Last post by Syl
Today 01:39 AM
4 Replies, 361 Views
» Promotion

Old 02-24-2012, 05:23 PM   #1
randir14
Subscriber

Valve Toys Coming This Summer

PC Gamer has news that NECA is creating a line of toys based on Valve's games. They include Team Fortress 2 action figures, a life size Portal gun, a Gordon Freeman figure, and more. The first wave of toys is scheduled to be released this summer.

Quote:
We’ve seen some impressive fan-made Portal guns in the past, but they’ve been rare, costly one-off projects. Valve are giving us the chance to get hold of our own Aperture Science Handheld Portal Devices without having to burn ourselves horribly putting together an injection mould. Joystiq mention that, at Valve’s request, toy manufacturers, NECA have put together a life-sized Portal gun. It’ll hit the shops this summer with a $130 price tag attached.

There will be lights and those lights will change colour, but will it make the “pwung” noise? There’s only one way to find out, and that’s to buy at least five. Perhaps ten. Maybe more. More. MORE.

NECA will also be releasing a line of Left 4 Dead, Team Fortress 2 and Half-Life action figures, a few of which were shown off at the NYC Toy Fair. The Team Fortress 2 wiki has a snap of the new figures, you’ll find that below along with a few shots of that Portal gun. Baggsy the Heavy.
randir14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 06:05 PM   #2
ttoastt
Dread Lord

Gordon will be mine
ttoastt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 06:43 PM   #3
Emabulator
iBlood Donor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttoastt View Post
Gordon will be mine
Same here. Gordon Freeman is the man!
Emabulator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:52 PM   #4
Mav
Moderator & Nerd For Life

Portal Gun is mighty tempting.

Hopefully they will add a G-Man figure to go along with Gordon.

Rise and Shine, Misssssssster Freeman. Rise..and..shine.
Raptr mavgeek
Twitter @Maverickroll
Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:05 PM   #5
Emabulator
iBlood Donor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav View Post
Portal Gun is mighty tempting.

Hopefully they will add a G-Man figure to go along with Gordon.

Rise and Shine, Misssssssster Freeman. Rise..and..shine.
A G-Man would be great.

I'm not into TF2 like I used to be and I don't care at all about L4D.
Emabulator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:52 PM   #6
Anenome
Autarchist

Witch! Witch!
Anenome is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 11:08 PM   #7
Agnostic Pope
Evil Dead

EA did this for ME got shit for it. Valve does it and they get praised. (and they don't even include chopped content)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Jesus View Post
You sir, are my fucking hero!
Agnostic Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 04:04 AM   #8
Jotoco
Evil Dead

Some years ago this would be HUGE.

Now this is going only to be big, because most of these games are "old".

I Would probably buy some TF2 related stuff, though.
Old 02-25-2012, 07:32 AM   #9
HeyRatFans
Dread Lord

Life size headcrab would be pretty sweet. I missed out on the plush headcrabs when they were on sale on the Valve Store, but did manage to bag a companion cube a couple of years ago.

XBL: HeyRatFans
PS3: hey-rat-fans
HeyRatFans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 08:18 AM   #10
MasterKwan
Evil Dead

This is completely stupid. More shit, made by Chinese slave, labor to shovel into the back of the closet. Why would any man collect dolls? Going to add these to your Barbie collection?
MasterKwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 09:16 AM   #11
lockwoodx
Photobomber

Most of the people who grew up with those games are now old enough to collect and appreciate the toys so I can see this as doing pretty well.

If there wasn't a demand for them, they wouldn't exist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkumaATR View Post
Lock is untouchable though, he's too cool to be targeted, like ever. He's Detroit's Heisenberg!
lockwoodx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 09:19 AM   #12
lockwoodx
Photobomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic Pope View Post
EA did this for ME got shit for it. Valve does it and they get praised. (and they don't even include chopped content)
One of TF2's biggest strengths is humor, and those larger plush dolls could easily hide a voice but that spits out one liners when you squeeze their hand.

Mass Effects biggest strength is $DLC and it's ability to piss gamers off so they made sure to include some with the those makerbot rejects we saw offered.
Quote:
Lock is untouchable though, he's too cool to be targeted, like ever. He's Detroit's Heisenberg!
Old 02-25-2012, 11:12 AM   #13
Rommel
International Playboy

Those plush seem to have vinyl embellishments. That material is extremely difficult to get through toy testing--it is often saturated with lead. Good for Valve for (A) Finding a source that could get clean materials or (B) Getting around US regulation by properly age grading the goods. If its A, I hope to find their source for my own nefarious usage.
Rommel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 12:18 PM   #14
Suicidal ShiZuru
Mutual Hatred

