Last post by brandonjclark
Yesterday 09:22 PM
5 Replies, 507 Views
» Promotion

Old 05-31-2011, 09:40 PM   #1
Emabulator
iBlood Donor

EverQuest II - Children of War Trailer

An all-new trailer for the EverQuest II game update, The Children of War.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 10:55 PM   #2
Coldeath
Evil Dead

huh i thought eq2 had gone the way of the dodo. Any one knowe there sub numbers ?
Coldeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 11:28 PM   #3
Vandenh
Evil Dead

Dear god... did they get a programmer to voice that???
My suggestion, as a fellow PS3 owner, is that you should've gotten a 360.
Vandenh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 11:48 PM   #4
Azzy
Cthulian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandenh View Post
This is almost word for word the reply I was going to make.
Azzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 02:01 AM   #5
Skunk
Evil Dead

Bro, this is so sad.
Skunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 03:41 AM   #6
DeadPixel
Evil Dead

hahaha sadness
DeadPixel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 04:37 AM   #7
bean19
Butt Stallion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandenh View Post
Not only the voice-acting,but the writing. . . it's not a character talking. . . it's a narrator, but then they put in a muskrat-humanoid character as the narrator. How fucking hard is it to do a stentorian narrator's voice?

If it is that hard, can these programmers not make it down to their local college to cast it? There are kids that would do an amazing job for beer money.

Also, "Children of War" made me think that there would be a new area filled with kids that had grown up through a devastating war and who were themselves now combatants. I thought this might even be a new playable race, but even if it were just NPCs, that would be a compelling fantasy setting. Stopping a war that is the only life that these kids have ever known means more to me than helping an old (and now dead) muskrat.

EQ II feels like Vanguard and a bunch of those early MMOs where you get the feeling that the person who has their hands on the reins of the game doesn't have the emotional maturity or intellectual capacity to make good game design decisions or to make certain that his engineers deliver as the initial release was riddled with a ridiculous number of errors.
bean19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 06:13 AM   #8
balamoor
Evil Dead

It truly amazes me that a company with that kind of operating capitol can produce so much fail.

EQ was ground breaking and mind mind blowing....now SOE seems obsessed with grabbing some of that WoW audience....really a Talking ferret? Really?

Just pull the fricking plug already guys you are embarrassing yourselves.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:16 AM   #9
net7runner
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by balamoor View Post
It truly amazes me that a company with that kind of operating capitol can produce so much fail.

EQ was ground breaking and mind mind blowing....now SOE seems obsessed with grabbing some of that WoW audience....really a Talking ferret? Really?

Just pull the fricking plug already guys you are embarrassing yourselves.
The original Everquest's lore was equally bad, it was just harder to notice because the gameplay experience was so new and exciting. I remember looking over the EQ lore and thinking "this is what a middle manager would create if someone told him they needed some 'fantasy-type stuff' for their game".
net7runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 07:18 AM   #10
lockwoodx
Photobomber

Ahhhh the good ol'e claymation engine. I'm amazed how well the game did for how ugly it was.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkumaATR View Post
Lock is untouchable though, he's too cool to be targeted, like ever. He's Detroit's Heisenberg!
lockwoodx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 08:48 AM   #11
balamoor
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by net7runner View Post
The original Everquest's lore was equally bad, it was just harder to notice because the gameplay experience was so new and exciting. I remember looking over the EQ lore and thinking "this is what a middle manager would create if someone told him they needed some 'fantasy-type stuff' for their game".
Actually I disagree for a video game it was quite in depth, I remember reading the lore book that came with the original game it was close to 200 pages which is unheard of today. What we are seeing with EQ II today is suck of a unheard of magnitude...all because they are trying to be more WoW like.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:57 AM   #12
mrbrick
Evil Dead

what the...

mrbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 09:01 AM   #13
lockwoodx
Photobomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbrick View Post
what the...

+1 good call!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkumaATR View Post
Lock is untouchable though, he's too cool to be targeted, like ever. He's Detroit's Heisenberg!
lockwoodx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 01:14 PM   #14
Cantatus
Squire

Quote:
Originally Posted by bean19 View Post
Also, "Children of War" made me think that there would be a new area filled with kids that had grown up through a devastating war and who were themselves now combatants. I thought this might even be a new playable race, but even if it were just NPCs, that would be a compelling fantasy setting. Stopping a war that is the only life that these kids have ever known means more to me than helping an old (and now dead) muskrat.
Though not explicitly stated in the trailer, I'm guessing "Children of War" refers to the god of war Rallos Zek's children: Tallon, Vallon, and Sullon. In fact, the models they show in the trailer are pretty close to how they appeared in the first EverQuest.

As for the "muskrat", he's actually an otter. The Othmir were in the first EverQuest, but basically just as a small group that druids liked to farm with a couple venders. To me, it's actually sort of cool to see them play a more significant role in EQ2 since they were mainly irrelevant in the first one.

And yes, I do feel like a major geek for remembering all this stuff, but then I did play EQ for 4 1/2 years, so what do you expect?
Cantatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 08:28 AM   #15
Rommel
International Playboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockwoodx View Post
Ahhhh the good ol'e claymation engine. I'm amazed how well the game did for how ugly it was.
The engine is incredible. The game's art direction, however, was amongst the worst I have ever seen. It lacks even Lineage II's soul.
Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 06:48 PM   #16
Grumsh
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantatus View Post
Though not explicitly stated in the trailer, I'm guessing "Children of War" refers to the god of war Rallos Zek's children: Tallon, Vallon, and Sullon. In fact, the models they show in the trailer are pretty close to how they appeared in the first EverQuest.

As for the "muskrat", he's actually an otter. The Othmir were in the first EverQuest, but basically just as a small group that druids liked to farm with a couple venders. To me, it's actually sort of cool to see them play a more significant role in EQ2 since they were mainly irrelevant in the first one.

And yes, I do feel like a major geek for remembering all this stuff, but then I did play EQ for 4 1/2 years, so what do you expect?
It is definitely based on Rallos's kids the 3 Zeks, Tallon, Vallon, and Sullon.

1:When a distinguished but elderly scientist states that something is possible, he is almost certainly right. When he states that something is impossible, he is probably wrong.
Grumsh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
everquest ii, soe, sony online entertainment