Last post by JazGalaxy
Today 08:19 AM
25 Replies, 1,232 Views
» Promotion

Old 08-12-2006, 12:02 PM   #1
Liquidize105
Evil Dead

Dark Messiah Expanded Demo News

If you still have the recent Dark Messiah demo (or the E3 demo) installed on your system, or whether you're looking to give it a whirl later, GamersHell has a savegame for the demo that supposedly takes it beyond where the demo ends and allows you to go through the cyclops battle.

Also, do the following to enable all weapons and spells:

Quote:
1. Make a shortcut, right click on it and go to properties
2. Then in the target field (right after all the stuff) paste this in: -dev -console +sv_cheats 1 +map e3_l06_l09 +bind n "noclip" +bind [ "impulse 101".
And lastly, here's the minimum system requirements for the demo:

Quote:
Supported OS: Windows® XP
Processor: AMD Athlon™, Pentium® 2.2 GHz (3 GHz recommended)
RAM: 512 MB (1 GB recommended)
Video Card: 128 MB DirectX® 9-compatible video card (256MB recommended)
Sound Card: DirectX 9 compatible sound card
DirectX Version: DirectX 9 or higher
Hard Drive Space: 3 GB free
Peripherals Supported: Windows-compatible mouse and keyboard
Supported Video Cards: NVIDIA® GeForce™ FX/6/7 families, ATI® Radeon™ 9/X families
Thanks to GamersHell for the info.

At roughly twice the requirement of HL2, the demo is very taxing on low-end to midline systems. I only hope the final product is more fine-tuned and optimized.
Liquidize105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 12:09 PM   #2
Varsity
Fine Nonsense

And this is why you can't be lazy about demo builds. Ubi/Arkane thought they could get away with cutting corners by disabling the console (I kid you not), but all that approach has done is expose stuff that shouldn't be exposed and frustrated people who are trying the use the dev interface for other purposes, of which there are many. Lesson learnt: when it comes to demos, the coders need to get in there and start commenting!

Performance is indeed pretty dreadful on my machine. 30FPS max in all but a handful of areas, whereas Ep1 ran like a dream under the same settings. The last month or so is usually when the bulk of optimisation works happens though, so I'm confident the final product will be solid. Not to mention absolutely ace.
Varsity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 12:39 PM   #3
Pugwash
Death Knight

I have just finished playing through the demo a couple of times and was shocked at how little there was for a 1.5g download.

What was there was great though... daggers ftw!
Pugwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 12:52 PM   #4
Mozgus
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidize105
At roughly twice the requirement of HL2, the demo is very taxing on low-end to midline systems. I only hope the final product is more fine-tuned and optimized.
Perhaps they are being honest about the specs? Unlike Valve, who completely lied about their's, and totally fucked up my component choices. I was so hyped about HL2 and built a system that met the recommended specs before it launched, then the game came out, and ran like dogshit for the next 1.5 years, until I had money to upgrade yet again. Thankfully, during that time, I explored and found many other games which looked and ran better then HL2 ever has. So I can thank Valve for that much.
Mozgus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 12:54 PM   #5
F3nyx
Angel/0A

I've been playing the game with a processor and video card that are both below the "minimum" specs. Still can't figure out why the fuck they disabled all resolutions below 1024x768.
F3nyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 01:04 PM   #6
Varsity
Fine Nonsense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozgus
I was so hyped about HL2 and built a system that met the recommended specs before it launched, then the game came out, and ran like dogshit
System issue, the recommended specs (and below in fact) can eat HL2 any day. People have been playing it on goddamn integrated-graphics laptops*!

*Although I will admit, not at 6xAA.
Varsity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 01:12 PM   #7
Majster Wichajster
Evil Dead

I want to play this game but with my computer I'm not going anywhere near it. I of course hope that this game will be a stellar success and continues the M&M franchise.
Majster Wichajster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 01:13 PM   #8
Borys
Thank You, Loki!

It's also the best graphical showcase I've ever seen in a RPG game. Puts Oblivion to shame, but that's a given given (duh) its level-like structure.

Amazing physics, amazing combat, amazing graphics - I hope Bethesda is watching AND learning.

