Last post by Rommel
Today 12:05 AM
12 Replies, 1,165 Views
» Promotion

Old 09-10-2007, 04:31 AM   #1
bapenguin
Beware of my Power Bands

[RUMOR] - Playstation Pricedrop and New SKU Coming

I don't think I've ever seen a system go through so many prices and iterations in one year as the Playstation 3 has. And if this rumor holds true, we are in for another change.

It appears the PS3 80GB will drop to $499 and come packed with a copy of Spiderman 3 on Blu-Ray. I assume this is instead of Motorstorm.

Also, the long standing rumor of a 40GB model looks to be coming true, with a price point of $399 and also possibly coming packed in with Spiderman 3. There are no details on exactly what the new SKU will be capable of, or if it simply is 40 less gigabytes.

I think a $399 PS3 is almost a necessity for Sony this holiday. It will be interesting to see how Microsoft responds.
bapenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 04:34 AM   #2
Vandenh
Evil Dead

If you have no games... go for the movies!

Anway.. sounds like a plan. They might sell shitloads if this is true.

BTW how much value has the PS3 lost in one year? Most be a record indeed.
My suggestion, as a fellow PS3 owner, is that you should've gotten a 360.
Vandenh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 04:37 AM   #3
Gorvi
Dark Resistant

Man, Spiderman 3? I know it's mass market, but really? Hell, at least package in an older game like Resistance with the thing. Or put Super Stardust on the HDD.
Gorvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 04:38 AM   #4
fitbabits
The Cat Whisperer

Holy crap! I guess they have to do something to shift the product, but didn't Sony once criticize Microsoft for confusing the consumer with multiply SKUs?

Oh, and if Sony do go ahead and do this, will they offer any sort of iPhone-like 'apology' to those who bought the 80GB model at the greater price.

Plus, doesn't this rumor put a dent in their plans? I mean, if I were in the market for a PS3, I'd simply wait Sony out and NOT buy one right now.
fitbabits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 04:40 AM   #5
Gorvi
Dark Resistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitbabits View Post
Plus, doesn't this rumor put a dent in their plans? I mean, if I were in the market for a PS3, I'd simply wait Sony out and NOT buy one right now.
That doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Waiting to buy something because of an internet rumor of a price drop isn't normally a very wise decision.
Old 09-10-2007, 04:42 AM   #6
fitbabits
The Cat Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorvi View Post
That doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Waiting to buy something because of an internet rumor of a price drop isn't normally a very wise decision.
Those who waited to buy prior to the E3 price drop would disagree. Remember, that was also just a rumor at one point.
fitbabits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 04:42 AM   #7
Itchyeyes
It's space weather!

While I agree that both systems need to come down in price, dropping that price again so early could backfire on Sony and/or Microsoft as customers who bought at the higher price become upset at having wasted their money (witness the iPhone situation), and prospective customers might get the idea that Sony is in the habit of frequently dropping their price and want to hold out for the next price drop.
Old 09-10-2007, 04:43 AM   #8
NeoSuplex
Probably not Jack Reacher

If this is true, it's a gauntlet. Your move, MS.

Until that day...
NeoSuplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 04:46 AM   #9
Vandenh
Evil Dead

Quote:
Man, Spiderman 3? I know it's mass market, but really? Hell, at least package in an older game like Resistance with the thing
It is the Bluray movie mate.
My suggestion, as a fellow PS3 owner, is that you should've gotten a 360.
Vandenh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 04:46 AM   #10
Gorvi
Dark Resistant

Quote:
Those who waited to buy prior to the E3 price drop would disagree. Remember, that was also just a rumor at one point.
Very true, but that one made a lot of sense, at least as far as the timing. While I think that a price drop is necassary, and that the 80GB will be at the very least $499 before December, a 40GB model for $399 doesn't make a lot of sense. They're losing their money on the core componants of the PS3, not on the HDD. If they could lower a 40GB to $399, it would make almost as much sense to just put the 80GB at that pricepoint. Really, how much is that extra 40GB really costing them? $20 with the quantities they'd be buying them in?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandenh View Post
It is the Bluray movie mate.
Oh, I know. That's arguably worse than the game.
Old 09-10-2007, 04:52 AM   #11
bean19
Butt Stallion

Quote:
It could save people $100 and there is no reason to rush out and buy one (No games). Ratchet & Clank looks promising, but that comes out around the time of the price drop.

Quote:
a 40GB model for $399 doesn't make a lot of sense. They're losing their money on the core componants of the PS3, not on the HDD.
"core components". Hah. Just say Blu-Ray player already. The rest of the components are fairly cheap and are comparable to the component costs on an Xbox 360.
bean19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 04:54 AM   #12
tonester
Knight

If this is true...

