Last post by ElektroDragon
Today 10:12 AM
13 Replies, 906 Views
» Promotion

Old 02-16-2010, 11:13 PM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

PS3 Better Serves Publishers Than 360

IndustryGamers has posted some quotes from SCEA Senior Vice President of Publisher Relations, Rob Dyer, talking about what the PS3 can do for 3rd party publishers.

Quote:
I point to a couple big examples. One is Batman: Arkham Asylum, with what the guys at Eidos and Rocksteady did, and I point to Madden and the unique campaign EA put behind it with us, showing promotions that were very PS3 focused. And that really drove sales," he explained. "Look, we're not going to get the exclusive games. The Mass Effects, Gears of Wars and Left 4 Deads aren't going to happen nearly as often. But we have our own first-party development and exclusives like Final Fantasy XIV and Agent. Exclusives just aren't as commonplace as they were during the PS2 days. What is going to be the driving force is either exclusive ad campaigns, like the Madden campaign, or exclusive content like we had with Batman. The PS3 version outsold the 360 version, and what we've said to [developers] is 'If you take advantage of what the PS3 can deliver more content on the Blu-ray disc, better graphics, being able to get more of what the player wants onto the disc you're going to see those sales translate.' [EA Sports and Eidos] would both tell you that by focusing on PS3 and its virtues and what it provides, it translated into much bigger sales and bang for the buck.
White Knight Chronicles, MAG, Heavy Rain, God of War III, ModNation Racers, Gran Turismo 5, The Last Guardian... is 2010 the Year of the PS3?
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 11:25 PM   #2
The-Builder
Evil Dead

Mass Effect 2, Alan Wake, Halo Reach, Crackdown 2, Fable 3, Splinter Cell Conviction... I'd say no, it isn't the year of the PS3.
The-Builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 11:32 PM   #3
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Builder View Post
Mass Effect 2, Alan Wake, Halo Reach, Crackdown 2, Fable 3, Splinter Cell Conviction... I'd say no, it isn't the year of the PS3.
You're not convincing me. I see Fable III as a BIG ball of suck due to the Natal, Alan Wake is 1/5th of a game with no ending due to the episodic nature, Crackdown 2 isn't even a real sequel so I don't expect any good news from that one and when was the last time the Splinter Cell games mattered?

You got me on Mass Effect 2, that one rocks.

Halo: Reach is more of a wait-and-see. After ODST I don't have much faith in Bungie. I suspect that it will be the same as all the other Halo games -- they are giving us 1900x1200 screenshots now and we will be getting 640x480 resolution when we go to play the game.
Old 02-16-2010, 11:47 PM   #4
Agnostic Pope
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
IndustryGamers has posted some quotes from SCEA Senior Vice President of Publisher Relations, Rob Dyer, talking about what the PS3 can do for 3rd party publishers.

White Knight Chronicles, MAG, Heavy Rain, God of War III, ModNation Racers, Gran Turismo 5, The Last Guardian... is 2010 the Year of the PS3?
White Knight Chronicles sucked, MAG wasn't that great, Heavy Rain's main selling point the "story" is said to be bad, ModNation has casual written all over it+make my own race track... looking forward to The Last Guardian though...and GT5 if it ever gets released.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Jesus View Post
You sir, are my fucking hero!
Agnostic Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 11:53 PM   #5
shadow763
Tarnished Optimism

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Builder View Post
Mass Effect 2 is amazing even though I am playing it on the PC. Halo Reach I think will be a lot of fun. They still need to fix their matchmaking. I am hoping its completely revamped. Splinter Cell will be cool if all this time actually produced a good game. Otherwise the rest of those titles do not interest me at all.

Sony has always had better 1st and 2nd party developers. MS really dropped the ball in that department which is probably why they shell out so much for 3rd party exclusives. I am holding out till E3 to see who will have the best lineup this year.
Old 02-16-2010, 11:56 PM   #6
Agnostic Pope
Evil Dead

Quote:
You're not convincing me. I see Fable III as a BIG ball of suck due to the Natal, Alan Wake is 1/5th of a game with no ending due to the episodic nature, Crackdown 2 isn't even a real sequel so I don't expect any good news from that one and when was the last time the Splinter Cell games mattered?

You got me on Mass Effect 2, that one rocks.
Rant:

Have you been updated/following the newest one? ME1 wasn't half the game ME2 is, I can say the same for this Splinter Cell game compared to the previous...btw most of the crap that was in Splinter Cell made that batman everyone loves what it is. Just putting that out there.

Also Fable 3 will have SOME Natal support but that game is being planned with the xbox controller in mind first/ Natal second. But I guess you hate natal so much (previous posts) that anything that touches it seems to put you off.

Back to the Fable series:
Fable 2 sucked ass. I just hope Fable 3 has actual bosses...don't need a dragon or anything but that last guy 1 hit headshot was fucking lame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Jesus View Post
You sir, are my fucking hero!
Agnostic Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 11:58 PM   #7
Paranoia
Evil Dead

Well PS3 is pirate proof (for now) so in some ways it is good for publishers.
Paranoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 11:59 PM   #8
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow763 View Post
Sony has always had better 1st and 2nd party developers. MS really dropped the ball in that department which is probably why they shell out so much for 3rd party exclusives. I am holding out till E3 to see who will have the best lineup this year.
See my post in the Wii thread -- I think MS is going to blow their E3 conference talking about the Natal and the 3rd party titles and 1st party exclusives will suffer as a result.

