Need some advice
Last post by Balhem
Today 03:15 PM
13 Replies, 1,373 Views
» Promotion

Old 03-05-2013, 04:53 PM   #61
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

I'm not sure how EA can deny that they killed the Dead Space franchise when they closed the studio that was making the game. So, there is that.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:16 PM   #62
PSPfreak
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by drakkarim View Post
i think all the purists need to go have a circle jerk. i loved the 3rd one as much as the first 2. in fact i'm glad they changed the game a bit. if you want more of DS1, go play DS1. what's the point of paying and playing for the same game 3 times?

seriously, if they just made a DS1 version 3, bunch of people would bitch that its just like DS1 and there's nothing new.

this wasn't a dragon age ass raping, this was a tweak in a good direction i felt. if anything, it added to my enjoyment of the game.
I echo this. The co-op model in this game should be a standard for all games of this type. I've been playing the game through every mode since it was released. The game is great. As usual, everyone just loves to complain just to complain nowadays. The shift to action was fine. Sure, I miss the horror of DS1 and the creepiness of DS2, but DS3 sure did do a lot of things right as well.

I really do feel all anyone wants to do around here anymore is complain. Nothing is good, and we all know there are a certain group of the usual people around here that seem to say NOTHING good about anything anymore. I used to simply lurk around here and never post back when this community was really healthy, and seemingly soon after I actually join and start posting the forum quality starts to go to complete shit... go figure; I guess I'm responsible, lol. But whatever, gamers are too spoiled for their own good anymore.

DS3 was still a great game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintBlitzkrieg View Post
I don't believe in reviews.
PSPfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:55 PM   #63
Mav
Moderator & Nerd For Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozena View Post
So just like that the series is dead? And EA kills Visceral over it, too.

Hopefully we see some decent expanded games or side stories . . . EA might have killed it off, but Dead Space as a sci-fi franchise has a very interesting universe
Minus the whole necromorph thing, I would have loved to see a game about the expanded universe, give us more info on planetcrackers, let us see how the technological cities were like, etc
Raptr mavgeek
Twitter @Maverickroll
Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:57 PM   #64
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSPfreak View Post
I really do feel all anyone wants to do around here anymore is complain. Nothing is good, and we all know there are a certain group of the usual people around here that seem to say NOTHING good about anything anymore.
If we didn't care, we wouldn't comment at all. It is hard to be positive when big publishers kill off a franchise or change the nature of the franchise while adding useless multiplayer and microtransactions.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:20 PM   #65
Agnostic Pope
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiso View Post
This thread is already over. Thanks for spoiling everyone else's fun, EvAv.
Seriously. I logged in just to say EXACTLY WHAT EVIL said. PSPRAEG MODE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Jesus View Post
You sir, are my fucking hero!
Agnostic Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:19 PM   #66
PSPfreak
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
If we didn't care, we wouldn't comment at all. It is hard to be positive when big publishers kill off a franchise or change the nature of the franchise while adding useless multiplayer and microtransactions.
I don't see that multiplayer did anything to prevent DS2 from being a spectacular game; people make too big a deal out of crap like this. Did multiplayer detract from Uncharted being a great series? Hell no. People bitch about multiplayer even when the single-player is great. The most likely reason this happened is because not enough people bought the damn game; if they chose not to because the game wasn't "horror" enough for them or because they judged the game based on trivial shit when they hadn't even tried it... their fault.

I'm tired of people playing the same generic crap, ignoring the GOOD franchises and then bitching when they get bigger and then go under. Likely the biggest reason the franchise is being cancelled is because not enough people supported the latest iteration, which was fantastic.

