Last post by Juan
Today 04:45 AM
5 Replies, 897 Views
» Promotion

Old 01-24-2011, 08:24 AM   #1
Emabulator
iBlood Donor

Magic: The Gathering - Tactics (PC) Released

Sony Online Entertainment has announced the release of its 'free-to-play' online tactical strategy game, Magic: The Gathering - Tactics.

Quote:
Magic: The Gathering - Tactics, a free-to-play online tactical strategy game from Sony Online Entertainment LLC (SOE), in collaboration with Wizards of the Coast LLC, is now available for download on the PC at www.MagicTheGatheringTactics.com. Magic: The Gathering - Tactics puts players worldwide in the role of a Planeswalker, a powerful mage commanding devastating spells and iconic creatures from all five colors of Magic in intense online tactical battles set across richly illustrated 3D environments.
Click on the headline to read the entire press release.
Emabulator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 08:24 AM   #2
Emabulator
iBlood Donor

The Free to Download and Play Strategy Game Invites Players to Experience a New Dimension of Magic

Denver, Colo. - January 24, 2011 - Magic: The Gathering - Tactics™, a free-to-play online tactical strategy game from Sony Online Entertainment LLC (SOE), in collaboration with Wizards of the Coast LLC, is now available for download on the PC at www.MagicTheGatheringTactics.com. Magic: The Gathering - Tactics puts players worldwide in the role of a Planeswalker, a powerful mage commanding devastating spells and iconic creatures from all five colors of Magic™ in intense online tactical battles set across richly illustrated 3D environments.

"Working to expand the boundaries of the world's best-known trading card game - a game I've played and loved for years - has been our goal from the very beginning to capture each enchanting aspect of the Magic franchise - the challenge, collectability and fierce competitiveness - into one fantastic online community," said John Smedley, president of Sony Online Entertainment. "By bringing Magic's Planeswalkers and iconic creatures such as Mahamoti Djinn, Nightmare, Bogardan Hellkite and Force of Nature to a 3D animated, tactical battlefield, we're continuing the storied tradition that has mesmerized Magic fans for years while introducing the world of online gamers to the magic of the Multiverse."

Developed and published by SOE, creators of the critically acclaimed EverQuest and recently launched DC Universe™ Online, Magic: The Gathering - Tactics re-imagines the world-renowned trading card game as never before. From implementing the righteous powers of White mana and painting with the illusions of Blue, to embracing the amorality behind Black, the fury of Red or the natural force of Green - Tactics players will tap a universe of power to defeat both AI and online opponents.

Gamers can compete online against other players from around the globe in head-to-head battles or in competitive tournaments, or face the challenging chapters of the game's story-driven single-player campaign. Players can level up their own unique Planeswalker avatar as they build powerful spellbooks with in-game booster packs available for purchase. In addition, Tactics players can progress through color-based talent trees, purchase additional campaign chapters or enter massive online tournaments with top-tier spells and unique prizes at stake.

Magic: The Gathering - Tactics offers a number of features, including:
  • A New Experience: Characters, creatures, spells and settings from the rich world of Magic, fully realized in 3D.
  • Unleashing the Power: As a powerful Planeswalker, players cast devastating spells such as Fireball, Doom Blade, Pacifism and Lightning Bolt, and control incredible creatures like Serra Angel, Lord of the Pit, Colossus of Sardia or Reya Dawnbringer.
  • Tournament Battles: Connect and combat online against legions of gamers worldwide for intense battles of complex strategy in both casual and tournament formats.
  • Free Access to the World of Magic: Begin your journey as a Planeswalker in Magic: The Gathering - Tactics and start battling right away for free.
Magic: The Gathering - Tactics is rated T for Teen, with content descriptors for Mild Blood and Fantasy Violence.

To access Magic: The Gathering - Tactics please visit: www.MagicTheGatheringTactics.com.
Emabulator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 09:07 AM   #3
halfbent
Evil Dead

Oooh, I was going to go look and see today when this was going to come out. =P
Old 01-24-2011, 12:33 PM   #4
Metal Khaos
Evil Dead

Grabbing this sucker now. SavageButchery is name.
Metal Khaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 01:47 PM   #5
NuK
Evil Dead

there is a truly epic and large world to draw from...

There needs to be a full fledged RPG in this world. I would buy it.
Old 01-24-2011, 02:35 PM   #6
halfbent
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuK View Post
there is a truly epic and large world to draw from...

There needs to be a full fledged RPG in this world. I would buy it.
The Shandalar game is still pretty fun to play, the fan community put out a release that fixes and added a LOT to it.

http://www.slightlymagic.net/forum/v...hp?f=76&t=2349

Name in Tactics is halfbent, if you want to friend me up and possibly get a game or two in. I'm sure I'll be playing at least a couple a day.
Old 01-24-2011, 02:38 PM   #7
Zurik
Evil Dead

Calling this game free to play is a joke. You have to buy boosters AND new single player levels. Otherwise you only get one level a day for free. Its actually more expensive than Magic the Gathering Online. Its too bad, because the first level was pretty fun, but I'm not dumping 60+ dollars for a supposed free game.
Zurik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 08:59 PM   #8
halfbent
Evil Dead

I've had no problem playing more than one single player level? Does it limit your VS games, is that what you mean?
Old 01-24-2011, 10:23 PM   #9
Ibby1kanobi
Squire

You can only play the first chapter of single player, gotta buy the other 4. Also, if you decide to play VS, it pits non-payers against payers, and you get absolutely demolished. It's not fun at all.

Basically, you HAVE to pay to be able to actually play anything other than a taster. Worst game ever.
Ibby1kanobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:58 PM   #10
Anenome
Autarchist

They're foolish to set it up like that. Non-payees should be like 95% competitive. Paying should get you that last bits of marginal performance that make you just barely dominant. That way it's less transparent and still fun.
Anenome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 09:10 AM   #11
chinco
Peon

This game was ok, but if you really want to enjoy it you have to dump quite a bit of money into it. The single player campaign is short and you're really given just a bunch of junk to play with (I guess to entice you to buy the good cards). If you enjoy the single player campaign you can buy more of it.

So to summarize, this game is a huge black hole for your money. And only kind of fun.
chinco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 01:36 PM   #12
Zane
Subscriber

Anything MTG related (or collectible card game related) is a huge money pit.
Zane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:40 PM   #13
TwistedNipple13
Lord

I was thinking about trying this, used to play Magic years ago. But after reading all of you're criticisms I'll have to pass.
Steam ID
TwistedNipple13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 10:12 PM   #14
Jotoco
Evil Dead

And it did crash before loading every time to me, without any support solution.

So, unninstalled and glad I did.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:49 PM   #15
Anenome
Autarchist

I've still got a grip of my brothers magic collection. Ebay here I come.
Anenome is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
magic: the gathering, soe, sony online entertainment, tactics, wizards of the coast