Last post by JazGalaxy
Today 12:36 AM
9 Replies, 741 Views
» Promotion

Old 10-30-2011, 09:02 AM   #1
Emabulator
iBlood Donor

Star Wars: The Old Republic - Voidstar Warzone Trailer

Star Wars: The Old Republic is set for release on December 20, 2011.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 09:56 AM   #2
lockwoodx
Photobomber

Still on that suicidal pre 2012 launch date eh? I'm sure Mythic has taught them they don't need to itemize half the planets so long as your grind is strong enough to keep them busy the extra year you need to finish the content lol.

I still remember picking up greys in the barrows on my 40 smite cleric on guinevere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkumaATR View Post
Lock is untouchable though, he's too cool to be targeted, like ever. He's Detroit's Heisenberg!
lockwoodx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 10:04 AM   #3
Ravijn
Evil Dead

You really don't think the game will be complete by launch? I mean as far as the general content and such that 'should' be in the game. I read the beta leak sites daily and try to keep up with the latest patch notes and it doesn't seem like the game is void of content. Mainly they are tidying up the classes and professions. For example...

"Thank you very much for your interest in Star Wars: The Old Republic. As we draw ever closer to the launch of SW:TOR, it is more important than ever to get your feedback on the game. A number of very significant changes have gone into the latest build of SW:TOR and we want to hear what you think.

Just a few of the key highlights include two new Flashpoints, a new PvP area on Tatooine, improvements to the chat and social systems, and continued iteration on controls and rewards for the Space Game. Additionally, we have taken the huge amount of feedback from the previous testing phase and continued the fine-tuning of all eight classes and their advanced classes. Data from previous tests continues to be instrumental in the overall balance of the game > you will likely notice positive changes to loot drops, crew skills, and overall economy."

You have to at least give the game a shot eventually?
Ravijn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 10:35 AM   #4
bean19
Butt Stallion

Here's a good write-up from someone in the beta: http://www.betacake.net/2011/10/27/s...eta-write-ups/

I'm honestly surprised that they have not opened up the beta to more users or had preview weekends/stress tests yet - especially for preorder customers as offering these always boost preorders.

Last edited by bean19; 10-30-2011 at 10:47 AM..
bean19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 10:48 AM   #5
Ravijn
Evil Dead

Thanks bean!

It's always good to read different perspectives on this game even though I have high hopes.

/crosses fingers
Old 10-30-2011, 11:17 AM   #6
Kreigmstr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by bean19 View Post
Here's a good write-up from someone in the beta: http://www.betacake.net/2011/10/27/s...eta-write-ups/

I'm honestly surprised that they have not opened up the beta to more users or had preview weekends/stress tests yet - especially for preorder customers as offering these always boost preorders.

There is an offer for early access if you pre-order but they havent released any real details on it yet.
Old 10-30-2011, 11:19 AM   #7
Kreigmstr
Evil Dead

Pre-Order/Early Access info:
http://www.swtor.com/preorder
http://www.swtor.com/preorder/faq#q209656

Not much about how early the access is there. :/
Old 10-30-2011, 11:37 AM   #8
dena miscreant
Loss the Earthbreaker

I'm so sold on this already, even if I only play a couple months.

Are you in the beta, lockwood? Is the game feeling unfinished to you or are you just making things up again?
dena miscreant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 01:09 PM   #9
Ravijn
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by dena miscreant View Post
I'm so sold on this already, even if I only play a couple months.

Are you in the beta, lockwood? Is the game feeling unfinished to you or are you just making things up again?
lock in the SWTOR beta???? loooooooooooooooooooooooool.

Nah he just has a hate for the game for some reason. I wouldn't even go as far as saying 'hate'. He just doesn't like it. It's all good though.
Old 10-30-2011, 01:11 PM   #10
Ravijn
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreigmstr View Post
Pre-Order/Early Access info:
http://www.swtor.com/preorder
http://www.swtor.com/preorder/faq#q209656

I pre-ordered it day one. Didn't get the code till day two...

