Evil Avatar  




Go Back   Evil Avatar > Geek Love > PC Hardware and System Building

» Sponsored Links


» Recent Threads
Jurassic World Trailer
Last post by sjenkins32-1
Today 03:49 PM
23 Replies, 1,447 Views
Call of Duty: Advanced...
Last post by Emabulator
Today 03:30 PM
5 Replies, 607 Views
The Steam Exploration...
Last post by Emabulator
Today 03:00 PM
9 Replies, 542 Views
Godzilla - Character...
Last post by LostToys
Today 02:40 PM
4 Replies, 775 Views
Suggestions for New...
Last post by Suicidal ShiZuru
Today 02:28 PM
12 Replies, 388 Views
#GamerGate Happenings...
Last post by Emabulator
Today 01:45 PM
15 Replies, 2,482 Views
PS Plus Monthly Games...
Last post by Hydroeric
Today 12:53 PM
6 Replies, 419 Views
Super Smash Bros. is the...
Last post by Terran
Today 11:42 AM
22 Replies, 1,016 Views
» Promotion


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2011, 01:53 PM   #61
AzSinistar
Reaper
 
AzSinistar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Tucson
Posts: 162
What about their Scorpius series? any comments on that since the U9BL seems to have been completely discontinued...
__________________
I have seen this plan before and it is far too clever to fail again.
AzSinistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 07:14 PM   #62
Anenome
Autarchist
 
Anenome's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Recursion City
Posts: 42,212
Blog Entries: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zane
The blank keyboards always struck me as keyboards for people with a superiority complex. "Oh, you can't use my blank keyboard? I guess not everyone is an awesome touch typist that has memorized all the special keys." I'm a touch typist and I don't see the point except perhaps for a typing class where you're trying to force students to stop looking at the keys.
I almost bought a blank keyboard that has the keys in very tiny print on the front of the keys, like the vertical front, not on the touchable part of the key at all. It then looks blank but has the things up there for reference.

My reason for that, simply because I was already wearing the lettering off the keyboards, why not put it where it can't be worn off. But, ultimately, I decided backlit was a priority for me and found a mechanical backlit keyboard, and am absolutely fucking loving it.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by VenomUSMC View Post
I wonder if there would be enough digital storage space in the world if someone tried to digitize your ego -- I'm guessing no.
Anenome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 02:48 AM   #63
Syl
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Corvallis, OR
Posts: 6,469
Blog Entries: 2
I want this particular keyboard so bad that I'm probably going to spend the $130 on it.

Aluminum top, cherry (red) mx switches, more macro keys than I could ever need and full media keys? I've typed on its little brother (the K60) and it felt perfect.

I just felt like that should be in this thread.

I know it was only a few months ago that I was satisfied with my microsoft sidewinder X6, but since then my spacebar has started going and after feeling the cherry switch keys I really, really want a cherry switch keyboard. This also has an adjustable backlight, which is something that i'm fond of on my current keyboard but probably don't need. Still a useful touch.

I also have gotten so used to having macro keys on the left side of the keyboard that I really don't want to be without them. That's a personal preference that came from the past few years of learned behavior...
Syl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 11:33 AM   #64
Zane
Subscriber
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Rogers, AR
Posts: 651
I just picked up this one with Cherry MX Brown switches: http://www.cmstorm.com/en/products/k...uickfirerapid/



I really like the fact that it's tenkeyless as I very rarely use the number pad (and yes, I can 10-key touch type) and it's more ergonomic for me to have the mouse closer to my actual typing area. I only have two complaints with it:

1) They don't carry the brown switch version in the US, I had to order from PCHOME in Taiwan. However, the shipping was only $10 and it got here in about 10 days.

2) Some of the keys with stabilizers (longer keys) squeak. I oiled them myself and they're fine now.
Zane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 02:09 AM   #65
Anenome
Autarchist
 
Anenome's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Recursion City
Posts: 42,212
Blog Entries: 59
Syl: That's hot--cherry red is probably the perfect gaming key-type. I couldn't possibly go back to non-backlit and non-mechanical at this point, that would be like reverting to a ball-mouse >_> or a CRT.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by VenomUSMC View Post
I wonder if there would be enough digital storage space in the world if someone tried to digitize your ego -- I'm guessing no.
Anenome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 11:32 AM   #66
shadow763
Tarnished Optimism
 
shadow763's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 3,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syl View Post
I want this particular keyboard so bad that I'm probably going to spend the $130 on it.