I guess something about games being classified as "action" these days somehow gets them crucified like a German at a Bar mitzvah for some bizarre reason.
Quote:
Old 03-05-2013, 10:25 PM   #67
Agnostic Pope
Evil Dead

Quote:
I'm tired of people playing the same generic crap, ignoring the GOOD franchises and then bitching when they get bigger and then go under. Likely the biggest reason the franchise is being cancelled is because not enough people supported the latest iteration, which was fantastic.
Um...DS3 was stupid fun. But it was pretty generic. So was any other "sequel" shooter video game in the last 3 years. Dead Space started as a "survival" game and became an action game. Sadly this didn't need to happen as we already have quite a few of those. If only games had great narrative without becoming "Transformer" like. I'm thinking Max Payne 3 with SOCOM gameplay..meh never gonna happen.
Quote:
Old 03-05-2013, 11:51 PM   #68
IndependentGMR
Evil Dead

DS3 is generic crap. How many fucking elevators and/or doors can suddenly become inoperable while enemies poor out of vents? The action did kill this series. It turned the gameplay into shit.
IndependentGMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:38 AM   #69
Vertigon
Knight

You guys are all over the board on your facts:
* There never, ever was a Dead Space 4 in the works, so there was nothing to cancel.
* Visceral Games Redwood Shores is not closing, that was Visceral Games Montreal.
* Visceral Montreal isn't really Visceral anyway, it's just the Army of Two team that they slapped the Visceral name onto (a small number of which outsourced some assets for Dead Space 3).
* Visceral Games RWS isn't really a separate studio at all, it is just part of the fourth floor of the game development building in the main corporate HQ. There are executives all over the place (they occupy part of the same floor), so while it has a glimmer of its own culture, it is not independent of corporate EA by any stretch of the imagination.
* Executives were very specific about pushing Dead Space 3 more into the action direction (including human enemies), and the team was held to task for this by management every step of the way.
* Despite marketing's backpedaling on the issue, the words "we don't want DS3 to be as scary as DS2" or "what if this is too scary for our target audience" was said to the team by important people many times during development.
Vertigon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:48 AM   #70
Anenome
Autarchist

Quote:
* Executives were very specific about pushing Dead Space 3 more into the action direction (including human enemies), and the team was held to task for this by management every step of the way.
Yeah, this is what we've been saying.
Anenome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 02:00 AM   #71
PSPfreak
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndependentGMR View Post
DS3 is generic crap. How many fucking elevators and/or doors can suddenly become inoperable while enemies poor out of vents? The action did kill this series. It turned the gameplay into shit.
Another textbook example of a cynical, spoiled "gamer." Generic shit doesn't look as good as DS3. Turned the gameplay into crap??? The gameplay is exactly the same as DS2, which was silk smooth and fun.

Funny how you complain about things that have been a mainstay of this whole series while trying to pass it off as if it was something DS3 "changed into." Did you even play the first two entries of the series?

Wah, wah, wah. If something stays the same, people bitch it needs to "do more." If something changes, people bitch that it "just isn't the same anymore." People in general are just loathsome with their cynicism now.
Quote:
Old 03-06-2013, 07:32 AM   #72
GodFather
Evil Dead

I loved the Dead Space series up till 3, and I was extremely disappointed with it. Im glad its shelved, I think we have enough sic-fi action shooters on the market. They should have stuck with the horror gameplay, I sold the game back two minutes after I finished it, and thats something I normally dont do.
GodFather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:51 AM   #73
Elrik Murder
Hero in a Half-Shell

Man, we must not be playing the same game. DS3 has a number of improvements over its predecessor. Namely, and the biggest, ONLY NEEDED ONE TYPE OF AMMO CLIP!!! All ammo is universal now! I can't tell you how satisfying it is not worrying about ammo micro-management (and why I pick up ammo x from containers when I need ammo y).

The co-op is great, well implemented, and, more importantly, it is FUN! It works really well in DS (I was skeptical myself). Hell, I spend more time with my friend exploring caches and completing side-missions than advancing the story. We just progressed to Chapter 9 and it has been a very cool journey with some truly cool sequences (Uncharted-ish).

