Last post by brandonjclark
Yesterday 10:20 PM
2 Replies, 482 Views
» Promotion

Old 03-06-2012, 09:49 AM   #1
gojira
Evil Dead

Lulz Ringleader Turns on Fellow Members

Associated Press is reporting that six Lulz hackers have been busted by authorities.

Quote:
Five people were charged in court papers unsealed in federal court in New York, and authorities revealed that a sixth person, Hector Xavier Monsegur of New York, has pleaded guilty.

Monsegur was portrayed in court papers as the ringleader, a legendary figure known in the hacking underworld as "Sabu." Authorities said he formed an elite hacking organization last May and named it "Lulz Security" or "LulzSec." ''Lulz" is Internet slang that can be interpreted as "laughs," ''humor" or "amusement."
Apparently this guy Monsegur was the ringleader. He turned informant for the FBI and helped to collar his fellow Lulzers.
gojira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:09 AM   #2
mrbrick
Evil Dead

So he was caught last June. Thats a long time ago.

Whats interesting is that there are a # of people who figured out almost right away that he was caught. He was offering up money to people for hacking jobs- which is red flags right away.

Im surprised they got 6.
mrbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:46 AM   #3
ElektroDragon
Panzermensch!

The ringleader was on welfare. He had to be turncoat and work with the goverment or he's lose his government aid! Ha! Don't you love this entitlement society that breeds losers?
Old 03-06-2012, 10:59 AM   #4
Rommel
International Playboy

So that whole "Declaring war on the US government thing." how did that go?
Rommel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:28 AM   #5
LoTECH
Evil Dead

He should expect a brutal retaliation for his deeds. Nobody likes a snitch.

Consider his WOW account hacked
Old 03-06-2012, 11:31 AM   #6
ElektroDragon
Panzermensch!

WOW account hacked? Dude, Uncle Sam is not gonna allow this guy to TOUCH a computer until we'll all using solar powered OLED tablets with nanotech circuits.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:42 AM   #7
Anenome
Autarchist

Wow, not only did they use him to expose the others, they also now have exposed his identity to the press? That's pretty cold. All these guys are targets now. Not that he doesn't deserve it :P

The safest way to play is to assume your identity is know. Even these people trying to hide themselves can't do it with much more knowledge, supposedly anyway.
Anenome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:57 AM   #8
lockwoodx
Photobomber

another reason why the government can't be trusted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkumaATR View Post
Lock is untouchable though, he's too cool to be targeted, like ever. He's Detroit's Heisenberg!
lockwoodx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:26 PM   #9
That Guy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElektroDragon View Post
The ringleader was on welfare. He had to be turncoat and work with the goverment or he's lose his government aid! Ha! Don't you love this entitlement society that breeds losers?
Was going to ask how someone on goverment aid could afford computer hardware and internet access, but then realized it was a stupid question.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:28 PM   #10
Ravenus
Subscriber

Yea, exactly! These dirtbags sit at home playing games and such just living a nice cushy life and then the government wonders why they are so in debt. My girlfriend's Ex literally does this. He isn't disabled in any way other than he says, he has a phobia of being in public. So he gets aid to live a nicer life than we do working full-time. He has all the latest games, etc, bought a new computer, TV, surround sound etc. Its fucking ridiculous! I can't wait until the government collapses and he shits his pants. Unfortunately, so will the rest of America too since our money will be worthless....
Ravenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 01:58 PM   #11
vallor
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenus View Post
Yea, exactly! These dirtbags sit at home playing games and such just living a nice cushy life and then the government wonders why they are so in debt. My girlfriend's Ex literally does this. He isn't disabled in any way other than he says, he has a phobia of being in public. So he gets aid to live a nicer life than we do working full-time. He has all the latest games, etc, bought a new computer, TV, surround sound etc. Its fucking ridiculous!
Long story short: Not everyone on government assistance is a dirtbag.

Some people definitely abuse the system, but I know two people that receive assistance and legitimately need it. And it isn't as much as you might guess.

