13 Replies, 1,345 Views
» Promotion

Old 04-09-2013, 08:54 AM   #21
bean19
Butt Stallion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic Pope View Post
Who is this guy again?
Back in 1981, he worked for the company that created the second RPG ever made in video game form: Ultima. Through the next decade he and his company made Ultima sequels, and though modern gamers would find any of this series very difficult to get through, they were considered excellent for their time. The last thing he did that made money was Ultima Online, one of the first generation of MMOs. It never had a million subscribers, but it often had over 100K and like the original Everquest, it is an MMO that has had legs lasting over a decade for it's small, devoted fanbase.

Since then, he worked on Tabula Rasa for NCSoft. Then he got into some trouble for selling his stock right before the game tanked and leaving the company. I think there was also a story about him spending several millions of dollars to go into low earth orbit (space) or something.

So basically, he's an ancient designer with nothing recent to his credit.
bean19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:08 PM   #22
That Guy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by bean19 View Post
So basically, he's an ancient designer with nothing recent to his credit.
Oh he's so much more than that. He bragged about the money Ultima Online was bringing in while players were experiencing game-destroying lag. He just didn't care about anything but the money. His ego is insulated by delusion. He's an asshole, and he's an asshole that cares about nothing outside his own skin. For those of you stupid enough to trust him with your money, I feel sorry for you. I wouldn't trust him to tell me the time of day.

Kickstarter (and crowd funding in general) is about people who don't have the money to fund a (hopefully) worthy\promising project. Not about some super-rich asshole who doesn't want to risk his own money. This rich asshole took advantage of nostalgia to sucker some people into funding him. That's right, this guy who squandered millions to go into space, did not believe in his own project enough to fund it.

I think that just about breaks it down for you. Would you have funded a Kickstarter for him to take a vanity trip to space? Of course not.

But you did fund a vanity game project for him.

I hope it works out for you, for your own sake.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:20 PM   #23
bean19
Butt Stallion

@That Guy - Ultima Online was a mess in the beta. I never liked it and never looked back, so I wasn't aware of the drama. I do know from a contracted white paper on MMOs that it was successful, so they must have worked it out eventually. . . and tbh, I can't think of one MMO from that generation that wasn't a complete mess for several months - usually right after launch.

I do remember reading about Ultima Online eventually becoming an urban sprawl of player-housing that further detracted from the gameplay as well as having a ton of exploits that allowed player-housing to be robbed. . . but again, I thought it was utter shit from the get-go, so I just considered those who stuck around masochists.
bean19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:56 AM   #24
drakkarim
Evil Dead

Location: in a van under the I-80 bridge, down by the missouri river
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnSgtHartman View Post
Garriot STILL has to apologize for the biggest piece of shit sequel that destroyed a franchise, Ultima 9. I'm still fucking mad at EA and this fucking clown of a game designer that couldn't get his own shit together.
this.

he will always be Lord Bitch to me because of what he did with U9.
drakkarim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 01:02 PM   #25
Zane
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
Oh he's so much more than that. He bragged about the money Ultima Online was bringing in while players were experiencing game-destroying lag. He just didn't care about anything but the money. His ego is insulated by delusion. He's an asshole, and he's an asshole that cares about nothing outside his own skin. For those of you stupid enough to trust him with your money, I feel sorry for you. I wouldn't trust him to tell me the time of day.

Kickstarter (and crowd funding in general) is about people who don't have the money to fund a (hopefully) worthy\promising project. Not about some super-rich asshole who doesn't want to risk his own money. This rich asshole took advantage of nostalgia to sucker some people into funding him. That's right, this guy who squandered millions to go into space, did not believe in his own project enough to fund it.

I think that just about breaks it down for you. Would you have funded a Kickstarter for him to take a vanity trip to space? Of course not.

But you did fund a vanity game project for him.

I hope it works out for you, for your own sake.
I think that about sums it up. Well that and the fact that he hasn't had a good game since the 90's and has produced several flops since his last success. Feel free to look up the list of games he's worked on, on Wikipedia and check the review scores if you don't recall the failures.

His comments about other designers sucking and being lazy are laughable when confronted with his record over the last 10-15 years.
Zane is offline   Reply With Quote