Last post by Emabulator
Today 12:11 AM
4 Replies, 489 Views

Old 07-14-2011, 10:17 AM   #1
Emabulator
iBlood Donor

RAGE - The Arsenal

The team at id Software discuss the various weapons, ammo
types, and gadgets you'll come across in the RAGE wasteland.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 10:32 AM   #2
lockwoodx
Photobomber

JESUS TAPDANCING CHRIST I could not finish watching that. To hear them say Crossbows are cool and new? DID THEY NEVER PLAY HALF-LIFE? Also the voice acting is WAY out of place. They don't sound like hard smokers and drinkers of a post apoc world at all. FUCKING MANNERS? SERIOUSLY?

Last but not least... hearing them talk up the animations I laughed to myself, because those are the same canned bathesda animations I've seen for years, right down to how the guy was limping away after shot.

It's megatextures over the gambryo engine.
So, confession time. I've had lockwoodx on ignore for years. I had no idea he was posting awesome stuff that would get the ads cancelled.
lockwoodx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 11:43 AM   #3
MasterKwan
Evil Dead

I was kind of Meh to rage but, this makes it sound better than I was expecting. Couple comments still worry me "we don't want the inventory to get in the way". Well, I like inventory management. Seeing all the different things I've collect. The idea of collecting more weapons as you move forward is old as the hills too. Can I mod the weapons is my question?

It seems pretty...serious though.
MasterKwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 12:04 PM   #4
lockwoodx
Photobomber

Quote:
"When players enter a new area we want them to get a new weapon and experience a new ammo type."
That tells me the game is going to be pretty linear. Now borderlands was linear too but it worked. Will be hard to tell with this one. I've got this really bad feeling I'm goingt o pick up rage because hey.... who doesn't want more Fallout if it's been polished? It's just that every time I see one of these promo trailers I get pissed because I see what they did there.
So, confession time. I've had lockwoodx on ignore for years. I had no idea he was posting awesome stuff that would get the ads cancelled.
Old 07-14-2011, 01:34 PM   #5
Capt_Thad
Do a Barrell Roll

I'm not seeing canned Bethesda animations... maybe some basically similar motions, but nothing you don't see across most game engines. That limping away motion from getting shot makes me think of Unreal 3 games. The melee charge these guys use looks straight out of Borderlands too. You can definitely see more joint movement, and there are some scenes where badguys are moving fluidly over obstacles. Those two factors pretty much deny it being the same animation engine, or at least the same version we've already seen.

Sure you hadn't convinced yourself from the get-go that it was the case, and now it's all you can see? RAGE was in development a couple years before the Bethesda buy-out, game wasn't even originally set to be published by them. Think you've posted the Gamebryo comment in almost every RAGE thread since the Bethesda bit was announced.

Cool to see a little more on the gameplay. I'm liking the way this is looking to be. More like a modern take on a classic action shooter, with some sandbox type stuff and some very lite-RPG elements. That wing blade thing gave me a Turok vibe.
Old 07-14-2011, 01:37 PM   #6
ovi
Dread Lord

wahhh wtf.
what is wrong with this ppl. i dont see 1 innovative idea in the "arsenal". that boomerang thing? ever played turok2? or perfect dark? i would like some combinations of mods like in old super metroid on SNES. and upgrads like in resident evil 4.
ovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 02:46 PM   #7
Sonic Wang
Reaper

They should've called it "Nerd Rage" after all the nerd hissy fits it seems to cause
Sonic Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 04:17 PM   #8
lockwoodx
Photobomber

They have a ways to go before I'll be impressed.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:35 PM   #9
lockwoodx
Photobomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt_Thad View Post
Sure you hadn't convinced yourself from the get-go that it was the case, and now it's all you can see? RAGE was in development a couple years before the Bethesda buy-out, game wasn't even originally set to be published by them. Think you've posted the Gamebryo comment in almost every RAGE thread since the Bethesda bit was announced.
I'm just waiting to be proven wrong, but in this case I'm not hoping to be right.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:43 PM   #10
Elysium
Evil Dead

I love how Id always plays up their legacy of "inventing the FPS genre" in every interview and feature, regardless of the fact they haven't progressed their gameplay in any innovative way since then.

That said, their games are always polished and fun, and I'm really looking forward to this - especially if they can achieve a rock solid 60fps on consoles - a feature I think is LONG overdue and should be a requirement in this day and age.
Elysium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 04:49 AM   #11
rubbishfoo
Evil Dead

Jeez... After watching that. I'm pretty skeptical myself. Looks very nice but feels... Synthetic?
Old 07-15-2011, 04:58 AM   #12
MasterKwan
Evil Dead

Quote:
That said, their games are always polished and fun,
Polished yes, fun, no. I've said in the past that Id seems to be a game making company with no gamers in it. They're great technicians sure, but they don't know how to make a fun game. Their innovation comments for example, suggest that they're not played Borderlands and other more more modern shooters.

They really come across with an arrogant "we know what the gamers want" kind of attitude but, the results of the past couple years suggest, that isn't true. "We give you the weapons, now you use them" instead of "we give you core weapons and you can mod them into personalized weapons" or "the weapons selection is very large so, you can pick your play style".
Old 07-15-2011, 06:26 AM   #13
Dag-Sabot
Evil Dead

Sweet! Borderlands 2.
Old 07-15-2011, 07:44 AM   #14
lockwoodx
Photobomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterKwan View Post
Polished yes, fun, no. I've said in the past that Id seems to be a game making company with no gamers in it. They're great technicians sure, but they don't know how to make a fun game. Their innovation comments for example, suggest that they're not played Borderlands and other more more modern shooters.

They really come across with an arrogant "we know what the gamers want" kind of attitude but, the results of the past couple years suggest, that isn't true. "We give you the weapons, now you use them" instead of "we give you core weapons and you can mod them into personalized weapons" or "the weapons selection is very large so, you can pick your play style".
ID seems to be taking the direction of "Let the kids take care of the tech stuff for us now" and I can't imagine it being anything less than a genuine artisans workshop. THe old guys earned their laurels so they get to be the ones who design the world, tone, and story for the games. Then you have the apprentices who pound out the modeling and code under the watchful eye of masters. Last but not least the big cheeze strolls through his workshop, adjusting where needed, and after careful deliberation says "Hmmm, Megatextures! There, now it's finished" and Bathesda provides all the PR/Marketing/Voice actors.
Old 07-15-2011, 07:48 AM   #15
lockwoodx
Photobomber

I'm not a huge real firearms person, but if you've ever fired a 1911, then a 1911 Kimber back to back, that's how ID FPS games have always felt to me. Same experience, little smoother action.
Old 07-15-2011, 08:26 AM   #16
MasterKwan
Evil Dead

I was reading an article the other day about RIM (research in motion, blackberry) and they were trying to figure out what had gone wrong there. Why they were running a distant 3rd to Android and Apple? The answer they came up with is that direction from the top didn't want innovation. That the people in charge were thinking "longer battery life" is innovation, not apps and mobile web. This sort of dovetails with your artisan shop idea. The boys at the top set the direction totally divorced from what has happened out in the real world.

Tags
bethesda softworks, id software, rage