Last post by Anenome
Yesterday 11:00 PM
9 Replies, 725 Views
» Promotion

Old 07-11-2010, 08:30 AM   #1
Emabulator
iBlood Donor

Civilization V Special Edition Announced

2K Games has announced the Special Edition of Firaxis Games' upcoming strategy game, Sid Meier's Civilization V.

Quote:
New York, NY - July 9, 2010 - 2K Games announced today the Sid Meier's Civilization® V Special Edition, a robust retail package that contains collectable items and exclusive access to behind-the scenes content, will be available starting September 21, 2010 alongside the standard retail edition in North America for $99.99. In development at 2K's world-renowned Firaxis Games studio, Sid Meier's Civilization V is the next entry to the original turn-based strategy franchise that reinvents the addictive "just one more turn" formula with a plethora of exciting new additions and enhancements.

In addition to a copy of the highly anticipated game, the following elements are included in the Civilization V Special Edition:
  • 5 metal figurines based on units from Civilization V, manufactured by Reaper Miniatures
  • 2-disc CD soundtrack of game score selections
  • DVD "Behind-the-Scenes at Firaxis on Civilization V"
  • 176-page hardcover art book
Click on the headline to read the entire press release.
Emabulator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 08:30 AM   #2
Emabulator
iBlood Donor

New York, NY - July 9, 2010 - 2K Games announced today the Sid Meier's Civilization® V Special Edition, a robust retail package that contains collectable items and exclusive access to behind-the scenes content, will be available starting September 21, 2010 alongside the standard retail edition in North America for $99.99. In development at 2K's world-renowned Firaxis Games studio, Sid Meier's Civilization V is the next entry to the original turn-based strategy franchise that reinvents the addictive "just one more turn" formula with a plethora of exciting new additions and enhancements.

In addition to a copy of the highly anticipated game, the following elements are included in the Civilization V Special Edition:
  • 5 metal figurines based on units from Civilization V, manufactured by Reaper Miniatures
  • 2-disc CD soundtrack of game score selections
  • DVD "Behind-the-Scenes at Firaxis on Civilization V"
  • 176-page hardcover art book
Civilization V takes this definitive strategy game series in new directions with the introduction of hexagon tiles allowing for deeper strategy, more realistic gameplay and stunning organic landscapes for players to explore as they expand their empire. The brand new engine orchestrates a spectacular visual experience that brings players closer to the Civ experience than ever, featuring fully animated leaders interacting with players from a screen-filling diplomatic scene and speaking in their native language for the first time. Wars between empires feel massive as armies dominate the landscape and combat is more exciting and intense than ever before. The addition of ranged bombardment allows players to fire weapons from behind the front lines, challenging players to develop clever new strategies to guarantee victory on the battlefield. In addition to the new gameplay features debuting in Civilization V, an extensive suite of community, modding and multiplayer elements will also make an appearance.

Civilization V took the world by storm during E3 2010, earning numerous awards from the industry's top writers, including Best Strategy Game (E3 Critics Awards), Best Strategy Game (IGN.com), Best Strategy Game (Machinima), Best PC Game (Game Informer.com), Best Strategy Game (Game Informer.com), Best Strategy Game (1UP.com) and more.

Sid Meier's Civilization V is rated E10+ (Everyone 10 and older) by the ESRB. For more information, please visit www.civilization5.com
Old 07-11-2010, 08:31 AM   #3
Emabulator
iBlood Donor

I like the five metal figurines. It would be nice if more special/collector's editions came with metal figurines.
Old 07-11-2010, 08:48 AM   #4
Syl
Evil Dead

I'm such a whore, i think i may actually buy this.
Syl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 08:59 AM   #5
Sarconix
Radiant Historian

Uh... double the price??? Make it $20 or $30 more, but $50 is asking too much.
Sarconix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 09:10 AM   #6
net7runner
Subscriber

Is that a.....mech? Interesting.
net7runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 09:28 AM   #7
Syl
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarconix View Post
Uh... double the price??? Make it $20 or $30 more, but $50 is asking too much.
I guess you don't understand how much a hardcover art book and metal figurines normally cost by themselves...
Old 07-11-2010, 11:53 AM   #8
Emabulator
iBlood Donor