I'm all for the action figures, props and vinyls but plushies cross a line. I guess a lot of those ultra sexy gamer gurls like that kind of thing. The Portal gun looks a little cheap which is disappointing but hopefully more images come out soon. I'd take a headcrab of some sort and other Half-Life related pieces. As far as Freeman is concerned I always wished someone would release a sculpture of the HEV suit inside it's chamber of similar size to those.
Old 02-25-2012, 12:49 PM   #15
divinechaos
Plays Rock Band naked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicidal ShiZuru View Post
I'm all for the action figures, props and vinyls but plushies cross a line. I guess a lot of those ultra sexy gamer gurls like that kind of thing. The Portal gun looks a little cheap which is disappointing but hopefully more images come out soon. I'd take a headcrab of some sort and other Half-Life related pieces. As far as Freeman is concerned I always wished someone would release a sculpture of the HEV suit inside it's chamber of similar size to those.
I know that as a guy its weird for me to have toys and plushies but I fucking love them. I grew up playing with toys all the time, I had a room full of them back then, and I'm sad that I got rid of them. There were some real gems in there too, like Small Soldiers, vintage Star Wars toys and SEGA merchandise. To this day I still buy things that remind me of my childhood and I hope to pass them on to my kids.

And, dude, we play video games. Even though I see it as more than a hobby, there are still people in the world who think it's childish and immature to spend time playing them. So who is to tell?
Old 02-25-2012, 12:55 PM   #16
lockwoodx
Photobomber

These plushies were a smash hit with kids and go for big bucks on ebay today. That's why I have 2 in my vault.
Quote:
Old 02-25-2012, 02:02 PM   #17
MasterKwan
Evil Dead

I collect some weird stuff too but, none of them are toys. I've got an intake manifold for a subaru WRX (with upgraded injectors) and STI aluminum control arms. I have a complete E36 M3 rear suspension including LSD diff with new bushings and control arms. I have a fairly complete collection of automotive manuals for a variety of cars. Bunch of computer stuff, game consoles and the like. No dolls though.

I'm just imagining you guys, years from now showing your kids your doll collection. Something just seems wrong with that picture. Not "hey, son of mine, help me change the oil in the family truckster" but, instead "can you help me dress up Gordon Freeman...".

Hehe.
Old 02-25-2012, 02:13 PM   #18
divinechaos
Plays Rock Band naked

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterKwan View Post
I collect some weird stuff too but, none of them are toys. I've got an intake manifold for a subaru WRX (with upgraded injectors) and STI aluminum control arms. I have a complete E36 M3 rear suspension including LSD diff with new bushings and control arms. I have a fairly complete collection of automotive manuals for a variety of cars. Bunch of computer stuff, game consoles and the like. No dolls though.

I'm just imagining you guys, years from now showing your kids your doll collection. Something just seems wrong with that picture. Not "hey, son of mine, help me change the oil in the family truckster" but, instead "can you help me dress up Gordon Freeman...".

Hehe.
My dad bought me a NES and played with me whenever he had time. He also taught me how to play guitar and draw but never to change oil.

What I see wrong with your picture is that you assumed that, I at least, WANT to have a boy. I don't. Well, I don't really care, as long as I can share with my kid things that meant a lot to me when I was growing up. If I have a son and he thinks that it's weird to play with my Power Rangers, Pokemon and Star Wars toys then I guess I'll bring this thread back to life 10 years from now and let ya know.
Old 02-25-2012, 02:17 PM   #19
divinechaos
Plays Rock Band naked

And again, it's all subjective. I would never spend money on building a fast car when the speed limit in VA is 55, car laws are strict and cops are dicks. If that's what you want your kid to be into then I respect that but just don't make it into a "you're not a man if your kid doesn't know about cars" argument.
Old 02-25-2012, 03:09 PM   #20
MasterKwan
Evil Dead

VA is Mecca for car people. Summit point, VIR, New Jersey motor sports park, Beaverun in PA. Anywhere in VA, you're no more than 3 hours away from a real race track. Honestly though, that's neither here nor there. Can most of you fix a car? I know some of you can but, what about the doll collectors? In the continuum of manly pursuits, there are plenty of things you can do to maintain your man cred which don't have to be toy related.

You're missing my point though. What I'm suggesting is that as men, you should be thinking about things a little more manly than toys. Playing Guitar for example, playing video games, working on cars, swinging a hammer and learning how to do plumbing. Get some survival skills under your belt. Learn how to handle a real gun and go shooting once a month.

I'm really just giving you a hard time, I don't really care if you play with dolls nor would I hold it against my friends if they played with dolls. I just think we've come to an odd place in history when men think it's fine to collect toys.

Tags
neca, valve