Last post by VenomUSMC
Today 09:13 AM
84 Replies, 4,500 Views
» Promotion

Old 04-04-2006, 09:41 AM   #1
bapenguin
Beware of my Power Bands

Bethesda Responds to Horse Armor Backlash

Pete Hines from Bethesda Software was kind enough to answer a few question and shed some light on the whole Horse Armor Spectacle.

Quote:
bapenguin: It seems there's been quite a bit of backlash from the $2.50 horse armor skins. What's your take on it?

Pete Hines: Honestly there's not a lot of info out there for us to go on. We tried to find a spot for it that fit with what other things were out there. A Theme costs 150 points. The Kameo thing was 200. We're trying to find the right spot that fits. How much is something you can use in the game worth versus a gamer picture pack, or a theme, and so on.

bapenguin: Any chance that we'll see a change in the price structure because of this? Or has it been selling well enough at the current price point that you guys are happy?

Pete Hines: Will they all be priced the same? I don't know. We're not even a day into this right now. We've got a couple more we're working on finishing and testings and will release in the next couple of weeks. We want to put some different things out there and find out what folks want and what they don't want. These are optional things, not requirements, so if you don't want to get them you don't have to.

bapenguin: What about free mods on the 360? Will we be seeing any of the popular PC mods from the user community showing up on Live?

Pete Hines: Right now we don't have plans to do any free mods. We don't ever get involved with fan-created content, on any platform, so taking some of that and releasing it on Live is not something we'd ever do.
Pete brings up a good point relating to content already out there. I completely forgot about the Kameo "winter pack" thing which was the same price. That "content" is pretty much the same as what Bethesda is offering. It's good to hear that a variety of stuff is in the works.

Last edited by Evil Avatar; 04-04-2006 at 11:07 AM..
bapenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 09:45 AM   #2
bapenguin
Beware of my Power Bands

Kind of puts things in perspective, this is new ground here and they only had a few items to go by and base this on. Hopefully the prices will be driven eventually once more and more content comes out and is more or less "competing" for our dollar.
Old 04-04-2006, 09:47 AM   #3
dotbomb
Evil Dead

Stand up guys to address it for sure. Sounds reasonable from a "testing the market" perspective. I'd never buy it personally but plenty of people might and why shouldn't a company explore that market?

Quote:
If I can get a "Perfect" in any fighting game, I just remove my pants immediately.

LongStepMantis
dotbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 09:47 AM   #4
Wolfgang
Evil Dead

This seems like a chance for gamers to vote with their dollars and make a difference.

-- I do not own Oblivion, but if I did I would not buy this horse armor.
Old 04-04-2006, 09:50 AM   #5
Rakael
Whambulance Driver

It is really great of them not to run and hide behing form letters.

Gamertag - Rakael
WAR - Rakael - Sylvania/Order
Rakael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 09:51 AM   #6
joruussuun
EvAv Comic Creator

The Oblivion Downloads page is the one for PC Official Plug-ins... it has the Horse Pack and two other plug-ins for $1.99 each. I don't have a XBOX 360 so I can't check if they are available, but I would assume these two other plug-ins would be next for Live Download on the 360.
Old 04-04-2006, 09:52 AM   #7
slink-jadranko
Evil Dead

A company who talks about things? I'm beginning to really like Bethesda...
Anyway, I doubt I'll go for this, PC version mind, but I guess fi other things, and only a couple at that have gone on Live for about the same price it makes sense for them to go from there. I'd like to see them go for free like the official mods for Morrowind did, but who can really gripe?
Old 04-04-2006, 09:53 AM   #8
NoName
Banned - Am not!

There's a difference with Kameo and Oblivion though, how often do you hear people talk about all the awesome Kameo mods? Elder Scrolls has become known for modding, and so if someone says there's mods on Live, it gets attention.
NoName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 09:53 AM   #9
Thenetcase
Evil Dead

I don't quite understand what xBox360 users are whining about. At least they don't have to wait 6 months for an "expansion pack" that'll cost $30. They can get their content live now... for a nominal amount of money. If you're whining over $2.50, you seriously need help.

-TNC-
Old 04-04-2006, 09:55 AM   #10
reimomo
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by bapenguin
Kind of puts things in perspective, this is new ground here and they only had a few items to go by and base this on. Hopefully the prices will be driven eventually once more and more content comes out and is more or less "competing" for our dollar.
I respect the guy for coming out and addressing this... but "the xbox marketplace is flooded with worthless high cost items so we set our moderately worthwhile professional work at a high cost" doesn't really sell me. Hopefully they reduce content costs so that they can do cool things they want to and get paid for them (meaning enough regular people buy it).