Read on for just a few stories from my small circle of friends:

/Start Sad Stories

One is a gal who was in a terrible car accident. She had to have steel rods implanted alongside her spinal column or some shit just so she can sit up straight. Her insurance bailed on her around the ~$250,000 range and she can't work at all. She'll likely never have children and will be all but immobile for the rest of her life.

The government gives her about $1,000 a month which doesn't go far; she gets foodstamps, and medicare. She can't afford to live and may have to go into an assisted living facility (yes, covered by the Government) since her parents are too feeble themselves to take care of her. She's 27.

The other is a guy getting close to 40. He worked his whole life and paid into the system. At 37 he went into the hospital and was near death for nearly a month while the doctors tried to figure out what was wrong. During this time his kidneys sustained so much damage they are basically non-functional. Finally they figured out that the problem was a particularly aggressive version of Wagner's disease. By that time it was a little late; too many long-term problems had evolved while they fumbled around.

He now has 3 four-hour dialysis sessions a week which pretty much keep him from holding a job (having nearly the entire volume of your blood removed and filtered 3x a week pretty much puts a crimp on any sort of activity). He gets $1,200 a month from Social Security and $150 a month from (I think) Medicaid). His $1,200 a month is just above the range of being eligable for foodstamps.

His hospital stay wiped out his savings and retirement and put him nearly $750,000 in debt after insurance. Of course he can't pay this so his credit is shot so even if he could afford to rent an apartment he wouldn't pass the credit check. He does get medicare but has to pay another insurance company to fill any gaps in coverage for the various problems that arise with Wagner's. Even between the two insurance plans there are things don't get covered and simply don't get paid for.

He doesn't have any living family so he lives with friends and rents a room from them. Those arrangements don't always last long; all roommates, no matter how considerate, wear out their welcome eventually especially with married friends who want to expand their family. Once he runs out of friends he'll also have to move into an assisted living facilitity for the rest of his life. When that happens he looses all benefits, so getting the occasional treat like a new computer game is even going to be beyond his means.

I know this because right now *I'm* the friend he's living with.

/End Sad Stories

On topic: I'd be surprised if they actually caught the "ringleader". Maybe they caught a figurehead but, if after 8 - 10 months of this guy being an informant they only nabbed half-a-dozen more people I'd say they didn't get their monies worth.

Hell, mafia informants give up twice that number and often lead to bringing down a Don!
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 05:45 PM   #12
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
Long story short: Not everyone on government assistance is a dirtbag.

Some people definitely abuse the system, but I know two people that receive assistance and legitimately need it. And it isn't as much as you might guess.

Read on for just a few stories from my small circle of friends:

/Start Sad Stories

One is a gal who was in a terrible car accident. She had to have steel rods implanted alongside her spinal column or some shit just so she can sit up straight. Her insurance bailed on her around the ~$250,000 range and she can't work at all. She'll likely never have children and will be all but immobile for the rest of her life.

The government gives her about $1,000 a month which doesn't go far; she gets foodstamps, and medicare. She can't afford to live and may have to go into an assisted living facility (yes, covered by the Government) since her parents are too feeble themselves to take care of her. She's 27.

The other is a guy getting close to 40. He worked his whole life and paid into the system. At 37 he went into the hospital and was near death for nearly a month while the doctors tried to figure out what was wrong. During this time his kidneys sustained so much damage they are basically non-functional. Finally they figured out that the problem was a particularly aggressive version of Wagner's disease. By that time it was a little late; too many long-term problems had evolved while they fumbled around.

He now has 3 four-hour dialysis sessions a week which pretty much keep him from holding a job (having nearly the entire volume of your blood removed and filtered 3x a week pretty much puts a crimp on any sort of activity). He gets $1,200 a month from Social Security and $150 a month from (I think) Medicaid). His $1,200 a month is just above the range of being eligable for foodstamps.

