Last post by Chief Smash
Today 08:38 AM
26 Replies, 1,502 Views
» Promotion

Old 07-27-2011, 06:24 PM   #21
sai tyrus
Evil Dead

This does not bode well.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve!" - Bilbo Baggins
sai tyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 06:36 PM   #22
bean19
Butt Stallion

Where they'll fuck themselves is on games I'm not going to definitely buy. Mass Effect 3 is a no-brainer that I feel I absolutely must own, so I'll get it Day One even if I have to get it through Origin.

However, I won't pick up games I'm not interested in from them anymore because they won't be in the store that I shop. Battlefield 3 might look too cool to not get - if it was advertised where I buy games. . . but it looks like it won't be, and thus I won't be buying it.

There are a lot of people like this.

Having said that, I can't blame EA for this tactic. Valve isn't selling their titles on different online distribution sites. However, they've been so good about their service that I want them to continue to succeed. My guess is that if EA's Origin does well, it will go to shit.
bean19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 06:40 PM   #23
Agnostic Pope
Evil Dead

Yep ME3 will be the last EA game I ever buy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicidal ShiZuru View Post
If women didn't have vaginas, men would hunt them with dogs. For sport.
Agnostic Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 06:46 PM   #24
Ravenus
Subscriber

Man Fuck EA!! I wonder if we could have a class action lawsuit against them for having purchased the game through steam and now no longer having the ability to install/play it through Steam?? I bought it the way I did because Steam had it. As a consumer, I will not be forced to purchase it through or play it through their store. GO Fuck yourselves EA , or we the consumers WILL!
Ravenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 06:58 PM   #25
Emabulator
iBlood Donor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenus View Post
Man Fuck EA!! I wonder if we could have a class action lawsuit against them for having purchased the game through steam and now no longer having the ability to install/play it through Steam?? I bought it the way I did because Steam had it. As a consumer, I will not be forced to purchase it through or play it through their store. GO Fuck yourselves EA , or we the consumers WILL!
People who purchased the game through Steam can still download and play it. It has been pulled from the store.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 07:00 PM   #26
NickAragua
Evil Dead

No steam, no sale. Partially because of the steam sales, which allow me to buy these "big budget" titles at prices I find reasonable.
NickAragua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 07:04 PM   #27
Tolgar
Evil Dead

Meanwhile PC pirates can install this game and all the DLC without installing Steam or Origin, so that battle was never part of this.

What's so important about your crap DLC that you have to kill "any" consumer goodwill you managed to cling to and the revenue that comes from being on Steam. Are you pissed off that Steam sells your games for less than $59.99 at times? So what, are you going to pull from Steam every game you have anytime you come out with a patch or DLC, doing a bait and switch on folks who bought it at release expecting the game to stay there?

You may think you don't have to give a shit because the console gamers are already locked in and don't have a choice and buy your crap all the time. You will notice though when no one shows up to your digital storefront compared to Steam. Keep on slinging shit EA, you'll get covered in it eventually.
Tolgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 07:05 PM   #28
josteos
Reaper

EA has had... what.... 3-4 attempts to make a download service that didn't piss me off. They failed.

Steam has only occasionally pissed me off (L4D2 release day delays! OMG I can't bear to wait 30min! ARGGGGHH!). Steam has a better friends system Steam has a better in-game overlay. Steam has a better.... <on and on and on>

EA Download Service has a better "You own the right to play the game (until we say otherwise), but only the right to download your game for 6 months" service.

And for some reason, Steam wins.
josteos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 07:11 PM   #29
Vallo
Death Knight

Quote:
When discussing the dispute as it pertained to Crysis 2, EA's David DeMartini objected to Valve's strict control over post-release involvement in a game.