You registered your Pre-Order code on July 22, 2011 and now are registered for the following items:

Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ Collector's Edition Pre-Order
Early game access
Color Stone (Virtual Item)
We will keep you informed about early access to The Old Republic as we get closer to the game's release.

Don’t play solo! Tell your friends you've pre-ordered Star Wars: The Old Republic on Facebook or Twitter!
Old 10-30-2011, 01:25 PM   #11
bean19
Butt Stallion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreigmstr View Post
First, you're that they are doing a soft-launch, but I was thinking of a large stress-testing/marketing beta phase. You see this with most AAA MMOs before they launch. They'll let most people try the game (especially preorders) for a limited time (like a few weekends) before a game launches. This allows them to stress-test the game with realistic server populations, market the game very effectively with word-of-mouth, and train in-game support as well as identify frequent support issues to create standard responses for GMs and to add the issues to a support website to lower the need for GM responses (or elevate the issue to developers if it is a major ticket generator that needs a dev resolution like a boss never dropping loot or dying in the world geometry so that no loot drops, etc.)

This kind of soft-launch is normal in MMOs, and it serves a few purposes:

1. It gets the client downloaded and installed for preorder users prior to launch so that they can spread out installation issues that support gets swamped by during a game's launch. Most of these issues are players complaining about download speed of a patcher due to it being inadequate for the player base and needing to be upgraded/mirrored at different providers for the launch event, so if you can get half your player base to get the game downloaded and installed prior to launch, then you have less need for paying for extra bandwidth with out-of-company services and fewer support tickets generated.

2. A soft-launch can screw up and be fixed without becoming a news story that tarnishes the game. Also, players are much more likely to forgive it as they are less likely to have taken a day off to play the game.

3. Player load on starting zones is made tolerable. You can fit more people on servers before lag issues make it unplayable (or require instancing of zones) because the preorder players are spread out from the starting players. This means that you open up fewer new servers and get large, healthy populations on each server - which is good for their longterm health after churn hits them (you can go overboard and fuck it up like WoW did by not opening up enough. . . but that's a champagne problem all MMOs hope to get and modern MMOs SHOULD be designed with character transfers in mind as a near-launch feature).

4. There are several usage statistics that devs like to test during this phase. They watch the top-performers very closesly because this is the time when beta-testers who learned an exploit and didn't report it are most likely to excel far ahead of the rest of the populace. They look for metrics like bosses killed by only one player, and then they ghost the player while they do it. This often leads to some launch day hotfixes that clear up exploits.
bean19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 01:28 PM   #12
lockwoodx
Photobomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravijn View Post
lock in the SWTOR beta???? loooooooooooooooooooooooool.

Nah he just has a hate for the game for some reason. I wouldn't even go as far as saying 'hate'. He just doesn't like it. It's all good though.
Yes hate is way too strong of a word. I'm overbearingly suspicious. Mythic as a company has burned its fans countless times in the past, journalists I respect have said they don't want to play the game, and it's going to be published by a company I have no respect for, let alone want to use their services.

If anything I'd say the only thing I "hate" about Knights of the Republic so far is the art style. I'm an oldschool Star Wars fan. The new stuff is garbage.
Quote:
Lock is untouchable though, he's too cool to be targeted, like ever. He's Detroit's Heisenberg!
Old 10-30-2011, 01:40 PM   #13
UttiniDaKilrJawa
Evil Dead

I've played 2 TOR weekends. Its not bad. It seems to have a decent level of polish on it. My biggest problem was that it seemed more linear than WoW. Plus the discussion trees (even when bypassable) just get a little stale the second time you see them. Not a terrible game. Probably fun for a good 30 days I'd say.
UttiniDaKilrJawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 02:01 PM   #14
Kreigmstr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by bean19 View Post
First, you're that they are doing a soft-launch, but I was thinking of a large stress-testing/marketing beta phase. You see this with most AAA MMOs before they launch. They'll let most people try the game (especially preorders) for a limited time (like a few weekends) before a game launches. This allows them to stress-test the game with realistic server populations, market the game very effectively with word-of-mouth, and train in-game support as well as identify frequent support issues to create standard responses for GMs and to add the issues to a support website to lower the need for GM responses (or elevate the issue to developers if it is a major ticket generator that needs a dev resolution like a boss never dropping loot or dying in the world geometry so that no loot drops, etc.)