Aluminum top, cherry (red) mx switches, more macro keys than I could ever need and full media keys? I've typed on its little brother (the K60) and it felt perfect.

I just felt like that should be in this thread.

I know it was only a few months ago that I was satisfied with my microsoft sidewinder X6, but since then my spacebar has started going and after feeling the cherry switch keys I really, really want a cherry switch keyboard. This also has an adjustable backlight, which is something that i'm fond of on my current keyboard but probably don't need. Still a useful touch.

I also have gotten so used to having macro keys on the left side of the keyboard that I really don't want to be without them. That's a personal preference that came from the past few years of learned behavior...
If you pick this up let me know your thoughts. I have been thinking of picking this one up after I get my tax return.
__________________
PSN & Steam: shadow763 Twitter
shadow763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 12:01 PM   #67
AzSinistar
Reaper
 
AzSinistar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Tucson
Posts: 162
I decided to go with the Mionix Zibal 60 keyboard at first but within a month the coating on both the S and the D keys were rubbed almost completely off. When I contacted their customer support, they said it was due to over use... Amazon was kind enough to let me return it as defective.

I now have the Razor Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth, and it is amazing in comparison. The keys are near silent, the coating is more comfortable and has not in any way degraded in over the last month.
__________________
I have seen this plan before and it is far too clever to fail again.
AzSinistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 12:43 AM   #68
Syl
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Corvallis, OR
Posts: 6,469
Blog Entries: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow763 View Post
If you pick this up let me know your thoughts. I have been thinking of picking this one up after I get my tax return.
Tax return will be my way of picking it up myself, so it may be a few weeks.

I'm consciously avoiding getting my tax return so I can hopefully convince myself I don't need this keyboard. and that AMD 7950, which i really don't need.
Syl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 11:09 PM   #69
shadow763
Tarnished Optimism
 
shadow763's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 3,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syl View Post
Tax return will be my way of picking it up myself, so it may be a few weeks.

I'm consciously avoiding getting my tax return so I can hopefully convince myself I don't need this keyboard. and that AMD 7950, which i really don't need.
The pricing on the 7950 would definitely help me with that decision.

Well it looks like I may pick it up before you then. Unless something really blows my mind between now and time of purchase. I have been slacking on selling off some old PC components on ebay. I need to get on that and I could grab a few more components I have been looking at.
__________________
PSN & Steam: shadow763 Twitter
shadow763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:45 AM   #70
Syl
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Corvallis, OR
Posts: 6,469
Blog Entries: 2
$7950s are going for about $450 right now. I'm just turn because I want something better than the 6950, but I don't want "twice the cost for nowhere near twice the performance" better.

I have to go AMD due to to the fact that i'm planning on having two HDMI and one DVI output from the same card.

Let me know how the K90 is. Anandtech recently reviewed it and it keeps seeming better and better. The only negatives i've read from it are from user reviews.
Syl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 01:48 AM   #71
randir14
Subscriber
 
randir14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzSinistar View Post
I decided to go with the Mionix Zibal 60 keyboard at first but within a month the coating on both the S and the D keys were rubbed almost completely off. When I contacted their customer support, they said it was due to over use... Amazon was kind enough to let me return it as defective.

I now have the Razor Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth, and it is amazing in comparison. The keys are near silent, the coating is more comfortable and has not in any way degraded in over the last month.
I have the Blackwidow Ultimate (non-stealth) and I agree it's great. I like the loud keys though. The headphone jack has come in handy a few times when I've needed extra length to lay down and watch movies. The USB port is also convenient.
randir14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 02:09 AM   #72
Anenome
Autarchist
 
Anenome's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Recursion City
Posts: 42,212
Blog Entries: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by randir14 View Post
I have the Blackwidow Ultimate (non-stealth) and I agree it's great. I like the loud keys though. The headphone jack has come in handy a few times when I've needed extra length to lay down and watch movies. The USB port is also convenient.
That is a rather nice keyboard. If I didn't have my current Xarmor, I'd probably give that a whirl.

One thing tho, it uses Cherry MX Blue which are the loudest Cherry switches. Still lightyears ahead of any standard $20 board with rubber-dome keys *spit*.