"We take direct responsibility for providing patches, updates, additional content, and other services to our players," DeMartini said, and so insist on being allowed to "establish an ongoing relationship" with customers and contact them to inform them of new patches and available content.
What they don't seem to understand is that the reason they're claiming they have to take titles off Steam is the only reason I cared about most of them. EA may want to establish an ongoing relationship with me, but they're the LAST people I want responsible for delivering content for their own games to me, as they have a well-established track record of stopping after a while in the environments where they're able. The only way I'm interested in an EA game that needs patches, servers, or additional content is if somebody else handles providing them to me. Otherwise, I'm not paying for a game practically guaranteed to not work after a year or two. I was iffy on Dragon Age 2 anyway because of the style of changes made, and I could easily pass on the game completely without feeling left out.

As for contacting customers themselves to inform them of new available content... No, EA. I see enough of your advertising already, and spamming me directly is again the opposite of the direction you need to go to sell to me. Put some of those marketing millions into making demos and trailers so awesome that I'll hear about them from enthusiastic people I trust, and I'll actually go looking for your ads.
Vallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 07:25 PM   #30
Peelzbury
Evil Dead

thanks EA. this will make it easier for me to avoid accidentally support one of your games.
Old 07-27-2011, 07:42 PM   #31
GBSOD
Subscriber

Fuckers, but should we be surprised?
Old 07-27-2011, 08:15 PM   #32
Hiquin
Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emabulator View Post
People who purchased the game through Steam can still download and play it. It has been pulled from the store.
BUT, will those people continue to receive updates to the game?
Hiquin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 08:16 PM   #33
NightRain
Evil Dead

Anyone else find it Ironic that EA boasted a huge quarter thanks to Portal 2 which is published? Way to piss off Valve again and again... good luck trying to make Origin "HBO".

My GamerTag
NightRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 08:19 PM   #34
Agnostic Pope
Evil Dead

They will needs lots of tits...to make themselves the new HBO.
Quote:
Old 07-27-2011, 09:04 PM   #35
Anenome
Autarchist

Remember when EA said they wanted to go social in a big way? This is about using Origin to make you re-do your friends list so they can cross market you a million ways to sunday.

ME3 will be the last game I buy from EA. I can't see installing Origin. Not until they at least match the service that Steam offers, and so far they've indicated they intend to screw me over. So FU to EA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wastedyears View Post
I wonder how many of you who worship at the altar of Steam will continue to worship them over the next couple of years, after they are bought by Activision or EA.
Steam/Valve is privately owned and cannot simply be bought by either of them. Gabe is already wealthy, why would he sell. He will not.
Anenome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 09:06 PM   #36
Johan
sub-$20 Gamer

Quote:
ME3 will be the last game I buy from EA.
Buy it used on console. Avoid Origin, avoid giving them any money at all, and flip 'em the bird on your way.
Johan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 09:11 PM   #37
Agnostic Pope
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johan View Post
Buy it used on console. Avoid Origin, avoid giving them any money at all, and flip 'em the bird on your way.
Naw. Might get the CE for PC and replay the first two before ME3 comes out. I hate EA but I love the ME TRILOGY. (it ends with ME3 for me...but knowing history this might become Star Wars ver.2 dur) I like my ME so much I named one of my dog's Tali. (lol my dog prob has a better looking face than Tali)
Quote:
Old 07-27-2011, 09:13 PM   #38
Agnostic Pope
Evil Dead

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anenome View Post
Steam/Valve is privately owned and cannot simply be bought by either of them. Gabe is already wealthy, why would he sell. He will not.
What if he starts buying cake factories? Surely he will need the money then!
Quote:
Old 07-27-2011, 09:14 PM   #39
Johan
sub-$20 Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic Pope View Post
I hate EA but I love the ME TRILOGY.
Same here. It's a terrific universe of characters and a compelling story. I'll buy and play it as well.

Used.
Johan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 09:28 PM   #40
Anenome
Autarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johan View Post
Naw, I must have it on PC. I'll buy a hard-copy from a brick'n'mortar, ensuring that EA makes the least possible amount of money off me while still getting it new.

Least that way, I can install it whenever I want for the foreseeable future.
Anenome is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dragon age ii, electronic arts, origin