Evil Avatar  




Go Back   Evil Avatar > Daily Gaming News > In-House Content

» Sponsored Links


» Recent Threads
Star Wars Rebels -...
Last post by Emabulator
Today 08:04 PM
0 Replies, 1 Views
Face-Off: Final Fantasy...
Last post by Agnostic Pope
Today 07:27 PM
4 Replies, 427 Views
PS4 is Top-Selling...
Last post by Agnostic Pope
Today 07:26 PM
48 Replies, 2,212 Views
Firaxis Announces...
Last post by Zane
Today 05:00 PM
36 Replies, 2,235 Views
Tabletop Simulator; for...
Last post by Zelos
Today 04:11 PM
30 Replies, 1,322 Views
NSFW: The Anomaly Trailer
Last post by Emabulator
Today 03:12 PM
1 Replies, 535 Views
Wasteland 2 Early Access...
Last post by Qoz
Today 03:05 PM
2 Replies, 492 Views
Detroit: America's Next...
Last post by lockwoodx
Today 02:23 PM
6 Replies, 289 Views
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2007, 05:00 AM   #1
bapenguin
Beware of my Power Bands
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Easton, PA
Posts: 3
[INTERVIEW] - Cliffy B: 2 Months Later on Gears of War

Now that Gears of war has been out for a while, what's been your impressions of the feedback? Is it what you expected?

CliffyB: Feedback has been overwhelmingly positive at both a critical and commercial level. Everyone is thrilled with the game and we couldn't be happier.


Is there something that has surprised you from the feedback, whether critical or praise?


CliffyB: To be perfectly honest I'm amazed at how good players became at sticking grenades to one another. We played the game locally for thousands of hours and found tagging to be a useful tactic but not quite the mega attack it became online. We ultimately wound up reducing the distance in a recent update and players seem far happier with it now.


Is there something that very few people have commented on that you thought would be more popular?


CliffyB: I'm surprised at how few users or reviewers have called out the fact that the game has little to no loading screens when playing through the single player campaign. Great features like these that make a game more seamless and immersive often become invisible to the player. The game is just better for it.


Do you play online in Ranked matches? If so how do you fare?

CliffyB: I play both Ranked and Player matches and I can hold my own. (I have, after all, had a head start with practicing active reloading for nearly two years prior to the game's release!) The meta-games of leaderboards and achievements add a whole extra element of depth to the online experience. It all adds up to a very addictive social experience.


Do you think the online multiplayer will have the longevity that some other multiplayer games have like Halo, Counterstrike and even Call of Duty 2?

CliffyB:Due to our ongoing level of support for our products I believe Gears will have legs for quite some time. In fact, we just released two great new combat arenas for the game, "Raven Down" and "Old Bones." Both have been a great success online. I have a sneaky feeling that this won't be the last content that users see from Epic Games!


Who would win in a battle to the death, Master Chief or Marcus Fenix?

CliffyB: That's the million dollar question. Odds are that Master Chief's helmet would limit his peripheral vision and allow Marcus to come in from the side and tag a grenade or chainsaw Chief in half.


Editor's Note: There was one question that I really wanted answered that Cliffy apparently couldn't answer, or maybe he just didn't' want to answer.

Between ActIV and ActV there seems to be a chunk of the story missing. It almost seems like there should have been a vehicle level bridging the two acts or something. Was there something planned there that didn't make the final cut?
bapenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 05:14 AM   #2
agentgray
Vroom Vroom
 
agentgray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,194
Very cool you scored the interview, but I think I could have responded...with the same answers.

Meat! Meat! Meat!

EDIT: I do agree though. You could tell they were surprised about the grenade tagging as much as everyone else. Games will always be exploited. I'm glad they took care of it. Sucks for those guys who didn't think it was an exploit. They'll have to play as a team like everyone else.
__________________
buttonmashing | Playing in Paradise.
agentgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 05:43 AM   #3
TurboKinny
THE Keeper of Loose Women
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 1,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by bapenguin

Is there something that very few people have commented on that you thought would be more popular?


