Today 10:10 AM
1 Replies, 119 Views
» Promotion

Old 07-05-2013, 09:51 AM   #41
Hagetaka
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elrik Murder View Post
Wasn't there a hidden quest that was discovered just a few weeks back? Personally, I never finished the game (don't remember why).
Details are required.
Hagetaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:14 AM   #42
inscribed
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagetaka View Post
Details are required.
He might be referring to this? (FFIX)

http://kotaku.com/13-years-later-a-n...en-d-510041775
Old 07-05-2013, 10:41 AM   #43
Anenome
Autarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensei-X View Post
$1.99? Sure why not. Wait, $11.99? In their fucking dreams, pass.
Exactly.
Now this point definitely can't be argued.
Anenome is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 02:30 PM   #44
bean19
Butt Stallion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anenome View Post
Exactly.

Though I think premiering at $11.99 is fine. There are fans that probably bought it again for that. I'm just not one of them, and it would literally have to be $2 or less for me to pick this up. Even then, I wouldn't install it immediately, and might never install or play it. lol.
bean19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:35 PM   #45
gojira
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintBlitzkrieg View Post
As for the combat of 7, loved it. Absolutely loved it, and I would take a modernized version any day. I am so sick of the new combat systems. That is one of things that took me out of Tales of Vesperia. I was so bored with the combat. At least in the old RPGs, with the turned based combat you had decisions to make.
The game is fairly hard, and I've had a couple of near throw-the-game-controller moments already. And it's not some much hard or strategic, it's that it forces resource exhaustion. There's relative long stretches of plot and fighting where you don't have access to a "town" for resupply, and then you get a hard battle and you're out of potions, and it would be like 20 save points back to resupply.

And that's what forces strategy, because at that point you have to figure something out to beat the boss because you'd rather gouge your eyes out than replay all that fighting.

I'm fighting Rufus right now, with Cloud solo. It's not a hard fight, but I'm completely out of High Potions, and he's got stupid buffs I have to chew through, and Cloud doesn't have the chops right now solo, so I have to come up with something or it's going to be really painful to replay a lot of content. I got a couple of hints from some guides, and some of my own, but this is the kind of depth you get. It's really not hard per se, as it is reasonably good at making sure you're never too powerful.

It's fun, but in an old-school "I hate this game" sort of way. I refuse to use guides for prior planning, so it's kind of fun to experience the game with out knowing everything.
gojira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:45 PM   #46
Rommel
International Playboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gojira View Post
The game is fairly hard, and I've had a couple of near throw-the-game-controller moments already. And it's not some much hard or strategic, it's that it forces resource exhaustion. There's relative long stretches of plot and fighting where you don't have access to a "town" for resupply, and then you get a hard battle and you're out of potions, and it would be like 20 save points back to resupply.

And that's what forces strategy, because at that point you have to figure something out to beat the boss because you'd rather gouge your eyes out than replay all that fighting.

I'm fighting Rufus right now, with Cloud solo. It's not a hard fight, but I'm completely out of High Potions, and he's got stupid buffs I have to chew through, and Cloud doesn't have the chops right now solo, so I have to come up with something or it's going to be really painful to replay a lot of content. I got a couple of hints from some guides, and some of my own, but this is the kind of depth you get. It's really not hard per se, as it is reasonably good at making sure you're never too powerful.

It's fun, but in an old-school "I hate this game" sort of way. I refuse to use guides for prior planning, so it's kind of fun to experience the game with out knowing everything.
Funny, one of the critiques at the time was the game was too easy.
Rommel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 12:02 AM   #47
gojira
Evil Dead

Well, at the time it probably was. A lot of games back then were pretty brutally difficult. It added to "replayability" but it also made those games inaccessible to a lot of folks, myself included. I never had the time or inclination to learn the skills that it took to get really good at most games.

A lot of games nowadays are boring because they're just a walk in the park. There's no attempt at making them challenging but still fun to a large segment of players. FF7 feels like somebody worked pretty hard to make sure it was able to be beaten but still make the player feel like they had to work for it.
Old 07-06-2013, 11:20 AM   #48
Anenome
Autarchist

Chances are, Gojira, that you haven't figured out certain magic combinations that would make your job far easier right now. Discovering key materia in certain places can make the game vastly easier, and cut back on potions usage.
Old 07-06-2013, 11:40 AM   #49
bean19
Butt Stallion

@Rommel - I always made FF games artificially more difficult for myself because I never used items. With items, you basically could beat anything without any preparation unless you were skipping sections of the game (and even then you might prevail with them). By limiting myself to the skills my party has innately, the game was much more difficult.

Well, MOSTLY, I didn't use items. If the healer died, I'd use a Phoenix Down. I don't like consumable items in RPGs tbh. They feel like cheating.
Old 07-06-2013, 12:24 PM   #50
Anenome
Autarchist

Yeah, you can't avoid the occasional Phoenix Down.

Iirc, one of the ultimate tricks in FF7 is that a boss can reflection spells, but a spell cannot be reflected if you first reflect it off one of your own party members!

So you cast reflect on a party-member and damaging spells on them which will bounce onto the boss and can't be avoided.

One of the ultimate giant bosses near the end can only be attacked this way.
Old 07-06-2013, 03:13 PM   #51
gojira
Evil Dead

See? It's evil stuff like that that make the game hard. You can beat it, you just have to figure out the tactic. But it's guaranteed to give you hairballs if you don't use a guide or something. OTOH if you're young and friends with similar interests, it gives you an excuse to get more folks involved. More heads can figure stuff out that one wouldn't get.

I don't have time so I just get a guide when I get stuck.
Old 07-06-2013, 04:10 PM   #52
bean19
Butt Stallion

Tbh, that's a tactic used in a boss battle in FF3 (US), so it didn't effect me. Also, KotR kind of made this game retardedly easy, but you had to have raced and bread chocobos for a long time to get the unlock, so it made sense. I think most players beat the game without being KotR GODS on their first playthrough (or their first use of the no-return point save).
Old 07-06-2013, 04:14 PM   #53
Anenome
Autarchist

The fun part is when reflect wears off your character and you don't realize it in time and cast that ultimate damage spell, insta-gibbing them :P But that's rare.
Old 07-06-2013, 04:15 PM   #54
Anenome
Autarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bean19 View Post
Also, KotR kind of made this game retardedly easy, but you had to have raced and bread chocobos for a long time to get the unlock
Kotr? Explain. This is why acronyms get spelled out ._.
Old 07-06-2013, 04:57 PM   #55
Ravijn
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anenome View Post
Kotr? Explain. This is why acronyms get spelled out ._.
Knights of the Round. It was a summon spell.

Ravijn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 05:18 PM   #56
Anenome
Autarchist

Ah, yeah, I recalls now. Interesting to see him as a six winged seraphim there.

Tags
final fantasy vii, square enix, squaresoft