Last post by Capt_Thad
Today 04:10 PM
23 Replies, 1,041 Views
» Promotion

Old 04-21-2012, 08:31 PM   #1
randir14
Subscriber

Gabe Newell's Thoughts on Origin

Valve Software's managing director Gabe Newell has shared some of his thoughts on EA's Origin service.

Quote:
EA's Origin digital store still has a long way to go before it can boast that it properly satisfies its customers, according to Gabe Newell, boss of of competitor and industry leader Steam.

Speaking in a new interview on the Seven Day Cooldown podcast, Newell offered a candid response when questioned on what he thought of EA's platform.

"They have a lot of work to do to get to where they need to be and where I as a customer would want them to be," he said.

He was then asked if he thought Origin is currently doing anything particularly well.

"Err... Err..." he replied, followed by an uncomfortable pause.

"I don't want to dodge the question - I don't think they're doing anything super-well yet.
Read more at Eurogamer
randir14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 08:41 PM   #2
Anenome
Autarchist

The Origin store sucks balls (yes, I've been forced to use it to DL the ME3 demo) :\

It's great to see a 'smaller' company like Valve make EA look like a bunch of hacks.
Anenome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 08:43 PM   #3
sai tyrus
Evil Dead

Yeah, it's no Steam.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve!" - Bilbo Baggins
sai tyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 08:44 PM   #4
lockwoodx
Photobomber

Gabe's been busy this week. Just wait till you see what I submitted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkumaATR View Post
Lock is untouchable though, he's too cool to be targeted, like ever. He's Detroit's Heisenberg!
lockwoodx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 09:51 PM   #5
Azriel77
Evil Dead

Origin sucks, The fact that EA announced that EVERY new game will have multiplayer with madatory internet connection to play singleplayer games just convinced me to finally stop buying EA games. It isn't like the last games they have been releasing have been that great (yes, looking at you EAware). What is sad is that EA has shown that they WILL turn off the servers for their games, which means that $60+ game you bought will most likely not work after a year. At least EA is helping me save money.
Azriel77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 10:47 PM   #6
VenomUSMC
Evil Dead

While their store is pretty lackluster, I have had no problem with Origin and playing BF3.

Of course it seems EA followed the same initial strategy of Valve... force users to use their service through the trojan horse of a popular game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anenome
It [DDoS] may be illegal, but should it be? Where's the actual damage?
VenomUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 10:49 PM   #7
Anenome
Autarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenomUSMC View Post
Of course it seems EA followed the same initial strategy of Valve... force users to use their service through the trojan horse of a popular game.
Didn't work with me. No one's a bigger ME fan than I, yet I have thus far refused to buy it :\ Especially after they screwed us with the ending simply to make more money. Damn them!

BOYCOTT EA! BOYCOTT EA!
Anenome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 10:53 PM   #8
VenomUSMC
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anenome View Post
Didn't work with me. No one's a bigger ME fan than I, yet I have thus far refused to buy it :\ Especially after they screwed us with the ending simply to make more money. Damn them!

BOYCOTT EA! BOYCOTT EA!
haha well it may not have worked on you but it's certainly been installed on quite a few systems due to BF3.

What they should do is release a popular title that requires Origin and is free.. although obviously I have no clue if they could afford this model or make it worth the investment. If they could gather a very large base of "regular" users they could sell more products obviously.

People obviously aren't going to give up Steam for Origin (well they can't) but the vast majority will not boycott EA's games just because it's on Origin.
Quote:
Old 04-21-2012, 10:56 PM   #9
lockwoodx
Photobomber

Quote:
While their store is pretty lackluster, I have had no problem with Origin and playing BF3.

Except where you're grossly wrong is that EA is using a stable of slave labor studios which could be dissolved on a whim to be shoe-horned into their flawed online service where as Valve started with a solid foundation they created themselves, and outside parties came to them because they say the potential of something truly progressive, rather than EA's version of holding a gun to to the heads of their studios saying "use origin or you're out".

Steam has always been 100% voluntary. Origin.... not so much.
Quote:
Lock is untouchable though, he's too cool to be targeted, like ever. He's Detroit's Heisenberg!
Old 04-21-2012, 11:04 PM   #10
VenomUSMC
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockwoodx View Post
This is not true at all....

Quote:
Valve started with a solid foundation they created themselves
Steam was complete shit when it came out. It's 1000x better now obviously but was a total abomination when I first had no choice but to use it if I wanted to play a particular title.

Steam created a solid foundation by being the first to force this type of service and it took them a long time to "fix" steam from it's massive suckage. To be fair the service is good now and obviously has a lot of 3rd party support... as they do own the biggest share of the digital market by far.

Quote:
outside parties came to them because they say the potential of something truly progressive, rather than EA's version of holding a gun to to the heads of their studios saying "use origin or you're out".
Origin follows the same setup as Steam in the sense that they of course control the titles they themselves create. Outside parties came to Steam in because it had a large base and was a digital delivery service which in theory is a cost cutting measure as they don't have to give you anything physically nor do they have to deal with Gamestop or even Best Buy. I have zero idea what kind of $ Valve makes off selling 3rd party titles but obviously they are charging these people.

