Defense Grid 2 - PAX...
Last post by Azrael
Today 02:56 AM
14 Replies, 1,019 Views

Old 02-20-2012, 08:00 AM   #1
Emabulator
iBlood Donor

Alan Wake PC Breaks Even in 2 Days

VG247 has word that Remedy is quite pleased with the PC version of Alan Wake after making its money back within 2 days of releasing it on Steam.

Quote:
The keyboard and mouse version, which launched on Thursday, comes with multiple new features such as 3D and multi-screen, plus the inclusion of XBL DLC The Signal and The Writer.

“We are very happy with the sales and hitting #1 on Steam at launch was nothing short of amazing,” said Remedy’s Aki Järvilehto on its forums.

“We recouped our development and marketing expenses during the first 48 hours. And yes, we’re certainly very excited about PC.”
Thanks, liquid sleep.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:04 AM   #2
gawaintheblind
Evil Dead

Maybe next time you'll release for PC first then. Asshats.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:33 AM   #3
Mantooth
Evil Dead

From the Nvidia and Steam forums, it looks like the 3D support is broken. If you are going to pimp your new PC specific features at least get your shit straight. Many of those Steam sales went to people expecting 3D support that are now stuck with a game that is unplayable in 3D.

Quote:
Hi All

We are aware of the 3D Vision issues with Alan Wake. To be honest, we dont have a rating for the game and did not message the title is being amazing in 3D.

Our next major driver release will rate the game Poor because of the issues in it.

We are hopeful the developer will address the issues in the game.

Andrew Fear
3D Vision product manager
NVIDIA Corporation
Old 02-20-2012, 08:35 AM   #4
DeluxE
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by gawaintheblind View Post
I'm sure the money they recouped was the cost of porting and advertising the PC version.

I doubt very greatly that they made enough to cover actual development and initial advertising costs.

Sorry, this was an expensive game, one that Remedy was working on for several years. For them to recoup those costs, they would have to sell millions.

It's nice to pretend though.
DeluxE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:42 AM   #5
LoTECH
Evil Dead

I'm sure some of the millions this game cost in development hell, was recouped by the large check Microsoft wrote in order to keep it an Xbox exclusive.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:48 AM   #6
Orphiuchus
Evil Dead

Now I want the game that Alan Wake was supposed to be when it was announced!
Old 02-20-2012, 10:52 AM   #7
Syl
Evil Dead

Good for them.

Come on summer steam sale. =D
Syl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 11:29 AM   #8
Hellstorm
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orphiuchus View Post
Now I want the game that Alan Wake was supposed to be when it was announced!
Here you go.
Hellstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 12:14 PM   #9
blackzc
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxE View Post
I'm sure the money they recouped was the cost of porting and advertising the PC version.

I doubt very greatly that they made enough to cover actual development and initial advertising costs.

Sorry, this was an expensive game, one that Remedy was working on for several years. For them to recoup those costs, they would have to sell millions.

It's nice to pretend though.
Your probably right but there was no marketing money to bring it to steam was there?
Old 02-20-2012, 12:18 PM   #10
Wolfgang
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackzc View Post
Your probably right but there was no marketing money to bring it to steam was there?
Seriously? No marketing money to bring it to steam? They didn't do interviews, advertise on the web, etc... I am sure Valve probably gets some money to make your game the "feature" game of the week or whatever -- just like your grocery store gets money to put items on end caps, etc...

Putting a game on steam still requires marketing -- you have to let people know it is available to buy. People hate marketing -- but if there was no marketing you wouldn't know what was out, etc...
Wolfgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 12:51 PM   #11
Azzy
Cthulian

PC gaming is clearly dead.
Azzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 01:19 PM   #12
excalibur1814
Evil Dead

.... I'll probably buy but what of Transformers Fall of Cybertron? NooOoOooOOoo
excalibur1814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 01:27 PM   #13
Zelos
Zoidberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
PC gaming is clearly dead.
Yeah you been saying that for how many years now?

Why not Zoidberg?
Zelos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 01:55 PM   #14
randir14
Subscriber

Remedy's CEO posted this on their forum:

Quote:
To all the Remedy fans and my fellow gamers!
First of all, apologies, as I don't post here nearly as often as I should! Fortunately, my wonderful colleagues keep this space alive and stay in dialogue with you, the fans (tips hat to Mikki, Markus, Peter Pap, AJ and Co.)

So what brings me here now? Well, I came to work this morning to see and hear about the unbelievable success of the PC version of Alan Wake. WTF!!! It was #1 on Steam this weekend! That’s a big deal. And this time, instead of crawling into the small space in the corner of my office to weep tears of joy (that same space I generally use for weeping over things I can't affect) I instead decided to be a little more productive and say something to you guys, from me and on behalf of my team, about how we feel.

We made it a priority to create the best PC version of the game we possibly could, as opposed to a sloppy port we ourselves would hate to play, and judging by the amount of encouragement and positive feedback that has been pouring in, that’s really paid off! Rest assured that we are still listening to your requests and will maintain efforts to make necessary updates to the build now that it's been released.

So as you well know, just before last weekend we finally managed to release Alan Wake on PC. The response has been quite overwhelming, despite the fact that it took time to get it in the hands of gamers. (Yes, we remember your initial excitement, we remember your petition… and I remember spending time in that same corner mentioned earlier.) Those that have followed us over the 18 years we have been making games will know our heritage in PC and PC gaming. We have always wanted to do a PC version of Alan Wake and with the go-ahead and blessing from Microsoft we started to work hard on creating a version that PC gamers deserve.

