ZeniMax Trademarks Nuka...
Last post by Emabulator
Yesterday 11:52 PM
8 Replies, 625 Views

Old 06-18-2011, 11:43 AM   #1
Emabulator
iBlood Donor

Green Lantern - Now Playing

Are you going? Have you seen it? What's the verdict?
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 03:12 PM   #2
JudasGoat
Get behind the mule.

I saw it last night. I consider myself to be a pretty huge GL fan in general (I spend about $40 a week on comics, including all 3 GL titles, the majority of the rest being other DC books) and I give it a B or a B+. There was too much exposition for my liking, not enough Oa or interaction with the other Lanterns, but I had a good time, the wife liked it and it left me excited for a sequel. The alien Lanterns were realized brilliantly, which is why it's a shame they didn't get more screen time - particularly Sinestro. The only major criticism I can give is that -spoiler-: like in too many super hero movies, they kill off the villains or severely fuck up how they're presented. Hal Jordan kills Parallax in his first encounter?

I think it tries to walk a narrow edge between being a comic for the fans and for the masses, and falters a little for the effort, yet if you see it because it's summertime and it's a comic book movie, you'll have a good time.

PSN ID: JudasGoat
Gamertag: JudasGoat 101

Last edited by JudasGoat; 06-19-2011 at 10:34 PM..
JudasGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 03:16 PM   #3
lockwoodx
Photobomber

I can't fucking STAND when movies kill off main characters for the shock value of it. I'm still scared for life from going to see Transformers in the theater.
So, confession time. I've had lockwoodx on ignore for years. I had no idea he was posting awesome stuff that would get the ads cancelled.
lockwoodx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 03:20 PM   #4
Emabulator
iBlood Donor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockwoodx View Post
I can't fucking STAND when movies kill off main characters for the shock value of it. I'm still scared for life from going to see Transformers in the theater.
Don't worry, Clark lives. It's Wall-E who's up shit's creek without a paddle.
Old 06-18-2011, 03:27 PM   #5
lockwoodx
Photobomber

Don't you mean Wall-E? lol
So, confession time. I've had lockwoodx on ignore for years. I had no idea he was posting awesome stuff that would get the ads cancelled.
lockwoodx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 03:35 PM   #6
Emabulator
iBlood Donor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockwoodx View Post
Don't you mean Wall-E? lol
Maybe...
Old 06-18-2011, 03:57 PM   #7
PSPfreak
Troll Troller

Of course it wasn't 100% accurate but overall the concept worked, it left plenty of speculation for a good sequel, and overall was just a fantastic movie.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintBlitzkrieg View Post
I don't believe in reviews.
PSPfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 05:01 PM   #8
Primus
Valar Morghulis

Its crime that reviewers are giving Thor and First Class (both just blatantly bad movies IMHO) great score and this is getting panned.

It is not perfect but its was really fun to watch, solid B+ for me.

PSN: Leper DCE
Primus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 05:13 PM   #9
Caerim
Evil Dead

That's because both Thor and First Class were way better than Green Lantern.

Like someone says above, GL tries to tread the line between movie for the masses and appeal to the fans. I think it does a disservice to both as the masses will find this to be a ho-hum movie (not enough OA, Hal's constructs are overly complex and the defeat of the villain was just plain ludicrous) and the fans will be also stunned at how many storylines this tries to jam in.

I think this would have been a much better movie if they had stuck with either the big story or the little one (or heck, gone with one of the original stories with Sinestro).
Caerim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 05:21 PM   #10
PSPfreak
Troll Troller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caerim View Post
That's because both Thor and First Class were way better than Green Lantern.

Like someone says above, GL tries to tread the line between movie for the masses and appeal to the fans. I think it does a disservice to both as the masses will find this to be a ho-hum movie (not enough OA, Hal's constructs are overly complex and the defeat of the villain was just plain ludicrous) and the fans will be also stunned at how many storylines this tries to jam in.

I think this would have been a much better movie if they had stuck with either the big story or the little one (or heck, gone with one of the original stories with Sinestro).
Couldn't disagree more, lol.

First Class was SO inaccurate with the comics/previous films BUT pulled a lot of stuff off nicely. However, there were numerous goofs/questionable things (possible plot holes, etc.) that made me question the overall movie.

As far as GL, it's phenomenal enough an action movie from a standpoint of effects and entertainment, and was just somber enough to be "ok" otherwise. How is that a bad thing? What exactly was ludicrous about the defeat of the villain? It was perfectly feasible and you can easily tie that in with the anti-matter universe. And "overly complex?" How so? A race track? The rest were all very simple. "Too many storylines?" You've gotta be kidding.

*POTENTIAL SPOILERS*

Yeah, Hammond and Parallax are "too many storylines."

I think you're exaggerating.
Quote:
Old 06-18-2011, 08:38 PM   #11
TragicComic
Death Knight

I went in with very low expectations and came out looking forward to a sequel. Some of it was a bit cliched, but it was a lot of fun. The 3d effects, especially on OA and in space in general, were pretty well realized.

Personally I would have liked to see more constructs, and more depth to the GL Corps in general (more depth in terms of more stuff for them to do). The GL's, specifically Sinestro, were pretty awesome), and I really liked the parallel's between Hal and Hammond's arcs.
TragicComic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 08:41 PM   #12
Trickyicky
Evil Dead

If you hate everything, don't see this movie.

If you like being entertained and can enjoy the good in movies, go see it. I thought it was great.
Trickyicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 09:39 PM   #13
Caerim
Evil Dead

I thought the movie was pretty bad in several spots compared to Thor and First Class.

First class suffered from bad acting (January Jones is hot but is pretty wooden ) and some lame mutants (Dragonfly girl) but overall the movie held together fairly well.

