Today 01:16 PM
1 Replies, 327 Views
» Promotion

Old 09-09-2013, 06:34 PM   #41
shadow763
Tarnished Optimism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karai Pantsu View Post
I always thought the PSP and the Vita were overpriced, but there were a number of titles I wanted to play. If this little dingus can play them on a TV without making them look like ass, I'm in. It's a great value at just 100 bucks with probable updates and support into the future to expand it's utility.
With the current price point of 200, I think the Vita is NOW well priced. Considering the build quality, the screen quality, and the overall system power and abilities compared to other items of the same price range, I am not sure you can really beat it. Being able to play games in the same ballpark as the PS3 is pretty impressive. Plus having the PSOne and PSP libraries available is pretty compelling if you enjoy those games. Thrown in remote play for PS3 and 4 and it is not a bad deal.
Old 09-09-2013, 06:52 PM   #42
PSPfreak
Evil Dead

I think this is all good news... if I cared remotely about the Vita and its "games."
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintBlitzkrieg View Post
I don't believe in reviews.
PSPfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:58 PM   #43
VenomUSMC
Evil Dead

From the article
Quote:
the announcement of PS Vita TV is currently for Japan only.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anenome
It [DDoS] may be illegal, but should it be? Where's the actual damage?
VenomUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:43 AM   #44
Karai Pantsu
Evil Dead

It's also not region locked, like most Sony products, so you could easily bring one to the US if they don't release it over here (which would be stupid).
Karai Pantsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:01 AM   #45
oldjadedgamer
Old and Jaded

Quote:
It's also not region locked, like most Sony products, so you could easily bring one to the US if they don't release it over here (which would be stupid).
Huh? Every home system has been region locked by Sony. Only PSP and Vita are not but traditionally portable systems aren't because they need to be portable. But Sony systems are always region locked and it's up to the publisher to lock their games or not.
oldjadedgamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:13 AM   #46
shadow763
Tarnished Optimism

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjadedgamer View Post
Huh? Every home system has been region locked by Sony. Only PSP and Vita are not but traditionally portable systems aren't because they need to be portable. But Sony systems are always region locked and it's up to the publisher to lock their games or not.
Playstation 3 was not region locked. The PS4 will not be either.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:20 AM   #47
oldjadedgamer
Old and Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow763 View Post
Playstation 3 was not region locked. The PS4 will not be either.
PS3 is region locked. Just ask Atlus....

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/07/05/pe...locked-on-ps3/

Microsoft has confirmed that the One will not be region locked as it is against their TCR rules to lock a game down (i.e. if a publisher tries to lock it, they will not be allowed past certification). Not so with every previous Sony home system. Sony has not confirmed if they will block publishers from region locking games on the PS4 yet.
Old 09-10-2013, 12:46 PM   #48
shadow763
Tarnished Optimism

The console itself is not region locked, publishers have the option to do that. So technically the system is not region locked. One game was region locked on the PS3. I would say it is not region locked.
Old 09-10-2013, 01:29 PM   #49
oldjadedgamer
Old and Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow763 View Post
The console itself is not region locked, publishers have the option to do that. So technically the system is not region locked. One game was region locked on the PS3. I would say it is not region locked.
You can't speak in absolutes and allow for exceptions. If even one single game is region locked, the system has region locking. Period. The 360 isn't region locked either and is up to the publishers so the 360 is region free as well. Big deal.

Not only that, the PS3 cannot play movies from other regions nor can the PS3 play PS2 or PS1 games from other regions because it region locks them. Also, DVD's are region locked out from the PS3.

So let's recap... the PS3 allows locks on these things from other regions:

PS3 games
PS2 games
PS1 games
DVDs
Blu-rays

......... but the PS3 isn't region locked? For the system to be not region locked, every single game and movie would play on the system but it doesn't. Sony allows it in their development rules for companies to lock out games based on region.

Again, the One has already gone on the record and say that games simply won't pass certification and cannot release to the public if they are region locked. If the PS3 was region free on a hardware level then no software could override that.
Old 09-10-2013, 01:43 PM   #50
Karai Pantsu
Evil Dead

But you're speaking yourself in absolutes. Every piece of electronic kitch you have is technically region locked by its power cord, which I know you can adapt to other outlets, but that's not the point as that's akin to piracy (i.e. modifying an end user product to fit needs not intended by its manufacture). That doesn't mean your toaster will only make US sourced toast.

The DS is, by definition, a region locked system. It will not play ANYTHING from outside the region it was made for. That's what region locking is: total control. The PS3's optional locking is a developer choice, not a hardware choice. Just because it can do something does not mean that defines it.
Old 09-10-2013, 02:00 PM   #51
oldjadedgamer
Old and Jaded

Region locking is preventing games in one region from being played in another region. Games released on PS3 can be and are region locked. Sony did not block this from happening like MS is with the One.

