EverQuest II Trailer

A new trailer for EverQuest II.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 06:13 PM   #2
Anenome
Autarchist

Hah, like I would ever play a Sony mmo.

Antyhing with a monthly fee, no thanks.

I mean, I wonder how much they're getting paid per megabyte running these MMOs; it's got to be the most expensive downloads on the planet.

You're not downloading video, at all. The client is running on your system. You're downloading at most positional data and events. So, like, maybe 50kb / sec? At the most? Probably averages about 10kb / sec, so 600kb / minute when idles are taken into account. I dunno. I'd love to see a breakdown. The industry has got to know these numbers by heart already.

600 kb / minute. Let's say the average player plays 8 hours a week. So 600kb / minute x 60 min / hour x 32 hours played in a month = 1,152,000kb / month,
/1024 = 1125mb / month
/1024 = 1.09 gigabytes a month

So, you're paying what $15 a month for 1 gigabyte of data a month?

I understand the true value is in the fun, but I just want to isolate the technical logistics here. It's like calculating printer ink and discovering that HP printer ink is worth $2,000 a gallon (which is true actually).
Anenome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 06:26 PM   #3
Whimbrel
Subhuman

That looks awesome. I can't wait until this comes out. Again?
Whimbrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 07:02 PM   #4
Ozymandis
Reaper

Oooh, day one purchase for me!

Oops, sorry. I did buy it when it came out the first time, and it was awful. That and Aion are the worst MMOs that I've played.
Ozymandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 07:11 PM   #5
Anenome
Autarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anenome View Post
Meanwhile, ISPs are capping internet connection at 250gb a month for which people are paying anywhere from $30 - $99 a month depending on speed desired.
Old 07-17-2011, 09:52 PM   #6
Azzy
Cthulian

just because it's a game doesn't mean we need to hear about it

failgame with failtech by failcompany is a failstory.
Azzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 11:22 PM   #7
Vandenh
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
just because it's a game doesn't mean we need to hear about it

failgame with failtech by failcompany is a failstory.
QFT.

Slow news day?
My suggestion, as a fellow PS3 owner, is that you should've gotten a 360.
Vandenh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 08:18 AM   #8
clok1966
Knight

Amazing that most commenters dont know if it where not for EQ1 there quite possilby wouldnt be any WoW.. or for those that like non spoon feed MMOPRG's any of the others. EQ2 did what was expected, it improved the graphics, improved the quests of EQ1.. its just the KING OF COPY company (blizzard) one up'ed um.. and I agree WoW is a probebly a better game for 99% of the gamers out there.
clok1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 09:11 AM   #9
Vandenh
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by clok1966 View Post
Amazing that most commenters dont know if it where not for EQ1 there quite possilby wouldnt be any WoW.. or for those that like non spoon feed MMOPRG's any of the others. EQ2 did what was expected, it improved the graphics, improved the quests of EQ1.. its just the KING OF COPY company (blizzard) one up'ed um.. and I agree WoW is a probebly a better game for 99% of the gamers out there.
Are you for real? Not like EQ is the original MMO....
My suggestion, as a fellow PS3 owner, is that you should've gotten a 360.
Vandenh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 09:27 AM   #10
Anenome
Autarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by clok1966 View Post
Is this an argument that we should somehow be thankful and loyal to EQ and play it instead of a better game? No thank you.
Old 07-18-2011, 10:11 AM   #11
Abednigo
Made a good point once

I really thought this was an old thread.

PSN ID: jjmahoney
Abednigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 02:42 PM   #12
Sloth
Evil Dead

i like how generic the bullet points were. "Kill" "Lead" "Craft"

I think everyone is familiar with MMO gameplay. Which comes down to investing the majority of your free time into accomplishing anything of note
Old 07-18-2011, 02:51 PM   #13
Anenome
Autarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
i like how generic the bullet points were. "Kill" "Lead" "Craft"

I think everyone is familiar with MMO gameplay. Which comes down to investing the majority of your free time into accomplishing anything of note
Yeah, don't get me started on that aspect--how bad the trailer was, and badly written. About as subtle as a hammer.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:20 PM   #14
Vallo
Death Knight

For all that... I loved the music in the trailer, after the first 13 seconds just switched to another tab and let it play in the background instead of closing it. Generic fantasy fare but a great sound anyway IMO. That must've been an experience to record; I'm trying to imagine how it would sound live in a massive room with good acoustics.
Vallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 03:00 PM   #15
Bane
Knight

Not quite... Network bandwidth is measured in bits, not bytes. 8 bits = 1 byte. Your math is good up until "1.09 Gigabytes a month." That should actually be 1.09 gigabits. To get bytes, you would need to divide 1.09 gigabits by 8. Not nearly as much as you would think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anenome View Post
Hah, like I would ever play a Sony mmo.

Antyhing with a monthly fee, no thanks.

I mean, I wonder how much they're getting paid per megabyte running these MMOs; it's got to be the most expensive downloads on the planet.

You're not downloading video, at all. The client is running on your system. You're downloading at most positional data and events. So, like, maybe 50kb / sec? At the most? Probably averages about 10kb / sec, so 600kb / minute when idles are taken into account. I dunno. I'd love to see a breakdown. The industry has got to know these numbers by heart already.

600 kb / minute. Let's say the average player plays 8 hours a week. So 600kb / minute x 60 min / hour x 32 hours played in a month = 1,152,000kb / month,
/1024 = 1125mb / month
/1024 = 1.09 gigabytes a month

I understand the true value is in the fun, but I just want to isolate the technical logistics here. It's like calculating printer ink and discovering that HP printer ink is worth $2,000 a gallon (which is true actually).
Bane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 03:45 PM   #16
Anenome
Autarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bane View Post
Not quite... Network bandwidth is measured in bits, not bytes. 8 bits = 1 byte. Your math is good up until "1.09 Gigabytes a month." That should actually be 1.09 gigabits. To get bytes, you would need to divide 1.09 gigabits by 8. Not nearly as much as you would think.
I see, and you're right, forgot about that. I hate that but/byte equivocation in bandwidth, tbh.

So, we're actually talking about 120mb a month for $15 :P damn. That megabyte to dollar ratio probably exceeds most all other digital sales content.

I suppose an ebook techically has a better ratio, if you buy from a major label :P $10+ for a few hundred kilobytes at most. But a great deal of added value.
Old 07-19-2011, 05:27 PM   #17
Grumsh
Evil Dead

You all missed the obvious little snippet that will have people flocking back to EQ II in droves, the little snippet that shows a Kerran Beastlord with a Tiger pet.

Here comes the masses of fanboy's hoping to relive there EQ I heyday!

1:When a distinguished but elderly scientist states that something is possible, he is almost certainly right. When he states that something is impossible, he is probably wrong.
Grumsh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
everquest ii, soe