What a punch in the face to people who scrounged up their 60gb versions for the same price while they declared, "No new pricing plans or SKUs are being discussed."

Now? They'll deny this rumor or say they don't comment on this stuff as part of their corporate policy - which they have to because 60gb versions for the same price would stop selling and people wouldn't buy the system at all until they waited for the rumored price drop. Then, the price will drop, and they would have punched more people in the face that they "lied" to when they responsded to this rumor.

Sony is a fiasco right now - no matter how poorly/well their system does.
tonester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 04:58 AM   #13
Gorvi
Dark Resistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by bean19 View Post
It could save people $100 and there is no reason to rush out and buy one (No games). Ratchet & Clank looks promising, but that comes out around the time of the price drop.

"core components". Hah. Just say Blu-Ray player already. The rest of the components are fairly cheap and are comparable to the component costs on an Xbox 360.
Well, the "no games" thing is becoming less true, though there is still a significant lack right now. The library is building this Fall, so it's not like there won't be things to get.

As far as costs, I really don't know if it's just Blu-Ray that's doing it, though it's probably a large contributing factor.
Old 09-10-2007, 05:01 AM   #14
NeoSuplex

Quote:
How could that possibly be a bad decision? Honestly, what could possibly happen to someone if they wait to buy a PS3? Are PS3s going to go extinct? Are the games going to get rotten? What?

Until that day...
Old 09-10-2007, 05:02 AM   #15
LilBunnyFuFu
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by bapenguin View Post
I think a $399 PS3 is almost a necessity for Sony this holiday. It will be interesting to see how Microsoft responds.
Buy one 360, get one free!
Old 09-10-2007, 05:03 AM   #16
Gorvi
Dark Resistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoSuplex View Post
How could that possibly be a bad decision? Honestly, what could possibly happen to someone if they wait to buy a PS3? Are PS3s going to go extinct? Are the games going to get rotten? What?
Well, you could apply the same thing to any purchase, really. If you're always waiting for a price drop, you'll never buy anything. I'm just saying, a vague internet rumor shouldn't be enough to hold off a purchase of anything if you actually want to buy it.
Old 09-10-2007, 05:07 AM   #17
Dukefrukem
Evil Dead

Quote:
I was in that boat. Picked mine up 3 weeks ago.
Dukefrukem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 05:09 AM   #18
NeoSuplex

Quote:
Well, you could apply the same thing to any purchase, really. If you're always waiting for a price drop, you'll never buy anything. I'm just saying, a vague internet rumor shouldn't be enough to hold off a purchase of anything if you actually want to buy it.
But this wouldn't be unprovoked waiting for a price to drop (even if it was, that's not a bad idea... prices do drop). This is waiting to see if a rumor pans out. You stand to save 100$ at the risk of waiting a bit longer to play Motorstorm... I just don't see that as something you would warn people away from...
To be fair, I haven't played the full version of Motorstorm. It could be Jesus on a disc...

Until that day...
Old 09-10-2007, 05:10 AM   #19
Kelegacy
Poor Impulse Control

A $399 PS3 would be good for the industry. It would also make it more competitive (price-wise anyway) with the 360. MS did recently have a price drop, but it was later than I would have liked. This was due in part to the PS3 being so damn expensive.

I would like to see Sony lower their licensing fees on the PS3 to make games on the system cheaper. Then the 360 would have to follow suit or else lose multiplatform sales (potentially). Then the benefits would trickle down for all of us.

I know a lot of you don't have a problem with $60 dollar games (I'm looking at you Halo 3 Legendary purchasers and collector's edition supporters---IDIOTS) but I still do. Maybe I am just still used to the new 39.99-49.99 last gen prices. And I thought 50 bucks was pricey for a short-lived toy.
Kelegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 05:12 AM   #20
Dukefrukem
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelegacy View Post
A $399 PS3 would be good for the industry. It would also make it more competitive (price-wise anyway) with the 360. MS did recently have a price drop, but it was later than I would have liked. This was due in part to the PS3 being so damn expensive.

I would like to see Sony lower their licensing fees on the PS3 to make games on the system cheaper. Then the 360 would have to follow suit or else lose multiplatform sales (potentially). Then the benefits would trickle down for all of us.
It would also combat the low price of HD-DVD this holiday… I think consumers would look at it as; I could get an HD player AND a console for $400.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelegacy View Post

I know a lot of you don't have a problem with $60 dollar games (I'm looking at you Halo 3 Legendary purchasers and collector's edition supporters---IDIOTS) but I still do. Maybe I am just still used to the new 39.99-49.99 last gen prices. And I thought 50 bucks was pricey for a short-lived toy.
do you know how much N64 cartridges were?
Dukefrukem is offline   Reply With Quote