If the system was truely region free then every game from every region could be played on any system. It isn't rocket science here. The 3DO is the only home system released that was region free.
Old 09-10-2013, 02:06 PM   #52
TeeCakes
Nega Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
Is this a joke? This must be a joke. Is this a joke?
If something that I really want to buy extremely bad so I can play my Vita/PSP collection upscaled on my HDTV with a D3 controller is a 'joke' in your world, you must be a really funny guy.
Old 09-10-2013, 02:15 PM   #53
TeeCakes
Nega Gamer

Quote:
PS3 is region locked. Just ask Atlus....

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/07/05/pe...locked-on-ps3/

Microsoft has confirmed that the One will not be region locked as it is against their TCR rules to lock a game down (i.e. if a publisher tries to lock it, they will not be allowed past certification). Not so with every previous Sony home system. Sony has not confirmed if they will block publishers from region locking games on the PS4 yet.
PS3 is not region locked, you just need to create a Japanese PSN ID/Euro PSN ID/USA PSN ID/etc. for whichever game you're seeking to play. It's tedious but then again why wouldn't you just wait for games in your region to be released Mr. Anxious Pants??
Old 09-10-2013, 06:23 PM   #54
Karai Pantsu
Evil Dead

Quote:
Region locking is preventing games in one region from being played in another region. Games released on PS3 can be and are region locked. Sony did not block this from happening like MS is with the One.

If the system was truely region free then every game from every region could be played on any system. It isn't rocket science here. The 3DO is the only home system released that was region free.
Here is a list of all region locked PS3 games. Please note the length of the list. Now please shut up about how abusive Sony is being with their region locked system.

Just because it can be locked doesn't mean it is an inherently region locked system. Christ.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:40 PM   #55
Syl
Evil Dead

I think you're just being foolish if you don't think that this will make it out to the US sometime next year.
Syl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 04:13 AM   #56
oldjadedgamer
Old and Jaded

Quote:
Here is a list of all region locked PS3 games. Please note the length of the list. Now please shut up about how abusive Sony is being with their region locked system.

Just because it can be locked doesn't mean it is an inherently region locked system. Christ.
Thanks for providing a list proving my point that the PS3 is region locked.
Old 09-14-2013, 05:05 AM   #57
TeeCakes
Nega Gamer

Quote:
Thanks for providing a list proving my point that the PS3 is region locked.
As you opened the door I'll go ahead and quote the full anecdote as to why the PS3 only has one fully region locked blu ray disc in its entire library:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
The game is the second PlayStation 3 title to be region locked (with the first being Namco Bandai's Joysound Dive, a Japanese exclusive karaoke game released on the Japanese PlayStation Network).[9][61] However, it is the first region locked disc-based PS3 game. Atlus has stated that the North American release will work in both North and South American regions, with the North American and Japanese editions being nearly identical including both English and Japanese text/voice options.[62] However, the online servers are global.[63]
The decision to region lock the PlayStation version of the game has inspired mass fan outrage, with many threatening to boycott the game and company, as they fear it will set a precedent for other companies to region lock future games released on the PlayStation 3. This backlash forced Atlus USA to issue a press release, in which they state that because both the Japanese and NA versions are virtually identical and with their release dates only weeks apart, a region lock was put in place by one of the higher ups in Japan in order to prevent reverse importation (as the price of games in the United States is cheaper than the price in Japan).[30] They further stated that this will not be a reflection of a new Atlus policy.[30] After the game was released on February 13, 2013 at PlayStation Network USA, the region-lock remains the same as the retail version.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persona_4_Arena

(font adjusted by TeeCakes)

If you think anybody is worried about Atlus saving a few dollars by overcharging Japanese gamers then you misunderstand the concern over region-locking. This is the only PS3 game that is locked and that's a good thing-- meaning US PS3 owners don't get shafted by not being able to play every game released in any region. To date I can boot up every non-US region game with ease-- all except the Japanese version of Persona 4 Arena (irrelevant as the US version is IDENTICAL).

But continue enjoying your hollow "victory" OJG, we've got you on the job to always suspect Sony of the worst! PS3's robbing gamers left and right! Protect our freedoms!!!1
Old 09-15-2013, 10:04 AM   #58
saulob
Subscriber

1,300 games for PS Vita? Really?

I can only think about the GOW and Uncharted game....
Old 09-16-2013, 04:50 AM   #59
oldjadedgamer
Old and Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by saulob View Post
1,300 games for PS Vita? Really?

I can only think about the GOW and Uncharted game....
They are counting every game that can be played on a Vita. Why mention Vita games?

Tags
silly sony