This kind of soft-launch is normal in MMOs, and it serves a few purposes:

1. It gets the client downloaded and installed for preorder users prior to launch so that they can spread out installation issues that support gets swamped by during a game's launch. Most of these issues are players complaining about download speed of a patcher due to it being inadequate for the player base and needing to be upgraded/mirrored at different providers for the launch event, so if you can get half your player base to get the game downloaded and installed prior to launch, then you have less need for paying for extra bandwidth with out-of-company services and fewer support tickets generated.

2. A soft-launch can screw up and be fixed without becoming a news story that tarnishes the game. Also, players are much more likely to forgive it as they are less likely to have taken a day off to play the game.

3. Player load on starting zones is made tolerable. You can fit more people on servers before lag issues make it unplayable (or require instancing of zones) because the preorder players are spread out from the starting players. This means that you open up fewer new servers and get large, healthy populations on each server - which is good for their longterm health after churn hits them (you can go overboard and fuck it up like WoW did by not opening up enough. . . but that's a champagne problem all MMOs hope to get and modern MMOs SHOULD be designed with character transfers in mind as a near-launch feature).

4. There are several usage statistics that devs like to test during this phase. They watch the top-performers very closesly because this is the time when beta-testers who learned an exploit and didn't report it are most likely to excel far ahead of the rest of the populace. They look for metrics like bosses killed by only one player, and then they ghost the player while they do it. This often leads to some launch day hotfixes that clear up exploits.

Understand all the idea's behind it. I've been playing MMO's since DAOC and have participated in the beta's and launch days for most of them since then. I was just commenting on how they hadn't announced any details on how their early access is going to work. So it could be anything from a stress test goes live to an reduce launch day zone overpopulation by 24hr earlier access.
Old 10-30-2011, 02:13 PM   #15
Kreigmstr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockwoodx View Post
Yes hate is way too strong of a word. I'm overbearingly suspicious. Mythic as a company has burned its fans countless times in the past, journalists I respect have said they don't want to play the game, and it's going to be published by a company I have no respect for, let alone want to use their services.

If anything I'd say the only thing I "hate" about Knights of the Republic so far is the art style. I'm an oldschool Star Wars fan. The new stuff is garbage.
I pretty much agree about Mythic having been a beta tester for Magestorm and Warhammer and playing DOAC from release until WoW. But, I'm willing to give them a chance on this because the only real disappointment I've had with Bioware was DA2. I'm actually more worried about EA's influence than Mythic's.
Old 10-30-2011, 02:15 PM   #16
Ravijn
Evil Dead

I'm going to take a guess and say that early access would be 3-5 days.
Old 10-30-2011, 02:19 PM   #17
Wma
Knight

I'm going to pick this one up. Haters will hate, no matter what happens, but it is shaping up nice IMO.
Wma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 03:12 PM   #18
Ravijn
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wma View Post
I'm going to pick this one up. Haters will hate, no matter what happens, but it is shaping up nice IMO.
Hating on SWTOR is the hip thing to do these days.

I know it's not The Old Republic but it's still funny.
Old 10-30-2011, 03:56 PM   #19
lockwoodx
Photobomber

Quote:
Old 10-30-2011, 03:59 PM   #20
dena miscreant
Loss the Earthbreaker

Did you guys play Force Unleashed (1 or 2)?

What did you think? Thinking about trying it out.
dena miscreant is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bioware, electronic arts, lucasarts, star wars, the old republic