Sony could do the same thing with the PS3 Dildo controller, but after what happened with Lair and the motion controls built into the PS3 controller I don't think they are going to put much weight into the Arc. It will be something that is 'out there' waiting for some developer to make a good game for it which might or might not happen.
Old 02-17-2010, 12:00 AM   #9
Mathilda
Soul Reaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by I will kill you both View Post
White Knight Chronicles sucked, MAG wasn't that great, Heavy Rain's main selling point the "story" is said to be bad, ModNation has casual written all over it+make my own race track... looking forward to The Last Guardian though...and GT5 if it ever gets released.
You reek of jaded gamer. WKC did not suck. MAG wasn't my cup of tea but it's somebody's. And Heavy Rain's selling point is not story, it's the interaction with the story, that's where the innovation is. Do the same rundown for whatever other system you want and you'll find you can say the same of anyone's so called "A" line up. It's all opinion anyway. And it means jackshit in the end. At least both of ours do.

Besides what's any of what's been said have to do with the article? Wasn't it about how Sony has been regaining goodwill with publishers?
Mathilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 12:01 AM   #10
Mathilda
Soul Reaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoia View Post
Well PS3 is pirate proof (for now) so in some ways it is good for publishers.
Not after what Geohot has done.
Old 02-17-2010, 12:03 AM   #11
TJF33
Lord

How about the large difference in attach rate?
TJF33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 12:04 AM   #12
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathilda View Post
MAG wasn't my cup of tea but it's somebody's.
I don't know if MAG is any good yet -- the frackin' servers are always down.
Old 02-17-2010, 12:07 AM   #13
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJF33 View Post
How about the large difference in attach rate?
Go read the article. He does some 'new math' that is suggesting that the money a 3rd party developer puts into a PS3 port or PS3 exclusives pays off better than putting that same money into a 360 version of a game.

The logic is a little confusing and probably partly marketing doublespeak, but you can't argue with the results from the Batman exclusives and the Batman marketing campaign.
Old 02-17-2010, 12:16 AM   #14
Anenome
Autarchist

This post is Teecakes-bait.
I'm not surprised Sony's willing to do more, willing to polish more publisher pole, so they can remain relevant in the market. They came pretty close to pricing themselves out of the market entirely. It goes along with their having been humbled this gen.
Anenome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 12:16 AM   #15
OmegaVader
Evil Dead

Why do we ask the question "is this the year of PS3?" every year? If 2009 wasn't, I won't presume 2010 to be. It certailny wasn't the year of the 360 though. Perhaps these years belong to no one.
OmegaVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 12:24 AM   #16
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaVader View Post
Why do we ask the question "is this the year of PS3?" every year? If 2009 wasn't, I won't presume 2010 to be. It certailny wasn't the year of the 360 though. Perhaps these years belong to no one.
I think 2009 was the year of Modern Warfare 2. That game kinda stomped all over everything else in sales. Too bad we all had to buy it to find out that the multiplayer was played out and the single player campaign was ungodly short.
Old 02-17-2010, 12:48 AM   #17
Mathilda
Soul Reaper

Quote:
I think 2009 was the year of Modern Warfare 2. That game kinda stomped all over everything else in sales. Too bad we all had to buy it to find out that the multiplayer was played out and the single player campaign was ungodly short.
Sweet so I wasn't alone.
Old 02-17-2010, 01:07 AM   #18
OmegaVader
Evil Dead

Quote:
I'd rather the fanboy madness just stop. I own an wii and a 360 and I will buy good games on both. I didn't buy a PS3 because it's launch price was ridiculous. I may change my mind when The Last Guardian comes out and in light of the PS3's more appropriate price point these days. I wouldn't ditch my 360 as a result, though. Throughout this mess, however, all I can think is "thank the powers that be that I don't have to deal with this crap when it comes to buying movies." Our games should be the same way. Focus on quality, and not what silly marketing gimmicks and third party stuido payoffs will give your console the short-term edge. Movie directors don't have to worry about whether or not their customer base will be able to see their movie or not. Why should game developers!
OmegaVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 03:04 AM   #19
bean19
Butt Stallion

Quote:
See my post in the Wii thread -- I think MS is going to blow their E3 conference talking about the Natal and the 3rd party titles and 1st party exclusives will suffer as a result.
They'll definitely be talking about Natal, but I don't know why you think that means their exclusives this year will suck as a result. They have an impressive line-up already. Also, what if Natal is really fun? I'm not a fan of the Wii-mote, so I'm fairly certain I'll hate EyeToy games on Natal, but I can think of ways to use it that aren't shitty.

As for it being the year of the PS3. Well, they will certainly make up some ground at a $300 price point. The systems are similar in power and if you aren't interested in the Xbox 360's superior game library (or you already have a 360) then the PS3 is a better value proposition at $300 due to having a Blu-Ray player for HD movies.
bean19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 04:04 AM   #20
Apex
Developer

Quote:
You're not convincing me. I see Fable III as a BIG ball of suck due to the Natal.
What is it specifically you don't like about Fable 3's implemenation of Natal?

Tags
360, ps3