CliffyB: I'm surprised at how few users or reviewers have called out the fact that the game has little to no loading screens when playing through the single player campaign. Great features like these that make a game more seamless and immersive often become invisible to the player. The game is just better for it.
Interesting- he's right. I hadn't consciously noticed this, but I do appreciate it.
__________________
Gamertag: TurboKinny

It's a circus of loose women, and we want you to be the zoo keeper, my dear. ~~Disgustipated
TurboKinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 06:00 AM   #4
Roc Ingersol
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 3,637
Quote:
CliffyB: I'm surprised at how few users or reviewers have called out the fact that the game has little to no loading screens when playing through the single player campaign.
Perhaps they were mesmerized by "cut-scene -> empty hallway -> cut-scene"
=p
Roc Ingersol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 06:07 AM   #5
DesignerKid
Lord
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 84
The lack of loading, while nice, isn't exacting revolutionary at this point. Lots of games have streamed in the environments, enemies, etc.

See, I would've mentioned the fact that there was no loading except for the fact that I could actually tell when it was loading and it ultimately worked against in my opinion (E.g. Walk down hallway, game pauses momentarily, prepare for an onslaught of whateverthehell they're called). I'm sure that's probably a minority opinion but it's still legit.
DesignerKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 06:13 AM   #6
Jenga
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 170
Is it just me or does Cliffy look a little...hunched over in that picture?
Jenga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 06:14 AM   #7
Rirath
最終兵器
 
Rirath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 1,713
Oh come on, quit being so cynical. A game with GoW's graphics and no loading? Geesh, who cares if it takes a hallway? Give me that any day over Half Life 2's constant immersion-breaking "LOADING..." or Oblivion's loading screens every single time you enter/leave an area.

And part of the reason why we're seeing it more often now in because of the Unreal 3 engine.
Rirath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 06:20 AM   #8
DesignerKid
Lord
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 84
That's not being cynical at all. The fact is, I actually made the observation as I was playing through the game. I didn't say it ruined the game but it tipped me off any time something was going to happen.

I'm not as impressed with the fact that they have high quality visuals and no loading. Sorry. That's what the hardware should be capable of so to me, it's moot. I've seen high quality visuals and streaming before. Just not at the same level but both equally impressive (SSX3 on the PS2).
DesignerKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 06:27 AM   #9
Roc Ingersol
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 3,637
If I'm doing a whole bunch of nothing, because it's loading crap in the background, it doesn't really matter whether I'm staring at a loading screen or walking down an empty hallway. That's still a load time.

Gears is a very impressive title. There's no need to mislead people.
Roc Ingersol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 07:06 AM   #10
Rirath
最終兵器
 
Rirath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 1,713
Frankly, I don't think you guys have any clue how this stuff works in the background or what a challenge such a task is. It's not misleading people, and it's certainly not just some throw-in feature of the hardware.

But that's the problem, isn't it? You do something really impressive and you do it well, and everyone will simply adjust to it in the blink of an eye. People are just so jaded anymore it's not even funny.
Rirath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 07:36 AM   #11
DesignerKid
Lord
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 84
Um, I work for large publisher / developer and have for several years.

We've disected the game at our office; most of us really love what they've done but in the process of looking it over it's easy to identify how they've pulled everything off (technologies, etc).

I'm not saying it's incredibly easy but it's certainly not new. Give anyone 3 - 5 years to make a game and those SHOULD be the results. Otherwise, what the fuck are you doing with all that time?

That's not being jaded.
DesignerKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 08:12 AM   #12
EternalGamer
Hexigonal Librarian #3785
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 3,977
So what exactly was his response to the question about the gap in the story, Bapenguin?
__________________
If you want to know where your favorite former EvAv posters went and what happened go here.

