Last post by Agnostic Pope
Yesterday 05:29 PM
45 Replies, 2,923 Views
» Promotion

Old 12-05-2009, 12:45 PM   #1
modeps
Get busy living.

Left 4 Dead 2's SDK May Allow Custom Models

Why in the world didn't the Left 4 Dead 2 SDK come out day and date with the game? One would thing that Valve could have just simply used what they already had with the first iteration and just add the new assets, right? Welp, word is from L4DMods is that the new Left 4 Dead 2 SDK will support custom models. Big deal right? Actually it is. This appears to give modders the ability to create their own survivors and special infected.

Quote:
By the looks off it, custom models are now supported and very much a reality now! And that includes survivors, special infected, common infected and weapons. Not only that, it seems the weapon functionality can also be edited. So what does this all mean? Well it means mappers can have custom survivors, special/common infected and entirely new weapons unique to just their campaigns (i.e map side modifications, NOT server side)! The L4D modding scene just got a little more interesting boys and girls. Keep your eyes peeled and just think of all the custom content to come in the near future.
This could be really cool... and makes that Midnight Riders teaser website make that much more sense.
modeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 01:16 PM   #2
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

I've never liked the ability for people to make characters in games. Aside from just poor quality, it kills any story and atmosphere the developers worked years to create when you're shooting zombies next to the tick and a naked woman who looks like a blow up doll...
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 01:46 PM   #3
MasterEvilAce
Evil Dead

Jockey's riding Zoey!

... let's see where this goes....
MasterEvilAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 01:49 PM   #4
WpnX
Evil Dead

In case you were wondering Modeps, this doesn't make me angry.
WpnX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 02:22 PM   #5
Jotoco
Evil Dead

Me so happy!

There will be a thousand worthless mods.

But for the few who will be well though out and executed this will be heaven. There is always a few mods that are as outstanding as the original product or even better. I will wait for those.
Old 12-05-2009, 03:04 PM   #6
revoc
Soul Reaper

I still haven't bought this game. Steam feels to much like a subscription service to me and I don't want subscriptions. I want a game that I can own and play whenever and wherever I want. Did you know Steam calls their games subscriptions as well? That's what they referred them to when I needed help with something.

Oh, back on topic. Woooo models! I'd populate a map with those puka-fatties I see on gameplay videos.
revoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 06:26 PM   #7
ascl
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazGalaxy View Post
Aside from just poor quality, it kills any story and atmosphere the developers worked years to create when you're shooting zombies next to the tick and a naked woman who looks like a blow up doll...
Well, ONE year anyway...
ascl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 12:20 AM   #8
Asacolips
Peon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jotoco View Post
Me so happy!

There will be a thousand worthless mods.

But for the few who will be well though out and executed this will be heaven. There is always a few mods that are as outstanding as the original product or even better. I will wait for those.
I think that most people in here are kind of misunderstanding what custom models means in a valve game. What makes this awesome is that player's (not the servers) can use their own models (such as the original survivors' models or cooler looking guns) without actually changing their functionality and messing up the other players online. Basically, it's main benefit (at least to me) is to enhance what the player can do to make their game more visually interesting, by downloading a little enhancement here and a little enhancement there, while not destroying any of the balance. Anyone who's played Counter-Strike Source will understand why this is cool. Not to mention I'll be able to play as Bill again! (hopefully)
Asacolips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 01:23 AM   #9
yutt
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asacolips View Post
I think that most people in here are kind of misunderstanding what custom models means in a valve game. What makes this awesome is that player's (not the servers) can use their own models (such as the original survivors' models or cooler looking guns) without actually changing their functionality and messing up the other players online. Basically, it's main benefit (at least to me) is to enhance what the player can do to make their game more visually interesting, by downloading a little enhancement here and a little enhancement there, while not destroying any of the balance. Anyone who's played Counter-Strike Source will understand why this is cool. Not to mention I'll be able to play as Bill again! (hopefully)
Yes, custom models also makes making models of neon purple infected, or infected with red head models to make aimbotting easier.

Awesome.

Luckily I can stick to official servers and not play against those douchebags.
Old 12-06-2009, 05:00 AM   #10
murpes
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by yutt View Post
Yes, custom models also makes making models of neon purple infected, or infected with red head models to make aimbotting easier.

Awesome.

Luckily I can stick to official servers and not play against those douchebags.
Sadly, this is the first thing that came to my mind, too. But good things will come out of this as well. PC gaming's openness and flexibility are both it's greatest strength and weakness. Sort of a metaphor for our society in a way - the same freedoms that allow me to worship in the church of my choice also allows somebody to walk around in the wall wearing the same-colored corduroy pants and corduroy shirt.
murpes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
left 4 dead 2