Last post by Marticus
Today 08:31 PM
7 Replies, 731 Views
» Promotion

Old 02-02-2011, 01:37 PM   #1
Emabulator
iBlood Donor

Star Trek Online 1st Anniversary Trailer

Find out what Cryptic has planned for the game after the break.
Emabulator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 01:37 PM   #2
Emabulator
iBlood Donor

ATARI AND CRYPTIC STUDIOS CELEBRATE STAR TREK ONLINE’S ANNIVERSARY

NEW FEATURE EPISODE SERIES KICKS OFF FESTIVITIES

London – United Kingdom - February 2, 2011 – Atari Europe, one of the world's most recognised publishers and producers of interactive entertainment, and Cryptic Studios, creators of the acclaimed City of Heroes and Champions Online, announced today that the companies are celebrating Star Trek™ Online’s one-year anniversary by releasing a new Feature Episode Series, continuing to discount C-store offers and Lifetime Subscriptions by 20 percent and hosting special in-game events.

Especially for the game’s anniversary, Cryptic and Atari are discounting Lifetime Subscriptions to Star Trek Online by 20 percent. The discount guarantees users perpetual access to Star Trek Online’s universe for £153.99 (excl.VAT). The special promotion ends February 4, 2011.

The Star Trek Online development team will also be celebrating the game’s anniversary in-game with players. Members of the team will make appearances inside the game beginning February 2. The team will challenge faithful players with trivia questions and other events and will hand out special, exclusive rewards to lucky participants.

The Feature Episode Series, “Cloaked Intentions,” centers on the Romulan Star Empire and charges players with preventing a civil war between differing factions inside the Empire. The five-episode series also introduces a new ship type and continues Star Trek Online’s story beyond 2409. The first Episode is set to debut February 5.

Taking place in the year 2409, Star Trek Online boasts extraordinary features and lets fans both new and old experience unparalleled adventures. Players have the opportunity to become high-ranking Starfleet officers and participate in missions that take them into the depths of space, across exotic planets and inside other starships. Star Trek Online offers total customization, from a player's avatar to the ship he captains.

Star Trek Online is a licensed product from CBS Consumer Products. For more information, please visit: www.startrekonline.com and www.atari.com.

To learn more about Feature Episodes, please visit: http://www.startrekonline.com/feature_episodes.
Old 02-02-2011, 03:45 PM   #3
mattlreese
Death Knight

I played this game for about 2 months but found it got boring after a while that and ground missions were horrible.

Anyone still play it? Did all the added features make it any better?
mattlreese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 04:22 PM   #4
revelation
Backlog Slut

Surprised Lockwoodx hasn't been here yet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattlreese View Post
I played this game for about 2 months but found it got boring after a while that and ground missions were horrible.

Anyone still play it? Did all the added features make it any better?
Apparently it is much better, the season...episode...things they do are meant to be a lot of fun, the Forge (user generated content) stuff is going to be great and blah blah blah.

However none of this seems fun enough for me to want to try it again any time soon. If they overhaul the ground missions completely and make the space combat so tedious, I might give it another look.
revelation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 04:31 PM   #5
Emabulator
iBlood Donor

Quote:
Originally Posted by revelation View Post
He probably had to break out the heavy equipment to photobomb this one.
Old 02-02-2011, 04:49 PM   #6
Chimpbot
King Ghidorah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emabulator View Post
Old 02-02-2011, 05:14 PM   #7
lockwoodx
Photobomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by revelation View Post
Sorry about that, but following the new year life keeps getting better and busier so I'm cutting back on posting.

A million subscribers to 100k in a month is all you need to know about STO. It's a niche game with a skeleton crew that seems to want what's in the best interest of its' players but everything from bricking people's video cards to only 25% of the game ready at release has crippled them early on to the point of having to bribe customers with some of the most juicy cannon in the Star Trek Universe then placed it into the C-Store to milk their flocks of sheeple.

Of all the zillions of juicy star trek pictures out there, I choose one that sums up my opinion nicely.

My ultimate revenge being the boob from cryptic support whom I got a refund out of forgot to flip off the switch to my account so I've had a year for free. I check up on STO because I'm a big fan of the franchise and the game is indeed steadily improving but still is far from purchase worthy. By the time STO releases an expansion it may be worth taking another look at, but by then I doubt I'll care.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkumaATR View Post
Lock is untouchable though, he's too cool to be targeted, like ever. He's Detroit's Heisenberg!
lockwoodx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 05:28 PM   #8
lockwoodx
Photobomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emabulator View Post

Quote:
Lock is untouchable though, he's too cool to be targeted, like ever. He's Detroit's Heisenberg!
Old 02-02-2011, 05:37 PM   #9
revelation
Backlog Slut

There he is.

