Last post by Suicidal ShiZuru
Yesterday 02:28 PM
34 Replies, 2,085 Views
» Promotion

Old 07-09-2011, 09:11 AM   #1
Emabulator
iBlood Donor

PC Gaming Not Dead Again, Again

Mark Rein, vice president of Epic Games, spoke with Eurogamer TV about how PC tech has shot by consoles and the importance of it in the future of gaming.

Quote:
Epic's Mark Rein has talked up the importance of PC to the future of gaming, insisting: "We're at the stage in the life of the consoles where the PC has shot by them in terms of capabilities."

Echoing comments made by id Software's John Carmack at E3, who said current PC gaming tech was "ten times as powerful" as current consoles, Rein argued that PC was "always the most important leading edge platform".

Speaking exclusively to Eurogamer TV, in the first part of a series of video features on PC gaming, Epic Games' VP said: "Don't forget every game that's ultimately built is built on a PC. PCs are always going to be the tools through which all games get made.

"With the PC you can simulate the future – you can put enough hardware in a PC to show you what a future console will look like."
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 10:23 AM   #2
randir14
Subscriber

That means a lot coming from a company that hasn't released a PC game in four years.
randir14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 10:34 AM   #3
Ravenus
Subscriber

Ummmm pretty sure PCs have always been more powerful than consoles. Game makers just have no idea what the hell they are talking about. My PC has always blown away my console versions of a game.
Ravenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 11:17 AM   #4
NeoZero
Lord

Quote:
"With the PC you can simulate the future – you can put enough hardware in a PC to show you what a future console will look like."
Actually, with consoles you simulate the past, you can show what a PC from the past looked like.
NeoZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 02:27 PM   #5
ElektroDragon
Panzermensch!

Anyone want to give me an example of a PC game that looks 10 times better than Uncharted 2? Even with most Xbox 360 games compared to the PC, at best you get less texture flicker, a bit more sharpness, and a bit less aliasing. Maybe a bit more draw distance. This guy is talking out his ass. Examples please.
ElektroDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 02:31 PM   #6
PopoWRX
Oghren's Drinking Buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElektroDragon View Post
Anyone want to give me an example of a PC game that looks 10 times better than Uncharted 2? Even with most Xbox 360 games compared to the PC, at best you get less texture flicker, a bit more sharpness, and a bit less aliasing. Maybe a bit more draw distance. This guy is talking out his ass. Examples please.
I don't think its 10 times better but Witcher 2 absolutely abuses my machine and it looks great. Better than anything I've seen on the consoles.
PopoWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 05:39 PM   #7
Anenome
Autarchist

I think Neozero has nailed it.

And what's better about the PC version of Uncharted 2 is undoubtedly the resolution for one thing :P
Anenome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 07:03 PM   #8
donkeydrop
Evil Dead

He's talking about a tech demo, but where are the actual games? OK there's a few console ports that look a bit better on PC, but usually are inferior in some other way.
donkeydrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 07:26 PM   #9
Ravenus
Subscriber

Are you serious?! I think it's that you have never owned a gaming PC, or perhaps don't understand what a gaming PC actually is.... Just to name a few Battlefield Bad Company 2, Witcher 2 (yes), Call of Duty, Chronicles of Riddick, hell, even Torchlight looks better on the PC compared to the current systems.
Ravenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 07:35 PM   #10
sixtyfps
Evil Dead

Framerate and/or resolution are pretty craptastic on AAA console titles. I remember the first time I tried the Uncharted 2 demo, I whined about it being a "slideshow" on FB.

Wanting to be taken seriously as a gamer is like wanting to be taken "dessertly" as a potato. —LoTECH
sixtyfps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 08:18 PM   #11
Anenome
Autarchist

When a game is made for console and ported to PC it's rarely any better.

When it's made for PC and ported to console, the PC ver is always superior.
Anenome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 08:26 PM   #12
randir14
Subscriber

Quote:
That's because most games these days are multi platform. And other than CD Projekt there aren't any PC-first developers making amazing looking games.
randir14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 09:00 PM   #13
Pumped'Up
A Mortal Heart

I don't understand the argument here.