I do not consider Steam progressive due to the fact they can ban your entire account, they can not allow you to redownload titles, etc. Seems a step back to buying a game and being able to install it "forever".

Quote:
Wrong. Steam was/is about as voluntary as Origin is to play BF3 on the PC.
Quote:
Old 04-21-2012, 11:06 PM   #11
lockwoodx
Photobomber

Ok Johan lol
Quote:
Old 04-21-2012, 11:09 PM   #12
VenomUSMC
Evil Dead

You love Steam.... got it.

However saying Steam has walys been voluntary is either an outright lie or you really really really love you some Gabe Newell and become blinded by that.
Quote:
Old 04-21-2012, 11:18 PM   #13
lockwoodx
Photobomber

Quote:
You love Steam.... got it.

However saying Steam has walys been voluntary is either an outright lie or you really really really love you some Gabe Newell and become blinded by that.
Steam is not mandatory, so of course it's voluntary. Those who provide the best service not only deserve credit where it's due, but maintain their integrity. EA has failed in both those cases. Valve on the other hand has suffered the most miniscule of hiccups and is approaching their decade anniversary with flying colors. If you want to claim fanboism and hyperbole, I'll stand my ground on the facts that there is no better digital service in the industry who continues to be innovate and progressive.

Your pissing upwind in a strong breeze my friend, and careful not to be too venomous or some tween is going to beg you to make her "sparkle" with it.
Quote:
Old 04-22-2012, 12:01 AM   #14
VenomUSMC
Evil Dead

Quote:
Steam is not mandatory, so of course it's voluntary.
So you're forced to use Origin? No you are not. Unless you want to play certain games on the PC... just like Valve does.

Quote:
Those who provide the best service not only deserve credit where it's due, but maintain their integrity. EA has failed in both those cases. Valve on the other hand has suffered the most miniscule of hiccups and is approaching their decade anniversary with flying colors.
Steam may have very small problems now but when it launched it was terrible.

Quote:
If you want to claim fanboism and hyperbole, I'll stand my ground on the facts that there is no better digital service in the industry who continues to be innovate and progressive.
Progressive yes for the people selling you the products... not so much the customer. You are signing away "rights" that we have all taken for granted. Now I have not seen where Steam has abused people however one only needs to read the terms to realize how much "power' they now have over the customer and you no longer own the product.

Also I'd argue that GOG is better as I believe they claim to be 100% DRM free. Now do they have the library steam has? No.
Quote:
Old 04-22-2012, 01:36 AM   #15
Rommel
International Playboy

Steam was awful when it started as a tail to CS: Source. It did absolutely nothing except steal background resources. Origin can get better, once they make a unifying client and copy steam in every way.
Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 03:51 AM   #16
Skunk
Evil Dead

I only ever installed Steam because I wanted to play Half-Life 2.

I really didn't like it at the time, mostly for the reasons mentioned above. It got better. There are things I would like to see changed, but overall I can tolerate it.

I only ever installed Origin because I wanted to play Battlefield 3.
Skunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 03:52 AM   #17
Wizzkidd
Subscriber

For me the worst thing about Origin is that when I buy a game, I have no idea when I'll be able to download it. Could be 2 hours, or 48. Steam is instant. That alone makes me avoid using Origin because half the time I buy a digital game its due to impulse, and with Origin my impulse buy is a waste.

US Army Vet, and proud of it.
Wizzkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 07:09 AM   #18
sai tyrus
Evil Dead

Quote:
haha well it may not have worked on you but it's certainly been installed on quite a few systems due to BF3.

What they should do is release a popular title that requires Origin and is free.. although obviously I have no clue if they could afford this model or make it worth the investment. If they could gather a very large base of "regular" users they could sell more products obviously.

People obviously aren't going to give up Steam for Origin (well they can't) but the vast majority will not boycott EA's games just because it's on Origin.
What would be interesting is if they made BF3 free. I wonder what the development costs are? But you can't tell me they aren't making cash through server rentals (on every platform now), and with each subsequent DLC pack, which most people buy. They have ads for their other games, why not make it a piece of shit like XBL and choke it up with ads for axe and such?

I think they could do this. At launch? Dunno. But imagine if someone made a triple A title and released it for free. Man, that'd be crazy.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve!" - Bilbo Baggins
Old 04-22-2012, 07:10 AM   #19
sai tyrus
Evil Dead

... reflecting more on my own statement, I thought of Hawken. Not necessarily a triple A title, but it looks pretty close to me!

Old 04-22-2012, 07:13 AM   #20
sai tyrus
Evil Dead

Quote:
Ok Johan lol
Johan would start insulting you as he made his points. At this point of the thread, I see no such evidence.

Tags
electronic arts, gabe newell, origin, valve