine with an Android-modded TouchPad, which fits inside the iCade perfectly and works great with MAME4droid).
Old 04-23-2012, 12:12 PM   #5
vallor
Evil Dead

I really like when you talk iPad games. As you say, there are SOO many good games but it's so hard to find the diamonds through all the dust in the app store so any tips or direction to great games is really helpful.

Have you tried Battleheart out yet? Still my favorite game.

I've also gone back to my board game roots and been playing Catan on my iPad. The new adventure packs seem like they are well worth the money. I wish I could play online but I don't remember a lot multiplayer options.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 12:56 PM   #6
Metal Jesus
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
any tips or direction to great games is really helpful.
I visit http://www.toucharcade.com almost every day. Between their web site and their excellent weekly podcast, you pretty much know what is worth playing.

And speaking of board games, they had the developer of Tigris and Euphrates on there last week...and supposedly it's an excellent board to iPad conversion!

I haven't heard of Battleheart...but I will check it out!
Old 04-23-2012, 01:28 PM   #7
GodFather
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Jesus View Post
I visit http://www.toucharcade.com almost every day. Between their web site and their excellent weekly podcast, you pretty much know what is worth playing.

And speaking of board games, they had the developer of Tigris and Euphrates on there last week...and supposedly it's an excellent board to iPad conversion!

I haven't heard of Battleheart...but I will check it out!
thanks for the tip!
GodFather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 03:11 PM   #8
PacerDawn
Subscriber

Quote:
I bought that game when it was on sale for 99 cents a while back, but I have not played it yet. With all the freebies and 99 cent sales they keep having, I buy more stuff than I have time to play... =(

Midway Arcade is just 99 cents at the moment, so I picked that up for my iCade as well.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:34 PM   #9
Mazzicc
Evil Dead

FYI, Bug Princess will not even run on an iPad 1. It gets to the game start screen and crashes, even after you close out all other apps. Glad I tried the Lite version first
Mazzicc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:37 PM   #10
lockwoodx
Photobomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkumaATR View Post
Lock is untouchable though, he's too cool to be targeted, like ever. He's Detroit's Heisenberg!
lockwoodx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:33 PM   #11
Demo_Boy
Evil Dead

ipad favs for me:

Small World (boardgame conversion)
ticket to ride (same)
Shadow Guardian (Uncharted ripoff)
Ascension Rise of the Godslayer (cardgame)
Kard Kombat (cardgame)
Need for Speed Hot Pursuit
Neuroshima Hex (boardgame)
Civilization Revolution HD
Hero Academy
Fairway Solitaire <-- totally funner than you think
Scribblenauts HD
Death Rally

iphone games still play great on ipad
Draw Race 1 is also totally awesome.
Dark Nebula 1 & 2
Dungeon Raid
Hive *ugly but a good game*
Chromixia

Ill toss a zen puzzle game in there as well for curiosity
Shibuya
Demo_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 12:14 AM   #12
lockwoodx
Photobomber

My buddy was showing off his ipad2 the other day with some running game set in aztek times. You basically go as far as you can collecting coins and jumping over obstacles before you crash or monkeys catch you.

While pretty, his ipad2 was not only cumbersome but hotter than the fucking sun after a few minutes of play and I had to hand it back to him chucking to myself at what a waste of money he made.
Quote:
Lock is untouchable though, he's too cool to be targeted, like ever. He's Detroit's Heisenberg!
Old 04-24-2012, 12:57 AM   #13
Azrael
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockwoodx View Post
My buddy was showing off his ipad2 the other day with some running game set in aztek times. You basically go as far as you can collecting coins and jumping over obstacles before you crash or monkeys catch you.

While pretty, his ipad2 was not only cumbersome but hotter than the fucking sun after a few minutes of play and I had to hand it back to him chucking to myself at what a waste of money he made.
I own a iPad 1 and a iPad 3 and at no time have i felt it come anywhere near being to hot to handle, as a matter of fact its never even become uncomfortable to hold. Haters gonna hate, as a device for use at uni & around the home i have no regrets what so ever
Azrael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 06:32 AM   #14
Metal Jesus
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockwoodx View Post
I own the iPad 2 and play games on it all day long and it never, ever gets hot like how you describe. If your buddy is experiencing that, he should take it back to Apple. They'd swap it out for free and his apps are probably already backed up automatically to iCloud.