I will probably fail at this, but I thought it was cute...

revelation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 05:46 PM   #10
Emabulator
iBlood Donor

DEFCON 1

COCKED MOUSE

Photobomb is imminent.

Maximum readiness
Old 02-02-2011, 05:50 PM   #11
lockwoodx
Photobomber

Quote:
Old 02-02-2011, 08:03 PM   #12
bean19
Butt Stallion

I bought STO at the end of the Steam holiday sell for $7.50. It was pretty fun, but it has a lot of issues.

-Leveling is not rewarding. You are constantly getting skill points to put into a large number of things, but the boost from them is so negligible that it is hard to tell that you've raised any skills at all. They've made it so that these choices seem fairly meaningless and thus a major part of MMOs (character development) is extremely shallow in STO.

-Itemization is also weak. The only requirements on gear are that you meet the rank requirement. For example, a Captain may not use a laser that is for "Admirals only". This means that you see a jump in gear about ever 10 levels (as well as in your ship), but otherwise, your advancement seems to go at a snail's pace. In any case, the jump in power between them is not all that significant so again, character building is extremely weak in STO.

-Space Combat is pretty good. I often played the same way no matter what strategies the enemy threw at me as it seemed to be the most successful and raising the difficulty level didn't help as I was still able to eventually best enemies on elite difficulty.

-Ground combat is stupid and easy. You can mindlessly pound buttons or use strategy to make fights go more quickly. Either way, they last forever and if you build an away team of engineers with the shield repair skill and the ability to summon turrets, you'll spread out the damage so well that you need not fear any enemy. Add one medic to heal melee dps (which goes through shields) and you can mindlessly hit the attack keys until they are dead. You do get special abilities and flanking enemies helps deal damage, plus specials may cause an enemy to be exposed so that an exploit special attack will deal devastating damage, so following all that IS something to do. . . . I know I do it, and it does make fights go faster, but I don't need it and it is not reliable.

- Repetitive gameplay - all MMOs are repetitive to some degree, but the good ones change the scenery dramatically and give you bosses that require different strategies to beat and/or have strong story elements to keep you invested. STO doesn't do a good job of this due to poor production values in stories (though there are a few exceptions) and some missions that are obviously throw away.

- PvP is messed up - It is fun to play a Klingon. In PvP, your ship is extremely maneuverable and has enormous frontal fire power. Simply aim at the Federation ship you want to devastate and unload on them. As a Federation ship though, you are supposed to lay mines and support one another to stay alive. Reaction heroes versus devastating villains. . . . it's a good concept, but being a hero is much harder than being a villain in practice. I've never been in a Federation ship and won a PvP match or a Klingon ship and lost won. Luckily, the rewards are awesome either way, so it pays to queue up often. Too bad they can't balance it so that it is challenging and fun too.

- Diplomatic missions - most of these were awful. A handful were legitimate logic puzzles like the one over Bajor. That was extremely fun and I'd like to see more like this. However, the fetch and carry ones should be removed.

It's forgettable, but Star Trek fans can get some fun out of it. I definitely enjoyed it for $7.50. They'd have to announce that they've added a ton more content, balanced PvP, and improved production values (much more voice in missions, multi-part missions that play like the television show, more minigames, etc.) for me to try it again though.
bean19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 01:57 AM   #13
Mav
Moderator & Nerd For Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by bean19 View Post
I bought STO at the end of the Steam holiday sell for $7.50. It was pretty fun, but it has a lot of issues.

-Leveling is not rewarding. You are constantly getting skill points to put into a large number of things, but the boost from them is so negligible that it is hard to tell that you've raised any skills at all. They've made it so that these choices seem fairly meaningless and thus a major part of MMOs (character development) is extremely shallow in STO.

-Itemization is also weak. The only requirements on gear are that you meet the rank requirement. For example, a Captain may not use a laser that is for "Admirals only". This means that you see a jump in gear about ever 10 levels (as well as in your ship), but otherwise, your advancement seems to go at a snail's pace. In any case, the jump in power between them is not all that significant so again, character building is extremely weak in STO.

-Space Combat is pretty good. I often played the same way no matter what strategies the enemy threw at me as it seemed to be the most successful and raising the difficulty level didn't help as I was still able to eventually best enemies on elite difficulty.

