randir14
Subscriber

Last one
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/ex...witcher/713860
randir14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 02:45 PM   #4
pearle
Reaper

Awesome trailers. They definitely know how to hype their game to RPG fans, unlike another well known RPG developer.
pearle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 03:03 PM   #5
gzsfrk
Punch, brothers, punch!

Wonky lip syncing aside, those were videos worthy of a Blizzard title. (And I say that in an entirely complimentary fashion, seeing as Blizzard has made about 90% of what I consider to be the best game cinematics ever produced.)
gzsfrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 03:09 PM   #6
Emabulator
iBlood Donor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearle View Post
Awesome trailers. They definitely know how to hype their game to RPG fans, unlike another well known RPG developer.
What? You don't want CD Projekt Red to turn The Witcher into a sticky cover-shooter with an easy button?
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 03:18 PM   #7
pearle
Reaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emabulator View Post
What? You don't want CD Projekt Red to turn The Witcher into a sticky cover-shooter with an easy button?
I think you meant "awesome button" and not "easy button"
Old 05-13-2011, 03:38 PM   #8
Mazzicc
Evil Dead

I'm currently playing the Witcher 1 for the first time, and here's a few impressions I have towards the comments here:

It doesn't need an easy button. I'm hoping the difficulty scales up quite a bit after Chapter 1, but so far in Chapter 2, it's only gotten easier because I have a silver sword too.

He actually looks more menacing/mutated in the artwork than he does in game. In game he looks a bit...off... but not like some freak, just like he might have weird eyes. The Witcher 2 artwork makes him look almost like a monster himself.

The finishing moves are AWESOME, and it's probably the most fun I have, stunning enemies and then killing them, just so I can use the finishing moves.

Combat needs something to change, but I don't know what. I find it silly that when I have 6+ men attacking me, as long as I use "group style" and continue to attack the first guy with the proper timing (only click when my icon shows my sword on fire) that NO ONE else attacks me. The only time this sort of action seems to fail is if I'm using the wrong style on an enemy.

Overall though, I'm enjoying the game, and look forward to finishing it, then getting the new one.
Mazzicc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 03:43 PM   #9
pearle
Reaper

Combat is definitely the weak part of TW1. I didn't mind it much but I do know a lot of people were really turned off by it.
Old 05-13-2011, 03:51 PM   #10
randir14
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazzicc View Post
I'm currently playing the Witcher 1 for the first time, and here's a few impressions I have towards the comments here:

It doesn't need an easy button. I'm hoping the difficulty scales up quite a bit after Chapter 1, but so far in Chapter 2, it's only gotten easier because I have a silver sword too.

He actually looks more menacing/mutated in the artwork than he does in game. In game he looks a bit...off... but not like some freak, just like he might have weird eyes. The Witcher 2 artwork makes him look almost like a monster himself.

The finishing moves are AWESOME, and it's probably the most fun I have, stunning enemies and then killing them, just so I can use the finishing moves.

Combat needs something to change, but I don't know what. I find it silly that when I have 6+ men attacking me, as long as I use "group style" and continue to attack the first guy with the proper timing (only click when my icon shows my sword on fire) that NO ONE else attacks me. The only time this sort of action seems to fail is if I'm using the wrong style on an enemy.

Overall though, I'm enjoying the game, and look forward to finishing it, then getting the new one.
Combat in Witcher 2 is different, CD Projekt said they were inspired by Arkham Asylum, so now you have light and heavy attacks, blocks, dodges, counters, parries, riposte, etc. And people who have played the preview build say combat is tough especially if you're fighting more than two enemies.
Old 05-13-2011, 05:10 PM   #11
Hagetaka
Subscriber

Quote:

Keep in mind that they - in a way - stuffed 10lbs of gaming into a 5lb sack. The (Unreal?) engine wasn't particularly kind to The Witcher. Which is why they created their own for The Witcher 2.