I want *nothing* less from TESV.
Borys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 01:13 PM   #9
DorkOff
Peon

I've found that enabling AA in any form rapes the frame rate. Fraps reports 60 FPS with everything on high (except AA) at 1680x1050, V-Sync enabled. Selecting even 2x AA dips FPS to teens.
beyerdynamic DT770 Pro HannsG 28" LCD
LG Blu-Ray Drive Razer DeathAdder
Saitek Eclipse SteelPad Solo
DorkOff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 01:14 PM   #10
PIPBoy3000
Evil Dead

I played the little "extra" area. It's pretty, and the cyclops model is fairly nice looking. It's obvious they never intended for people to play around in that map. The AI on the cyclops is broken and there's no way to get out of it.

My son loves the game and played through the demo a dozen times. Now I've got him doing chores and earning points so he can buy the game. Don't tell him I probably would have bought it myself.
PIPBoy3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 01:33 PM   #11
bean19
Butt Stallion

So how is this being published? Is it going to release on Steam and in Brick&Mortar stores via Ubisoft?
bean19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 01:54 PM   #12
Qoz
Evil Dead

Quote:
Amazing physics, amazing combat, amazing graphics - I hope Bethesda is watching AND learning.
I see so many compare it too Oblivion which is silly. They only have the RPG elements and the viewpoint in common. Oblivion has huge vista gfx, open ended gameplay and complex classes, while DMOMM is much more linear, with compact lvl design and simple classes.

I will play DHOMM for different reasons than I played Oblivion.

Oblivion is pretty but has some problems with extreme HDR bloom and other things. I think DMOMM has graphical weak sides too. The textures could be more sharp - it's alot of brown. And the game lags a little when physics are activated (same in HL2). Still it looks really fun..
Qoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 01:59 PM   #13
archon
Evil Dead

My system generally isn't considered top of the line, but I ran the demo at max settings at 1280x960 and there was no slowdown at all... It seemed only marginally more taxing than HL2: Episode One, if at all.
archon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 02:12 PM   #14
Somefool
Custom User Title

I can run HL2: Episode One at 1680x1050 with every setting maxed, but this demo DESTROYS me even at 1024x768 with settings cranked down.
Somefool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 02:29 PM   #15
UnderHero5
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somefool
I can run HL2: Episode One at 1680x1050 with every setting maxed, but this demo DESTROYS me even at 1024x768 with settings cranked down.
Gotta be glitching then. My 6800 GT runs this demo fine with everything maxed (except AA and AF) at 1280 x 1024. Ran great... EXCEPT I got a couple spots where the game would nearly freeze from slowdown... literally like 3 FPS for seemingly no reason.
And in different parts on a couple different play throughs. I cured it by quiting and loading a save both times. No idea why it did it. Glitch I suppose.
UnderHero5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 02:47 PM   #16
Suicidal ShiZuru
Mutual Hatred

Its a demo, take every damn thing in it with a grain of salt, especially performance. Too bad my main rig is down for a while or I would try this out.
Old 08-12-2006, 02:59 PM   #17
KarmaGhost
Evil Dead

The demo played excellently on my system... until I added the save game and the dev console to the shortcut. Now it runs like shit. Anybody have any ideas as to why?
Karmaghost
KarmaGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 03:07 PM   #18
Mozgus
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varsity
System issue, the recommended specs (and below in fact) can eat HL2 any day. People have been playing it on goddamn integrated-graphics laptops*!

*Although I will admit, not at 6xAA.
I have the cleanest, most optimized XP install you could ever dream of. My system is, and was at the time, flawless. I can't speak for the 10,000 others who have flamed the steam forums because of the fake specs, but something tells me they aren't all running a bunch of bloated, adware ridden systems either.

Valve should have actually been sued for that. Too bad it would never hold up. Regardless, those thousands of people wanted a refund and couldn't get it, due to the way Steam works, and makes retail copies worthless. When you throw away $50 on a product you can't even use, despite the fact that you meet every required spec, you'd be angry too.
Mozgus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 03:27 PM   #19
bean19
Butt Stallion

Mozgus - You must have had some problem. I've played it on an office machine with one of those $50 Office Max graphics cards that were intended for fast PDF viewing rather than gaming at 800x600 and it still had bad framerates.
bean19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 03:34 PM   #20
The Continental
▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaGhost
The demo played excellently on my system... until I added the save game and the dev console to the shortcut. Now it runs like shit. Anybody have any ideas as to why?
Same exact situation for me. I'm guessing it's running in debug mode judging by all the text output appearing on screen when running it with these settings.
The Continental is offline   Reply With Quote