-Ground combat is stupid and easy. You can mindlessly pound buttons or use strategy to make fights go more quickly. Either way, they last forever and if you build an away team of engineers with the shield repair skill and the ability to summon turrets, you'll spread out the damage so well that you need not fear any enemy. Add one medic to heal melee dps (which goes through shields) and you can mindlessly hit the attack keys until they are dead. You do get special abilities and flanking enemies helps deal damage, plus specials may cause an enemy to be exposed so that an exploit special attack will deal devastating damage, so following all that IS something to do. . . . I know I do it, and it does make fights go faster, but I don't need it and it is not reliable.

- Repetitive gameplay - all MMOs are repetitive to some degree, but the good ones change the scenery dramatically and give you bosses that require different strategies to beat and/or have strong story elements to keep you invested. STO doesn't do a good job of this due to poor production values in stories (though there are a few exceptions) and some missions that are obviously throw away.

- PvP is messed up - It is fun to play a Klingon. In PvP, your ship is extremely maneuverable and has enormous frontal fire power. Simply aim at the Federation ship you want to devastate and unload on them. As a Federation ship though, you are supposed to lay mines and support one another to stay alive. Reaction heroes versus devastating villains. . . . it's a good concept, but being a hero is much harder than being a villain in practice. I've never been in a Federation ship and won a PvP match or a Klingon ship and lost won. Luckily, the rewards are awesome either way, so it pays to queue up often. Too bad they can't balance it so that it is challenging and fun too.

- Diplomatic missions - most of these were awful. A handful were legitimate logic puzzles like the one over Bajor. That was extremely fun and I'd like to see more like this. However, the fetch and carry ones should be removed.

It's forgettable, but Star Trek fans can get some fun out of it. I definitely enjoyed it for $7.50. They'd have to announce that they've added a ton more content, balanced PvP, and improved production values (much more voice in missions, multi-part missions that play like the television show, more minigames, etc.) for me to try it again though.
*cracks knuckles* As an avid fan of STO, been playing since open beta and run one of the few successful STO podcasts, let me chime in;

- Leveling is never "rewarding" in an MMO, in most MMO's its almost always a grind to level, in one form or another. in WoW, its the treadmil to 85. In EvE its sitting back and waiting for skills to level up, in Darkfall its going out and swinging your weapon a few million times. Every MMO has its leveling system. Some traditional, some not so traditional. It really is subjective in terms of "rewarding".

- Items are a bit more open range. I definitely enjoyed hitting each new tier of levels in STO, many late nights trying "to get that one more level" to get a new ship or set of gear. And theres a variety of weapon types, you've got your omgfastdamage in Disruptors or insanely slow moving Tricobolts that take some luck of the draw to hit but when they do, kablooie. Yes you don't get gear "as often" but there is a big difference between Epic gear (purples) compared to Uncommon (greens), big enough to make you say "hey, thats a decent upgrade, I'll use that".

- Space combat depends on what you are doing. If you are doing your generic Defend Sector missions, those are straight up Tank n Spanks. If you want more of a space challenge, check out some of the Weekly Episodes. The last one to hit prior to Christmas had a very difficult ending where you had to juggle waves of enemy ships, while attempting to stop an asteroid from hitting a planet, and yea it wasn't easy, as you'd have to run back in forth and not die in the process.

- I will agree Ground Combat needs work. Primarily in terms of some form of anti-stun or anti-snare mechanics. Besides that, I think its on par for what it is. They really did a good job with letting the AI run 4 allies for you, and if that doesn't suit your taste you can control them. If missions take too long, put more Tactical Officers in your group, you get 4 Tacts and 1 Med on a team, let the 4 Tacts summon Red Shirts, each of them activate their recharge skill that resets all abilities and resummon Red Shirts, you can instantly have 32 Away Team members lol. It's a one shot deal since theres like a 4 minute CD on it but if you need to dish out DPS fast? Tactical on Ground Combat, rocks.

- PvP just needs more incentive. You do know you don't have to fight Klingon vs Fed right? You can do Klingon vs Klingon and Fed vs Fed, so it doubles your choices for pvp right there. You can also set up specific matches too, with groups as small as 1 vs 1 or up to 10 vs 10, you can mix and match Klingons and Feds on a team, you can set up tournaments, there are great options for PvP. But as said for ground combat, certain mechanics need changes (perma-stun kinda sucks).

- Diplomatic missions were highly sought after by the community. Half of the dream of the Federation is a peaceful existence so being able to level up doing non-combat was great. Does running X, Y, Z around suck? Sure but if you want a non-combat method of leveling up, you can. And there are specific rewards for doing so, achievements, titles, etc

You forget to mention all of the cool stuff thats in STO now

- The Foundry, an insanely indepth mod tool that lets you make missions. Not just missions but you can create new races, entire star systems, planets, etc. Imagine the SC2 mod tool, but in full 3D and full of Trek lore / canon. Its been awesome so far.