To some degrees, The Witcher 1 is excruciatingly flawed. The animations - especially compared the The Witcher 2 - are wonky and garbled. The combat while unique, suffered due to the aforementioned animations. And, the inventory was a little.. dated? They addressed that the best they could in the enhanced edition and left the remaining tab for The Witcher 2.

Most notable, though, is the immursive quality of the story line. It's does a good enough job at forcing you to forget the flaws. Also, you playing on Hard mode? Or Normal? There is a noticeable difference in difficulty.
Hagetaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 05:13 PM   #12
pearle
Reaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagetaka View Post
Keep in mind that they - in a way - stuffed 10lbs of gaming into a 5lb sack. The (Unreal?) engine wasn't particularly kind to The Witcher. Which is why they created their own for The Witcher 2.

To some degrees, The Witcher 1 is excruciatingly flawed. The animations - especially compared the The Witcher 2 - are wonky and garbled. The combat while unique, suffered due to the aforementioned animations. And, the inventory was a little.. dated? They addressed that the best they could in the enhanced edition and left the remaining tab for The Witcher 2.

Most notable, though, is the immursive quality of the story line. It's does a good enough job at forcing you to forget the flaws. Also, you playing on Hard mode? Or Normal? There is a noticeable difference in difficulty.
The Witcher 1 used the Aurora engine from Bioware (used in NWN1). I think they rewrote the rendered, however, and Obsidian did the same for NWN2.
Old 05-13-2011, 05:17 PM   #13
randir14
Subscriber

Jeux Video magazine reviewed the game and gave it a 19/20
http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/9606/testjoyw2net.jpg

Someone's crappy translation of the review's conclusion:
Quote:
Conclusion = The Witcher 2 keeps its promises, and even more.the rpg that's cd project give to us is simply hallucinating.the devs give us an intelligent rpg, adult, beautiful and damn immersive. tw2 is higher than the first, and I even could say that it's the best rpg i have ever play.
Old 05-13-2011, 05:29 PM   #14
asimplehero
Soul Reaper

Quote:

I tried to replay Witcher 1 but it has not aged well. It's kind of a sloppy mess all in all, and I couldn't play for more than 20 minutes. I like to think of the first game as more of a proof of concept that a mature, gritty, consequence-orientated RPG could be done, and I think the sequel will really make all those great things shine.
asimplehero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 05:43 PM   #15
Capt_Thad
Do a Barrell Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by randir14 View Post
Combat in Witcher 2 is different, CD Projekt said they were inspired by Arkham Asylum, so now you have light and heavy attacks, blocks, dodges, counters, parries, riposte, etc. And people who have played the preview build say combat is tough especially if you're fighting more than two enemies.
I'm one of the ones who didn't enjoy the combat in the first game. If they throw in a real active system (especially inspired by the great combat in Batman:AA), then I'll definitely move this title up my list.
Old 05-13-2011, 10:27 PM   #16
randir14
Subscriber

All Witcher 2 DLC will be free, they want to focus on quality paid expansions. Also there will be free day-1 DLC for everyone, a quest called Troll Trouble:
http://www.neoseeker.com/news/16439-...-will-be-free/
Old 05-13-2011, 11:05 PM   #17
Emabulator
iBlood Donor

Thanks for the onslaught of Witcher 2 info randir14.

I'm in full drool mode!
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 11:57 PM   #18
randir14
Subscriber

No problem, and here is the fifth and final trailer they released today. For some reason Gamepot took forever to upload it
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/thewi...2#toggle_video
Old 05-14-2011, 08:30 AM   #19
pearle
Reaper

Another great trailer. Can't wait til Tuesday.
Old 05-14-2011, 09:40 AM   #20
lockwoodx
Photobomber

For people who have ever complained about shovel ware or big publishers keeping talented studios down, get The Witcher 2, or at least don't steal it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkumaATR View Post
Lock is untouchable though, he's too cool to be targeted, like ever. He's Detroit's Heisenberg!
lockwoodx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
assassins of kings, cd projekt red, the witcher 2