Xbox Live: EternalGamer2
Wii[/b]: 5776 8275 6283 1367
PS3 Network: EternalGamer
EternalGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 08:18 AM   #13
Roc Ingersol
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 3,637
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rirath
Frankly, I don't think you guys have any clue how this stuff works in the background or what a challenge such a task is. It's not misleading people,
I said it was impressive. But that doesn't mean that walking down an empty hallway while the game's loading is necessarily superior to looking at a loading screen.
Roc Ingersol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 08:19 AM   #14
fitbabits
The Cat Whisperer
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 0
Nice interview, bapenguin, but I'm confused - given that you're not a professional journalist, how did you get the interview? I mean, we all know (thanks to Draft) that us reds have no contacts and no sources in the industry, so I'm left with only one explanation - YOU MADE IT UP!
fitbabits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 08:49 AM   #15
bapenguin
Beware of my Power Bands
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Easton, PA
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitbabits
Nice interview, bapenguin, but I'm confused - given that you're not a professional journalist, how did you get the interview? I mean, we all know (thanks to Draft) that us reds have no contacts and no sources in the industry, so I'm left with only one explanation - YOU MADE IT UP!
Dang...you got me.
bapenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 08:53 AM   #16
fitbabits
The Cat Whisperer
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by bapenguin
Dang...you got me.
You're reputation, and that of Evil Avatar, is on the line here. I, and I'm sure many others, DEMAND you reveal your sources. Time, place, and those present at this 'interview' will suffice.

This is fun.
fitbabits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 09:34 AM   #17
Philonious
Occasional Lurker
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 1,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitbabits
You're reputation, and that of Evil Avatar, is on the line here. I, and I'm sure many others, DEMAND you reveal your sources. Time, place, and those present at this 'interview' will suffice.

This is fun.
Be nice Fits.

Yeah, there was definitely missing something between between gaining access to the data and hopping on the train. Cause I didn't know about the train until they told me to get on it... The other drag was a number of the cut-scenes could have been interactive, and making them cut-scenes seems to have been a cop out. First introduction to RAAM is a great example, you could have been fighting hordes of Locusts and have to escape to the copters. As was the escape from Fenix Manor, you could have driven away instead of watching it happen. The RAAM fight was also felt out of place and tacked on... I was reminded yesterday how brilliant the ending of Halo was.

My conclusion is that despite they great job they did, Epic wash pushed to get the game out the door ASAP to counter the launch of the PS3. In the end a great decision business wise, but one I think hurt GoW and kept it from being the game is could/should have been. Hopefully this doesn't happen with the dozens of sequels they have announced.
Philonious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 09:39 AM   #18
Food Nipple
Noise, Noise, Noise
 
Food Nipple's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Ingersol
I said it was impressive. But that doesn't mean that walking down an empty hallway while the game's loading is necessarily superior to looking at a loading screen.
Ok, i'll bite. Walking down an empty hallway is ALWAYS superior to looking at a loading screen. I think you're confusing pacing decisions with load times, the game emulates Halo's pacing with lots of self-contained encounters with down time for story in between. Most of these "empty hallways" have dialogue, so their purpose is greater than to just mask load times.

Bap, I think you asked some really good questions, it's too bad that it was mostly canned PR answers. I'm glad someone finally asked Cliffy what was up with the transition between Acts 4 and 5.
__________________
gamertag: FoodNipple
Food Nipple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 09:49 AM   #19
Roc Ingersol
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 3,637
'bite'? wtf, is everyone assumed to be trolling here?
The meta-posting bullshit is a bit unnecessary.

I disagree that 'walking' is innately superior to 'watching'. If there's nothing to interact with, there's no point in making that sequence interactive. If there's important 'dialogue' to be delivered, it should have been contained in the cutscene that preceeded the empty hallway, or the cutscene that followed.

It doesn't bother me that there is 'down-time' where you travel from one set-piece to the next. That's fine. What specifically bothers me is the: "cutscene -> empty hallway -> cutscene" phenomenon. Down-time for pacing purposes was already established before the hallway, and reestablished afterwards. The intervening hallway is a gussied up load-time.
Roc Ingersol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 10:04 AM   #20
motor
#1 Uwe Boll Fan
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesignerKid
The lack of loading, while nice, isn't exacting revolutionary at this point. Lots of games have streamed in the environments, enemies, etc.

See, I would've mentioned the fact that there was no loading except for the fact that I could actually tell when it was loading and it ultimately worked against in my opinion (E.g. Walk down hallway, game pauses momentarily, prepare for an onslaught of whateverthehell they're called). I'm sure that's probably a minority opinion but it's still legit.
I think it should defintely be called out, because loading simply wrecks a game. People too often forget to tpraise it and then some idiot thinks it is not important and wrecks a game by have it full of loading screens.
motor is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:09 PM.