Thor's main issue imo anyways was the Warriors Three and how they were used as a gimmick more than anything else. That's underuse for a fan of the comics but not awful in the movie's context.

GL suffered from having a pair of villains who were underused and an entire corps that was almost tragically useless (like during Hal's second visit to Oa). Effects wise it was pretty cool, and I do think that some of the constructs were needlessly complicated (traditionally, Hal's constructs were always get the job done minimalism and not a fancy one, that was Kyle or John). I guess that's a comic nerd's nitpick.

I guess the problem I had was that there are great elements of the GL stories that were dabbled with but none were fully executed. Plus (and this is just me), I think that if they're going to do a GL origin story, I'd really have gone with the Sinestro arc and his fall from grace. I think that's a much better launch point than the fairly nebulous conceptual villain they went with.

I did enjoy chunks of the movie (Oa, the corps, the opening sequence) but the overall experience didn't do it for me. Too many weak parts and the pacing felt really off (especially when he returns to Earth).

Spoiler
The defeat of the Parallax was also incredibly lame. Seriously, in the past, nobody tried throwing him into a sun?
Or, Krona's the most dangerous person in the universe so we're going to leave him unguarded.
Caerim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 10:53 PM   #14
PSPfreak
Troll Troller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caerim View Post
I thought the movie was pretty bad in several spots compared to Thor and First Class.

First class suffered from bad acting (January Jones is hot but is pretty wooden ) and some lame mutants (Dragonfly girl) but overall the movie held together fairly well.

Thor's main issue imo anyways was the Warriors Three and how they were used as a gimmick more than anything else. That's underuse for a fan of the comics but not awful in the movie's context.

GL suffered from having a pair of villains who were underused and an entire corps that was almost tragically useless (like during Hal's second visit to Oa). Effects wise it was pretty cool, and I do think that some of the constructs were needlessly complicated (traditionally, Hal's constructs were always get the job done minimalism and not a fancy one, that was Kyle or John). I guess that's a comic nerd's nitpick.

I guess the problem I had was that there are great elements of the GL stories that were dabbled with but none were fully executed. Plus (and this is just me), I think that if they're going to do a GL origin story, I'd really have gone with the Sinestro arc and his fall from grace. I think that's a much better launch point than the fairly nebulous conceptual villain they went with.

I did enjoy chunks of the movie (Oa, the corps, the opening sequence) but the overall experience didn't do it for me. Too many weak parts and the pacing felt really off (especially when he returns to Earth).

Spoiler
The defeat of the Parallax was also incredibly lame. Seriously, in the past, nobody tried throwing him into a sun?
Or, Krona's the most dangerous person in the universe so we're going to leave him unguarded.
First Class also had some excellent acting as well... as did GL.

Won't comment on Thor because I haven't seen it and I know shit about those comics.

How were they underused??? The movie wasn't much longer than 2 hours; You had to develop Jordan. Parallax was given a perfectly fine amount of time. The dude destroys planets... exactly what else was he supposed to be on screen for? Hammond also got plenty of time and the two tied in together pretty well. I also happen to be a "comic nerd" yet I had no problem with these things; again I ask how what the heck was "overly complicated???" A fist? A jet? A gun? A chain? A grappling hook? A wall? A race car? A turret? You must have seen a longer version of the movie than I did.

That will come later. I'm baffled that somehow you seem to be expecting a whole long line of numerous arcs introduced and emphasized in one movie. When you try doing shit like that you end up with Spider-Man 3. GL made a wise decision in waiting on Sinestro's fall.
Quote:
Old 06-18-2011, 10:56 PM   #15
the Jack
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickyicky View Post
If you hate everything, don't see this movie.
I hate everything. Please recommend a good movie for me.
Old 06-19-2011, 01:01 AM   #16
DeadPixel
Evil Dead

I think quiet sappy romance scenes in GL dragged on for too long. It really felt like they were stretching the movie with those. The pacing was off too in general, but scenes focusing on Hal Jordan in his suit were great. I want to see a sequel for sure.
DeadPixel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 01:10 AM   #17
Anenome
Autarchist

Thor became melodramatic when he decided too easily to let himself be killed to save his friends.
Democracy is the original 51% attack
Anenome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 02:26 AM   #18
Trickyicky
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Jack View Post
I hate everything. Please recommend a good movie for me.
I can't responsibly respond to this without incriminating both of us.
Trickyicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 03:49 AM   #19
Mav
Moderator & Nerd For Life

I haven't seen it yet. But.. I don't think I'll be able to grade this one fairly. Been reading comic books for over twenty years (started when I was about ten) and GL is my favorite, I've got more GL comics and GL action figures than other titles I read regularly. So.. I'll probably go into this a wee bit biast.

Now if it helps anything, as much as I like Ryan Reynolds as an actor (one of my favorites), I still to this day think he would have been a far better Guy Gardner than a Hal Jordan (again biast since Guy is my favorite Sector 2814 GL). If I had my pick I'd go with Nathan Fillion as Jordan, Reynolds as Gardner, Michael Jai White as Stewart (I dont care what people say I think he can be a damn good actor at times) and maybe someone thats up and coming in their career for Kyle, maybe the dude that plays Chuck? (just an idea).

Either way looking forward to the movie. I think Oa looks amazing, Kilowog looks pretty spot on, can't wait to see what the Guardians look like, mainly Ganthet. Hoping Kilowog sneaks in a "poozer" quote somewhere, and a nod to Mogo would be a nice touch.

FOR THE CORPS!
Raptr mavgeek
Twitter @Maverickroll
Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 08:00 AM   #20
balamoor
Evil Dead

I didn't totally hate it...mainly because I'm kinda desensitized after watching Hollywood bend my childhood heroes over and ass fuck them for the last twenty odd years.

Tags
dc comics, green lantern, warner bros.