So I want to thank our team for all the effort they put into this, I want to thank our partner Nitro Games for development help and doing a lot of the heavy lifting, and I want to thank Microsoft for their support with the original Alan Wake and for their blessing to self-publish this title, which we appreciate a lot. But most of all I'm here to just plain and simply thank all of you. Without you and your continued support we wouldn't be the company we are today, and we wouldn’t be able to come to work every day to create the story-driven experiences we love. This is our job, but entertaining you is our passion!

We're a small company and all this means a lot to us.I speak on behalf of everyone at Remedy when I say that we are very thankful and humbled by your overwhelmingly response.

Cheers guys!
Matias - CEO

P.s oh well, now I went and got myself all emotional! I may just pop over to that corner after all…
randir14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:06 PM   #15
Azzy
Cthulian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelos View Post
Yeah you been saying that for how many years now?
my point exactly.
Azzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:30 PM   #16
Anenome
Autarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by gawaintheblind View Post
Exactly.

Now let's deal with this CEO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remedy CEO
To all the Remedy fans and my fellow gamers!...

So what brings me here now? Well, I came to work this morning to see and hear about the unbelievable success of the PC version of Alan Wake.
Unbelievable? Really? There's about 60 million people with Steam installed. Or do you mean you had so little faith in your own game that you didn't think it would sell? Or do you mean this to be a hype-generating marketing message? Or did you actually believe the people who said piracy meant that no one would buy your PC game?

Quote:
WTF!!! It was #1 on Steam this weekend! That’s a big deal.
Some people might knock speech of this sort as unprofessional for a CEO, but I find it refreshing and conversational and a lot more interesting than the artificially-constrained business-speak most CEOs would've used here.

Quote:
And this time, instead of crawling into the small space in the corner of my office to weep tears of joy (that same space I generally use for weeping over things I can't affect)
Okay, now we're bordering on odd...

Quote:
I instead decided to be a little more productive and say something to you guys, from me and on behalf of my team, about how we feel.
Cool, let's have it.

Quote:
We made it a priority to create the best PC version of the game we possibly could, as opposed to a sloppy port we ourselves would hate to play,
Why do you think we would have expected anything less? You mean, you decided to actually do the bare minimum that would've been acceptable? Gee, thanks for that! The actual BEST PC VERSION would've had a plum, extra content, for those willing to support you on PC so far after initial release.

Quote:
and judging by the amount of encouragement and positive feedback that has been pouring in, that’s really paid off!
More like those who wanted to buy it aren't avoiding it because the word on the street is you actually nativized it for PC, unlike so many other botched PC releases which have historically been avoided. I suppose you deserve some credit for actually creating a bare-minimum acceptable, but it's not a credit to the industry in general that you think this a praise-worthy accomplishment. Anyone who makes a poor PC port is cynically shitting on the industry. Those who make a good PC port are doing what they should've done in the first place.

Quote:
So as you well know, just before last weekend we finally managed to release Alan Wake on PC. The response has been quite overwhelming, despite the fact that it took time to get it in the hands of gamers. (Yes, we remember your initial excitement, we remember your petition… and I remember spending time in that same corner mentioned earlier.)
Probably would've been more enlightening to explain the reason why you thought NOT doing a PC release originally was in your best interest, and how the success of the PC release has opened your eyes to the possibilities.

Quote:
Those that have followed us over the 18 years we have been making games will know our heritage in PC and PC gaming.
A heritage you sold out originally, but why?

Quote:
We have always wanted to do a PC version of Alan Wake and with the go-ahead and blessing from Microsoft we started to work hard on creating a version that PC gamers deserve.
Well and good. Why on earth wouldn't MS want a PC release originally anyway?

Quote:
So I want to thank our team for all the effort they put into this, I want to thank our partner Nitro Games for development help and doing a lot of the heavy lifting, and I want to thank Microsoft for their support with the original Alan Wake and for their blessing to self-publish this title, which we appreciate a lot. But most of all I'm here to just plain and simply thank all of you. Without you and your continued support we wouldn't be the company we are today, and we wouldn’t be able to come to work every day to create the story-driven experiences we love. This is our job, but entertaining you is our passion!

We're a small company and all this means a lot to us.I speak on behalf of everyone at Remedy when I say that we are very thankful and humbled by your overwhelmingly response.

Cheers guys!
Matias - CEO

P.s oh well, now I went and got myself all emotional! I may just pop over to that corner after all…
Meh, this sort of self-deprecating humor falls flat because it's making you, the CEO, seem weak. Weak and emotional. Where's the apology for not believing in PC gamers in the first place with an initial PC release? Where's the promise that future games will see an initial PC release along consoles?

I think he simply left the door open to not doing PC releases in the future.

As for Alan Wake, I'm still ambivalent about the game, but will probably pick it up on sale at some point.
Democracy is the original 51% attack
Anenome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 01:11 AM   #17
Anenome
Autarchist

I think part of the reason I'm not that interested in the game is because of its ridiculous premise, the writer trapped in his own story. That's been done to death.
Democracy is the original 51% attack
Anenome is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alan wake, remedy entertainment