Lastly, the weapon creation system is immersive and rewarding. I made a truly bad @$$ chain-gun/rocket launcher with the materials I collected before I ended my last game session. The satisfaction of making such a weapon is worth the price of resource collecting (which admittedly, can seem out of place, but is by no means a jarring experience). I find it pertinent to find more resources so I can build even more powerful components (and I just found a piece that should expedite the resource collection, though I have not tested it yet) to yield even more powerful weapons. Coupled with the silly fact that my friend and I compete to build the craziest gun we can, I find the weapon modification/creation the coolest thing about this entry to be honest. It can be bulky. However, once you get the hang of it, you will spend a lot of time with it, and ultimately, you will walk away with a smile on your face as you lay down death to everything that jumps out of the darkness.

The game has its quirks. For example, we found a weird bug when we missed a side-mission in Chp. 5 and tried to tackle it in Chp. 7 <- you do a little backtracking in some spots like before. I miss manual save as well.

So my mini-review as of now (disclaimer: I've only played co-op): play this game, but play it with a friend b/c this is DS in a new light and I enjoy the Hell out of it. I would be more than happy to update my impressions if anyone is interested. I just wanted to shed some light on my experiences with the game b/c DS3 is getting crapped on and I honestly don't see why.

"A guarentee from Gamestop is like a guarentee from a hooker; someone always gets screwed." ~Sandman
Elrik Murder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:47 AM   #74
RocketMagnet
Subscriber

All the changes were designed to significantly improve sales and were driven directly
by the execs while introducing resource Microtransactions to gouge the gullable.
All these things seem to have impacted sales the wrong way..
So nobody to blame other than the Exec team, yet I'd also bullet the team that
advised them on the changes but ultimately its the CEOs fault.

I do understand your average Bro gamer would like yet another set piece action title
but clearly many people crave different experiences. I do get peoples points
about evolving the series.. but imo they should have evolved the unique atributes not turned it into every other game out there.

Simple plain fact despite all the personal opinions it sold poorly despite a massive
increase in advertisement costs over DS1/2.. so they were wrong to change it the way they did QED.

Would i enjoy it.. possibly but i cant support the Microtransactions taking advantage
of the vunerable so wont buy it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZR6-u8OIJTE

Seriously people defending EA's microtransaction models.. really...look up people^
RocketMagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:56 AM   #75
SaintBlitzkrieg
On Hiatus For Awhile

Oh you mean the microtransaction model that was reported, that basically said "every game would offer that"...

You do know they clarified that statement today, saying that they are implementing that model but not in the form reported. They will make it easier for developers to allow that in their games, but its not a mandatory requirement...

You can read more

http://www.polygon.com/2013/3/6/4070...exec-clarifies
Old 03-06-2013, 12:12 PM   #76
RocketMagnet
Subscriber

A fair bit of chat around them not clarifying but changing the comments but i'm
not personally sure, but they currently exist in DS3 that isnt FTP.

In the linked video he does however explicity state free to buy and but
his comments are still genuinely disturbing even without the music and it being FTP.

WHY?;

As current practice demonstrates they were keen to shoehorn in FTP
mechanisms into DS3... what makes you think they won't cross this
mechanism over also.. they have "form" already. Only the consumer backlash
seems to have made them reconsider??

Yes I think it was stunningly foolish to incorporate MTs into DS3, i'd bullet those
responsibe for the idea in a heartbeat as its pure incompetance...

TBH if it wasnt for backlashes against such questionable business practices
you'd be paying for fuel in racing games, ammo for your weapons etc etc.. be carefull
what you defend.. ohh and it is ironic complaining about people complaining is it not? .

Yes fair enough argue opinion but seriously the sales data is showing the execs
got it wrong and hopefully them damaging game mechanics to fit in MTs will be
limited and perhaps stop.

Honestly do you think the MTs fundamentlay helped or hindered the gameplay by inclusion?
RocketMagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:34 PM   #77
PSPfreak
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elrik Murder View Post
Man, we must not be playing the same game. DS3 has a number of improvements over its predecessor. Namely, and the biggest, ONLY NEEDED ONE TYPE OF AMMO CLIP!!! All ammo is universal now! I can't tell you how satisfying it is not worrying about ammo micro-management (and why I pick up ammo x from containers when I need ammo y).