PC gaming (graphics for this matter) have always been and always will be superior than console. Unfortunately, games are developed for consoles because that's where the money/profit is.
Pumped'Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 11:00 PM   #14
defiant
Evil Dead

Quote:
It is you who is talking out of their ass.

If you do not already understand the strengths of PC's over consoles then there is likely little hope that anyone here will be able to educate you by way of explanation over the internet.

In my experience the only way to enlighten such people is to sit them down in front of a decent PC and show them firsthand exactly what the differences are, e.g. the difference between a crappy unfiltered image rendered at 600P then scaled up to 1080P versus a natively rendered image at 1600P and running at 60FPS+.

P.S. I can think of MANY PC games that look 10 times better than Uncharted 2 from the point of view of rendering quality, texture quality, filtering, rendering distance, particle effects, etc etc. But the kicker is that some people don't seem to grasp that most PC games, being console ports, need to accommodate the hardware limitations of consoles.

Only god knows how much more game graphics would have advanced if the industry was still focused on leveraging the power of PCs.
defiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 11:23 PM   #15
92miata
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenus View Post
Are you serious?! I think it's that you have never owned a gaming PC, or perhaps don't understand what a gaming PC actually is.... Just to name a few Battlefield Bad Company 2, Witcher 2 (yes), Call of Duty, Chronicles of Riddick, hell, even Torchlight looks better on the PC compared to the current systems.
Believe me 99.98756876.9 of the population has no idea what a gaming PC is or what we are talking about. Consoles are fine for them.

NOT ME!!!!!
92miata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 12:01 AM   #16
defiant
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by randir14 View Post
That means a lot coming from a company that hasn't released a PC game in four years.
Spot on. Given the inflammatory comments routinely made by Cliffy B deriding the PC user base and the utter lack of releases, let alone releases that demonstrate that PC is a "leading edge platform", Epic should really just sit in the corner, shut the fuck up and leave development of PC games to those who genuinely believe in and support the platform.
Old 07-10-2011, 01:42 AM   #17
Primus
Valar Morghulis

Quote:
Originally Posted by defiant View Post
It is you who is talking out of their ass.

If you do not already understand the strengths of PC's over consoles then there is likely little hope that anyone here will be able to educate you by way of explanation over the internet.

In my experience the only way to enlighten such people is to sit them down in front of a decent PC and show them firsthand exactly what the differences are, e.g. the difference between a crappy unfiltered image rendered at 600P then scaled up to 1080P versus a natively rendered image at 1600P and running at 60FPS+.

P.S. I can think of MANY PC games that look 10 times better than Uncharted 2 from the point of view of rendering quality, texture quality, filtering, rendering distance, particle effects, etc etc. But the kicker is that some people don't seem to grasp that most PC games, being console ports, need to accommodate the hardware limitations of consoles.

Only god knows how much more game graphics would have advanced if the industry was still focused on leveraging the power of PCs.
Unfortunately no one cares. Consoles are the flagship platform. Even the best PC exclusives do not push PC gaming to its limits (Everything Blizzard, everything Valve). The PC is a lame, shadow of a platform that no one cares about.

PSN: Leper DCE
Primus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 02:24 AM   #18
defiant
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primus View Post
Unfortunately no one cares. Consoles are the flagship platform. Even the best PC exclusives do not push PC gaming to its limits (Everything Blizzard, everything Valve). The PC is a lame, shadow of a platform that no one cares about.
Tis largely true, but I still love the PC because any multiplatform release is generally always going to be superior on PC and because of the customisability offered by an open platform. My PS3 and 360 largely gather dust except when I feel like playing an exclusive.

There are still the odds exclusives properly developed for PC (e.g. Witcher 2) and there is a glimmer of hope that some devs will revert back to the methodology of using PC as the primary platform and porting to consoles (e.g. BF3).
Old 07-10-2011, 07:20 AM   #19
donkeydrop
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenus View Post
Almost all console ports, as I said, except Torchlight which is a ridiculous game to mention with it's ten year-old graphics. Witcher 2 is the only one that stands out, and even there just compare the facial animation to LA Noire. Better graphics isn't just about having more pixels, and modern PC games just don't try the bold visual innovations because the money just isn't there without the console release.
donkeydrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 07:27 AM   #20
Cygnus
Evil Dead

Consoles saved PC gaming
Cygnus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epic games, mark rein, pc gaming