Last post by Rommel
Today 02:40 PM
11 Replies, 979 Views
» Promotion

Old 03-26-2012, 07:01 AM   #1
Emabulator
iBlood Donor

FTL Heading to Steam

The FTL team has signed a deal with Valve to bring their "spaceship strategy roguelike-like" game to Steam. This comes on the heels of a successful Kickstarter, which has five days remaining if you'd like to get in on the ground floor. In addition, they have released a new pre-beta gameplay trailer.

Quote:
Big news! We officially signed a deal with Valve; meaning both the beta and final game will be available through Steam! Everyone who pre-orders the game through Kickstarter can receive a Steam key in addition to the DRM free version when it's released. This also means that to take part in the beta you will need a free Steam account. So head over to the Kickstarter if you're interested in preordering or reserving access to the beta in May.

If you already signed up for the beta but are unable/unwilling to test it through Steam, we apologize... but you still have a week to change your pledge.
Click on the headline to watch the first FTL: Faster than Light trailer.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 07:01 AM   #2
Emabulator
iBlood Donor

Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 07:17 AM   #3
Syl
Evil Dead

Awesome. This game looks fun. Oregon Trail in space.
Syl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 07:36 AM   #4
MrButtons
Reaper

Neat. I'd get this. It kinda reminds me of Flotilla and this other iPhone game that's in the works where you own a ship and micromanage the crew. Looking forward to it.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:12 AM   #5
PacerDawn
Subscriber

Hmm, that seems to be an awfully expensive pre-purchase. $10 and all you get is the game? Plus, there is no guarantee the game will be made or released? I'll need a bit more that just a promise to risk $10. Why isn't EVERY purchase tier in the beta? Every other pre-purchase indie (I've seen) does that. Then, at least you will have gotten something for your money, even if the game never goes final.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:45 AM   #6
Booda
Beam another Blast

I read about FTL in PC Gamer a few months back & it sounded really cool. I guess I missed the part about this being a Kickstarter project so I headed over to the site & dropped some cash on it.
Booda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 08:57 AM   #7
rubbishfoo
Evil Dead

That looks like they crossed rogue with buck rodgers countdown to doomsday combat and threw in a little bit of the sims management.

Might be pretty damn cool.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:18 AM   #8
Vesuvius
Lord

@PacerDawn-

if $10 seems awfully expensive for a fully game with a unique concept, which has already been shown at game events and received pre-release accolades from the IGF, and which just had a VERY successful demo event through OnLive at one point being the 2nd most played game on the entire Onlive service........

If $10 seems expensive for a full game like that, then you have pretty warped expectations. Even if you personally have no budget, that is a MINISCULE amount to ask for a game.

I'd hardly say it's a risk. It's in a very playable state, the release date is not very far off (August), and- as said- there's already been playable demos out at conferences and through the limited engagement with OnLive. Caveat Emptor and all, but this one isn't much of a risk to anyone who's researched the development or seen the rate at which new content is coming out.
Vesuvius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:21 AM   #9
Vesuvius
Lord

oh man, serves me right to hit enter only to see the typo.

*full game, not fully.
Vesuvius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:39 AM   #10
ElektroDragon
Panzermensch!

And here I thought you were talking about the developer of the original Dungeon Master, FTL Games. The first developer logo to ever grace my computer screen back when I first turned on my Amiga in the 80s.
Old 03-26-2012, 11:56 AM   #11
PacerDawn
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesuvius View Post
@PacerDawn-

if $10 seems awfully expensive for a fully game with a unique concept, which has already been shown at game events and received pre-release accolades from the IGF, and which just had a VERY successful demo event through OnLive at one point being the 2nd most played game on the entire Onlive service........

If $10 seems expensive for a full game like that, then you have pretty warped expectations. Even if you personally have no budget, that is a MINISCULE amount to ask for a game.

I'd hardly say it's a risk. It's in a very playable state, the release date is not very far off (August), and- as said- there's already been playable demos out at conferences and through the limited engagement with OnLive. Caveat Emptor and all, but this one isn't much of a risk to anyone who's researched the development or seen the rate at which new content is coming out.
I'm glad you feel it's worth it. I'm sure they are more glad. I'm not going to stop you from throwing your money at them, I'm just not going to do the same with mine. If it really is that good, then maybe I'll pay full price for it when it comes out, which benefits them even MORE than if I paid for it now (since it will probably be more expensive).

But right now, compared to how other Indie Devs are doing it, their method is a little pricy, so I'm just going to wait and see.
Old 03-26-2012, 12:54 PM   #12
Rommel
International Playboy

The preview write-up we saw a few months back made the game look very promising.
Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 06:10 PM   #13
dirtbag
野郎

Just take my money, please!

http://diplodan.wordpress.com/
dirtbag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
faster than light, ftl