- Weekly Episodes, on-going PvE storyarcs that unfold like a episode of the show would, with some real good stories and characters and good rewards.

- They are adding new ships, new races, etc all the time. And yea a lot of it goes into their micro transaction store first, pretty much everything in the store you can earn in-game in some fashion.

- Indepth character creation. I've yet to really see the same toon twice, unless you're playing as a default race.

- STO won every award for MMOs in 2010. Massively.com, Becket Magazine, etc all voted STO best MMO of 2010, it beat out every thing else.

Is it one of the best MMOs out there? Maybe maybe not. But its fun, I like Star Trek a lot, I can log in a few times awake and go pewpewpew on my Defiant and get that Trek feel I had as a kid in the 80's.
Raptr mavgeek
Twitter @Maverickroll
Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 02:02 AM   #14
Radiozo
Evil Dead

I might pick it up again if they add Ferengi and trading missions. I would love to just fly around the galaxy trading stuff. Sort of like the good old Elite back in the day.
Radiozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 02:09 AM   #15
Mav

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiozo View Post
I might pick it up again if they add Ferengi and trading missions. I would love to just fly around the galaxy trading stuff. Sort of like the good old Elite back in the day.
I hate to dash your dream but.. if they ever did it, it would be a long while.

We already know the next playable faction will be Romulans, confirmed. After that, possibly Cardassians.

You can play as a Ferengi, in the Federation since the Ferengi Alliance joined the Federation, or at least opened up their citizens to becoming Starfleet Officers. Since Grand Nagus Rom reformed Feregenar at the end of DS9, they aren't as big into black market profit as they were before.

Not to say it will never happen but, they are slowly finishing the Klingon faction, and with Romulans next it will be a long, long time before they ever consider a Ferengi faction.
Raptr mavgeek
Twitter @Maverickroll
Old 02-03-2011, 02:13 AM   #16
Anenome
Autarchist

If your MMO needs to be defended in the first place, chances are you've already lost.
Anenome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 03:00 AM   #17
Mav

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anenome View Post
If your MMO needs to be defended in the first place, chances are you've already lost.
Every MMO needs to be defended because every MMO caters to a specific niche of the MMO playerbase. Even WoW, being the most popular with 12 million players worldwide, needs defending by people who say its far to easy, too carebear, etc

It really depends on how you look at it. You name an MMO on the market now and I can name flaws with it that fans of that MMO would "defend".
Raptr mavgeek
Twitter @Maverickroll
Old 02-03-2011, 01:25 PM   #18
Alexious
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav View Post
*cracks knuckles* As an avid fan of STO, been playing since open beta and run one of the few successful STO podcasts, let me chime in...VERY LONG POST
You think this is bad? Don't even get him started on Heroes of Newerth.

I kid, I kid...
Old 02-03-2011, 01:37 PM   #19
Alexious
Evil Dead

Back on topic...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav View Post
...Leveling is never "rewarding" in an MMO, in most MMO's its almost always a grind to level, in one form or another. in WoW, its the treadmil to 85. In EvE its sitting back and waiting for skills to level up, in Darkfall its going out and swinging your weapon a few million times. Every MMO has its leveling system. Some traditional, some not so traditional. It really is subjective in terms of "rewarding"...
I disagree, and I think it's the main thing that STO got wrong.

Every update that gets released for WoW, the event of gaining a level get even better. In 2006, it was your basic "DING" message. If you play Cataclysm, there is an entire range of events that happen. You get specific messages detailing your new abilities. The UI literally walks you through all the new things you can do. You instantly feel stronger and the game explains why.

Contrast that with STO. Granted, I played in beta and at launch, but still... what happens when you ding? If you know where to look (and this was so badly explained I never did understand what I was doing) you can add points to a bar that does... well, something. I guess my ship turns 2% faster now? The entire system was so wrong that when I gained a level I would shrug and just keep going.

And then I have to level my officers as well? How does that work? On top of all of this nonsense, there was nowhere to turn online to find satisfactory answers. I'm sure they have wiki's now, but man... it was just way too complicated right off the bat. Sure, WoW's endgame is complicated, but in the beginning its as simple as can be.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:36 PM   #20
Anenome
Autarchist

WoW doesn't need to be defended, its success speaks for itself.
Anenome is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
atari, cryptic studios, lockwood wins again, lockwoodx was right, somebody wants lockwoodx, star trek online