As for the game, you were playing the incredibly fun Temple Run. That game ROCKS with the iCade arcade controller.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:03 AM   #15
Nosfaratus_
Dread Lord

Most of tablet games are just to casual...
Nosfaratus_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:30 AM   #16
lockwoodx
Photobomber

Quote:
I own the iPad 2 and play games on it all day long and it never, ever gets hot like how you describe. If your buddy is experiencing that, he should take it back to Apple. They'd swap it out for free and his apps are probably already backed up automatically to iCloud.
I will do that thanks. He's been bugging me about it asking if it's "normal" but I've been too busy to research it for him.
Quote:
Old 04-24-2012, 07:49 AM   #17
Azrael
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosfaratus_ View Post
Agreed, but BG2 is coming to a tablet in the very near future
Azrael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:19 AM   #18
gzsfrk
Punch, brothers, punch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosfaratus_ View Post
iOS & Android games now run the full gamut from casual distraction to serious time sink. Order & Chaos is a surprisingly full-featured MMO that's very similar to what WoW was at launch. There's any number of action adventure games that, other than slightly less impressive visuals and generally lower production values, are nearly on par with mainline console releases such as Uncharted or God of War.

Dunegon crawlers, JRPGs, side-scrolling platformers, puzzle adventures..... iOS and Android titles are no longer restricted to just being a rabble of 99c Angry Birds clones. There's no shortage of games with serious depth and longevity to them, although obviously the deeper games get lost amongst the trash-ware in terms of sheer volume. That's just another reason why it's so nice having someone like MJ telling us what we should be buying every couple months.
Old 04-24-2012, 03:09 PM   #19
Mazzicc
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazzicc View Post
FYI, Bug Princess will not even run on an iPad 1. It gets to the game start screen and crashes, even after you close out all other apps. Glad I tried the Lite version first
Followup: it *does* work on the iPhone 4S.

Other games I like, some have been mentioned:
Dungeon Raid
Bookworm
Stormbirds Survival
TripleTown
Siege Hero
Trainyard
Babo Crash (from our very own DemoBoy, if I recall right)
Auditorium

I'm looking for more of the board-game types like Smallworld and Ticket to Ride now that I have an iPad, especially going to Europe soon, where I'll be spending a lot of time on trains with a friend. I *really* like a lite version of a game to try first before I buy, especially for games more than about $2. (something to keep in mind for aspiring developers, there are a lot of people I know who won't pay more than about that without a demo first)

In general, if you want some useful apps, I love that Dropbox and SugarSync both allow me to access documents anywhere, as well as CloudReader for pdfs and cbr/z archives. Goodnotes is a great app for turning your iPad into a writing notebook. I recently found Discover, which allows you to read Wikipedia like a magazine. Epic Tune is a nice phone guitar and bass tuner, which is handy too, as well as a metronome which is helpful as I'm still learning guitar.

I've had an iOS device for almost 3 years now, and it never ceases to amaze me how often "theres an app for that" is true. I worked as an embedded programmer and now with several tech entrepreneurs and business people, and just about every idea I've ever seen conceived for a mobile app already exists out there. If you ever think "it'd be cool if there was an app that did ____", go look. There probably is.
Mazzicc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 03:48 PM   #20
vallor
Evil Dead

Splashtop is also an excellent app. It will let you remote into your computer like a thin client. I used this to do crafting from work in The Old Republic before I stopped playing

I also like "Air Video". It converts movies into an iTunes playable format. Your PC acts as a server with the client on the iPad. You just find the MKV or whatever format you have the movie on in your computer and queue it up for conversion. After the conversion you can automatically add to iTunes and SHAZAM, there it is.

It converts just about any format, which is why I like using it above something like HandBrake.

NOTE: splashtop is not multimon capable.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
apple, ios, ipad, metal jesus, metal jesus rocks, mobile gaming, video