Yesterday 09:38 PM
4 Replies, 373 Views
» Promotion

Old 09-04-2013, 09:06 PM   #61
GunnSgtHartman
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardedSonOfNel View Post
If you're talking about a pure Metro app, the code is very close, and I think you'll be seeing that in future releases of the OSes. Right now MS is still supporting WP 7.5, and I think that is holding some of the true windows cross platform back.

Here's hoping MS will allow the two architectures to coexist soon for developers sakes.

I've moved my team over to using HTML 5, JavaScript, CSS, and PhoneGap. PhoneGap allows the team to write with very little, (and in most cases no code changes) a single code base for Android, iOS, and multiple Windows platforms (WP7-8, and Win8 Metro apps).
No it is not that quite close. Basically WP8 and Windows 8 use .NET, but it is quite different from the standard .NET framework. A simple example: all your code reading/writing files using System.IO have to be completely rewritten in WinRT because Microsoft wanted to force developers to use C#5 async methods. MS wants responsive apps that don't block the UI thread, in fact they will block your app from the Windows Store if your app doesn't fit their requirements.

They have a good point, but they need to realize this forces developers to rewrite much of their .NET code... for a 3% market share instead of 80% like Android phones.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:07 PM   #62
vallor
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnSgtHartman View Post
Really, we know you are a Microsoft fanboy!
Though this tastes like ashes in my mouth I have to say Elekto has been very vocally a PS/4 supporter and Xbox One trash talker in the recent past.

Maybe he's flip flopped again but he was as anti-MS as they come since E3.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:17 PM   #63
GunnSgtHartman
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElektroDragon View Post
Screw Surface, there are dozens of other Windows 8 full blown tablets and they're awesome. The problem is not Surface, the problem is the stupidity of creating Windows RT. People don't even want to code for Windows Phone, and they expected them to code especially for Windows RT? RT needs to die, and Windows Phone 8 needs to get some more damn developers.

I spent a really long damn time agonizing over upgrading my Windows Phone 7.5 to a Windows Phone 8 or to Android. My wife had already switched to Android because she wanted a super skinny phone. In the end I decided on Windows Phone 8 with the Lumia 1020 because of the camera, because I liked the interface, and because you can use the screen with a glove, have a 60FPS AMOLED screen and some other nice Nokia features. Plus yes, fucking Xbox achievements. (I know, I know, I fail at life.)

All you people indirectly shitting on my $300 Windows Phone 8 purchasing decision are making me angry, stop it!

Since I wanted a camera replacement, my wife had Android if we needed an app on the go in a pinch, and I almost never leave my damn house which has a Nexus 7 in it already... I think I justified my choice rather well. Now I'm going to be optimistic that MS will handle the platform better than Nokia did. Remember as well that HTC also made some decent Windows Phones, though now they might decide to stop.
Unlike your previous post, I agree much with what you said.

Maybe you understand that already, but WinRT has been introduced because of ARM processors. Almost every Windows application (including .NET applications) use the Win32 API behind the scenes, which is only compatible on x86 processors. MS had to do something to break compatibility and start again fresh and support x86 and ARM cpus in a single app.

However, they pretty much invalidated half of the .NET framework (while other solutions like Xamarin/Mono pretty much reproduces the whole framework for iOS and Android). I really think they should have introduced some kind of compatibility layer to make the transition easier for developers.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:28 PM   #64
GunnSgtHartman
Evil Dead

My opinion on this transaction: It's obvious MS planned it way ahead. It is brilliant "Trojan Horse" strategy, they didn't pay that much for acquiring Nokia (less than Skype a few years ago!) with their hardware and manufacturing expertise. They tanked the value of the company by focusing only on Windows Phone, and now they can buy the company at a discount price.

However, this probably means that Microsoft will be the only manufacturer of Windows Phones. Thus they are the only party responsible for bringing the WP business to success... and Xbox is the single only business they managed to create and bring to profit in the last 10 years. And now they managed to damage their reputation and possibly kill any profits on the new console generation...

Remember Vista? Older MS tablets? Zune? MS has been lagging behind Apple and Google for way too long. Not a good sign.

I bet Ballmer still regrets laughing at the iPhone when it was introduced by Apple... "Really, who's going to buy a phone at that price? LOL!" -Ballmer
Old 09-05-2013, 11:31 AM   #65
BeardedSonOfNel
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnSgtHartman View Post
No it is not that quite close. Basically WP8 and Windows 8 use .NET, but it is quite different from the standard .NET framework. A simple example: all your code reading/writing files using System.IO have to be completely rewritten in WinRT because Microsoft wanted to force developers to use C#5 async methods. MS wants responsive apps that don't block the UI thread, in fact they will block your app from the Windows Store if your app doesn't fit their requirements.

They have a good point, but they need to realize this forces developers to rewrite much of their .NET code... for a 3% market share instead of 80% like Android phones.
I target RT, and WP8. In most cases when porting between the two 90% of my code is usable. Data is often the non-reusable sections.

Moving to an HTML 5 solution to port to all major devices give me a 90%+ reuse of code.
Old 09-05-2013, 01:19 PM   #66
Wolfgang
Evil Dead

The suggested inside story of how the purchase happened: http://allthingsd.com/20130904/from-...okia-purchase/ (if we are to believe this, Elop wasn't involved much)

Nokia was already circling the drains prior to Windows Phone. Jumping to Android wouldn't have saved them either. The only company really making money off Android right now is Samsung. Also recall MS paid Nokia $1 Billion to use WP. They asked Google for cash and Google said no.

Nokia working on WP basically made them the #3 smartphone vendor. Samsung and Apple #1, #2 then you have HTC, ZTE, etc... and Nokia. Nokia become a dominant force because they choose not to go Android. I don't think them going Android would have helped. Also their internally developer OSs were well behind WP features and Meego (sp) needed at least a year to continue baking.

Tags
microsoft, nokia