Last post by Emabulator
Today 12:34 PM
0 Replies, 287 Views
» Promotion

Old 05-19-2010, 09:02 PM   #1
StormBringer
Chaos Born, Balance Used

Apple's Got Heart, Sorta

ABC News in Palo Alto, California reports reversal of Apple's "No Soup For You Policy":

Quote:
Apple stepped up to the plate Wednesday, responding to a 7 On Your Side report about a woman who tried to buy an iPad using her carefully saved up money, only to be told she could not pay with cash. The story caused outcry all across the country and Wednesday Apple not only changed its policy, it provided a happy ending to the story.

Remember Diane Campbell? She saved up her money to buy an iPad only to be turned away. The Apple Store said she could not use cash, only a debit or credit card. She said a clerk told her it was to prevent iPads from reaching the black market.
Gee Whiz, Apple's paranoid and sweet! Simply Amazing.
StormBringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 09:05 PM   #2
Johan
sub-$20 Gamer

They're not sweet, they're scared of bad p.r. If the story had never been reported, she would be sitting on her little envelope of money at home, wondering how the hell she can give Apple her money to get a damn iPad.
Johan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 09:15 PM   #3
StormBringer
Chaos Born, Balance Used

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormBringer View Post
ABC News in Palo Alto, California reports reversal of Apple's "No Soup For You Policy":

Come on, Johan, it's called sarcasm.

Also Apple need to refresh themselves on what is written on a FRN:

"This note is legal tender for all debts, public and private."
Old 05-19-2010, 09:18 PM   #4
Fortyseven
Evil Dead

Question

It's been a while since I created my account, but don't you need a credit card to create an account to access the app store? Even for free stuff?

(Assuming she doesn't jailbreak it, of course.)
Fortyseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 09:21 PM   #5
Dag-Sabot
Evil Dead

Feel good story of the year.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:43 PM   #6
donkeydrop
Evil Dead

Quote:

Check around (Amazon, eBay, etc); you can make 15-20% on iPad's easy. With a margin like that resellers/flippers are on it like flies on stink.
donkeydrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 09:43 PM   #7
shadow763
Tarnished Optimism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortyseven View Post
It's been a while since I created my account, but don't you need a credit card to create an account to access the app store? Even for free stuff?

(Assuming she doesn't jailbreak it, of course.)
Well you can use paypal now, which technically can be used with a bank account. Although apparently she doesnt have one of those or she would have a debit card.

Bad PR or not, I have read stories about Apple giving out free stuff in the past just for sending them an email or letter and sharing their story. I dont know if this is a widespread practice with all major corporations or not, but if something is brought up, they tend to fix it above and beyond a lot of places I have dealt with.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:47 PM   #8
donkeydrop
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortyseven View Post
Yes. She could also use one of the many services that will give you a one time card number, or walk into Best Buy.
donkeydrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 09:51 PM   #9
White667
Evil Dead

Surely it's illegal to not accept cash money. Legal Tender and all that Jazz.

Pish, silly Americans.

[21:58:33] <lost> Problem is, Americans have too many guns and not enough brains to use them effectively
White667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 10:18 PM   #10
StormBringer
Chaos Born, Balance Used

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkeydrop View Post
Check around (Amazon, eBay, etc); you can make 15-20% on iPad's easy. With a margin like that resellers/flippers are on it like flies on stink.
So? It's not illegal to buy something for cash, and then re-sell it for a profit.

Your point being?
Old 05-20-2010, 03:22 AM   #11
cmckinla
Dread Lord

"Legal tender for all debts public and private". Prior to the sale no debt exists, so Apple has the right to refuse the cash.
cmckinla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 03:24 AM   #12
Orz
Subscriber

Quote:
Come on, Johan, it's called sarcasm.

Also Apple need to refresh themselves on what is written on a FRN:

"This note is legal tender for all debts, public and private."
Well....

Quote:
Question I thought that United States currency was legal tender for all debts. Some businesses or governmental agencies say that they will only accept checks, money orders or credit cards as payment, and others will only accept currency notes in denominations of $20 or smaller. Isn't this illegal?

Answer The pertinent portion of law that applies to your question is the Coinage Act of 1965, specifically Section 31 U.S.C. 5103, entitled "Legal tender," which states: "United States coins and currency (including Federal reserve notes and circulating notes of Federal reserve banks and national banks) are legal tender for all debts, public charges, taxes, and dues."

This statute means that all United States money as identified above are a valid and legal offer of payment for debts when tendered to a creditor. There is, however, no Federal statute mandating that a private business, a person or an organization must accept currency or coins as for payment for goods and/or services. Private businesses are free to develop their own policies on whether or not to accept cash unless there is a State law which says otherwise. For example, a bus line may prohibit payment of fares in pennies or dollar bills. In addition, movie theaters, convenience stores and gas stations may refuse to accept large denomination currency (usually notes above $20) as a matter of policy.
Source: US Treasury Department
Orz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 03:47 AM   #13
Apex
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johan View Post
They're not sweet, they're scared of bad p.r. If the story had never been reported, she would be sitting on her little envelope of money at home, wondering how the hell she can give Apple her money to get a damn iPad.
Quoted for truth. Well semi truth, not so much sacred of bad P.R. as love a good P.R. opportunity i'd say.

Reading that article and the choice quotes it almost looked like Apple wanted to shout "IN YOUR FACE DIANE CAMPBELL" to the media. Two angels from the Holy Apple corporation descended to grant a mere mortal a wish and helped her, and I quote, 'change the world'.
Old 05-20-2010, 04:05 AM   #14
StormBringer
Chaos Born, Balance Used

Orz, two comments:

1. I stand enlightened, thank you.

2. You have way too much time on your hands.
Old 05-20-2010, 04:31 AM   #15
Xarcara
Dread Lord

im confused how does not accepting cash prevent someone from reselling "on the blackmarket"
Xarcara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 05:42 AM   #16
Roc Ingersol
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xarcara View Post
im confused how does not accepting cash prevent someone from reselling "on the blackmarket"
They log all the sales by billing address/card number to enforce a maximum purchase quantity per person. Buy X iPads in your home state and they'll refuse to sell you the next one. (They won't even tell you what the threshold is.)

Anyway, they can't do that unless they have some semblance of a hook into who's buying them.

It's a 100% bullshit policy, but it's up to people to vote with their dollars.

That said, I don't think the Best Buy mini-stores are wired into this and Walmart sure won't be. (smart money has Walmart selling the tablets by next year)
Roc Ingersol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 05:44 AM   #17
Roc Ingersol
Evil Dead

Sorry, that "home state" bit was extraneous.

I was drafting up a longer example to show that it's a nationwide system. So you can't just go to a different store or even state to get around the quantity limit. But then I took out the rest of the example.

But there's no edit. So now y'all get it in two posts.
Roc Ingersol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 11:14 AM   #18
SwitchBlade_Jax
Evil Dead

Well, if you really had the money to invest here's what you do: Buy two of the iPads, resell one and break the other. Any time they try to say they won't sell you a new one, wave the broken one around and demand they sell you one. I don't see how they could deny you if yours legitamely doesn't work. Even if they do they will look like an ass in front of all their customers atleast.

Or prepaid Visa's. No names on there.
SwitchBlade_Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 04:19 PM   #19
LilAbner
Evil Dead

Really, who doesn't take cash?!

Romans 6:23
LilAbner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 03:16 AM   #20
Anenome
Autarchist

There can't possibly be an actual black market for Ipads. Whole thing is ridiculous.
Anenome is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
apple, ipad