Last post by ElektroDragon
Yesterday 08:36 PM
8 Replies, 1,077 Views
» Promotion

Old 02-24-2011, 08:45 AM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

LEGO Universe Gets the Axe?

This Blog post from Netdevil animator Toby Cochran and a report over at Eurogamer, has the word that NetDevil, developer of LEGO Universe, is cutting staff.

Quote:
Unfortunately a lot of talented folks lost their jobs as we have found out on Facebook! I personally think it's pretty terrible to find news out that way and not to be correctly notified. We all were receiving phone calls tonight and I just got mine about 2 hrs ago.

From what we've been told a handful of artists will be kept on board and continue working on Lego Universe. But at the moment that will be a very, VERY small team. As the count continues to rise on FB, they've cut over 20 people.
Next time you make a LEGO game, remember to make it about building stuff, M'Kay.
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:22 AM   #2
docfate
Evil Dead

Actually, just make it FUN.

I played the beta for about an hour. My boys (HUGE Lego fans) played less than that.

It was boring. Not sure if it got any better as time went on, but I doubt it.
docfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:30 AM   #3
ElektroDragon
Panzermensch!

Good! Maybe now they will stop making Lego games. Gah! What rubbish. If you want to play a good kid's game, try Toy Story 3.
ElektroDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:30 AM   #4
Tintivilo

I was a beta tester for this as well, it wasn't as fun as the licensed LEGO games that have been released and for the price you can buy several of the licensed ones and have hours of fun :P
Old 02-24-2011, 10:04 AM   #5
Capn Crunch
Soul Reaper

The sad thing is, the people who were making this probably thought of and quickly discarded something very close to Minecraft early in their development process. I bet they're kicking themselves.
Capn Crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 10:52 AM   #6
gzsfrk
Punch, brothers, punch!

I think the marketing and management teams who were overseeing the Lego MMOs development looked at the success of the Lego Star Wars, Batman, Indiana, Jones, Harry Potter, et. al. and thought, "Hey! People LOVE these games! So let's make an MMO that plays just like them and people will love that too, and keep giving us more money every month!" Problem is, I'm pretty sure it's mostly younger kids that have been driving the LEGO game sales (although granted, I and many other adults have bought and enjoyed several of them). But young kids AREN'T nearly as likely to get drawn into an ongoing MMO. As for me, while I enjoyed MMOs for awhile, I'm now firmly in the camp that prefers my games as encapsulated experiences with a solid beginning and at least a fairly solid end (still open to cliffhanger endings, prepping for sequels, etc.). Episodic gaming is great for when I want a more open experience. But I've lost just about all interest in games that you can never actually "win".
gzsfrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 10:57 AM   #7
MechaDangerous
Dread Lord

Quite a boring game from what I experienced in the beta. I could see it being somewhat appealing to the younger crowd, but I have to be honest I'm not surprised to see this. I wish the best to all that lost their jobs because of this.
MechaDangerous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 04:02 AM   #8
excalibur1814
Evil Dead

I love the lego games (Even though Indy the adventure continues seems to be dragging) but as soon as I read about the subscription.... No way in heck.
excalibur1814 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lego universe