The co-op is great, well implemented, and, more importantly, it is FUN! It works really well in DS (I was skeptical myself). Hell, I spend more time with my friend exploring caches and completing side-missions than advancing the story. We just progressed to Chapter 9 and it has been a very cool journey with some truly cool sequences (Uncharted-ish).

Lastly, the weapon creation system is immersive and rewarding. I made a truly bad @$$ chain-gun/rocket launcher with the materials I collected before I ended my last game session. The satisfaction of making such a weapon is worth the price of resource collecting (which admittedly, can seem out of place, but is by no means a jarring experience). I find it pertinent to find more resources so I can build even more powerful components (and I just found a piece that should expedite the resource collection, though I have not tested it yet) to yield even more powerful weapons. Coupled with the silly fact that my friend and I compete to build the craziest gun we can, I find the weapon modification/creation the coolest thing about this entry to be honest. It can be bulky. However, once you get the hang of it, you will spend a lot of time with it, and ultimately, you will walk away with a smile on your face as you lay down death to everything that jumps out of the darkness.

The game has its quirks. For example, we found a weird bug when we missed a side-mission in Chp. 5 and tried to tackle it in Chp. 7 <- you do a little backtracking in some spots like before. I miss manual save as well.

So my mini-review as of now (disclaimer: I've only played co-op): play this game, but play it with a friend b/c this is DS in a new light and I enjoy the Hell out of it. I would be more than happy to update my impressions if anyone is interested. I just wanted to shed some light on my experiences with the game b/c DS3 is getting crapped on and I honestly don't see why.
Seriously, just about everything about the game was quality, there were plenty of innovations and most of the new mechanics were all rock solid, not to mention this game was practically the epitome of a perfect co-op model for this type of game. DS2 was a big evolution from DS1, and the same is true about DS3 from DS2, and that's impressive because the quality was so high in DS2 it was hard to do much better with it. But they did.

First Resident Evil (namely RE6 which was admittedly not as quality a title as DS3) and now Dead Space. People really seem to have a hard time stomaching change these days and want to take it out on the games with poor scores that are poorly decided. Again, for some reason the word "action" relating to a game seems to garner a lot of anger for some strange reason.

But for the record, I haven't seen many "bad" scores for DS3 from what I've seen so far. Good games don't always sell well anyways.
Quote:
Old 03-06-2013, 02:15 PM   #78
Agnostic Pope
Evil Dead

Quote:
Wah, wah, wah. If something stays the same, people bitch it needs to "do more." If something changes, people bitch that it "just isn't the same anymore." People in general are just loathsome with their cynicism now.
When did anybody say "oh jeez we don't have enough action games out there let's make Dead Space one!" again? Right. Never. Just because you are okay with the removal of all things horror doesn't mean we are. It isn't cynicism as much as it is disappointment. DS3 isn't a bad action game, it is just another action game with some "boo" moment and guro.
Quote:
Old 03-06-2013, 02:22 PM   #79
Agnostic Pope
Evil Dead

Quote:
First Resident Evil (namely RE6 which was admittedly not as quality a title as DS3) and now Dead Space.
Major understatement. DS3 was miles ahead on quality over RE6. (fair comparison though, both action games with too many Michael Bay explosions moments and BOOS) We just needed more Leon Campaigns/fuck Chris campaign, make headshots count, 500% less QTE's and fuckin Jill Valentine over Ada. A targeting system would have been nice as well. The melee stamina system is welcomed though. So is DS3's weapon crafting system even though it pretty much made me invincible. Isaac should have been mute. :P
Quote:
Old 03-06-2013, 03:11 PM   #80
Capt_Thad
Do a Barrell Roll

Not sure if you guys are following the updates on other sites, but word seems to be that Videogamer's article is completely false.

Videogamer tossed up a response article - http://www.videogamer.com/news/dead_...statement.html

Tags
fuck you i like it!, mental sub-normals