I'm glad the backlight isn't green or red :\
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by VenomUSMC View Post
I wonder if there would be enough digital storage space in the world if someone tried to digitize your ego -- I'm guessing no.
Anenome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 09:57 AM   #73
Syl
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Corvallis, OR
Posts: 6,469
Blog Entries: 2
My problem with the blackwidow is that I *need* my media keys and dedicated volume button. The K90 is the only cherry switch keyboard that offers those as well as macro options.
Syl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 10:48 AM   #74
Anenome
Autarchist
 
Anenome's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Recursion City
Posts: 42,212
Blog Entries: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syl View Post
My problem with the blackwidow is that I *need* my media keys and dedicated volume button. The K90 is the only cherry switch keyboard that offers those as well as macro options.
I went from a media keyboard to a non-media (with shortcuts like the Widow) and I don't miss them. You may not need them as much as you think. I'll take mechanical keys and a backlight over media keys anyday.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by VenomUSMC View Post
I wonder if there would be enough digital storage space in the world if someone tried to digitize your ego -- I'm guessing no.
Anenome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:54 AM   #75
lockwoodx
Photobomber
 
lockwoodx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: on tap
Posts: 23,709
Blog Entries: 2
Yes but does your keyboard come with "Rage proof durability"?

http://www.mionix.net/page.php?al=zibal60

I lol'd hard when I saw it.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by AspectVoid View Post
I had no idea he was posting awesome stuff that would get the ads cancelled.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkumaATR View Post
Lock is untouchable though, he's too cool to be targeted, like ever. He's Detroit's Heisenberg!
lockwoodx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:06 PM   #76
Syl
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Corvallis, OR
Posts: 6,469
Blog Entries: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anenome View Post
I went from a media keyboard to a non-media (with shortcuts like the Widow) and I don't miss them. You may not need them as much as you think. I'll take mechanical keys and a backlight over media keys anyday.
I tend to play games and watch stuff on my computer at the same time. The media keys are massively important for when I need to interact with media on one monitor that i'm watching/listening too but don't want to interrupt my full screen game on my other monitor. For this reason non-dedicated keys wouldn't help, and I actually use macros for things so I couldn't dedicate macro keys to perform as media keys either.

Dual 25inch screens and a massive case of ADD/multi-tasking. I'm rarely, ever, doing one thing at once. Hell, right now i'm taking notes in class.

As for backlight: Meh? I just need one that i can absolutely turn off. I don't care for it that much, and this is after two years of a backlit keyboard. The fact that I can turn off the backlight is my favorite thing about it.
Syl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:21 PM   #77
Suicidal ShiZuru
Mutual Hatred
 
Suicidal ShiZuru's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Right on the Beach
Posts: 8,794
Blog Entries: 1
Those Corsair keyboards have been tempting me for a while...
__________________
"This game raped my wife, slaughtered my son and left me for dead."
"It's uplifting to see people support retro gaming platforms like the PC." - Evil Avatar
Suicidal ShiZuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 11:51 AM   #78
Syl
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Corvallis, OR
Posts: 6,469
Blog Entries: 2
Well, i got my tax return and I just ordered the k90. Should be here sometime next week.

Now i just need to wait for the AMD 7870 to come out by march 20th and my computer update will be complete... (for now)
Syl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:20 PM   #79
Emabulator
iBlood Donor
 
Emabulator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: The Garden State
Posts: 19,311
Blog Entries: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zane View Post
I just picked up this one with Cherry MX Brown switches: http://www.cmstorm.com/en/products/k...uickfirerapid/



I really like the fact that it's tenkeyless as I very rarely use the number pad (and yes, I can 10-key touch type) and it's more ergonomic for me to have the mouse closer to my actual typing area. I only have two complaints with it:

1) They don't carry the brown switch version in the US, I had to order from PCHOME in Taiwan. However, the shipping was only $10 and it got here in about 10 days.

2) Some of the keys with stabilizers (longer keys) squeak. I oiled them myself and they're fine now.
I was thinking of getting this keyboard as well.

Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 04:37 PM   #80
Syl
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Corvallis, OR
Posts: 6,469
Blog Entries: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syl View Post
I want this particular keyboard so bad that I'm probably going to spend the $130 on it.
I am making this post from that keyboard. I've never really used a mechanical keyboard before and the difference, even with under 30 minutes of use, is night and day. I understand that it's quite a bit louder but i can already tell that my typing speed has improved and overall it just feels absolutely amazing.

I haven't really bothered playing any games with it yet nor have I set up any of the macro keys, but when it comes to construction and feel this keyboard is fucking amazing so far. If it lasts as long as it should last i won't regret the $130 i spent on it so far.

Also I just bought my Radeon 7850 and it should be here in a day or two. Mid 2012 computer refresh is going awesome. =D
Syl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
keyboard, xarmor

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:56 PM.