Quote:
Originally Posted by net7runner View Post
Is that a.....mech? Interesting.
That caught my eye too. Interesting indeed.
Old 07-11-2010, 12:33 PM   #9
Furious Wang
Tu-Wang Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syl View Post
I guess you don't understand how much a hardcover art book and metal figurines normally cost by themselves...
I guess you have no idea what you're talking about...
Furious Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 12:36 PM   #10
Capt_Thad
Do a Barrell Roll

heh Pretty cool, but a little pricey. heh Just have too many gaming expenses in that release area... Think I'll have to regrettably pass it up. Two games trumps a game and collectibles, and I'm a guy who loves collectibles.
Old 07-11-2010, 04:40 PM   #11
KlausFlouride
Poisoned 2 my rotten core

Yet another CE to through on the pile. I look to have a massive eBay auction when I retire. I have 30 or so CE's still in shrink wrap that I never opened going back to Planescape: Torment.
Old 07-11-2010, 04:42 PM   #12
Nighthawk
Evil Dead

I have a really interesting idea. How about in these collectors editions give us a REAL manual??? One that meticulously diagrams the tech tree, the units, etc. If this collectors edition included that, I would buy it in a heatbeat, even at $100. I am sorry, but its one of the most overlooked things these days. I know its "wasteful" and the Civopedia works very well, but if I am willing to shell out the bucks for it, then give me a REAL manual.

I think part of the reason I enjoyed some of the old games like Simcity, SimFarm, Falcon, LHX Attack Chopper, Mechwarrior, etc. was that they had such rich and indepth manuals. I may still end up buying this collection just because of my rabid fanboism for all things Sid/Civ, but in the future please give us REAL manuals, not just the shitty little install booklet that is in a DVD case.
Nighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 05:59 PM   #13
Anenome
Autarchist

Anenome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 08:19 PM   #14
Demo_Boy
@DemoEvolved on Twitter

As fond as I am of the series, and like what I ve heard of the design changes, im still gonna need a demo to convince me.
Demo_Boy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 08:49 PM   #15
Syl
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk View Post
I have a really interesting idea. How about in these collectors editions give us a REAL manual??? One that meticulously diagrams the tech tree, the units, etc. If this collectors edition included that, I would buy it in a heatbeat, even at $100. I am sorry, but its one of the most overlooked things these days. I know its "wasteful" and the Civopedia works very well, but if I am willing to shell out the bucks for it, then give me a REAL manual.

I think part of the reason I enjoyed some of the old games like Simcity, SimFarm, Falcon, LHX Attack Chopper, Mechwarrior, etc. was that they had such rich and indepth manuals. I may still end up buying this collection just because of my rabid fanboism for all things Sid/Civ, but in the future please give us REAL manuals, not just the shitty little install booklet that is in a DVD case.
Civ IV CE came with a huge fucking spiral bound manual, nearly 200 pages long. As well as a gigantic ass tech-tree and unit diagram (depending on which side it was on)
Warlords also came with a 120 page manual.

I used to have the CIV IV tech-tree on my wall until it got outdated by the other two expansions. (I just opened up my lovely little Civ IV "book" and checked these out)
Old 07-11-2010, 09:35 PM   #16
ElektroDragon
Panzermensch!

Not interested. Civ III CE was one of the last PC game CEs I bought. I think the very last was Sacred 2 CE.
Old 07-11-2010, 10:00 PM   #17
Anenome
Autarchist

Agreed, I haven't been interested in playing another Civ since Civ 3.
Anenome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 10:04 PM   #18
Syl
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anenome View Post
Agreed, I haven't been interested in playing another Civ since Civ 3.
Civ IV was the superior Civilization game. Superior to all other civilization games, and therefore, almost any other game ever made.
Old 07-12-2010, 07:50 AM   #19
Butters66
Evil Dead

Quote:
Civ IV was the superior Civilization game. Superior to all other civilization games, and therefore, almost any other game ever made.
Agreed.

I really liked how my religion spread and took over the world.

Did that just put me on an FBI/ATF watch list?
Butters66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 08:30 AM   #20
Emabulator
iBlood Donor

Quote:
One game to rule them all.

Tags
2k games, civilization v, firaxis games, sid meier's