His hospital stay wiped out his savings and retirement and put him nearly $750,000 in debt after insurance. Of course he can't pay this so his credit is shot so even if he could afford to rent an apartment he wouldn't pass the credit check. He does get medicare but has to pay another insurance company to fill any gaps in coverage for the various problems that arise with Wagner's. Even between the two insurance plans there are things don't get covered and simply don't get paid for.

He doesn't have any living family so he lives with friends and rents a room from them. Those arrangements don't always last long; all roommates, no matter how considerate, wear out their welcome eventually especially with married friends who want to expand their family. Once he runs out of friends he'll also have to move into an assisted living facilitity for the rest of his life. When that happens he looses all benefits, so getting the occasional treat like a new computer game is even going to be beyond his means.

I know this because right now *I'm* the friend he's living with.

/End Sad Stories

On topic: I'd be surprised if they actually caught the "ringleader". Maybe they caught a figurehead but, if after 8 - 10 months of this guy being an informant they only nabbed half-a-dozen more people I'd say they didn't get their monies worth.

Hell, mafia informants give up twice that number and often lead to bringing down a Don!
Great stories. I know a few people myself who work or have worked really hard and now can't, and have continued to struggle to buy food, and maintain rent. Sure, there are people who are purely lazy, and abuse the system, but dismissing the entirety of the poor as lazy is extremist, and far off-base.

If I can spring a few pennies of tax dollars to help, I'd continue to sign up to that every time.

You know what I really enjoy though? Republicans who campaign on the notion that we need to remove all safety nets for the poor, because they are all lazy, and need to get a job. (ask Newt Gingrich). They also campaign on the moral virtues of their faith. Particularly Christianity. I guess Jesus wouldn't be allowed in the Republican party. He'd be laughed away as an extreme left wing liberal. He said to give ALL of your excess wealth to the poor. To look after the poor. In fact, the only time Jesus raged out, was when he was flipping tables because of greed.

Easy to be high-and-mighty about your faith and moral conviction, but write the poor off as lazy, so you don't have to feel too bad about not wanting to assist in any way.

I'd also offer this: We live in a society. There are hundreds of things that your tax dollars may go to that you don't agree with. Helping the poor is the first on the chopping block? Really? Wow. Fund to keep a standing army in every country for the "security of our country", but don't help our citizens directly. What are we defending then?

Here's a relatively simple process that could help fix some of the system of government funded assistance: Tighter screening process. The end. Don't propose wacky stuff like drug testing the poor (see Florida), just create a tighter evaluation process. You can fund it through all of the money you save from eliminating people capable of working.
PatrickRes9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 06:03 PM   #13
MrButtons
Reaper

Looks like the lulz on him...badum-tch!
Old 03-06-2012, 06:08 PM   #14
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrButtons View Post
Looks like the lulz on him...badum-tch!
buahaha
PatrickRes9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 06:11 PM   #15
Agnostic Pope
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockwoodx View Post
another reason why the government can't be trusted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Jesus View Post
You sir, are my fucking hero!
Agnostic Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:22 PM   #16
drakkarim
Evil Dead

Location: in a van under the I-80 bridge, down by the missouri river
Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
Long story short....
this is exactly why we need republicans in power, cuz they care about the little guy like this... oh wait, i'm rich biotch! the little guys can go frack themselves and their medical needs, my investment taxes are astronomical! how can i live on mere millions!
drakkarim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:59 PM   #17
blackzc
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by drakkarim View Post
this is exactly why we need republicans in power, cuz they care about the little guy like this... oh wait, i'm rich biotch! the little guys can go frack themselves and their medical needs, my investment taxes are astronomical! how can i live on mere millions!

What is this 1998? Democrats have more money and give less of it away. That myth has been debunked for a bit now.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:13 PM   #18
Anenome
Autarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackzc View Post
What is this 1998? Democrats have more money and give less of it away. That myth has been debunked for a bit now.
Don't burst his bubble, it'll be so much more shocking when he discovers it for himself :P
Anenome is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bust, failboat, fbi, lulz, monsegur