BAP, did you ask him whether this distribution system would/could ever be used to allow high quality community mod creaters to make a few bucks, like what they did in NWN at the end? Now that you and he are like this || any chance you could find out? (seems to me you asked him if free PC mods would be available for free on xbox, not the same thing)

While I want to see bethesda make bank by providing valueable mods to the community, I think everyone wins when high quality "amatuers" can make a few hundred bucks off of what they do (or, god help them, a living. I've no clue how any of the semi-pro campaign creators in NWN made out).
reimomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 09:56 AM   #11
Savok
Still a Virgin

4 mods would be $10 TNC, it adds up pretty fucking quick.
Savok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 09:59 AM   #12
jeffool
Hero.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slink-jadranko
A company who talks about things? I'm beginning to really like Bethesda...
hah, and I hope more people come out of this with that opinion. I'm still a little offput, not by the existence of a fee, but the pricepoint for the content given. Ah well.
Old 04-04-2006, 10:02 AM   #13
bapenguin
Beware of my Power Bands

Quote:
Originally Posted by reimomo
BAP, did you ask him whether this distribution system would/could ever be used to allow high quality community mod creaters to make a few bucks, like what they did in NWN at the end? Now that you and he are like this || any chance you could find out? (seems to me you asked him if free PC mods would be available for free on xbox, not the same thing)
No I did not, but he pretty much answers in in the last part by saying they aren't getting involved at all with user created content. Whether or not MS somehow allows this through another channel or something is yet to be seen though.
Old 04-04-2006, 10:03 AM   #14
Kefkataran
Die trying

It's cool that they come out and talk about it, as everyone has said, even if I still think the price is silly and would never spend that much on something so useless. The other two additions Bethesda has actually seem like they could potentially be worth the two bucks for the PC version, though, so I'll think about those.
Old 04-04-2006, 10:04 AM   #15
askheaves
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thenetcase
[..]If you're whining over $2.50, you seriously need help.
We're not whining, we're giving constructive feedback.

Besides, if we just silently sulked off into the night and didn't buy the $2.50 texture, Bethesda wouldn't know why and they may assume nobody is buying stuff off of MSLM. This would spread to other games until the choice whether or not to buy content gets made for us from the supply side.

This is a matchmaking process between content providers and consumers to find out what we will buy. If you want crap for options, don't give feedback.
askheaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 10:05 AM   #16
Borys
Thank You, Loki!

Translation:

Quote:
bap: This is a rip-off. What do you say?

PR Guy: You think *this* is a rip-off? I wonder what will you say when we flood the market with armors, shields, helmets, sowrds and other crap, $2.50 each. You want a new armor, horse and a sword? $7.50, dude, no less and that's only the beginning!

bap: Okay, I don't need to buy this crap anyway, how about those awesome gameplay enchanting PC mods like difficulty scaler, bag of holding etc.? I want to download them for my 360 version.

PR Guy: Sorry dude, free stuff stays on the PC. It would be illegal for us to charge for this and giving away something for free is only for losers like Epic, Gas Powered Games and Black Isle!

[... dark Deus Ex music kicks in ... ]

They are living in the past, WE are the future!
He is a good PR guy, though, got to admit that.

Last edited by Borys; 04-04-2006 at 10:10 AM..
Borys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 10:05 AM   #17
Savok
Still a Virgin

Hey Bap, if you get hold of him again, ask him when the 3D Max Exporter is coming out so people can add their own models in game. Of course, that's if they aren't holding it back to make us pay for shit.
Savok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 10:06 AM   #18
Roc Ingersol
Evil Dead

"There's all sorts of overpriced shit on XBL Marketplace" is not an excuse.

Did Bethesda make a 10 hour so-so RPG experience?
They coulda shrugged and said: "Hey, people pay $50 for Black and Fable, right? How are we to know what the 'right price' for this kind of content is?"

No. They raised the damn bar. They respected the audience and set out to rock their freakin socks off.

That is why gamers feel so wronged.
They thought Bethesda was different, and the Horse Armor thing is calling them a sucker.
Roc Ingersol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 10:09 AM   #19
Taco
Cynic

That was quick, nice job Bap.

Still really doesn't mean much though.
Old 04-04-2006, 10:14 AM   #20
TrackZero
秘密のプロジェクト

Good to see them respond to this. Though there's no way I'm paying for horse armor like that. To me, a theme that I'd see all day all the time on a 360 is worth more than some horse armor I may only use for awhile and never touch again (and I'd say more work goes into a theme than a single texture and some armor points being added to a horse, seriously).
TrackZero is offline   Reply With Quote