Last post by Suicidal ShiZuru
Today 03:31 PM
6 Replies, 577 Views
» Promotion

Old 01-16-2012, 07:01 AM   #1
Emabulator
iBlood Donor

Dead Island: Ryder White DLC Revealed

Deep Silver and Techland have announced the upcoming release of a story DLC called Ryder White for their zombie action game, Dead Island.

Quote:
This DLC offers a unique new perspective into the incidents in the main story of Dead Island: This time the player will get the chance to play as Ryder White, the antagonist of the main game; learn more about his motivations and why, from his point of view, he did what he had to do. This fresh take on the Dead Island story shows Ryder White both as a military man and a loving husband.

The DLC stars Ryder White as a newly playable character and offers a single player campaign with several hours of story content with twists and turns that will shed new light on the game’s happenings. Two blueprints and weapons will further expand the already impressive arsenal of Dead Island.

The DLC will be available on February 01, 2012 for the PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system, the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft and Windows PC. It will be available for 800 Microsoft points on Xbox LIVE Marketplace or for £7.99 on PSN and Steam.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 07:49 AM   #2
lockwoodx
Photobomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkumaATR View Post
Lock is untouchable though, he's too cool to be targeted, like ever. He's Detroit's Heisenberg!
lockwoodx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 08:15 AM   #3
Coldeath
Evil Dead

any one still play this ?
Coldeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 08:20 AM   #4
MasterKwan
Evil Dead

I really tried to like this game. The setting and combat is good but, the bad outweighs the good.

1 - Weapon selection is horribly broken. I never have any idea what weapon my character will have in their hand and what weapon they'll switch to when that weapon breaks.

2 - Mission selection. Unlike say skyrim, you can only have one mission active at a time so, even if you go near a place where you might have a mission to do, you don't know that.

I'm fine with everything else. The so-so player movement and sort of crappy driving. Honestly the game could have been really special. I still hope they fix it but, it's just too frustrating for me to play it as it is. Too many other games that don't punish me for playing them.

Who thought weapons that break was a good idea? At the very least let the upgrades actually give the weapons some realistic life. I mean, how much damage does a hammer take bashing in a zombie skull? Honestly, it's zero. That's another low level annoyance with this game.
MasterKwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 10:18 AM   #5
Pluvious
Evil Dead

I'll buy this. .I loved Dead Island. You can't fault a game for not playing it correctly. If your weapon becomes HALF way damaged SWITCH TO ANOTHER WEAPON, until you can repair it. Pretty simple.
Pluvious is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 10:22 AM   #6
Orphiuchus
Evil Dead

This was a game that I enjoyed up until I stopped playing, but I'm absolutely never going back to finish it.

Like Kwan said, the annoyances really pile up as you go along. Why is there a gun based character if you don't see one until like halfway through the game? For that matter, why are the characters all either super annoying or vaguely racist(and still annoying)?

Great underlying game, but they fucked themselves in the story, character, and polish departments.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:14 AM   #7
Nosfaratus_
Dread Lord

Best open world zombie game to this date.
Nosfaratus_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 11:19 AM   #8
Emabulator
iBlood Donor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orphiuchus View Post
This was a game that I enjoyed up until I stopped playing, but I'm absolutely never going back to finish it.

Like Kwan said, the annoyances really pile up as you go along. Why is there a gun based character if you don't see one until like halfway through the game? For that matter, why are the characters all either super annoying or vaguely racist(and still annoying)?

Great underlying game, but they fucked themselves in the story, character, and polish departments.
Dead Island is rough around the edges and starts off slow. Once you get to the point where your weapons and skills are good it's a lot of fun though.

This is one game I'm really looking forward to seeing what they can do in a sequel.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 11:28 AM   #9
Pluvious
Evil Dead

I agree, the amount of time needed to put into the game before it really gets fun is quite high. Once you leave the first map zone is about where it starts to get interesting. By then you have beefed up your character and have some decent weapons with COOL mods.

After that last patch where it fixed a lot of the little annoyances.. (like the delay when you searched bags and picked stuff up) it got a whole lot more 'polished'.
Pluvious is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 12:43 AM   #10
steved
Soul Reaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterKwan View Post
1 - Weapon selection is horribly broken. I never have any idea what weapon my character will have in their hand and what weapon they'll switch to when that weapon breaks.
Yup, I didn't get their system, either.

However, that's the only thing in the game that bothered me. I expected I'd hate the breaking weapons, but it wasn't a big thing. Hugely enjoyed the game, the setting and level/world design is fantastic.

It was quite clear from all the pre-release info that this would be a bash-zombie game, not a shoot-zombie game.
steved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 07:00 AM   #11
Orphiuchus
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emabulator View Post
Dead Island is rough around the edges and starts off slow. Once you get to the point where your weapons and skills are good it's a lot of fun though.

This is one game I'm really looking forward to seeing what they can do in a sequel.
I kind of enjoyed it the opposite way. I loved the beginning for the atmosphere, but once they introduced bits of the story it got too stupid for me.

I actually stalled out at that lab in the jungle.

Tags
dead island, deep silver, techland